• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to do a trade-in on my old iPad with Apple through Brightstar. There's no denting and the screen is in pretty good shape. I had forgotten though that it bent that one time in my bag (don't know if you all remembered this, but I tried to correct it, and succeeded to some degree by putting it under my mattress for a few days). They revised my quote from 200 bucks down to zero. So, they're returning it.

Guess I'll try eBay.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
There have been reported issues with all iPad Pro models, I think a few Gen 2 devices started to develop a small yellow-ish dot under the screen or something.
I personally much prefer the Gen 3 Pros because of a) the smaller footprint for the same screen size in case of the 12,9" model, b) Face ID >>>>> Touch ID imo and c) the equally slim bezel makes it just fantastic for browsing, reading and gaming (watching content is whatever since you'll have black borders due to the AR on any modern show/movie).

The current Pro feels sharp to me. I don't like to hold it

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. I have a two unread badge on Messages on my iPad. I tried signing in and out of iCloud, deleting all of my messages, turning notifications and badges on and off, another restore from backup, and I just can't seem to get rid of it. There's literally nothing in the Messages app now and the badge still reads 2. Don't know what else I can try.
?

So I know this is old, but did you ever figure this out?

Oct 25, 2017
So I know this is old, but did you ever figure this out?

I tried Zeyphersan's suggestion of resetting all settings, but that didn't work. So, I just erased everything because I decided to try and sell my iPad. I guess that probably doesn't really help, but trying doing what Zeyph said and reset all settings. That might work for you!

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I tried Zeyphersan's suggestion of resetting all settings, but that didn't work. So, I just erased everything because I decided to try and sell my iPad. I guess that probably doesn't really help, but trying doing what Zeyph said and reset all settings. That might work for you!

It's happened to me before but I was actually just going to offer a suggestion. One time I realized I had 'filter unknown senders' on in iMessage settings lol. It's real easy to not notice at the top as it puts the unknowns under the separate tabs but still shows the icon badge.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else noticed that siri lockscreen suggestions finally seem to be working in 12.3? Siri now suggests my bedtime shortcut at the right time. Never done that before.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My cousin's needs help.

She's restoring a backup of her old iPhone 6 on a "newish" hand-me-down (an iPhone 6 as well)

Now the phone's constantly asking her to input the password of other people's AppleIDs - she claims they might have shared music(?) with her before.

How does one stop that? :P

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to swap my watch charging cable to the new one from my Series 4 since I'm selling off my old watch and realized the cables are now only half as long as they used to be lmfao... that's just pitiful. It turned out Tim Crook already did this with the 2016 watches but goddamn. I swear if they somehow could get away with shipping no cable at all and force you to buy a 40$ poor quality one from their store, they would.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to swap my watch charging cable to the new one from my Series 4 since I'm selling off my old watch and realized the cables are now only half as long as they used to be lmfao... that's just pitiful. It turned out Tim Crook already did this with the 2016 watches but goddamn. I swear if they somehow could get away with shipping no cable at all and force you to buy a 40$ poor quality one from their store, they would.

Hey, Nintendo did it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, i think this was less a cost saving measure as it was the fact that people tend to charge their watches on their nightstands and i'd guess the vast majority of people had some ugly extra loose cable dangling around their bedrooms ...

I have no idea why they originally shipped the Watch with a 2m charger.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Original charger was comically long. Nobody needs their watch nearby or anything when it's charging. The cable now is regular length.

But hey, must make "Tim Crook" cracks, I guess.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I sold my original Apple Watch I kept its cable and offloaded my new one.

Extra cable length is no issue because I bought a small hockey puck sized device in which I insert my Apple Watch cable to make a nightstand and I can reel as much of the cable inside of it as I wish to. Highly recommend it, only cost me like 10 euro be it's awesome. Great for the bedside table and for traveling as well.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Original charger was comically long. Nobody needs their watch nearby or anything when it's charging. The cable now is regular length.

But hey, must make "Tim Crook" cracks, I guess.
2m isn't comically long. Just about fits my multi charger nightstand setup right with some headroom. But keep on defending cost cutting measures that only negatively affect consumers I guess 🤷‍♂️

Mar 22, 2019
So whats the current go-to for an eGPU to MacBook Pro? I sold my gaming PC a while ago and have my PS4+XBOX+Switch combo going strong.

However for FPS i cant get used to the controller and miss my Keyboard + Mouse - so thinking of grabbing a Razer X Pro box, sticking on Bootcamp and installing Steam and Overwatch again....but dont want to break the bank to make the most...so whats the current popular opinion on this?

