• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
So the longstanding e-mail account that I've always used for iTunes (and thus app, movie, TV, etc) purchases died an unexpected death yesterday.

I'm trying to change my iTunes e-mail to the one that is my iCloud stuff and it seems that merge isn't possible. That stems from me having an iTunes account long before even Mobile Me was a thing (let alone iCloud).

The fuckery involved with this is astounding. One tech even suggested that he had just abandoned his original content when this happened to him.

wait, the email you used to purchase stuff in itunes (i'm assuming on your devices) was different than your appleID?

I wasn't even aware that was possible. Interesting.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
wait, the email you used to purchase stuff in itunes (i'm assuming on your devices) was different than your appleID?

I wasn't even aware that was possible. Interesting.

Multiple Apple IDs.. mine predates Apple offering e-mail addresses in any form. By the time they did (required for mail, etc) I had too many purchases. They have been promising a way to merge things for years.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone using Reeder 4 on iOS?
When I mark items as read, go back to the feed list, and then return to the item list, the read items are still there. They disappear only after refreshing/syncing manually. Is this happening to anyone else, too? It worked perfectly fine in Reeder 3. The read items were removed immediately after returning to the feed list.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a workaround for using a cellular Apple Watch with an iPhone on a prepaid plan? Like, could I activate the feature by inserting a SIM into my iPhone that's assigned to a contract with eSIM-support, then swap the SIM back to mine and receive my phones notifications? Or will the cellular functionality refuse to work if I remove the assigned SIM? I have a hard time wrapping my head around how this works on a technical level. The Watch uses the cellular feature to sync with the iPhone at home, right? Basically like what a non-LTE Watch does if you are connected to a known Wifi somewhere and your phone is at home?

It sucks ass there are no seemingly no prepaid add-ons for this, I don't use my phone nearly enough to justify any contract but I would pay a few bucks for the added convenience of an always connected Watch.

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a mid 2012 MacBook Air I've been rocking for awhile. Is the 2017 MacBook a good upgrade? It's on sale for $899 at bestbuy this week. Thanks in advance!

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
When I mark items as read, go back to the feed list, and then return to the item list, the read items are still there. They disappear only after refreshing/syncing manually. Is this happening to anyone else, too? It worked perfectly fine in Reeder 3. The read items were removed immediately after returning to the feed list.
FWIW I think this is actually a problem Feedly is having right now if that's what you use

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a bit strange right now and not working like v3. I have to go into a different category and then go back to my unread for them to disappear.

Worse, the first week or so I just didn't get updates at all, so the app was truly useless for me. Then, it just started working finally after a delete and reinstall. It's buggy, and not really an improvement over v3, but hopefully it gets updates since the code is now unified (as the developer claims on Twitter).

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW I think this is actually a problem Feedly is having right now if that's what you use

No, it's definitely Reeder. I'm using Feedbin, and Reeder 3, which I still have installed, works just as before.

Yeah, it's a bit strange right now and not working like v3. I have to go into a different category and then go back to my unread for them to disappear.

Worse, the first week or so I just didn't get updates at all, so the app was truly useless for me. Then, it just started working finally after a delete and reinstall. It's buggy, and not really an improvement over v3, but hopefully it gets updates since the code is now unified (as the developer claims on Twitter).

It's basically a buggy new coat of paint. As for updates, I'll believe it when I see it. Reeder 3 was basically abandoned after launch and received just a handful small bugfixes.

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically a buggy new coat of paint. As for updates, I'll believe it when I see it. Reeder 3 was basically abandoned after launch and received just a handful small bugfixes.

I would just like an option to click an article title and have that open up the built-in reader thing instead of clicking the tiny icon on the bottom row. Why this isn't an option is strange to me. I dunno.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife saw that size comparison for the case and canceled my order for the Pro. She's fine with the Airpods. At least enough so to not want to carry around that Pro charging case.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So, I read this...frankly super depressing article about AirPods earlier today on Vice.

What's the best way to deal with this?

Take 'em back to Apple to recycle? Just shove my fingers in my ears and try to ignore it?

I really like the devices quite a bit, but I've never thought of them this way...
As I've expressed multiple times on here, that's precisely my sentiment too and why I'll be using mine until they're completely done for. However, that article is strangely over-melodramatic ("Apple's products take value from dirt, blood, sweat, and tears you don't see on its clean, white packaging. They take value from human aches, pains, and fatigue." - give me a break).

Wireless earbuds just shift the failure component from cable to battery imo. And because AirPods are considerably more expensive your average person will a) hold on to them longer and b) look after them more than common wired headphones contrary to what this article might suggest. I know for a fact I broke the cable of a pair of in-ear wired buds each year, meanwhile I'm still happily using my launch day pair of AirPods that I've neither misplaced, washed nor lost.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've got a mid 2012 MacBook Air I've been rocking for awhile. Is the 2017 MacBook a good upgrade? It's on sale for $899 at bestbuy this week. Thanks in advance!

What do you use it for? Because my late 2011 mbp still works fine for a lot of things. I personally wouldn't buy a new macbook because of the keyboard issues. So I'd wait if you can for new models to come out.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that you could give your AirPods (and any other computer product: iPad, iPhone, Mac) back to Apple for them to recycle them?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought that you could give your AirPods (and any other computer product: iPad, iPhone, Mac) back to Apple for them to recycle them?

Yep, you can.

j9lLkbl.jpg

Fun fact, you can also drop off anything electronic to be recycled at an Apple Store. I dropped off a broken 3DS

Oct 25, 2017
It's totally reasonable to point out the downsides of consumer culture. It's laughable to ascribe the problems of e-waste to Apple. They aren't the biggest PC sellers, and they're the best PC sellers in the business from an environmental and working conditions standpoint.

I definitely agree that wireless headphones are uniquely terrible compared to alternatives, but I'm going to rock wired headphones until I physically can't.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you run a car at times when you could, if willing to sacrifice an hour or two of your time, walk or use public transport? Do you eat meat several times a week? Do you sometimes throw out packaging that could be recycled with a bit more effort? Do you perhaps on occasion purchase beverages that come in a container that might not be especially environmentally friendly instead of providing your own reusable cup? Ever fly when, with just a bit more time and money you could travel by land? If so, stop tormenting yourself over whether or not you might have to replace some tiny earbuds after a few years. No-one can be perfect.

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

I'm not happy with Reeder 4...as a longtime Reeder user I dutifully upgraded to the new version. Then I spent a fruitless half-hour trying to figure out how to group articles by feed, only to finally find under 'support' in the settings that the option (a basic function I'd used through every iteration of the app) no longer existed.

It's 'in the works,' apparently, but who knows when that will be? Why did I support the developer by upgrading when I'm going to have to use Reeder 3 for the foreseeable future?

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
What are some good iPhone XS Max cases? I have a clear OtterBox case that (I'm assuming) protects the phone well but its quite bulky on an already heavy phone and all the scratches are visible which annoys me

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not happy with Reeder 4...as a longtime Reeder user I dutifully upgraded to the new version. Then I spent a fruitless half-hour trying to figure out how to group articles by feed, only to finally find under 'support' in the settings that the option (a basic function I'd used through every iteration of the app) no longer existed.

It's 'in the works,' apparently, but who knows when that will be? Why did I support the developer by upgrading when I'm going to have to use Reeder 3 for the foreseeable future?

Yeah, I just switched back to V3 as well.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I really wish Apple would put an option on iOS for people with iTunes Match subscriptions that allows us to choose whether we want to instead download 128Kbps versions of the songs instead of the 256Kbps versions it downloads now ever since they upgraded their whole store. See the problem is on my MacBook in iTunes for the longest time I just had all my music as the older 128Kbps AAC files they used to offer. So when I signed up for Match and my playlist that I was syncing went from a minimal 4-5GB on my MBP to 8-10+GB on my iPhone. I wasn't prepared for this. For a long time I didn't understand why my one main playlist took up a lot more space on my phone than my MBP ever since signing up. (See before I was just manually syncing my music from iTunes, which actually has a "convert to 128Kbps" option, so I was actually saving space in most situations. So why not have that option for Match?) I only have a 32GB phone. I am completely out of space because my music takes up half of it. I don't care about losing quality. It sucks that they offered these small storage capacities and assume everyone is just gonna stream their music. Well I'm not everyone. I will always opt for owning my music. If I like a song I hear somewhere, I'll purchase it to own it. I don't use Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, whatever. It's not my thing. Just give me an option to have the smaller versions of the songs. Even if they can't store both a 128 and 256 version on their servers and just have to convert the songs on the fly before downloading them. (Or download them then convert them on the device if you have to.)

It'll all be moot in the fall when I upgrade my phone. But for now I'm tired of my phone unloading my Music app all the time and thus clearing the memory and forgetting the song it was playing or the location in the song it was playing. A stupid oversight that could be fixed easily if Music simply saved a few bits of data to the settings plist when it's unloaded via memory reclamation.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like the DVD player on our 2012 MDX is failing.. and the entertainment system has a rear set of RCA inputs unfortunately.

Anyone else been down this road? I see aftermarket kits to add Carplay to the vehicle but not a lot of great info. I'm sure replacing the DVD player will be a massive headache, as is trying to go from lightning cable on an iPad to RCA.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
New rumors about the 16" MBP from Gui Rambo of 9to5 Mac (he leaked a bunch of rumors about WWDC that have been backed up by Marc Gurman). He's a reliable developer who recently leaked details about ios13, WatchOS 6 and new Mac OS

16" screen-reduced bezels
Touchbar returns
Physical Escape key
New keyboard similar to Magic Keyboard 2

Via Stack Trace podcast MBP talk begins at minute 32

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. I have a two unread badge on Messages on my iPad. I tried signing in and out of iCloud, deleting all of my messages, turning notifications and badges on and off, another restore from backup, and I just can't seem to get rid of it. There's literally nothing in the Messages app now and the badge still reads 2. Don't know what else I can try.

Also, I had to go redownload an old app on my Mac that I bought from the Mac App Store, and it turns out that since 2016, I have purchased exactly 2 apps from the Mac App Store: Tweetbot 2 and Tweetbot 3. What were the last apps you paid for in the MAS?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I had to go redownload an old app on my Mac that I bought from the Mac App Store, and it turns out that since 2016, I have purchased exactly 2 apps from the Mac App Store: Tweetbot 2 and Tweetbot 3. What were the last apps you paid for in the MAS?
Those are also the only two Mac Apps I've ever bought.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh. I have a two unread badge on Messages on my iPad. I tried signing in and out of iCloud, deleting all of my messages, turning notifications and badges on and off, another restore from backup, and I just can't seem to get rid of it. There's literally nothing in the Messages app now and the badge still reads 2. Don't know what else I can try.

Reset all settings

Oct 25, 2017
New rumors about the 16" MBP from Gui Rambo of 9to5 Mac (he leaked a bunch of rumors about WWDC that have been backed up by Marc Gurman). He's a reliable developer who recently leaked details about ios13, WatchOS 6 and new Mac OS

Touchbar returns
Physical Escape key

If this is true, I expect it'll appear at a premium above the current models and we'll be stuck with the dodgy keyboards for awhile longer.

Oct 25, 2017
Took the plunge and ordered a new iMac. 27" 5k, 580x, 3.6 i9, 512 ssd.

I was really hoping my Mid-2011 iMac would hold out just another year (since I'm pretty certain a redesign is coming in 2020), but I was starting to get beach balls almost every 2-3 minutes while trying to work for the last month and couldn't risk missing a deadline or losing data any longer.

That iMac has been through hell and back (and still technically works) just not so nicely with my more intensive work programs worth risking my livelihood over. Still, a solid 8 years and counting of outstanding service.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017

Touchbar returns
Physical Escape key

The keyboard will make or break this thing . Can't wait to see it

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
So I've been considering getting back into iOS, because my job is heavily focused on audio/music related things. Trouble is, I would really want an iPhone at 10.3.3 (or whatever the latest 32bit capable version is). I have questions:

1. What's the latest model that would come with 10.3.3?
2. How hard is it to upgrade/downgrade to 10.3.3, if the phone I buy doesn't have it?
3. How exactly would I be limited if I never upgraded beyond that point? Would I eventually be locked out of iTunes, or something? Is it common for apps to require 11.0+ ?
4. Is there a reliable source for NOS or refurbished iPhones?

Thanks.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But backtracking design seems like a very unApple thing to do.

As far as I'm aware they've only done it one time, going from the buton-less iPod Shuffle back to buttons

So I've been considering getting back into iOS, because my job is heavily focused on audio/music related things. Trouble is, I would really want an iPhone at 10.3.3 (or whatever the latest 32bit capable version is). I have questions:

1. What's the latest model that would come with 10.3.3?
2. How hard is it to upgrade/downgrade to 10.3.3, if the phone I buy doesn't have it?
3. How exactly would I be limited if I never upgraded beyond that point? Would I eventually be locked out of iTunes, or something? Is it common for apps to require 11.0+ ?
4. Is there a reliable source for NOS or refurbished iPhones?

Thanks.

1) None, unless you buy a used one specifically with 10.3.3. It would have to be an iPhone 7 or earlier
2) Impossible, Apple stopped signing 10.3.3
3) It's only going to get more and more common for apps to require 11+. 92% of iOS devices are on the latest version of the OS or the one before (11 or 12) so with iOS 13 coming this year expect those requirements to shift forward accordingly.
4) Yes, but not one that would come with a two year old OS.

You were bound to expect this question: what do you need that is 32-bit only?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Might wanna check out the jailbreak subreddit to a) figure out if you can in fact downgrade if somebody got the blobs for 10.x saved and b) find somebody who is willing to sell a device on 10.x / with blobs if that's an alternative.

Oct 25, 2017
Orange County

Can market it as some Magic Butterfly Switch design. This magical butterfly design is scissor-like, but revolutionary.

I have no idea how this could happen unless they make the case for the thing a little bit thicker.

I'm also happy about the physical escape key. This seems too good to be true. I've been contemplating just getting the latest 2015 MacBook Pro and holding on to that forever. This might get me to consider a new one. Otherwise just get a new Mac Mini.

Oct 25, 2017
Took the plunge and ordered a new iMac. 27" 5k, 580x, 3.6 i9, 512 ssd.

I was really hoping my Mid-2011 iMac would hold out just another year (since I'm pretty certain a redesign is coming in 2020), but I was starting to get beach balls almost every 2-3 minutes while trying to work for the last month and couldn't risk missing a deadline or losing data any longer.

That iMac has been through hell and back (and still technically works) just not so nicely with my more intensive work programs worth risking my livelihood over. Still, a solid 8 years and counting of outstanding service.
It may be too late, but did you consider just wiping your computer? I've found that starting fresh usually results in a nice performance boost. If you don't have an SSD in it that would also be a ~$200 upgrade to tide you over. It's not a terrible upgrade.

Can market it as some Magic Butterfly Switch design. This magical butterfly design is scissor-like, but revolutionary.

I have no idea how this could happen unless they make the case for the thing a little bit thicker.

I'm also happy about the physical escape key. This seems too good to be true. I've been contemplating just getting the latest 2015 MacBook Pro and holding on to that forever. This might get me to consider a new one. Otherwise just get a new Mac Mini.
Yeah the escape key is my only issue with the touchbar. If you combine the Touch Bar with BetterTouchTool it's way more useful than the old function keys.

If it's thicker they'll either not mention it or talk about how it's "only X thicker but packs XX more power" stuff like the Apple Watches, which got slightly but steadily thicker after the first gen.

Oct 27, 2017
What are some good iPhone XS Max cases? I have a clear OtterBox case that (I'm assuming) protects the phone well but its quite bulky on an already heavy phone and all the scratches are visible which annoys me
Check out cases made by Spigen on Amazon. They have a bunch of different ones based on how much protection you desire.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
They've done it before, and they've figured out how to do the storytelling around it.
As far as I'm aware they've only done it one time, going from the buton-less iPod Shuffle back to buttons
Nah, they backed away from the awful Bondi Blue iMac puck remote to a remote for human hands, they're about to do it with the Mac Pro (and they've already told some of the story around that), very arguably the new MacBook Air constitutes backing down from the MacBook in basically every way *but* the keyboard, rumor has it they're going to back down from 3D Touch, and it's certainly happened plenty of times on the software level (see for example the many times Expose has been rehashed in the history of Mac OS X after a new feature gummed it up, or the discoveryd fiasco).

I do think the challenge with the keyboard is that changing away from the butterfly switch design will likely require making the notebooks thicker again (the butterfly switch keyboards were always about the price of compromise so that the computers could be optimized for thinness+battery life at the expense of key travel - that's why Apple never even pretended they were going to adopt the design for their desktop keyboards). I don't think that's escapable, to be honest. It's increasingly clear that the keyboard reliability issues aren't just about crumbs and dust (certain heavily-used keys seem to be breaking much more often than others)

Maybe Apple's eventual plan is for the keyboards to just be full OLED displays with tactile bumps (maybe not even that? lol) and haptic feedback, and the butterfly switch keyboard is just a placeholder. I think that - until such futuristic things become possible - they're better off going back to a keyboard design (and a level of trackpad haptic feedback, tbh) that was basically universally loved when it was a thing, *even if* that requires compromises elsewhere. We'll see what they do.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I do think the challenge with the keyboard is that changing away from the butterfly switch design will likely require making the notebooks thicker again (the butterfly switch keyboards were always about the price of compromise so that the computers could be optimized for thinness+battery life at the expense of key travel
They'll just stop mentioning the thickness like they did when the phones had to get bigger, and nobody will even think to mention it.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017

Touchbar returns
Physical Escape key

I can't listen to the podcast this at the moment, but do we suspect this new mbp would be dropping this summer? Or is a fall release more likely?