• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to adjust the date/time of several pictures in Photos.app, but the resulting times are off by random amounts. This shit is broken.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Really stupid you can't put two small square complications on the Siri watch face on 44mm series 4. would fit perfectly. That way you have a huge gap.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Really stupid you can't put two small square complications on the Siri watch face on 44mm series 4. would fit perfectly. That way you have a huge gap.
I'm mad I can't use the Digital watch face because you can't put the Alarm complication in any of the circular positions (You can't do it on any face with circles. Just corner ones.) and they don't let you either put the battery complication in the top-left unused corner or replace the top-right complication (Which can only be either the date or nothing) with it. I'd use that face instead if I could because it would still have everything I currently have on the Analog face. Doesn't seem like these would be impossible things to do. The battery complication would just look like the battery icon on the iPhone and the alarm could just be the time inside an orange tinted circle. Seems like they're very arbitrary limitations here.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm mad I can't use the Digital watch face because you can't put the Alarm complication in any of the circular positions (You can't do it on any face with circles. Just corner ones.) and they don't let you either put the battery complication in the top-left unused corner or replace the top-right complication (Which can only be either the date or nothing) with it. I'd use that face instead if I could because it would still have everything I currently have on the Analog face. Doesn't seem like these would be impossible things to do. The battery complication would just look like the battery icon on the iPhone and the alarm could just be the time inside an orange tinted circle. Seems like they're very arbitrary limitations here.

Introducing the new series 5 exclusive watch face that just happens to be more flexible

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google Services: Rock solid, good simultaneous editing, iOS apps are trash

Office 365/SharePoint: mostly good, crap simultaneous editing, solid iOS apps

Why does it have to be either/or

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how I can force a sync between third party apps and the Watch? It's been 24 hours (with a few hours where iPhone and Watch were charging next to each other, fully connected) and both, HealthFace as well as Time Logger, still haven't synced and are telling me to setup the respective data points that should be shown in the Watch app in the iPhone app. For HealthFace, the complication icons that you set in the phone app also haven't synced over. Something is definitely not working. Rebooted both devices just now but perhaps it's a known issue? For reference, both apps worked and synced fine on my old Watch.

E: Okay, it randomly fixed it self hours after rebooting both devices 🤷‍♂️

Raise to speak hasn't worked once either but I guess I might be doing something wrong in that regard. The setting is turned on.

That being said, Series 4 is such a sexy looking beast. The bigger display and fast processor actually makes using the Watch enticing.

Last edited:

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to adjust the date/time of several pictures in Photos.app, but the resulting times are off by random amounts. This shit is broken.

I've figured it out.

bildschirmfoto2019-055ak8m.png

"The original picture will be adjusted by 7 days."
When I confirm this, it does not simply set the date to the 20th. Instead, it adds the difference between the entered date and the original date to the current date of the picture, which is already adjusted. Right now, the picture date is July 1st. If I try to set the date to April 20th like in the screenshot, the 7 day difference is added, and the resulting date is July 8th. If I try it again, the date is set to July 15th, and so on.

1) Why does it actually use the difference instead of just setting the date?
2) Only one picture is affected by this. How the fuck does this even happen?!

edit: Well, now is is happening with other pictures as well. Fuck this shit.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow. This feature does offset adjustments, not absolute adjustments which makes perfect sense because basically all of the time you want to adjust photo dates, it's because they can be fixed by offset adjustments (i.e. the cam internal date is absolutely wrong - we all know those photos with 01/01/2001 date marks - but the photos taken are dated relatively correct). This way you can fix a batch of photos that were taken with such a wrong date with a single click without completely flattening the meta data.

It works just as intended from what you're describing. Unless you're saying it applies the wrong offset. I agree they could probably have added a "Do absolute adjustment" checkbox or something in the menu for the odd occasion you'd need it. Anyway, you're right in saying that it sometimes takes Photos.app a bit to catch up if you mass adjust them, I had it spazz out a few times as well when I wanted to do further meta data editing shortly after date adjustment but the result was always correct in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I had a Twelve South dock that I used for my old iPad 9.7. It is an older version of this:
https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/hirise-2-for-iphone-ipad?variant=14566736101433

It only worked for Lightning. ( I think the new ones have adapters or something, but they aren't meant for the big iPads).

Someone asked me and I'm having trouble finding a solution for them, but they want something similar for a iPad Pro 12.9 inch. Basically, they want to be able to snap it into a dock, not having to have a stand where they fiddle with the USB C cable, and that is, of course, big enough for the giant iPad. Most of the stuff I'm seeing on Amazon have the cable being loose and the "dock" is really just a stand with the cord hanging out of it. The iPad should sit in portrait mode when docked. And, it would only be for charging, so nothing fancy/costly.

