• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Expectations for iPad pro refresh this year? In japan at Christmas and they're US priced (way cheaper than UK). If not likely to update until 2020 I may stick with my 2nd gen (will probably be updating my iPhone X in 2020 too if they redo the design like the new ipads)

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, if you put a dot somewhere in your email address, it can act as an alternate address of sorts. So you can use it to tell if a site sold your email address to another place.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if they added Siri support for additional countries on tvOS 13? Doesn't seem to be covered in their press release so I'm guessing no.

I live in Belgium and have Flemish/Dutch Siri on all my Apple devices except for the Apple TV. Seems to be the case for a bunch of other multilanguage countries too, like Switzerland.

It does work in the Netherlands and France so I can't imagine it being much of a hassle to implement.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Can we expect a price drop of 2018 iPad Pro till the end of this year?

If they're updating in mid 2020 then maybe. As they're so stupidly powerful I'm tempted to get one around Christmas but that would be late in the cycle. And I really wish they'd ditch the rear magnet approach which requires wraparound covers. I just want a simple front cover to keep it lighter and thinner

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Late in the cycle, but still a beast for many years to come, right? I'm currently using iPad Air 2 and this one really shows its age. Nowwhere as snappy as it was in 2014 when I bought it. But still more than usable.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a silicon black case directly from the App Store.
I decided to not buy the leather one because I use a "metal ring" thing that lets me use the device with one hand and it doesn't stick well on leather.

lp-smrg04_07.jpg

Also bought the glass protector and have Apple applying it.
I was recently thinking of getting a popsocket ... because i'm such a 13 year old girl ... but then i remembered that this would make me unable to use Qi charging, which i use 90% of the time :(

IIRC, if you put a dot somewhere in your email address, it can act as an alternate address of sorts. So you can use it to tell if a site sold your email address to another place.

Yup, Google gives you nearly endless amounts of "punctuation" aliases. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] - they're all forwarded to [email protected].

That way, you can just use a certain alias for sites that you don't trust with your email all that much (for example [email protected]), and if you ever notice you're getting spammed a lot, you just have it filter out any emails that match "to:[email protected]")

You can also use "+" - so [email protected] or [email protected]

Though i wonder how smart those who buy and sell lists of email addresses are about these features, i.e. they know what your actual email is by filtering out periods and any "+" suffix

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a bezel-less, iPad mini sized tablet - priced somewhere between the 11" Pro and the new iPad Air.
Like, at $799 for the cellular model.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I was recently thinking of getting a popsocket ... because i'm such a 13 year old girl ... but then i remembered that this would make me unable to use Qi charging, which i use 90% of the time :(
If you've got a vertical wireless charger then it'll probably still work with a popsocket since those usually have two charging coils in them.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
If you've got a vertical wireless charger then it'll probably still work with a popsocket since those usually have two charging coils in them.
i use horizontal chargers - IKEA Rallen - flush within the living room sideboard
iu

an IKEA Hektar on my Nightstand
iu

and a Native Union "Drop" on my desk in the office
GKa7Ko9.jpg

Neither of those would work with a popsocket 😭

Hello, are you me from a couple of months ago, before I caved and bought the 11" Pro?
Add the fact that i had to find out my iPad Air (2013) wasn't getting iOS 13...
But, realistically, i'm using my iPad for Youtube, GiantBomb and Safari. I don't need any of those new fancy features. I'd love it to be somewhat more portable and ... well ... recent.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to get one of those Ikea ones when I got this Ikea desk but I couldn't be arsed drilling the hole for it. Prefer my horizontal stand since I can easily just look at the phone and have the notifications expand whenever I look at it. I just use my other flat wireless charger for my AirPods 2 now.

Oct 25, 2017
The iMac Pro (2017) has a T2 - in fact it was the first T2 Mac. The only reason I could see it being would be because of some native CPU encode / decode which I believe 2017 macs should still be able to do any way (and the the new Mac Pro wouldn't support anyway...), which leaves GPU decode and the only Mac with a beefier GPU than an iMP is the new MP.

I really want to hear their reasoning why the 2017 Macs don't get it as well. Hopefully the list gets updated but I'm not holding my breath in it and I'm pretty disappointed in them for excluding them.

Pretty sure the lockout is because only 2017 Macs and new do native HEVC hardware decoding.
I've been putting off replacing my MacBook Pro for an iPad Pro for a while, but this new update I think I'm finally going to take the plunge. Are we expecting new Ipad pros some time this year?
The Pros appear to be on a two-year cadence.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the lockout is because only 2017 Macs and new do native HEVC hardware decoding.

The 2017 macs aren't included though even though they should have hardware capable of it. Also shouldn't h265 decode also be possible on GPU? That leaves the iMac Pro (and presumably the new Mac Pro) they use Xeons and don't have hw decode on the CPU but have GPUs of more than adequate perf to handle it.

It's very disappointing that 2018 and newer Macs are the only ones to gain support. I hope that this is reconciled by the time Catalina is out.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be really annoying if Apple makes the iPad Pro lag half a year behind the iPhone in silicon again, especially as the Pro is more Pro than ever and iPad even got its own OS fork now. New Apple chips should really go first to iPad if anything (it was like that with iPad and iPad 2) but the latest release schedule also works fine.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated to what you're actually saying, but dang this looks cool. Is it fiddly, like does your iPhone have to be in some precise orientation for it to charge?
It looks super premium, has a certain heft to it - it doesn't slide around if you put your phone on top.
It's rubberized so your phone also tends to stay in place.

I just measured the distance it can be moved while still charing - slightly below 1 inch. Tends to be enough wiggle room - i never really have to readjust.

8oNFHYf.png

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It looks super premium, has a certain heft to it - it doesn't slide around if you put your phone on top.
It's rubberized so your phone also tends to stay in place.

I just measured the distance it can be moved while still charing - slightly below 1 inch. Tends to be enough wiggle room - i never really have to readjust.

8oNFHYf.png

Nice, that looks (and sounds) pretty great. Might get one or two when I can afford it!

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Anybody rocking an iPhone XR? I'm mainly interested how's the screen. From what I've read the low PPI count isn't an issue.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After no new hardware news (but good software news) I took the plunge on a HomePod, should be with me next week. I realized I don't even care if there's new hardware in September or later b/c unlike an iPhone, it's a system that can always be built up with multi-room, stereo pairing, etc.

Anyway, can't wait!

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, first full day with my new iPhone 7 and all I got to say is... pretty bad battery. Good performance but god damnit this battery. I've been all day with 4g, using WhatsApp, WeChat, Messenger and like 5 or 10 minutes of Discord and at 18:30 I had like 10% left. I basically used it for messaging...

I don't know if I'm being too picky but I was expecting more, even though I knew it only has a 1960 mAh battery. I'm going to use it for a few more days but if I annoys me too much I might return it and go for a Xiaomi.

Still super fast performance and pretty good phone besides the battery.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Just raise your budget a bit and get the Plus version. I'm currently on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 after owning iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 and MIUI is terrible. Can't wait to get a new iPhone and leave that misery.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After no new hardware news (but good software news) I took the plunge on a HomePod, should be with me next week. I realized I don't even care if there's new hardware in September or later b/c unlike an iPhone, it's a system that can always be built up with multi-room, stereo pairing, etc.

Anyway, can't wait!

I've had mine for a week now. I'm extremely happy with it. It does everything I need in a smart speaker( timers, alarms, locking my door, etc.) and damn it sounds amazing!

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've had mine for a week now. I'm extremely happy with it. It does everything I need in a smart speaker( timers, alarms, locking my door, etc.) and damn it sounds amazing!
Sweet. I won't be able to fully retire my Echo Dot just yet but it's a first step. Gonna start cooking some Siri shortcuts!

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just raise your budget a bit and get the Plus version. I'm currently on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 after owning iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 and MIUI is terrible. Can't wait to get a new iPhone and leave that misery.
The thing is that I can't afford to get a plus for 100€ more.

Last time I used MIUI wasn't that bad. It performs pretty great.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What's so bad about MI UI? I had a pocophone on MI UI 10 before and I had zero issues with it. It ran quickly, everything was in a logical place and it looks nice, not sure what could be "terrible" about it?

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
It's terrible in comparison to iOS, which is on another level when it comes to design and aesthetic. Using an iPhone is pure pleasure. Just note I never was an Android guy, rocking iPhones with the exception of Lumia 920 when it came out. That was an amazing phone back in 2012 with a slick UI. It's a shame Windows Phone/Mobile went down.

Last edited:

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously I need to try it myself, but I'm glad Apple didn't dramatically rework iOS on iPad. It looks like a collection of really good changes that fit inside the existing concept.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's terrible in comparison to iOS, which is on another level when it comes to design and aesthetic. Using an iPhone is pure pleasure. Just note I never was an Android guy, rocking iPhones with the exception of Lumia 920 when it came out. That was an amazing phone back in 2012 with a slick UI. It's a shame Windows Phone/Mobile went down.
Oh man, Windows Phone was so damn good. I miss my Lumia 640.

But yeah iOS is pretty snappy. Another solution is keeping my phone plugged in while I'm at work because I just sit there 8 hours a day. How healthy is that for the battery?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
That's why I use SquareHome with Android right now - pretty close to perfect Windows Phone experience (at least on home screen).
But still, Android is doing my head in with some stuff and not a Google fan. I will switch this year.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody rocking an iPhone XR? I'm mainly interested how's the screen. From what I've read the low PPI count isn't an issue.

I'm on an XR. The screen is great, the pixel density isn't an issue.

Kinda wish it was a bit smaller - coming of a 6s.

Battery life is incredible. Never need to worry about carrying around extra charger/energy bank anymore.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, 5+ hours SOT sounds great to me. I think I'm getting around 3,5-4 hours on my iPhone 8 I bought at release and I'm happy with that.

Is keeping the phone plugged in bad for the battery health? I ask because i spend 8 hours at my work and i always have a power plug available.

Nah, the cycles are what wear the battery down. As far as I know, the devices of today are smart enough that having it in a charger all day would likely be much better for the battery health in the long run than going from 100% to 10% every day.

I'm planning on getting the wireless charger fliesen talked about earlier and bringing it to work with me and keeping my phone on it whenever I'm at my desk.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
As ara wrote, your phone should be all good while plugged in. For the peace of mind just check your battery health once a month.

And watch out, after owning an iPhone you'll start to think about iPad/MacBook/iWatch etc. The ecosystem is magical :)

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As ara wrote, your phone should be all good while plugged in. For the peace of mind just check your battery health once a month.

And watch out, after owning an iPhone you'll start to think about iPad/MacBook/iWatch etc. The ecosystem is magical :)
Ahh I already own a Macbook Pro 13" Early 2015. The synchronization is pretty good.

The ecosystem is pretty good overall but I think it's quite an overkill for me nowadays. I barely use my MacBook and sometimes I wish I had a windows pc for some games.

And it's a pretty expensive ecosystem hahaha I've been thinking about the AirPods but they're super expensive.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Ahh I already own a Macbook Pro 13" Early 2015. The synchronization is pretty good.

The ecosystem is pretty good overall but I think it's quite an overkill for me nowadays. I barely use my MacBook and sometimes I wish I had a windows pc for some games.
FWIW the iPhone is generally better with Outlook and Microsoft accounts than Android phones. I had a better experience with iOS and sync to calendar, contacts etc. than with Android where I need a paid app to fill my needs (I have special needs to be fair)... If you are like me and use Onedrive for photo backup than this is well done on an iPhone too.

Buuut I don't know how Apple will continue with iTunes on PC now that it will be abandoned.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FWIW the iPhone is generally better with Outlook and Microsoft accounts than Android phones. I had a better experience with iOS and sync to calendar, contacts etc. than with Android where I need a paid app to fill my needs (I have special needs to be fair)... If you are like me and use Onedrive for photo backup than this is well done on an iPhone too.

Buuut I don't know how Apple will continue with iTunes on PC now that it will be abandoned.
I use iCloud for everything.

If I switched to windows+android I would switch, for sure, to the Ms suite of apps. I don't trust Google that much.

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone moved from Android and Gmail over to Apple's email?

I'm considering trying to drop Google as much as I can and Gmail is a pretty big fish to try to deal with.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a problem and it's hard to search for.

After a while, my Xr will make no sound. Nothing. Alarms,phone calls, YouTube videos, music, etc. It's gotten worse the last two days, where my alarm goes off but makes no sound! It's a real fucking problem.

When I search, most articles just help with notifications and do not disturb and such. I can't find anything referring to my issue.

Anyone else have this issue?