• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
When you get the Powerbeats Pro, open them, and then suddenly remember they charge through Lightning not USB-C...

giphy.gif

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a problem and it's hard to search for.

After a while, my Xr will make no sound. Nothing. Alarms,phone calls, YouTube videos, music, etc. It's gotten worse the last two days, where my alarm goes off but makes no sound! It's a real fucking problem.

When I search, most articles just help with notifications and do not disturb and such. I can't find anything referring to my issue.

Anyone else have this issue?

hmmmm, a few years ago, i would have suggested that your headphone jack might erroneously think a pair of headphones were plugged in, but....

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell do I stop mails on my iCloud account getting flagged as junk? I'm signed up to a system that sends me multiple important notifications per day that are always very similar, so I understand where the flagging is coming from but I just can't seem to disable it? I turned junk filtering off in settings. I set the contact as VIP. I added the mail to a contact. I have rules applied to these emails but it seems whatever filter is running comes first since the mails I find in the junk occasionally have not been processed – so that's not an option either to salvage them before getting trashed.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the reason why wireless CarPlay is so rare?

My car has CarPlay (wired) but also has Bluetooth and WiFi. What's the reason for no wireless CarPlay? Cos I assume it's not a technical reason.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man fuck Apple for moving the camera lens 2 millimetres on the XS and basically abandoning the iPhone X. Now every single god damn case you buy online is a game of roulette where you have no idea if the case fits an X or an XS because everyone seems to think the cases are interchangeable even though they're not. I've sent back like 3 cases to Amazon now because the camera is either misaligned or the case straight up didn't fit.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there an iOS13 beta thread? I wanna know/read up others reviews on it. Thinking of getting it on my iPad since I dont use it much

My car has CarPlay (wired) but also has Bluetooth and WiFi. What's the reason for no wireless CarPlay? Cos I assume it's not a technical reason.
No idea myself. I was trying to get it retrofitted at my dealer and they told me it couldn't be done on my car.

So I found this company called Unichip that has a kit for my car and it does it wirelessly while retaining the original platform.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Man fuck Apple for moving the camera lens 2 millimetres on the XS and basically abandoning the iPhone X. Now every single god damn case you buy online is a game of roulette where you have no idea if the case fits an X or an XS because everyone seems to think the cases are interchangeable even though they're not. I've sent back like 3 cases to Amazon now because the camera is either misaligned or the case straight up didn't fit.
Are totallee cases too thin for you? I have a clear one that fits perfect on the x.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Cars just have a long lag time on new technologies. Designs are made years in advance. Parts are contracted out early. There's a whole lot of testing, including for interference.

Wireless CarPlay will get to factory head units eventually.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
The iPadOS hype got to me and I upgraded to the latest iPad Pro 12.9 (I had the first gen). Really happy with it so far! The screen is beautiful.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a couple of problems with Safari primarily on macOS (but sometimes on iOS too):

• Even though I'm logged in, if I click watch later on an embedded YT video (on Era for example) rather than just adding it to my list it launches a new window to accounts.google.com that automatically closes and it then just shows an exclamation mark where the watch later button was. I have UO fully disabled when testing. If I clear cookies it fixes it... but not for long
  • I can't login to the PlayStation Store site at all. I load it, click the sign in button and it just takes me back to the same page without being signed in. I have to use Chrome if I want to buy stuff on my Mac
Anyone else have these problems and know how to resolve them in Safari long term? It's been like this for ages, I just keep forgetting to ask as I can get around the problems (by just clicking the video title to load the YT app for the first problem or using a different browser for the last).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a couple of problems with Safari primarily on macOS (but sometimes on iOS too):

• Even though I'm logged in, if I click watch later on an embedded YT video (on Era for example) rather than just adding it to my list it launches a new window to accounts.google.com that automatically closes and it then just shows an exclamation mark where the watch later button was. I have UO fully disabled when testing. If I clear cookies it fixes it... but not for long
  • I can't login to the PlayStation Store site at all. I load it, click the sign in button and it just takes me back to the same page without being signed in. I have to use Chrome if I want to buy stuff on my Mac
Anyone else have these problems and know how to resolve them in Safari long term? It's been like this for ages, I just keep forgetting to ask as I can get around the problems (by just clicking the video title to load the YT app for the first problem or using a different browser for the last).
I have no issues with the PS Store page, but yeah, adding to "watch later" from an embed doesn't work for me either.

I wonder if that has something to do with Safari's more aggressive stance on cross site tracking. I.e. maybe embeds on era have no access to the cookie that stores your Youtube account.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

I've had that PS Store issue for years, and recently had the same issue claiming a free game at Ubisoft, and logging in to ASOS and Gap. Had to use Chrome in all cases. I remember fixing the PS Store by reseting Safari, but that's too much of a faff to do regularly, and just clearing Sony cookies doesn't work.

Edit: possibly related: I get 'cookie privacy' notices whenever I return to most sites, even though I use them regularly. It's annoying and has been happening for months.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
At least I know it's not just me, and yeah it's been happening for a long ass time.

Maybe I'll clear out Safari and open up tracking settings as a test.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Apples next step will be remove the port on the iPhone. They would have done it sooner if AirPower wasn't such a huge bust.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That would be my personal definition of a phone from hell and move out no matter what. I hate wireless charging with a passion.

I imagine app developers wouldn't be happy either.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
That would be my personal definition of a phone from hell and move out no matter what. I hate wireless charging with a passion.

I imagine app developers wouldn't be happy either.
There's no way they're going to ship a phone without a way of charging it in the box, and I don't see a Qi charger being included any time soon.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded from my 2015 MBP to the latest MBP with the supposed fixed keyboard and this typing experience is such a downgrade. Fortunately, 90% of my usage is on an external monitor so I dont have to use this horrendous keyboard but even so, I dislike it way more than I thought I would.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda tempted by the iphone XR. I currently have a Pixel 3 and the battery life sucks (hard), I've had numerous hardware and software problems (multiple RMAs), and google's customer service is just terrible. Never had an iPhone but I've been very happy with my other Apple products.

I should just wait for the upgraded XR in September or whenever it is, right?

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
If you can live with your Pixel 3 for a couple of months more, I'd wait for September.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

Quoting myself here.

I've reset Safari and enabled cross-site tracking. Didn't make any difference with the YT watch later thing, for the PlayStation Store login it actually gives me the login box but once I've authenticated and added in my MFA code it just takes me back to the original screen without being logged in.

I guess I'll just keep my workarounds for now!

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda tempted by the iphone XR. I currently have a Pixel 3 and the battery life sucks (hard), I've had numerous hardware and software problems (multiple RMAs), and google's customer service is just terrible. Never had an iPhone but I've been very happy with my other Apple products.

I should just wait for the upgraded XR in September or whenever it is, right?
I got the XR yesterday because my iPhone 7 battery was going nuts. So far so good but weird having no home button.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Is it too late in the cycle to buy an iPad Pro? The iPadOS stuff has me so excited to upgrade from my old 9.7" pro.

I also can't decide which size to get. The eternal question.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Is it too late in the cycle to buy an iPad Pro? The iPadOS stuff has me so excited to upgrade from my old 9.7" pro.

I also can't decide which size to get. The eternal question.

Macrumors buyers guide puts it halfway through its current cycle, so it's not a terrible idea. But since iPadOS is super-early beta right now, you'd be better off waiting until September as that's much closer to the iPadOS public release version + the next Apple hardware conference, where they would announce a new one if it's coming. It's hard to say, really - iPad Pro is setup as the bleeding edge model, but they could also just skip another 8+ months and allocate all of the A13 CPUs towards the next iPhone instead - I mean, the Pro is a beast in hardware already - it wouldn't be at an appreciable disadvantage.

If you're like me you'll be split on the size to get even after you buy it. 11" is clearly more portable, 12.9" is clearly more awesome for some games/any drawing work. I think if I was using it a lot as a workplace thing for notes, I'd go small for sure.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
But given the power of last year's iPad Pro's, they should be more than top notch devices for consumption needs for years to come, right?

Last edited:

Jaws

Oct 29, 2017
With the pros if I remember correctly the 1tb has 6 gig ram and the rest have 4. Does this have any performance advantages? Don't really need 1tb of storage, especially with the new update coming. But I'd hate to have less ram if it makes a difference in performance

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
For guys and girls in the UK.

Amazon, John Lewis and Curry's all have the 2017 12" MacBook for £799.

I have ordered one from JL, got one of the last Space Grey models.
Changing from a 2013 MacBook Air 11". The 12" fits my needs perfectly and I couldn't justify spending more to get the new Air.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
But given the power of last year's iPad Pro's, they should be more than top notch devices for consumption needs for years to come, right?

That's exactly what I meant. It's already OP. Tons of RAM, tons of cores, basically more power than typically used day-to-day apps (web, reading, video, drawing) and the OS will need. Of course, if you're really running hardcore drawing or 3D apps, more performance is always better, but it's going to be blazing for games for awhile. (Apple is now killing support for iOS devices with 1GB RAM, fyi). If I didn't already own one, I'd be waiting for the September conference, but I won't be selling this one for a few years, at least.

With the pros if I remember correctly the 1tb has 6 gig ram and the rest have 4. Does this have any performance advantages? Don't really need 1tb of storage, especially with the new update coming. But I'd hate to have less ram if it makes a difference in performance

No difference. You'll only notice if you're running apps that need that much more legroom. Better off getting something reasonable now and then save that extra for the next one.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
There it is. My 2014 MBP decided all of sudden to stop working except in Safe mode. Screen is on but black, only works with an external monitor. Fuck.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the input, everyone. I pulled the trigger on an 11"!

It's updating now and I already know it was the right choice. It just feels right in my hand.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to be rid of this MacBook Air 11" tomorrow. It's been a good servant over the past 6 years but it's on it's last legs. Konks out at 30-50% battery.
Looking forward to everything looking sharper too.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really need to know which of the iPad OS fratures arent coming to the last generation of 9.7 iPads, I wanted to buy a 128gb iPad with all the new announcements

Oct 27, 2017
Question for you all regarding thunderbolt3 ports on 2019 imac:

I have an old cintiq and I need to plug that bitch to my hypothetical future imac. I know thunderbolt 3 ports are super duper high speed, but also that they're limited once you're start connecting more stuff.

SO. Imagine, in the future, I'd like to plug an egpu in one port plus an external ssd through tb3 in the other and also that cintiq I mentioned earlier which should be connected to the egpu I guess?. Would this be possible or I would lose a massive amount of performance? Not sure if it matters, but the cintiq is 1600x1200 resolution, so nowhere near 4k in terms of bandwidth eating.

How screwed would I be?

Reasoning behind this: I don't want to spend almost the cost of a imac pro on a regular imac just because I suspect I won't be able to upgrade that stuff later. I would be forced to upgrade to 1tb ssd from apple and the Vega 48 now if those ports are bottlenecked when used at the same time, and I would rather get just 512 from apple and external ssd through tb3 and possibly an egpu down the line if I feel like it. But since the external monitor alone eats up one of the ports, I don't really have a clue on how I would be affected.

Thank you for your help! 🙏🏻

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Low-key the best thing about iPadOS is the fact you can now use Whatsapp Web without jumping through hoops.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question for you all regarding thunderbolt3 ports on 2019 imac:

I have an old cintiq and I need to plug that bitch to my hypothetical future imac. I know thunderbolt 3 ports are super duper high speed, but also that they're limited once you're start connecting more stuff.

SO. Imagine, in the future, I'd like to plug an egpu in one port plus an external ssd through tb3 in the other and also that cintiq I mentioned earlier which should be connected to the egpu I guess?. Would this be possible or I would lose a massive amount of performance? Not sure if it matters, but the cintiq is 1600x1200 resolution, so nowhere near 4k in terms of bandwidth eating.

How screwed would I be?

Reasoning behind this: I don't want to spend almost the cost of a imac pro on a regular imac just because I suspect I won't be able to upgrade that stuff later. I would be forced to upgrade to 1tb ssd from apple and the Vega 48 now if those ports are bottlenecked when used at the same time, and I would rather get just 512 from apple and external ssd through tb3 and possibly an egpu down the line if I feel like it. But since the external monitor alone eats up one of the ports, I don't really have a clue on how I would be affected.

Thank you for your help! 🙏🏻

The two TB3 ports on the iMac are on the same bus, so hooking up both an eGPU and a TB3 SSD could cause some bandwidth constraints. Probably not massive, but not ideal. Would a SATA SSD over USB not be fast enough? As far as external displays go, that shouldn't be a problem. You'd plug your external displays like the Cintiq directly into the eGPU for maximum performance. That's not really affected by Thunderbolt bandwidth as it's a direct link between the GPU and the display, just like any other GPU <-> display connection.

If you're using an eGPU anyway, I might recommend considering a Mac mini instead, since it'd be cheaper and has more Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Oct 27, 2017
The two TB3 ports on the iMac are on the same bus, so hooking up both an eGPU and a TB3 SSD could cause some bandwidth constraints. Probably not massive, but not ideal. Would a SATA SSD over USB not be fast enough? As far as external displays go, that shouldn't be a problem. You'd plug your external displays like the Cintiq directly into the eGPU for maximum performance. That's not really affected by Thunderbolt bandwidth as it's a direct link between the GPU and the display, just like any other GPU <-> display connection.

If you're using an eGPU anyway, I might recommend considering a Mac mini instead, since it'd be cheaper and has more Thunderbolt 3 ports.
In a perfect world, the regular imac would have 4 tb ports and I'd just buy that, since I want that screen but not the specs or hyper expensive price of the imac pro. I feel like if I start adding up stuff to a Mac mini, I'd end up with an even more expensive machine. The reason for no USB3 ssd is that tb3 ssd seem to match the crazy internal ssd speeds these days; something like 2500MB/S iirc, whereas usb3 is limited to like 500 MB/s so I could save money on apple tax and still have a big ssd.

Thanks for your help, I'll think about it a little more. I'll either go basic or super expensive route, seems there's no other way. Been waiting a year and a half for that supposed imac redesign and I know it'll come out once I buy the dam thing, and it'll have 6 tb ports. But I can't wait for another 2+ years ;(

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a perfect world, the regular imac would have 4 tb ports and I'd just buy that, since I want that screen but not the specs or hyper expensive price of the imac pro. I feel like if I start adding up stuff to a Mac mini, I'd end up with an even more expensive machine. The reason for no USB3 ssd is that tb3 ssd seem to match the crazy internal ssd speeds these days; something like 2500MB/S iirc, whereas usb3 is limited to like 500 MB/s so I could save money on apple tax and still have a big ssd.

Thanks for your help, I'll think about it a little more. I'll either go basic or super expensive route, seems there's no other way. Been waiting a year and a half for that supposed imac redesign and I know it'll come out once I buy the dam thing, and it'll have 6 tb ports. But I can't wait for another 2+ years ;(

PCIe and TB3 SSDs are definitely faster, but unless you're a video editor working with massive raw video files or something, the real world difference isn't that noticeable. SATA SSDs are plenty fast for most things.

If you are going to buy an eGPU either way, the $1099 Mac mini and a $300-400 4K monitor would save you a few hundred bucks over getting a comparable 27" iMac.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a stretch, but has anyone tried the Astro C40 controller in iPadOS? It doesn't have Bluetooth but you could plug it in via USB A to C now I suppose. Curious if that would be supported.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
As ara wrote, your phone should be all good while plugged in. For the peace of mind just check your battery health once a month.

And watch out, after owning an iPhone you'll start to think about iPad/MacBook/iWatch etc. The ecosystem is magical :)
iPhones are great but I only recommend iPhones if you're getting into the ecosystem