My monitor is a 4K/HDR 32'' Dell Ultra which I love to pieces too!

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the current go-to for an eGPU to MacBook Pro? I sold my gaming PC a while ago and have my PS4+XBOX+Switch combo going strong.

However for FPS i cant get used to the controller and miss my Keyboard + Mouse - so thinking of grabbing a Razer X Pro box, sticking on Bootcamp and installing Steam and Overwatch again....but dont want to break the bank to make the most...so whats the current popular opinion on this?

In terms of compatibility and price, Razer Core X. Beware though, getting eGPU to work under boot camp can be a fucking pain in the ass.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
My iPhone XS Max battery health is at 99% and I only got it in mid March.. that doesn't seem good? I usually charge my battery to full when its at around 20%

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Which iPad would you folks recommend? The Pro is surely nice but a bit too pricey for me right now.
The mini is really neat and sweet but I guess keyboards are a bit of a hassle on that size. I would use it for surfing, writing and some apps I guess. The Air looks the most convincing to me. Used/refurbed is also an option I don't need the latest and greatest but I don't know which iPads in the last few years were the most popular - also it should last me 2-3 years for sure.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

What MacBook Pro do you have? I've got a 15inch 2017 model with a Radeon Pro 555 and it runs Overwatch great in Bootcamp at 1440p, 60fps on a mix of medium and high settings.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't help with the size as that's a preference thing. But I'm pretty sure the Plus has a gig of RAM more. Also make sure you won't be too constrained with the storage if the ones you're looking at are 32GB models.
Yeah, storage is not that big of a deal to me - my 6 is 16gb and I still have some space left.

Maybe I'll go with the 7, I'm kinda afraid of the Plus being too big hahaha

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, storage is not that big of a deal to me - my 6 is 16gb and I still have some space left.

Maybe I'll go with the 7, I'm kinda afraid of the Plus being too big hahaha
Well if you're used to a normal 6 then stick with the same size. I love the large screen myself so I went with the plus because I figured why not just go all out. I wouldn't go bigger though if it was an option.

I am just biding my time until September so I can get a XI Max. The storage limit is really getting to me. There's absolutely no way I can free up space to make it not run out. My music isn't that much relatively but since the song files are so big now it uses twice as much space than before I signed up for Match. I'm already down to a few apps, just the essentials. Most of my apps are offloaded. My photos already offload to iCloud. And who knows what's in the Other space. So I need more breathing room.

Mar 22, 2019
What MacBook Pro do you have? I've got a 15inch 2017 model with a Radeon Pro 555 and it runs Overwatch great in Bootcamp at 1440p, 60fps on a mix of medium and high settings.

MacBook Pro 2018 13'' 16Gb RAM and i7 8559U 2.7Ghz CPU

Screen is Dell 4K/HDR U3219Q

I'm looking at NVIDIA obviously but kinda want best of both worlds to use the egpu in mac OS aswell even though I'll game in Windows bootcamp.

So maybe just an AMD 590? The RTX2080 seems a bit overkill for what I want.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
20 months of pretty heavy use (routinely down to 20-30% by evening, always charge overnight) of my iPhone 8 here and it's at 90%. Seems a bit better than I had hoped, actually.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I ended up purchasing an open box 2018 Mac Mini from Best Buy this weekend. I just went with the entry level model, and this is my first Mac computer. I have a gaming PC that I was using before, but with my current apartment situation - I really needed a small form factor. I ended up mounting it behind my monitor, and with the addition of a monitor arm - I now have desk space that I can realistically use and foot space (my computer had to be placed under the already small computer table). I'm liking it quite a bit!

Since I only play single player games, I just hid my gaming PC behind a bookshelf in the front room. This is actually ideal since my router is in the living room, so I was able to feed an Ethernet cable to it and I'll just stream my games to the Mac Mini in the bedroom is I need to play on a desktop, or to my Apple TVs in the living room and bedroom if I want to play on a TV.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up purchasing an open box 2018 Mac Mini from Best Buy this weekend. I just went with the entry level model, and this is my first Mac computer. I have a gaming PC that I was using before, but with my current apartment situation - I really needed a small form factor. I ended up mounting it behind my monitor, and with the addition of a monitor arm - I now have desk space that I can realistically use and foot space (my computer had to be placed under the already small computer table). I'm liking it quite a bit!

