• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
New MacBook Pro's with a modified keyboard. 4th time's the charm?

https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/21/a...owerful-processors-and-yes-updated-keyboards/

Glad I waited for my repair. I'll wait a few week and then get my keyboard repaired with this 4th gen model.
I mean, there's also that rumor of a scissor-switch 16" MBP being in the works. Might wanna wait for that (and hope that whatever changes it make to keyboard design/layout propagate across the rest of the notebooks during the following year).

I think it's honestly a huge shame that Apple is so damn slow to fix this issue. I get that it'd feel like egg on their face to just go back to the older clamshell design on these machines, but seriously, the attempts to tweak this obviously fucked keyboard design have created a much bigger and more lasting PR crisis for them.

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, there's also that rumor of a scissor-switch 16" MBP being in the works. Might wanna wait for that (and hope that whatever changes it make to keyboard design/layout propagate across the rest of the notebooks during the following year).

I think it's honestly a huge shame that Apple is so damn slow to fix this issue. I get that it'd feel like egg on their face to just go back to the older clamshell design on these machines, but seriously, the attempts to tweak this obviously fucked keyboard design have created a much bigger and more lasting PR crisis for them.

As they say in enterprise tech, "if aint broke, don't fix it!"

I guess that aptly applies to what Apple did to the Macbook Pros....a great design that worked well without any issues and Apple redesigned it for "design" reasons and screwed up with every aspect of the beloved design - thermally (Core i9 configurations thermal throttle), functionally (keyboard), and accessibly (no Magsafe, no Power LED).

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As they say in enterprise tech, "if aint broke, don't fix it!"

I guess that aptly applies to what Apple did to the Macbook Pros....a great design that worked well without any issues and Apple redesigned it for "design" reasons and screwed up with every aspect of the beloved design - thermally (Core i9 configurations thermal throttle), functionally (keyboard), and accessibly (no Magsafe, no Power LED).
I see the throttling issue coming up once in a while but wasn't the extreme throttle in those a software bug that got fixed?

Dec 4, 2018
MacBook Pro 2018 13'' 16Gb RAM and i7 8559U 2.7Ghz CPU

Screen is Dell 4K/HDR U3219Q

I'm looking at NVIDIA obviously but kinda want best of both worlds to use the egpu in mac OS aswell even though I'll game in Windows bootcamp.

So maybe just an AMD 590? The RTX2080 seems a bit overkill for what I want.

I'm coming in here a bit late but I think the AMD 590 is not worth the price when you can find better priced/performing Vega56 cards. Running the Razer Core X + Power Color Vega 56 mini.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if MBP '18 is going to get the new keyboard if I send it in via repair program, since '19 one is the same thing with just a new CPU and new KB.

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So looking into getting a 2017 10.5 Ipad Pro. Is the bright spot that big of an issue?. Would be getting it solely to read comics.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I gave my mom her AirPods on April 24th and she just texted me asking where the charging cable was. Incredible battery life

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
So still worth getting?. Or should I just get AppleCare to take care of it?. Thinking of grabbing a 256gb if I can find one for cheap.
Where is this spot? Is it on all of them? I just got a refurb 10.5 Pro from Apple and don't see any yellow spots on the LCD.

The bright spot is a spot slightly lighter in color. It's approximately the size of the home button, and it sits above about 5 centimeters over the home button. It is something that develops with time, not immediately visible.

I'm not sure if AppleCare covers it.

Edit: I don't know if it's a problem with every iPad Pro 10.5, I'm just sharing my and many others' experience.

Last edited:

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The bright spot is a spot slightly lighter in color. It's approximately the size of the home button, and it sits above about 5 centimeters over the home button. It is something that develops with time, not immediately visible.

I'm not sure if AppleCare covers it.

Edit: I don't know if it's a problem with every iPad Pro 10.5, I'm just sharing my and many others' experience.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/18634247/macbook-butterfly-keyboard-problems-apple-repair-new-materials
Looks like 2018 MBP will get the new keyboard if repaired.
On a call this morning, the company also declined to actually characterize what the new material is other than to say it "substantially reduces" the issue of double or missed key presses. The new design still counts as "third generation," aka the same keyboard that shipped on the new MacBook Air.

Some current MacBook Pro 13-inch with Touch Bar and 15-inch customers that bring in their keyboards for repair will actually have their keyboards replaced with ones that have these new materials, Apple says. That will only happen for MacBooks that have the third-generation butterfly keyboard today: the 2018 models of the MacBook Pro and the new MacBook Air.

boris_

Mar 19, 2018
My iPhone 6S Plus is acting up lately and often crashes when it's not charging.
It's usually stuck in a restart loop then and won't start up until I charge it.
Battery was replaced in February and had no issues since then.
Pls help.

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017
It's a band-aid fix. You still won't be getting the performance you paid for, but it will be getting close to 80% of the Core i9's potential with the software patch.
The mobile i9s in general need to be put into beefy laptops for adequate cooling. IIRC the direct competitors to the 15" MBP from Dell and Lenovo also throttled with last-gen i9s under sustained load.

Oct 25, 2017
New Modular Mac Pro at WWDC in two weeks?
Seems fairly likely, especially if they're pushing refreshes out ahead of it.

That said, the actual chips they'd likely use (unless this is going to be some super high-end -SP dual-socket workstation, which is unlikely) aren't actually out. So ship would still be likely nearer the end of the year.

So much for the hopes for a hardware escape key.
It's still a rumor for the 16" model (next chassis redesign.)

The mobile i9s in general need to be put into beefy laptops for adequate cooling. IIRC the direct competitors to the 15" MBP from Dell and Lenovo also throttled with last-gen i9s under sustained load.

Yep. It's totally reasonable for people to want Apple to make a machine that's more performant, but it's not out of line with its competition. The people who want inch-thick mobile workstations are going to forever be disappointed.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Was I dreaming when I read about desktop class Safari for iPad in iOS 13? All I can find is that it supposedly automatically requests the desktop version of a site. I don't think this will fix the issues I'm experiencing on some more advanced sites (ie CAT tools, where Mobile Safari for some dumb reason doesn't allow me to start in a cell with lowercase, text selection is buggy af, keyboard shortcuts don't work etc etc) 😭

Anyway, best way to backup before jumping on beta is an encrypted iTunes backup, right? Last year (or the year before, don't remember) I accidentally overwrote my iCloud backup so that was fun as I was stuck on the beta train

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
IMG_0501.JPG

My Brydge Keyboard finally came in. I love it. Typing experience is wonderful and it looks amazing. Now all I need is trackpad support in iOS 13.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How bad is the first gen Apple Pencil? Thinking of getting one for my daughter to just casually draw and do stuff with. She had the current base model iPad.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
How bad is the first gen Apple Pencil? Thinking of getting one for my daughter to just casually draw and do stuff with. She had the current base model iPad.
I think it was considered the best tablet stylus (or among the best) up until the Pencil 2 came. The way it charges is silly, the fact that it doesn't magnetically attach to the tablet is a bit dumb, and the lack of a secondary "click" is a bit limiting.
But the feel / latency is apparently still top tier.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is buying the 12 inch Macbook a bonehead aesthetic move compared to adding an extra port from the 13 inch Macbook Air?
Rocking a late 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro that I want to get rid of since I already have an iMac and have stopped using the MBP for work. So it's gonna be mostly a leisure internet/imessage/note taking computer.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Is buying the 12 inch Macbook a bonehead aesthetic move compared to adding an extra port from the 13 inch Macbook Air?
Rocking a late 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro that I want to get rid of since I already have an iMac and have stopped using the MBP for work. So it's gonna be mostly a leisure internet/imessage/note taking computer.

The 12 inch Macbook is more than capable for this. I bought one in 2017 and use it for everything.. I thought that the one port would be a hindrance but I don't really miss the other ports..

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I carry a dongle that adds the ability to attach a USB-A device, HDMI out while charging. I rarely use it, but it's been handy on occasion. The MacBook works great for me.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain to me how I can save a podcast Episode to listen to it later (as in at some point in time) in the stock App? There are like three different "Save/Queue" options but none seems to be doing what I want which is basically the equivalent of the top bar of the TV app (so a permanent queue of items from which one episode gets removed when I finished it or if I say so.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Any Canadians, Best Buy has Apple TV 4K on a discount down to 150 I think, open box

How would I save a setup on a phone? Kind of like having diff setups on a TV? It would be cool to switch between a setup for work and a setup for phone.

I want to help my mother in law get her phone setup properly but be able to revert it in case she doesn't like something she has that fall back mental safety net

Is that just download a restore point to a Mac? I don't have a Mack yet, but I'm thinking of looking into the cheapest possible option just to get me started into it, but I like my iPad Pro too much so I never bought one

Edit: oh and to comment on HomePod announcement, I think it Will be the unleaded suprise, unless you guys heard something

I think smart speakers are too 8mportant for apple to ignore

Last edited: