• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I am absolutely loving this 11" IPad Pro. Don't understand the hate for the smart folio keyboard either. It's expensive, I get that, but it does exactly what I want it to do. It feels slightly bigger than my old 9.7" iPad Pro smart keyboard, not sure if it is.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
How are the current MacBook Air (with Retina).
My wife (a teacher) needs a new mobile computer all she will want to do with it is office type stuff.
The pro without touch bar seems like hardly an upgrade on the Air and the touchbar pro is just overpriced/overpowered for what she needs.
So I am thinking the retina air is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand how some of you guys can use an ipad as a laptop replacement. I've tried it several times with my 10.5 pro and the experience is just sub-par. Maybe its just the things I do, I dunno. Either that or I'm too used to laptops/desktops. When I'm at home I find myself more often pulling out my old laptop rather than using the ipad, even for just browsing the internet.

That said, I am looking forward to the new ipad os though.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I don't understand how some of you guys can use an ipad as a laptop replacement. I've tried it several times with my 10.5 pro and the experience is just sub-par. Maybe its just the things I do, I dunno. Either that or I'm too used to laptops/desktops. When I'm at home I find myself more often pulling out my old laptop rather than using the ipad, even for just browsing the internet.

That said, I am looking forward to the new ipad os though.

For me it was an organic transition. I found myself using my Mac less and less and the iPad more and more. Once i got a 9.7 Pro with a Smart Keyboard it was all over. I'm not even going to replace the Mac Mini. It's from 2011 and collecting dust. Can't justify buying a new Mac as I wouldn't use it for anything.

I totally get it's subjective and not for everyone, but its all i need.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thinking about it, I think browsing forums is what makes it so bad for me. If I want to type something I want to use the keyboard. But if I have the keyboard attached it needs to be on a flat surface and doesn't work well if its just in my lap, where my laptop excels. Either that or I keep putting on and taking off the keyboard.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Thinking about it, I think browsing forums is what makes it so bad for me. If I want to type something I want to use the keyboard. But if I have the keyboard attached it needs to be on a flat surface and doesn't work well if its just in my lap, where my laptop excels. Either that or I keep putting on and taking off the keyboard.

Smart folio keyboard works great in the lap. I typed this post(and the one before it) on my lap.

That said, i use the on screen keyboard in the lap with out issues as well. I can do either. The new keyboard options in iPadOS should be interesting to try.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So iOS 12.3.2 released, only for the iPhone 8 Plus. Does this mean that people temporarily won't be able to move a backup from an up-to-date 8 Plus to a newer phone because they'll only be on 12.3.1?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most likely, generally iOS can't load backups that are from a newer OS. But maybe it's waived on point releases?

I know it's not waived on point releases generally because I knew someone that was trying to move an iPad backup onto a new iPhone and it was during this weird two week period where the iPad was on like 12.1.3 and the phones were on 12.1.2

I just find it weird Apple would cut off an upgrade path like that. For a couple weeks anyone going from an 8 Plus to any other phone isn't going to be able to move their stuff

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
How are the current MacBook Air (with Retina).
My wife (a teacher) needs a new mobile computer all she will want to do with it is office type stuff.
The pro without touch bar seems like hardly an upgrade on the Air and the touchbar pro is just overpriced/overpowered for what she needs.
So I am thinking the retina air is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

I am a little bit surprised how often I see the beachball when I do stuff in excel, like changing tabs.
Screen needed to be replaced after 5 month.

All in all I like it a lot. It's my first Mac, thou.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Apple Pay finally came to The Netherlands. Boy that took forever, but I finally get to make purchases with my Watch like a real nerd.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What's the best website when it comes to Apple news? MacRumors?

9to5Mac has become my preferred source within the last couple years. My liking towards the site originally started with listening to their 9to5Mac Happy Hour podcast. Hosts Benjamin Mayo and Zac Hall equally provide informative commentary as they recap the week in news related to Apple. Since then, I have personally come to find that the team provides a bredth of content most other Apple-centric publications neglect to.

Specifically, Jeff Benjamin does an outstanding job creating quality videos that cater to a wide spectrum of Apple users. He covers the expected topics such as the top features of the iPhone XS, but will also provide a detailed look at niche products such as the Razer Core X Chroma eGPU, complete with benchmarks when paired to a new MacBook Air.