Since I only play single player games, I just hid my gaming PC behind a bookshelf in the front room. This is actually ideal since my router is in the living room, so I was able to feed an Ethernet cable to it and I'll just stream my games to the Mac Mini in the bedroom is I need to play on a desktop, or to my Apple TVs in the living room and bedroom if I want to play on a TV.
Funny, that's pretty much what I'm doing (with the addition of streaming to iPad quite a bit). My gaming PC is basically just the workhorse at this point. I love the flexibility.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I have an old case for my air 2. The apple one. Works great, love it.

But it is getting worn out. Is there a case i can buy today for ipad as old as the Air 2? Or is that a lost cause

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Plenty of unbranded cases available on ebay.
eBay is the one thing i dont use but i need to change that,

I end up using amazon.ca a lot. Now that i know they exist i can look what's available and start checking into reviews. I'm no even sure if I'd care if it had a KB or just use it with my logi k380 as well

Or i just use this case cuz it works if there isn't a good kb one at a reasonable price.

I guess this venture will my first test as an apple user to see how back the support really goes, iPad Air 2 is still an amazing ipad

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here use the Spark e-mail client? I'm trying to find a good client, and I really like the user interface with Spark, but I keep reading people saying their privacy policy is not good because of things like storing your login and what not. Isn't any email client going to have to do that though?

I use gmail, iCloud, and outlook. The built in mail isn't is good, but not having push notifications for gmail is a killer. The gmail app is fine, but I hate the ads that are in the inbox. I'd prefer to not have to have multiple e-mail clients. The outlook app is ok, but I dislike the forced calendar integration stuff into the app. It also seems like the outlook app takes quite a bit longer to load.

Any thoughts? Is there a better option? Is the spark concern overblown?

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone here use the Spark e-mail client? I'm trying to find a good client, and I really like the user interface with Spark, but I keep reading people saying their privacy policy is not good because of things like storing your login and what not. Isn't any email client going to have to do that though?

I use gmail, iCloud, and outlook. The built in mail isn't is good, but not having push notifications for gmail is a killer. The gmail app is fine, but I hate the ads that are in the inbox. I'd prefer to not have to have multiple e-mail clients. The outlook app is ok, but I dislike the forced calendar integration stuff into the app. It also seems like the outlook app takes quite a bit longer to load.

Any thoughts? Is there a better option? Is the spark concern overblown?
I ditched Spark a while ago and went with Edison. Think all the third-party apps that do push notifications suffer from the same thing. Only app I could find that seemed "secure" was Canary Mail but it's $10 so wasn't gonna buy it without being able to try it.

Oct 25, 2017
New MacBook Pro's with a modified keyboard. 4th time's the charm?

https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/21/a...owerful-processors-and-yes-updated-keyboards/

1. The MacBook Pro keyboard mechanism has had a materials change in the mechanism. Apple says that this new keyboard mechanism composition will substantially reduce the double type/no type issue. Apple will not specify what it has done, but doubtless tear-downs of the keyboard will reveal what has been updated.
  2. Though Apple believes that this change will greatly reduce the issue, it is also including all butterfly keyboards across its notebook line into its Keyboard Service Program. This means that current MacBook Pros and even the models being released today will have keyboard repairs covered at no cost, in warranty and out of warranty.
  3. Apple tells me that repair times for keyboards have been longer than they would like. It is making substantial improvements to repair processes in Apple Stores to make repairs faster for customers with issues.
If you bring a MacBook in with an older 3rd-generation (the one with the membrane) malfunctioning keyboard, it will be replaced with this new 4th-gen MacBook keyboard. So if you have an Air or a Pro that has issues, it will get the new mechanism.

Glad I waited for my repair. I'll wait a few week and then get my keyboard repaired with this 4th gen model.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Funny, that's pretty much what I'm doing (with the addition of streaming to iPad quite a bit). My gaming PC is basically just the workhorse at this point. I love the flexibility.

It's working pretty well for me thus far! Since my apartment is small enough, and my computer is pretty much equal distance between the two Apple TVs I'm streaming too - I'm probably just going to use an XB1 controller connected to the PC I'm streaming from instead of a Steam Controller or iOS compatible controller.

Open Question: With this being my first time owning a MAC, does anyone have any recommendations for must have applications? Outside of Office and Photoshop / Illustrator, which are must haves given my profession - I have downloaded Alfred and Magnet which are both fucking amazing in terms of productivity. I would love any recommendation I can get.