Any ideas/suggestions?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How'd I do? I found a 2018 Apple Refurb 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (gross but whatev), i5 quad core, 256 GB, 8GB men, for $1200. I figured that it was a great price for an Apple refurb and apparently they're really good quality. Was this a good deal?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I created a shortcut to create a new reminder and added it to the lockscreen widget. Initially, when tapping the widget, it would open the Shortcuts app (Why, actually?) and show the Create New Reminder dialogue, just as it's supposed to be. Since a few weeks, in about 90% of times it only opens the Shortcut app without showing the dialogue. I have to manually tap the shortcut again.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I've figured it out.

bildschirmfoto2019-055ak8m.png

"The original picture will be adjusted by 7 days."
When I confirm this, it does not simply set the date to the 20th. Instead, it adds the difference between the entered date and the original date to the current date of the picture, which is already adjusted. Right now, the picture date is July 1st. If I try to set the date to April 20th like in the screenshot, the 7 day difference is added, and the resulting date is July 8th. If I try it again, the date is set to July 15th, and so on.

1) Why does it actually use the difference instead of just setting the date?
2) Only one picture is affected by this. How the fuck does this even happen?!

edit: Well, now is is happening with other pictures as well. Fuck this shit.

That seems really stupid. Like unbelievably stupid.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
As I laid out above, it's absolutely not since you don't take multiple photos at the same second or change your cameras date info multiple times during a shoot. 🤷‍♂️

Then why not let users set an offset in stead of a specific date/time? I get it's correct, but it's not clear.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Then why not let users set an offset in stead of a specific date/time? I get it's correct, but it's not clear.
I think setting the desired date, then letting the program calculate and apply the offset to other photos is far more convenient than manually calculating it. As I mentioned, I agree they should also provide a checkbox like "Apply absolute change" or sth but I personally wasn't caught off guard when I used the feature for the first time since they explicitly show you the offset

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever have FaceID seemingly stop recognizing you, ever? I may need to just wipe it and retrain it, but I hope nothing's wrong with my iPhone X.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, is it possible that there's content in the iTunes store (movies, to be specific) that cannot be rented / bought on the 720p AppleTV (the 1st gen non-app-store hockeypuck)?

Because i can find "Isle of Dogs" on my iPhone, both, to purchase and rent; but it doesn't show on my mom's (rather old) AppleTV

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, is it possible that there's content in the iTunes store (movies, to be specific) that cannot be rented / bought on the 720p AppleTV (the 1st gen non-app-store hockeypuck)?

Because i can find "Isle of Dogs" on my iPhone, both, to purchase and rent; but it doesn't show on my mom's (rather old) AppleTV
Might be due to DRM? I don't know which HDCP spec the old TV supports but it might make sense?

Also super happy to finally have the new tv app on my iOS devices with 12.3 🥰

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So guys, I have a question - is the iPhone 7 Plus still worth it in 2019? I'm asking because I'm looking to sell my iPhone 6 - I'm pretty sure it won't get iOS 13 and I need some dark mode in my life.

I can buy an iPhone 7 plus used (in really good condition and with one year of warranty) for 350-399 euros but I'm afraid of it not being good enough for 2019 (and I want it to last two years, more or less, or until support gets dropped ). I would sell my iPhone 6 for 120€ so I would "only" pay 230-279€. It's either a plus or the regular model (which goes way cheaper), but I think the plus would last me longer because of the extra GB of Ram.

Oct 25, 2017
So guys, I have a question - is the iPhone 7 Plus still worth it in 2019? I'm asking because I'm looking to sell my iPhone 6 - I'm pretty sure it won't get iOS 13 and I need some dark mode in my life.

I can buy an iPhone 7 plus used (in really good condition and with one year of warranty) for 350-399 euros but I'm afraid of it not being good enough for 2019 (and I want it to last two years, more or less, or until support gets dropped ). I would sell my iPhone 6 for 120€ so I would "only" pay 230-279€. It's either a plus or the regular model (which goes way cheaper), but I think the plus would last me longer because of the extra GB of Ram.

I was contemplating keeping my 6 for another year because with a new battery it was still performing fine. I mostly got the XS because of the benefits to video and photo shooting. The 7 should easily last those next two years fine assuming its battery isn't shot.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.

The new TV app in iOS 12.3/tvOS 12.3 can't handle the fact that HBO shows belong to HBO Go *and* HBO Now, and basically doesn't integrate whatsoever with HBO Now.

Not particularly auspicious (though, really, it's dumb for HBO to bifurcate its offering like that).

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm curious how much I will like the new Apple Music for you in the update I like that they are trying to improve music,

Super curious what the new tv app is like, downloading now

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was contemplating keeping my 6 for another year because with a new battery it was still performing fine. I mostly got the XS because of the benefits to video and photo shooting. The 7 should easily last those next two years fine assuming its battery isn't shot.
So you meant the 7 or 7 Plus? Because of how much cheaper the 7 is, I might take it. (I'm actually torned between buying this used iPhone 7 or a brand new Xiaomi Mi9 SE)

I just hope the camera quality is good. I was already happy with my iPhone 6 camera for the occasional gf/view picture tbh

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Uh. 3D Touch on a feed item shows you a preview of its content in Reeder 3, just how you would expect. In Reeder 4, it displays a small floating panel with buttons to mark the item as starred/read or share it.. 🤦‍♀️

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So, in regions where the Apple TV "service" isn't really avaible, the "Apple TV" app mainly replaced the 'Videos' app while also adding some iTunes movie store functionality?

Oct 25, 2017
So you meant the 7 or 7 Plus? Because of how much cheaper the 7 is, I might take it. (I'm actually torned between buying this used iPhone 7 or a brand new Xiaomi Mi9 SE)

I just hope the camera quality is good. I was already happy with my iPhone 6 camera for the occasional gf/view picture tbh
It's a better camera, faster machine and has twice the RAM. You should be totally happy. I've no experience with Xiaomi so can't really compare m.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah I don't get the new tv app, I don't even see a way to see Netflix stuff in it aside from in the kids section. Must not be ready for me in canada.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, in regions where the Apple TV "service" isn't really avaible, the "Apple TV" app mainly replaced the 'Videos' app while also adding some iTunes movie store functionality?

Yes

Yeah I don't get the new tv app, I don't even see a way to see Netflix stuff in it aside from in the kids section. Must not be ready for me in canada.

Netflix isn't a part of the TV app. If you search a movie that's on Netflix it'll say so because Netflix is hooked in to universal search, but there's not going to be a way to hook your account up to get your play history or anything

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to drive Moonlight on iPad in fullscreen? It blows my mind there seems to be barely any info on this online. There is like one YouTube guy who did a showcase video a while ago that went unnoticed and there are three "closed due to inactivity" issues on the GitHub repo with one workaround that doesn't seem to work for me. I dusted off Xcode and added a new resolution presets (one that matches the iPad and one classic 1280x1024) but apparently either GameStream or Moonlight doesn't like the resolutions and falls back to 1280x720. Apparently this is expected behavior but I really wonder how the few people who did it managed to pull it off.

Last edited:

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

7 has just the right amount of processing power to carry you for at least 2-3 years. I think you should buy it.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

I have a 7 Plus and it's still a wonderful phone. Its only problem and the only reason I'm upgrading in the fall is that I have the 32GB model which is too small for me. I'm out of space because I like to keep my music library with me instead of streaming so it takes up half the storage space with my music which causes apps to unload a lot because there's only less than 2GB free right now. Camera is really good though I don't take many photos.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of options, what's with the settings icon? Every single application in the entire App Store uses a cog wheel icon (including Reeder 3), but Reeder 4 uses a switch? Why?

Also: The back button in the article view was changed from the default left-pointing arrow to an X button.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It just got an update by the way. Grouping articles by feed and clearing unread items when moving back is back.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a better camera, faster machine and has twice the RAM. You should be totally happy. I've no experience with Xiaomi so can't really compare m.
7 has just the right amount of processing power to carry you for at least 2-3 years. I think you should buy it.
I have a 7 Plus and it's still a wonderful phone. Its only problem and the only reason I'm upgrading in the fall is that I have the 32GB model which is too small for me. I'm out of space because I like to keep my music library with me instead of streaming so it takes up half the storage space with my music which causes apps to unload a lot because there's only less than 2GB free right now. Camera is really good though I don't take many photos.
Thank you very much guys!

I might go for it, now I'm just need to decide if I should go for the 7 or 7 Plus.

KodiakOak

Oct 27, 2017
Wife very generously bought me a Gen 1 12.9 iPad Pro for my birthday but it turned out to have some weird screen issue with yellow lines/light-bleed/burn in round the edges and it had to go back for a refund. I figured I could do without one anyway but now I'm seriously missing it! Have there been any reported issues with Gen 2 and screen issues? Also is there any huge benefit to the Gen 3 over the 2? I had a play with both of them in store and weirdly actually preferred the feel of the Gen 2 in my hand as the Gen 3 almost felt a little cheap.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Wife very generously bought me a Gen 1 12.9 iPad Pro for my birthday but it turned out to have some weird screen issue with yellow lines/light-bleed/burn in round the edges and it had to go back for a refund. I figured I could do without one anyway but now I'm seriously missing it! Have there been any reported issues with Gen 2 and screen issues? Also is there any huge benefit to the Gen 3 over the 2? I had a play with both of them in store and weirdly actually preferred the feel of the Gen 2 in my hand as the Gen 3 almost felt a little cheap.
There have been reported issues with all iPad Pro models, I think a few Gen 2 devices started to develop a small yellow-ish dot under the screen or something.
I personally much prefer the Gen 3 Pros because of a) the smaller footprint for the same screen size in case of the 12,9" model, b) Face ID >>>>> Touch ID imo and c) the equally slim bezel makes it just fantastic for browsing, reading and gaming (watching content is whatever since you'll have black borders due to the AR on any modern show/movie).