Guilherme Rambo was also hired as a writer by the site at the beginning of last year. With his background in coding for iOS and macOS, he has become notable for unearthing clues to upcoming Apple products within currently released software. On top of that, he has trusted sources that are able to further validate his claims. One of the most recent cases of this is the news that iTunes would no longer be a singular app on the Mac, which broke nearly two months before Apple confirmed it at WWDC. Since his time in being a writer for 9to5Mac, his stories have generally appeared there first.

These are just a few examples of the unique content that the staff collectively provide. There is definitely more to be said, but these were the few that I indulge myself in the most. My apologies if this reply was longer than you expected, haha. Nevertheless, I hope this helps you!

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
9to5Mac has become my preferred source within the last couple years. My liking towards the site originally started with listening to their 9to5Mac Happy Hour podcast. Hosts Benjamin Mayo and Zac Hall equally provide informative commentary as they recap the week in news related to Apple. Since then, I have personally come to find that the team provides a bredth of content most other Apple-centric publications neglect to.

Specifically, Jeff Benjamin does an outstanding job creating quality videos that cater to a wide spectrum of Apple users. He covers the expected topics such as the top features of the iPhone XS, but will also provide a detailed look at niche products such as the Razer Core X Chroma eGPU, complete with benchmarks when paired to a new MacBook Air.

Guilherme Rambo was also hired as a writer by the site at the beginning of last year. With his background in coding for iOS and macOS, he has become notable for unearthing clues to upcoming Apple products within currently released software. On top of that, he has trusted sources that are able to further validate his claims. One of the most recent cases of this is the news that iTunes would no longer be a singular app on the Mac, which broke nearly two months before Apple confirmed it at WWDC. Since his time in being a writer for 9to5Mac, his stories have generally appeared there first.

These are just a few examples of the unique content that the staff collectively provide. There is definitely more to be said, but these were the few that I indulge myself in the most. My apologies if this reply was longer than you expected, haha. Nevertheless, I hope this helps you!

Yeah, 9to5mac looks the best from the whole bunch of Apple-centric websites. Both aesthetically and in terms of content. Saw some people on Reddit labeling the site as clickbait garbage, but it's just Reddit. Nothing to be taken seriously.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh god my HomePod came and it sounds SO GOOD.

Now I feel an itch to dump my TV+soundbar and get one that supports homekit and AirPlay 2. Why are we here, just to suffer?

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Oh god my HomePod came and it sounds SO GOOD.

Now I feel an itch to dump my TV+soundbar and get one that supports homekit and AirPlay 2. Why are we here, just to suffer?

No need to dump the entire TV -- you should be able to route audio from the ATV4/ATV4k to the HomePod. It even supports stereo pairing.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No need to dump the entire TV -- you should be able to route audio from the ATV4/ATV4k to the HomePod. It even supports stereo pairing.
I know and it works great, but I can't get regular TV audio or console audio on HomePod that way. Right now it feels redundant falling back on HomePod or on soundbar depending on the source. I hadn't thought of that previously, but with TVs supporting AirPlay 2 natively it makes HomePod a more legitimate living room audio choice. Then you can basically use any source via your TV. Even Android phones playing to your TV via Chromecast (or connected to line-in).

Oct 27, 2017
Family member is in a band and was telling me all about how the music services fuck over artists, but apparently Apple does it less than the others. Convinced me to switch from Spotify to Apple. I think Spotify's free tier works on PS4, so I'll still have music in games but I wish Apple would cut deals with Sony/MS to allow for AM on console. Now to find 5 family members to share the cost of the family plan with.

From a UI perspective, yuck though. Why if I select New Playlist when I've chose a song does it create the playlist with the artists name and the name of the song but if I choose an album, it creates a playlist called Untitled? Who that that was smarter than Band Name + Album name?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
From a UI perspective, yuck though. Why if I select New Playlist when I've chose a song does it create the playlist with the artists name and the name of the song but if I choose an album, it creates a playlist called Untitled? Who that that was smarter than Band Name + Album name?
For me it doesn't set any title whatsoever/automatically create a playlist when I do either of this but it shows me a menu where I can set everything myself 🤔
Though I don't know why you would create a playlist from an album unless you plan to add other songs (in which case the title would be moot anyway).

Oct 27, 2017
For me it doesn't set any title whatsoever/automatically create a playlist when I do either of this but it shows me a menu where I can set everything myself 🤔
Though I don't know why you would create a playlist from an album unless you plan to add other songs (in which case the title would be moot anyway).
The way I play music is through playlists. Spotify handles it perfectly. AM doesn't.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know what happens to the iPadOS home page widgets when it is in portrait? Literally every video I can find of iPadOS is in landscape. I guess it just disappears?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what happens to the iPadOS home page widgets when it is in portrait? Literally every video I can find of iPadOS is in landscape. I guess it just disappears?
That is exactly what it does in Beta 1, yes. It will restore the layout once you switch back to landscape.

BTW, not sure if i asked here in the past, but anyone using a document scanner app that supports custom page sizes? Readdle still hasn't fixed the iCloud sync issues and I'm sick of my Scans disappearing on the scanning device and not showing up on the other device when I need it.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I know and it works great, but I can't get regular TV audio or console audio on HomePod that way. Right now it feels redundant falling back on HomePod or on soundbar depending on the source. I hadn't thought of that previously, but with TVs supporting AirPlay 2 natively it makes HomePod a more legitimate living room audio choice. Then you can basically use any source via your TV. Even Android phones playing to your TV via Chromecast (or connected to line-in).

You shouldn't do that -- AirPlay adds about 2s of audio latency (AP2 gets that down to about a second). iOS/tvOS will offset video feeds to align with that latency, but anything else will be out-of-sync.

This is probably the main reason I haven't yet bought a HomePod -- since it lacks any wired input, it won't work in a home theater setting where you want anything other than AirPlay input. I can use it with my ATV, but I'd need to jump through a bunch of hoops only to get a bunch of latency if I tried to put my PS4 or turntable through it. Even worse, I stream games to my ATV, and those would have that ~1s of audio latency on a HomePod output.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You shouldn't do that -- AirPlay adds about 2s of audio latency (AP2 gets that down to about a second). iOS/tvOS will offset video feeds to align with that latency, but anything else will be out-of-sync.

This is probably the main reason I haven't yet bought a HomePod -- since it lacks any wired input, it won't work in a home theater setting where you want anything other than AirPlay input. I can use it with my ATV, but I'd need to jump through a bunch of hoops only to get a bunch of latency if I tried to put my PS4 or turntable through it. Even worse, I stream games to my ATV, and those would have that ~1s of audio latency on a HomePod output.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, and pumps the brakes on my reckless plans. I'll power through this convergence phase. My TV isn't even 2 years old!

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, I figured that was the only thing that made sense but it was weird that no one mentions it anywhere.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, one week with my iPhone 7 and despite the battery issues which can be mitigated with a power bank (and using the freaking phone less during work, yeah I know, don't judge me 😡 ), the performance on this thing is fucking amazing. I actually used the Xiaomi Mi9 SE next to my iPhone and I was blown away on how this almost 3 year old phone still performs. The camera has amazing performance, OIS was such a surprised compared to the absence of it on the Mi 9 SE. But the biggest pro is iOS - it's so smooth, everything just works. Never had an app crashing, nothing. The animations, everything, Jesus... I've been thinking of returning it and switch to a Mi9 SE but now that I look at it, I'm having a blast using the phone. Not that the Mi9 SE is bad, but there's something missing, the fluidity, I don't know how to explain.

And my iPhone connects to my Mac, which is a really nice feature when I just get from work and don't have to worry about missing calls or texts. Now I really want to buy some AirPods but they're 180€ and my JBL pair is still working fine. I might go for a lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter and the standard Apple earbuds (it would be mostly used for Mac and some ocasional Beats1 Radio on the iPhone).

EDIT: Does the iPhone 7 have NFC for when eventually Apple Pay is released here?

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
Howdy Apple-era,

Just a quick question on the upcoming broken-out TV app - is much info out there yet as to whether:
- it might support file types outside of mp4s? (Getting headaches from some subtitled mkvs that I can't otherwise play without converting - and losing - subtitles)
- whether star ratings will be implemented on devices? (I am a bit of a stickler for this from the music side)

Really just trying to assess if the Apple TV app (now or later this year) will have any benefits over any other video app on the iPhone.

Thanks so much!

Edit: also relevant - not an Apple TV service subscriber, this is really about uploading video files from the hard drive

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
This is nice when I go back to an iPhone I guess.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...r-windows-app-is-live-on-the-microsoft-store/

• Access your iCloud Drive files directly from File Explorer without using up space on your PC
  • Choose the files and folders you want to keep on your PC
  • Safely store all your files in iCloud Drive and access them from your iOS device, Mac, and on iCloud.com
  • Share any file right from File Explorer and easily collaborate with others—edits will be synced across your devices

No mention of easy multiple edits of photos/folder and so on, still the worst thing about this on PC.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
At this stage one of the good things about living in the UK is that Apple Pay can be pretty much used anywhere these days.
Even started to see vending machines with contactless payments.

I pretty much exclusively use Apple Pay now, with the Watch its almost too convenient.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok I wish by now Apple would have made some audio APIs/SDK for Homepod so I could listen natively to podcasts, audiobooks, radio stations and such. And I mean, with WWDC just over I guess we're out of luck for at least another year. Airplay it is!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
At this stage one of the good things about living in the UK is that Apple Pay can be pretty much used anywhere these days.
Even started to see vending machines with contactless payments.

I pretty much exclusively use Apple Pay now, with the Watch its almost too convenient.
The bank must support it - as Apple Pay just works like your debit card NFC if I am right? Right now here in Austria only one bank supports Apple Pay (for about a month or so). Hope it picks up!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The bank must support it - as Apple Pay just works like your debit card NFC if I am right? Right now here in Austria only one bank supports Apple Pay (for about a month or so). Hope it picks up!
Are banks in Austria also trying to push their own solutions like Sparkasse (miserably so) tried to in Germany? Was the final straw for me to switch from Sparkasse for my giro account. I'm just glad the tech works irrespective of bank bullshittery. Paying with Apple Pay at the self checkout in Billa whenever I'm there is so convenient (even though I prefer using the phone over the watch since the reader is a bit awkwardly high placed and on the right side of the terminal. Not exactly ideal since I wear the watch on my left arm).

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Are banks in Austria also trying to push their own solutions like Sparkasse (miserably so) tried to in Germany? I'm just glad the tech works irrespective of bank bullshittery. Paying with Apple Pay at the self checkout in Billa whenever I'm there is so convenient (even though I prefer using the phone over the watch since the reader is a bit awkwardly high placed and on the right side of the terminal. Not exactly ideal since I wear the watch on my left arm).
I have no idea. I always thought it just works with Maestro and that's it. As that would be the best solution IMO.
But right now only Erste Bank is officially supporting it, and Bank Austria will soon too. I am not client of any of them.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
got an iPhone XR yesterday. Sadly a lightly yellow gradient from top to bottom and the bottom is slightly more yellow than the top.
My wife can't see it, but I can see stuff like this on most screens and I think I've never seen an iPhone Display without it in any form...

Otherwise perfect: no backlight bleeding, no other uniformity, no dead pixels.

and I got it 200€ off from amazon. so Instead of 1019€ I paid 820€.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Dunno, but I think they should. After all Apple is the one obliged by European law to repair all its stuff under warranty regulations.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just go to Apple Store and have it replaced if it's under warranty.
I'll not go down the smartphone display lottery again :) I did that in the past and it was always more stress than really worth it. As a replacement I might get a display with dead pixels, or backlight bleeding, or an even worse yellow gradient and then all that stuff begins anew.
Also from my experience with apple stores this is still in the margin for iPhone displays. I mean I can't even photograph it for you because it is so mild...and since I always get apple care+ I can annoy apple for two whole years hehehe.

I'm just a perfectionist and I find a flaw in everything.
One day microLED will finally be a thing and maybe then I can be satisfied :D

Are they doing this if you bought it off of Amazon?
yes :) same with t-mobile or something like this. as long as you are still up for apple care or have guarantee they'll do it.

Last edited: