• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this, but I feel it refers to Siri playback commands for apps, implying installed apps on the system, i.e. iPhone/iPad and not so much HomePod as a standalone device? Although I imagine the Siri request could be initiated from the HomePod, the audio would be piped from your iPhone via AirPlay rather than fetched directly from the internet.

That's how I interpret it, yes. So even if it's just initiating an airplay request to your phone it'll still work as you want (more or less)

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I have to say, I really love my 2018 12.9" iPad Pro.

I was lounging back the other day in bed, Air Pods in my ears, and I was multitasking with 75% of my screen with the SquareEnix Press Conference and 25% of my screen with Resetera to gauge reactions and give my own.

It just works so well for some stuff.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Me too, but the price of 256 GB version with a Smart Folio Keyboard is an overkill in my current financial situation ;(

Last edited:

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Apple became really expensive in the last couple of years. They make brilliant devices, but paying 1000+ dollars for a phone or tablet is, well, kinda crazy. Don't even start with the prices of MacBooks.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Apple became really expensive in the last couple of years. They make brilliant devices, but paying 1000+ dollars for a phone or tablet is, well, kinda crazy. Don't even start with the prices of MacBooks.

Hence why I bought the 2017 MacBook a few days ago at £799.
Couldn't justify any more money on what I use the thing for.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I lived in UK for some time and remember that in 2015 I've got an iPhone 6S Plus for 700£, iPad Air 2 for something like 450£ and a base model of 13 inch MacBook Pro Early 2015 for around 1000£. Pricey, but nowhere as expensive as today.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah agree. Same reason why I still have a 2011 macbook pro. I just can't justify the price of a new one. Especially since my current ones keyboard will probably outlast the keyboard on a new one.

I looked at getting an air, but its still going to cost me at least $1400 unless I find somewhere to get a discount.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
iCloud mail is being very annoying. New mail is being marked as read as soon as it arrives, which means I don't see a badge in iOS (I don't have intrusive notifications on mobile). If I'm using my Mac I'll see the new mail notification but when I check it's already marked as read.

I use Airmail but I've eliminated that as the culprit by turning off my phone and closing the app on the Mac, then using iCloud.com to send myself an email. It appears in the inbox and 1 second later the unread indicator vanishes.

No other browsers are logged in, and no other apps have access. This is the first thing I've been unable to fix myself since getting a Mac 20 years ago.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
iCloud mail is being very annoying. New mail is being marked as read as soon as it arrives, which means I don't see a badge in iOS (I don't have intrusive notifications on mobile). If I'm using my Mac I'll see the new mail notification but when I check it's already marked as read.

I use Airmail but I've eliminated that as the culprit by turning off my phone and closing the app on the Mac, then using iCloud.com to send myself an email. It appears in the inbox and 1 second later the unread indicator vanishes.

No other browsers are logged in, and no other apps have access. This is the first thing I've been unable to fix myself since getting a Mac 20 years ago.

Hmmm does iCloud.com have rules? Like could there somehow have been a rule created that marks messages instantly as read?

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Is this one email account or happening on all? Also try changing your email passwords. It will prevent any errant email client from connecting.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Hmmm does iCloud.com have rules? Like could there somehow have been a rule created that marks messages instantly as read?
It does have rules, and it would be possible to create that rule, but the rules pane is empty.

Is this one email account or happening on all? Also try changing your email passwords. It will prevent any errant email client from connecting.
It's just the one iCloud account, which is the only email I regularly use. Same result if I use .mac.com, .me.com, or .icloud.com as the address.
I have two-factor turned on, so I revoked every temporary app password I created over the years, and logged out of all browsers. Didn't make any difference.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok this is weird, basically a day after I wrote a nice post about the phone, I just noticed that in one week battery health went from 98% to 97%. This is garbage and I'm going to return it.

All I do is messaging, light browsing and instagram with 4g and it loses 1% every 2 minutes. Like this is the worse battery I have ever used on a smartphone.

How much better is the 7 Plus version? It only has 2900 mAh and I'm afraid to get another shitty battery.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Ok this is weird, basically a day after I wrote a nice post about the phone, I just noticed that in one week battery health went from 98% to 97%. This is garbage and I'm going to return it.

All I do is messaging, light browsing and instagram with 4g and it loses 1% every 2 minutes. Like this is the worse battery I have ever used on a smartphone.

How much better is the 7 Plus version? It only has 2900 mAh and I'm afraid to get another shitty battery.
Didn't you buy it from some used device seller? Perhaps just a shitty third party battery or a energy hungry third party replacement screen that they didn't tell you about. You simply can't trust these refurbished sellers in my experience. I went from 5S to 8+/X so I have no point of reference, all I can say is I never dropped below 40% on my 8+ on any given day with messaging, browsing, music, some YouTube and the same is true for my X 🤷‍♂️ But of course battery life comparison are always kind of moot. Your drain definitely doesn't sound normal, phone dead after approximately 3h? Can't be right.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Happened to me, too and its stuck on 97% since november, after two months of use.
Dont give it to much thought, watch rather out for big jumps on the battery consumption.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't you buy it from some used device seller? Perhaps just a shitty third party battery or a energy hungry third party replacement screen that they didn't tell you about. You simply can't trust these refurbished sellers in my experience. I went from 5S to 8+/X so I have no point of reference, all I can say is I never dropped below 40% on my 8+ on any given day with messaging, browsing, music, some YouTube and the same is true for my X 🤷‍♂️ But of course battery life comparison are always kind of moot. Your drain definitely doesn't sound normal, phone dead after approximately 3h? Can't be right.
Yeah, I got it from a refurbished reseller. I'm starting to think that yeah, the battery is not an Apple one.

I don't have 3 hours of battery but in those 3 hours with my use, which like I said is messaging and light browsing on wifi like right now, I get to 40% easily.

Just right now, I left home with 98%. In 10 minutes it's down to 94% with only 3 minutes of Bluetooth and 4g use.

Took 2 minutes to write this reply, 2% down.

Happened to me, too and its stuck on 97% since november, after two months of use.
Dont give it to much thought, watch rather out for big jumps on the battery consumption.
I use my phone a bit and I don't like having to charge everyday at 5 pm because it gets below 50% with such light use.

I love the performance but the damn battery.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Lol this is just hilarious. Returning the phone because it dropped 1% of battery health?
My Xs has been sitting on 97% since launch.

The battery health percentage was the worst feature Apple could have implemented.

Everyday I see posts like "my phone dropped to 99%. Is my battery doomed? Should I return it?

You wouldn't be able to tell a difference if it dropped from 100 to like 70/ 75% with normal use. Don't measure the phones battery on that silly indicator but on your daily use.

In regards to your 1% every 2 mins, first of all check your settings such background app refresh etc.

Even if it dropped at this rate, you would get 200 mins non stop usage. That's nearly 3 and a half hours of screen on time. However, I doubt your battery drops constantly at that rate and you are closer to squeezing 5-6 hours out of it than you think and that's pretty much normal.

If you don't get close to 4hrs, then I would worry and get that battery checked if it's genuine and in normal condition

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, thats really a bit much.
I make it through three to four days with a single charge, but I have a 8 Plus.
Damn I envy you. Im on wifi, and since my last reply i browsed a bit and lost 2% hahahaha

Lol this is just hilarious. Returning the phone because it dropped 1% of battery health?
My Xs has been sitting on 97% since launch.

The battery health percentage was the worst feature Apple could have implemented.

Everyday I see posts like "my phone dropped to 99%. Is my battery doomed? Should I return it?

You wouldn't be able to tell a difference if it dropped from 100 to like 70/ 75% with normal use. Don't measure the phones battery on that silly indicator but on your daily use.

In regards to your 1% every 2 mins, first of all check your settings such background app refresh etc.

Even if it dropped at this rate, you would get 200 mins non stop usage. That's nearly 3 and a half hours of screen on time. However, I doubt your battery drops constantly at that rate and you are closer to squeezing 5-6 hours out of it than you think and that's pretty much normal.
The thing is... i never cared about it. My 6 had quite the good performance considering its age. But I checked the 7's battery when I got it, and then checked today as well to see if all of this is having any impact on the battery. It did, and in 1 week it lost 1%.

But this one is simply too much of a drain. In 20 minutes I lost almost 10 % of battery with such normal use. I never had a phone that consumed this much battery before.

I checked all background apps and all that. Using 3g instead of 4g, still the same. Wifi consumes a lot as well.

Im pretty sure this is not normal.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If I'm going to be out all day I enable Low Power Mode immediately. It makes a huge difference. Add it to Control Center so you can do it without messing in settings.

And my battery health went UP 1% last month. Stop looking at it so often, it's just a rough estimate.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm going to be out all day I enable Low Power Mode immediately. It makes a huge difference. Add it to Control Center so you can do it without messing in settings.

And my battery health went UP 1% last month. Stop looking at it so often, it's just a rough estimate.
I know, but that's capping my phone capability because of such a shitty battery. It's a good work around but doesn't make feel any better about it.

And like I said, I don't constantly look at it. I've just been frustrated with the battery and decided to check if all this charging mid day thing has been impacting the battery. And looks like it is, badly.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I know, but that's capping my phone capability because of such a shitty battery. It's a good work around but doesn't make feel any better about it.
I bought a 6S from eBay last year. Came from China and was sold as a display model that had barely been used. The battery has never felt good, even though it was at 100% health. I have no idea how much better a brand new 6S would be so I've just learned to live with it. It doesn't feel like Power Save gimps the phone too much. The display sleeps way faster but otherwise it's fine.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a 6S from eBay last year. Came from China and was sold as a display model that had barely been used. The battery has never felt good, even though it was at 100% health. I have no idea how much better a brand new 6S would be so I've just learned to live with it. It doesn't feel like Power Save gimps the phone too much. The display sleeps way faster but otherwise it's fine.
I'm starting to think this either has a shitty third party battery or the iPhone 7 battery is simply bad. I mean, it has a 1960mAh battery.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The battery can be manipulated via Software reset. I bought a cheap replacement battery for my old iPhone 6 after I got my current phone and it has 100% health but barely lasts two hours of use.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that's working as intended. A brand new battery should have 100% health, even if it's a poor quality battery.
I think Strange Parts on YouTube recently did a video on this. There are capacity readers/writers that you can buy in China that can overwrite the reported capacity. I think it's even possible to fake the state of authenticity it reports to the software that's used by Apple.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Hmmm. So my Surface Pro 3 is on its last legs and I am considering upgrading to a Laptop.
Macbook's have always been tempting. I guess I will look at Pro's since this is what a Surface Pro tablet also is/was power wise.

Of course a little bit of gaming would be nice but from what I read it's not really feasable even with the most expensive models. Heat and noise seems to be big issues (I would want to play games on Steam).
So are the 2018 models worthwhile looking at or can I go a bit older?

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Hmmm. So my Surface Pro 3 is on its last legs and I am considering upgrading to a Laptop.
Macbook's have always been tempting. I guess I will look at Pro's since this is what a Surface Pro tablet also is/was power wise.

Of course a little bit of gaming would be nice but from what I read it's not really feasable even with the most expensive models. Heat and noise seems to be big issues (I would want to play games on Steam).
So are the 2018 models worthwhile looking at or can I go a bit older?

Get a 2015-era model with a dedicated GPU. They work reasonably well in Bootcamp, and will be able to handle many macOS games, and you won't be stuck with a keyboard that'll self-destruct in less than a year.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

And like I said, I don't constantly look at it. I've just been frustrated with the battery and decided to check if all this charging mid day thing has been impacting the battery. And looks like it is, badly.

If you got a really good deal on the phone, and it works fine other than the battery, it might be worth it to just pay apple for a proper replacement battery. That battery life you're describing sounds bad. I've never had an iphone so I couldn't tell you what's normal, but even my 5 year old galaxy s5 with original battery lasts longer than what you're describing.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you got a really good deal on the phone, and it works fine other than the battery, it might be worth it to just pay apple for a proper replacement battery. That battery life you're describing sounds bad. I've never had an iphone so I couldn't tell you what's normal, but even my 5 year old galaxy s5 with original battery lasts longer than what you're describing.
Yeah, it was an ok deal. 319€ for it.

17:49 here and with power saving mode on and some use with wifi it's already down to 53%.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone running the iOS 13 beta tell me if the new reminders app has a "repeat after completion" option for tasks?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone running the iOS 13 beta tell me if the new reminders app has a "repeat after completion" option for tasks?
Not as far as I can see, it doesn't seem the repeat settings have changed

E: oh wow, you can Open apps on your Apple TV via shortcuts in iOS 13. sweeet

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/13/upcoming-macbook-models/

New Mac notebooks registered with Eurasian Economic Commission. Possible 12" MB and Air refresh. Maybe the rumored 16". Likely to launch this fall or sooner.

For the love of god Apple, fix the damn keyboards. I'm not replacing my MBA until this happens.

Get a 2015-era model with a dedicated GPU. They work reasonably well in Bootcamp, and will be able to handle many macOS games, and you won't be stuck with a keyboard that'll self-destruct in less than a year.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend any of the current laptops. Even if the keyboard had perfect reliability, it feels awful to type on.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, I really love my 2018 12.9" iPad Pro.

I was lounging back the other day in bed, Air Pods in my ears, and I was multitasking with 75% of my screen with the SquareEnix Press Conference and 25% of my screen with Resetera to gauge reactions and give my own.

It just works so well for some stuff.

I'd still like a portrait split screen - so video in top half, app in bottom half. or Give me a larger option on PiP

Oct 25, 2017
https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/13/upcoming-macbook-models/

New Mac notebooks registered with Eurasian Economic Commission. Possible 12" MB and Air refresh. Maybe the rumored 16". Likely to launch this fall or sooner.

Really hope they dump the non-touchbar MBP this go-round. But I guess we'll see if they can cut the price of the MBA by $100 or so to try and inch back to its affordability.

I don't really see the point of the rMB when Apple's other laptops are so thin and light anyhow, but I guess some people really care about the extra ounces.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to use it all the time on my old iMac, pretty sure the keyboard had a dedicated key to open Dashboard.

I guess I'm going to have to set up a custom shortcut for the widget draw of Notification Center. I'll have my calculator there, at least. But no translation, unit conversion, or more useful weather display will stink.

I'm probably not updating my main rig since it's un supported anyhow and I still have 32bit apps, so I'll have another year or two to ignore the future. I guess I should consider myself fortunate it lasted so long.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Coming from a old iPad 3, using a new 9.7 iPad is absolutly insane and feels like a realy new way to use a tablet. So many interesting new features.
And opting for a iPad with 128GB was absolutly the right idea. Carrying so much data around is great. And I cant stop to use Splitview, such a great feature.
Really excited for iPad OS now. I am already looking for Bluetooth mouses and thinking about getting some kind of Smart folio.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question about AirPods: I read about people "sucking out" the earwax and all that stuff.
Is this really that much of a problem? In the past I used the normal headphones from apple and never had such a problem.
Coming from a old iPad 3, using a new 9.7 iPad is absolutly insane and feels like a realy new way to use a tablet. So many interesting new features.
And opting for a iPad with 128GB was absolutly the right idea. Carrying so much data around is great. And I cant stop to use Splitview, such a great feature.
Really excited for iPad OS now. I am already looking for Bluetooth mouses and thinking about getting some kind of Smart folio.

I told you to be excited for the new OS :p! Also, I personally bought a logi bluetooth Keyboard that allows up to three devices to sync. This way I've one small keyboard for my iPad, my Mac, and my laptop