• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Any of you guys using Safari 12.1 and macOS Mojave 10.14.4 experience this on youtube?

wp9suj2.png

I started seeing this after I updated my macOS recently. I see this by doing the following steps:
1) Login to my google account on youtube
2) Go watch a video
if I am not logged in or I'm on the main page of youtube, the top bar loads just fine. But if I click on a video after logged in, then that's what I see. If you guys experience this as well, got any fix?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Why would it say that? Afaik the iPhone only writes sleep data to Health if you use the bedtime alarm feature (= fixed sleep length based on the settings there) and it doesn't do some pseudo-magically auto detection based on movement.

I have no idea. I do use the bedtime feature, so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 5, 2017
Any of you guys using Safari 12.1 and macOS Mojave 10.14.4 experience this on youtube?

wp9suj2.png

I started seeing this after I updated my macOS recently. I see this by doing the following steps:
1) Login to my google account on youtube
2) Go watch a video
if I am not logged in or I'm on the main page of youtube, the top bar loads just fine. But if I click on a video after logged in, then that's what I see. If you guys experience this as well, got any fix?

Open Safari in a New Private Window and do the exact same thing and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't and Youtube is loading ok in the New Private Window, then that means that there is some conflict between the extensions you have loaded with Safari. Disable all extensions and enable then 1 by 1 and check which is one is the culprit.

Oct 27, 2017
Rumors that later in the year Apple will launch a high fidelity music streaming service for 14.99 a month.

Are there recommended Qi chargers for this and other Apple products (iPhone Xs Max, might buy an Apple Watch in the future)?

Go to Amazon and get the Yootech Qi charger. It's cheap and works every bit as good as the 70+ dollar chargers.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think there's money in high fidelity music streaming services, particularly not in a time where subscription costs are starting to pile up massively. Does Apple sell any product that would benefit from it except maybe HomePod? On the other hand, probably not a ton of effort to add another audio format to Apple Music with fallback to regular. We'll see. I'm not interested anyhow lol

On a second thought, we are still waiting on the rumored AirPhones. That, a HomePod Refresh/Mini, maybe the next-gen higher-end AirPods tied in with a high fidelity streaming announcement? Doesn't sound too bad 🤷‍♂️

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Rumors that later in the year Apple will launch a high fidelity music streaming service for 14.99 a month.
I guess we'll finally get AptX HD and hopefully LDAC support in iOS13. Because if we're stuck at AAC that doesn't make much sense.

Unless there's going to be a new AAC HD codec.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to see Apple launching a high fidelity music service when 99% of people will never know the difference between 256kbps AAC and lossless, and the Bluetooth audio Apple is pushing people towards can't handle actual lossless anyway (even AptX HD is lossy)

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to see Apple launching a high fidelity music service when 99% of people will never know the difference between 256kbps AAC and lossless, and the Bluetooth audio Apple is pushing people towards can't handle actual lossless anyway (even AptX HD is lossy)

I'd have been willing to pay the iTunes Plus 30¢ extra charge to upgrade all my old 128/256Kbps purchases to Apple Lossless, and they haven't obliged. I doubt they'll do it when bandwidth is a concern.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Open Safari in a New Private Window and do the exact same thing and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't and Youtube is loading ok in the New Private Window, then that means that there is some conflict between the extensions you have loaded with Safari. Disable all extensions and enable then 1 by 1 and check which is one is the culprit.
Thank you for sharing that. Turns out, I just needed to disable and re-enable all the extensions. I could see the new Safari are loading extensions differently as well as the extension icons appear to have moved from the left side to the right side of the tool bar. Now youtube is functioning normally for me again!

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

Go to Amazon and get the Yootech Qi charger. It's cheap and works every bit as good as the 70+ dollar chargers.

Yootech [2 Pack] Wireless Charger Qi-Certified 7.5W Wireless Charging Compatible with iPhone Xs MAX/XR/XS/X/8Plus,10W for Galaxy Galaxy S10/S10 Plus/S10E/S9,5W All Qi-Enabled Phones (No AC Adapter) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GW9S9TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Rb-WCbV7Z5FKB

This one? Me and wife have iPhone X that would charge wirelessly. ( I actually did not know the watch didn't charge on these, guess air power had me thinking that was standard too)

I'm looking for my first wireless chargers. We have the watch but I was thinking of just jimmying something up to make it sit flat better.

I suppose I could buy a wireless charging case for my AirPods 1 but that seems pointless.

Oct 27, 2017
Yootech [2 Pack] Wireless Charger Qi-Certified 7.5W Wireless Charging Compatible with iPhone Xs MAX/XR/XS/X/8Plus,10W for Galaxy Galaxy S10/S10 Plus/S10E/S9,5W All Qi-Enabled Phones (No AC Adapter) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GW9S9TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Rb-WCbV7Z5FKB

This one? Me and wife have iPhone X that would charge wirelessly. ( I actually did not know the watch didn't charge on these, guess air power had me thinking that was standard too)

I'm looking for my first wireless chargers. We have the watch but I was thinking of just jimmying something up to make it sit flat better.

I suppose I could buy a wireless charging case for my AirPods 1 but that seems pointless.
Yep. Those will charge your phones and also Airpods.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does iPad have a battery health option somewhere? My 12.9 seems to run down pretty quickly so wanted to check. It may just be significant screen on time but even just safari seems fast

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Does iPad have a battery health option somewhere? My 12.9 seems to run down pretty quickly so wanted to check. It may just be significant screen on time but even just safari seems fast
Nope, you can use Coconut Battery on a Mac though.

Also, what Fliesen said. Computers steal our time like nothing else

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

You could post your battery usage stats over the last 24 hours. Oftentimes we simply underestimate our usage patterns. Whenever my girlfriend complains about bad battery life on her phone, i show her the stats "You've been on Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and iMessage with a screen-on time of a total of 90 minutes ever since unplugging your phone"

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Grandma asks for me to setup her new iPhone. Turns out that means Facebook.

Doesn't know her password. Wrong email is linked.

I went on to her PC and I added 3 people for account recover and her phone number.

2 of those people don't know there passwords when they go to Facebook.com/recovery......is there a way to access the same thing via the App? I could not see a way.

So now I'm going to try and see if it will let me add more people for account recovery and hope I don't get booted out of her PC account and not get back in without a password.

I thought FB used to just ask you for an ID photo when you were locked out? I haven't used it in years now.

Once I get it setup I'm making sure keychain is turned on and collecting her Facebook and email password. I lost hours of my time to this nonsense today, and she went from a freaky iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7 after I told her it was not worth the upgrade, get something better (somehow she's a millionaire)

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Well looks like the email abandoned is one from her service provider "Bell" so with zero knowledge I'm going to assume I can get it solved, that a phone call, I'm going to ask for a manager right away and get her email back working and Thus Facebook password reset. Such a bloody cliche. Is that the right word?

Ah well, I'm hoping this is the straw the broke the camels back that she doesn't know what she's doing so I can set her stuff up for her better and get her PC switched over to Mac in the meantime. She can't handle this android window bullshit

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda obsessed with this Moment lens I got for my XS. I'm so basic.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Do you mean USB wall adapters? If so yes.

Yeah, I'll get the full 7.5w?

I think I'm going to order this one bc it's 10 bucks more but you get the stand up base which seems nice with Face ID.

Now I need make sure it's not Bout to come on sale before I buy,

Anker PowerWave Fast Wireless Charger Stand, Qi-Certified, 7.5W Compatible iPhone XS Max/XR/XS/X/8/8 Plus, 10W Charges Galaxy S9/S9+/S8/S8+/Note 8, and 5W Charges All Qi-Enabled Phones (No AC Adapter) (BLACK) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DBXNV58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_KVtXCb60DJC1B

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you have an old Samsung phone, those adapters of theirs support fast charging with is higher than 7.5w. The actual charger won't take more than it's capable of though.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Apple lighting charge cables are so damn cheaply made. After just two years the charge cable on my iPhone started to crack and fray. Some type of green goop would leak onto my fingers every time I touched it. I ended up having to buy another one. And they're expensive. 😡

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Apple lighting charge cables are so damn cheaply made. After just two years the charge cable on my iPhone started to crack and fray. Some type of green goop would leak onto my fingers every time I touched it. I ended up having to buy another one. And they're expensive. 😡
I tend to buy 3rd party lightning cables (usually fabric ones) - they're often actually more resilient than the Apple version and cheaper.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda obsessed with this Moment lens I got for my XS. I'm so basic.

Then lens attachments are pretty nice, as they can substantially boost your image options and are still way more portable than a larger camera. I got some Xenvo ones with a dual macro and wide-angle and they're really useful. Only problem is like everything that's not my phone I have to remember to take them with me.

I kind of regretted not taking my DSLR to Europe for my vacation for images but utterly appreciated not having to deal with the extra bulk when traveling super-light. Now that I've got an XS that can do 2x, RAW, and I have the lenses for better building shots, closeups, etc. I wouldn't feel badly about the choice at all.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Then lens attachments are pretty nice, as they can substantially boost your image options and are still way more portable than a larger camera. I got some Xenvo ones with a dual macro and wide-angle and they're really useful. Only problem is like everything that's not my phone I have to remember to take them with me.

I kind of regretted not taking my DSLR to Europe for my vacation for images but utterly appreciated not having to deal with the extra bulk when traveling super-light. Now that I've got an XS that can do 2x, RAW, and I have the lenses for better building shots, closeups, etc. I wouldn't feel badly about the choice at all.
How are either of you liking the Moment Case?

Pics make it look nice, but how thick are you finding it for everyday use?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I got an Apple TV 4K, are there any cool/hidden tricks to use it for?
  • If you tap to show the progress bar and then tap again, it will show the end time (that's for the Apple stock player, third party developers don't necessarily implement this)
  • You can ask Siri what was said and she'll rewind for a few seconds and play with subtitles turned on (same caveat as above)
  • You can use the side of the Siri remote to quickly scroll in views where there is a "chunk slider" like in photos
  • You can press and hold the TV button to put your ATV to sleep
  • You can press and hold the play-pause button on the home screen to bring up the audio output selection
  • You can press the menu button on the home screen to change to the screen saver
  • You can tap once on the screen saver view to display locale info of what's being shown if you use the aerial screensaver (why wouldn't you)

I think that about exhausts my knowledge of (semi)hidden tricks.

Oct 25, 2017
How are either of you liking the Moment Case?

Pics make it look nice, but how thick are you finding it for everyday use?

I found it rather obnoxious given that I'm not going to be using it every day, which is why I gave it to a friend and got the Xenvos. They just clip on so they're going to be compatible with future models, and the lenses plus strap it comes with is small enough that when I am interested in going on a trip with them it's not much extra bulk (it'll fit in a pocket no problem.)

The Moment case and lenses feel very much like an Apple solution (tightly integrated and higher quality) but it wasn't really a good fit for my needs.

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I got an Apple TV 4K, are there any cool/hidden tricks to use it for?

I well if you are dumb like me you discover screen mirror and how awesome airplay is months after you own it. You can say play this on my tv to do it quickly.

They just had an update few weeks back that lets you say on your phone "play paw patrol on my tv" and it comes up on lock screen with volume controls and stuff.

I like linking my HomePod with Apple TV for music so it uses my sound bar and HomePod together for music. But than it only lets me control tv volume through remote app I think, which is kind of wierd.

Idk if this would be worth linking together for movies too? My sound bar will supposedly use wireless speakers for a surround sound but idk that it will do it with HomePod. Probably just sound like stereo sound around me.

I like using AirPods with Apple TV, but that Hasn't been perfect for me yet.

Why can't we turn our tv on and off with Siri?

.....ok? How come when I try to screen share Netflix to Apple TV it says this show is not available to watch instantly on my Netflix app on the iPad?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/6/1...-wont-let-you-beam-shows-to-apple-tvs-anymore

Oh wow. That's lame.

Last edited:

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've been watching videos on how to preserve the battery life and longevity of my iPhone. Is it okay to leave my iPhone plugged in overnight as I sleep? Seems like a very silly question. But I've heard no in some circumstances.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I own an iPhone XS, Homepod, Apple TV 4K and I've been using an Apple Watch series 4 for the last few weeks.
I personally think this is the strangest product Apple have ever released based on price. I can't honestly think why anyone would consider this as something worth what Apple charge for it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use budgeting apps for daily expenses? I don't need full budgeting - we have our bills/monthly/yearly expenses etc sorted. I just want something to quickly track daily purchases to avoid death by a thousand cuts. Very easy to buy an occasional coffee or sandwich and over the month it costs a lot

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I've been watching videos on how to preserve the battery life and longevity of my iPhone. Is it okay to leave my iPhone plugged in overnight as I sleep? Seems like a very silly question. But I've heard no in some circumstances.
Yes, fine.

People that say no aren't up to date on their battery tech.

Oct 25, 2017
  • If you tap to show the progress bar and then tap again, it will show the end time (that's for the Apple stock player, third party developers don't necessarily implement this)
  • You can ask Siri what was said and she'll rewind for a few seconds and play with subtitles turned on (same caveat as above)
  • You can use the side of the Siri remote to quickly scroll in views where there is a "chunk slider" like in photos
  • You can press and hold the play-pause button on the home screen to bring up the audio output selection
  • You can press the menu button on the home screen to change to the screen saver
  • You can tap once on the screen saver view to display locale info of what's being shown if you use the aerial screensaver (why wouldn't you)

These are good tips. If someone wants extra functionality, remember you can side load some apps to the Apple TV as well, like Provenance, a real good retro game emulator.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe you used to not want batteries to charge all the way, but that isn't true anymore (if it ever was).

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I well if you are dumb like me you discover screen mirror and how awesome airplay is months after you own it. You can say play this on my tv to do it quickly.

They just had an update few weeks back that lets you say on your phone "play paw patrol on my tv" and it comes up on lock screen with volume controls and stuff.

I like linking my HomePod with Apple TV for music so it uses my sound bar and HomePod together for music. But than it only lets me control tv volume through remote app I think, which is kind of wierd.

Idk if this would be worth linking together for movies too? My sound bar will supposedly use wireless speakers for a surround sound but idk that it will do it with HomePod. Probably just sound like stereo sound around me.

I like using AirPods with Apple TV, but that Hasn't been perfect for me yet.

Why can't we turn our tv on and off with Siri?

.....ok? How come when I try to screen share Netflix to Apple TV it says this show is not available to watch instantly on my Netflix app on the iPad?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/6/1...-wont-let-you-beam-shows-to-apple-tvs-anymore

Oh wow. That's lame.
These are good, thank you.
I don't have too much use for beaming content from my iPhone right now, but it should come in handy in the future.
I just hope they won't release a refresh with an A12X chip or something this September because I will impulsively need to have it 😬

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you used to not want batteries to charge all the way, but that isn't true anymore (if it ever was).

You still don't want to charge them "all the way" - which is why when your phone shows 100% it's actually not 100% of the batteries capacity, but somewhere below that.

The main truth to all of these battery worries is:
The inconvenience you go through to maybe(!) saving 1% of additional battery degradation in a year - by unplugging it over night, by unplugging it at 80% or some crap like that ... is simply not worth it.
It's like driving 10 miles to a remote gas station just to save $4 on a full tank. The time and energy you waste isn't worth those minimal savings.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm again getting the itch for a HomePod. I don't like buying Apple stuff mid-cycle and I'm not sure about Apple's plans for it besides the rumored cheaper versions, but short of maybe waiting for WWDC I think I'm decided. Amazon Echo Dot + a soundbar with bluetooth doesn't quite cut it mainly because a) Apple Music support on Echo devices is region locked and I'm out of luck and b) I don't like how it changes TV input when I just want to listen to some music off the soundbar and c) lack of AirPlay 2 unless I use it through the Apple TV.

I don't like some of its fundamentals as a device but it still seems like a nifty little thing to use, move it around as desired etc.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm again getting the itch for a HomePod. I don't like buying Apple stuff mid-cycle and I'm not sure about Apple's plans for it besides the rumored cheaper versions, but short of maybe waiting for WWDC I think I'm decided. Amazon Echo Dot + a soundbar with bluetooth doesn't quite cut it mainly because a) Apple Music support on Echo devices is region locked and I'm out of luck and b) I don't like how it changes TV input when I just want to listen to some music off the soundbar and c) lack of AirPlay 2 unless I use it through the Apple TV.

I don't like some of its fundamentals as a device but it still seems like a nifty little thing to use, move it around as desired etc.
Honestly, get one. I've owned mine for about six months now and the sound from it is unbelievable. I've no idea how Apple engineered this little thing to sound so good.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Had to do some HomeKit organization stuff today, decided to do it on the macOS app since I haven't really used it since Mojave Beta last year. It still sucks ass. Image picker still doesn't work and takes relative ages to process after a drag and drop. It doesn't accept HEIC images (holy shit Apple, you established this as a new default format in your ecosystem). Text fields behave abnormally. You still have to fucking scroll in the date picker instead of being 100x faster by just entering the time with your keyboard. The UI is still terrible, why the hell is the option to edit a room tucked a way in the menu bar, why would I want enormous square buttons for each device on a computer with a precise pointer input.

It's infuriating that they don't even give a shit.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know about cycle refresh on this thing but we liked ours enough that I got a second one for my office. I listen to it all day and love it.

I have Bowers and Wilkins speakers for my PC and they sound just as good but I'm won over by the convenience of just telling Siri what to play on a whim. I also love that I can have my Apple TV push the audio to my office, so if there's a sports event that I'm loosely interested in I'll do that while it's on TV in another room.

Last edited: