• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I only use Firefox for downloading web videos so I'm still on 56. Which was fine for a while. I just kept it from updating But somehow Mozilla fucked extensions up a few weeks ago even on older unupdated browsers so TabMixPlus doesn't work anymore. So I might as well just update to whatever the new Firefox version is. I just need DownloadHelper and I think it works there now. But I'd rather it have stayed how I had it with TMP still working. I need my multiple tab rows in Firefox. I can't believe Mozilla was able to fuck up extension support without even updating the browser. WTF?

Safari is just so much nicer on macOS ever since Apple started caring about it a while ago.

Check out the command-line app "youtube-dl". It'll probably do what you want, and with little overhead.

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't do that -- AirPlay adds about 2s of audio latency (AP2 gets that down to about a second). iOS/tvOS will offset video feeds to align with that latency, but anything else will be out-of-sync.

This is probably the main reason I haven't yet bought a HomePod -- since it lacks any wired input, it won't work in a home theater setting where you want anything other than AirPlay input. I can use it with my ATV, but I'd need to jump through a bunch of hoops only to get a bunch of latency if I tried to put my PS4 or turntable through it. Even worse, I stream games to my ATV, and those would have that ~1s of audio latency on a HomePod output.

My tv has a setting you can offset the video for audio syncing issues. I am pretty sure most modern tvs have that as well.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's how I interpret it, yes. So even if it's just initiating an airplay request to your phone it'll still work as you want (more or less)
If with AirPlay 2 it means that stream won't stop due to audio things happening on the phone, like calls or embedded video on webpages, then it's golden!
My tv has a setting you can offset the video for audio syncing issues. I am pretty sure most modern tvs have that as well.
That's real good. I imagined something like that could alleviate the issue, but unfortunately won't help with gaming.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you use the Nintendo Switches AC adapter to charge a MacBook Air? Got one laying around and was thinking of taking that to my work and use it there so I don't have to lug around the adapter that came with my Mac?

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I'm mostly a Linux user, but I got a fancy new MBP for work (developer) and have really been liking macOS.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 21" iMac to put in the kitchen for me and my gf to use. Her laptop sucks so it would be a nice upgrade for her and she would like having a Mac. I have a pretty nice laptop I run fedora on, but I would like having a desktop Mac that I could sit at and code.

I don't want to spend a lot though - maybe like $500 tops if that's even possible. Obviously I'm looking at refurbished older models. How far back can I go before the hardware starts to get really outdated? What are the good deals on older iMacs?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm mostly a Linux user, but I got a fancy new MBP for work (developer) and have really been liking macOS.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 21" iMac to put in the kitchen for me and my gf to use. Her laptop sucks so it would be a nice upgrade for her and she would like having a Mac. I have a pretty nice laptop I run fedora on, but I would like having a desktop Mac that I could sit at and code.

I don't want to spend a lot though - maybe like $500 tops if that's even possible. Obviously I'm looking at refurbished older models. How far back can I go before the hardware starts to get really outdated? What are the good deals on older iMacs?

Depends on what you want to use it for. $500 is going to get you something fairly old since macs annoyingly keep their value even for older models with low specs. If its just basic stuff like internet then it shouldn't really matter. Based on used imacs on my local craigslist, you'd be looking at a 2011-2013 model, probably with a 2nd or 3rd gen i5.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
When do you guys think the next Apple TV 4K will come out?
There have been absolutely no rumors about it from what I recall, so likely not this year. There's also barely any hardware updates to be made. The thing rocks an A10X, supports 4K, DV, HDR10, Atmos ... I guess the HDMI port could be updated to support the new kinds of HDR. That being said however, I could see them announcing a new device alongside their service offensive when Apple TV+ service launches this fall, so if you don't crave it now, maybe wait if you have one of the absolute latest high end TV sets.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

As long as it can load the latest OS (so the 2012 iMac or better) and has an SSD it will fly.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you use the Nintendo Switches AC adapter to charge a MacBook Air? Got one laying around and was thinking of taking that to my work and use it there so I don't have to lug around the adapter that came with my Mac?
It should be ok and at worst it will just charge it at a slower pace. But the MBA comes with a 30W charger so it shouldn't be a big difference I reckon.

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
How does spark compare to Airmail? Airmail 3 is $27 on Mac and $5 on iOS and Spark is free on all platforms.

I mainly like spark has full dark mode on MacOS, presumably they will add a full dark mode to the iOS version in the fall, (1) compose now and send the email at a specified time later, (2) snooze email and look at it at a specified time later, (3) splitting into categories in your inbox.

And it seems to sync all my preference changes across devices which is cool.

I have a gmail account as my backend main email where I forward everything (both work and personal email).

I even tried Outlook and I have a O365 account through work but Outlook won't let you send later on my personal gmail account. Someone on the MacOS App they restrict the sending later functionality to your O365 email or prevent it from working with gmail...

...Thanks!

Spark is/feels a bit more cluttered than Airmail from a UI perspective, but it also feels a more customizable. Airmail doesn't seem to have the send later functionality you're looking for, but they do both have snooze and the category splitting.

That being said, I don't think Airmail is worth the $27 for the desktop version over Spark... I believe I paid $10 for it back in the day, which seemed fine at the time.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Spark is/feels a bit more cluttered than Airmail from a UI perspective, but it also feels a more customizable. Airmail doesn't seem to have the send later functionality you're looking for, but they do both have snooze and the category splitting.

That being said, I don't think Airmail is worth the $27 for the desktop version over Spark... I believe I paid $10 for it back in the day, which seemed fine at the time.

Thanks!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was dismissive of USB-C until recently. I figured whats the point - people have micro USB everywhere, lightning chargers everywhere. But its already pretty convenient. I have a MBP charger on my desk for when I'm working from home and that'll charge my MBP, switch, Oculus Quest. Already starting to hit a number of devices to make it useful to have.

And I have a portable battery with USB C port. In theory I could charge my MBP with that if I get caught short? Wouldn't give me much (10000mah) but could get me out of a sticky situation in an emergency

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Obviously I'm looking at refurbished older models. How far back can I go before the hardware starts to get really outdated?

SSD is the big thing to look for, spinning disk makes them unbearable. Refer to fixit.com before purchase if you might consider any for upgrades down the road. The 'cheap' version of the 21" iMac has been a terrible buy for many years due to 5400RPM drive (to this day) and 5W mobile CPUs.

Oct 27, 2017
Just checking in with any bootcamp users, have any of you tried W10 - 1903 (May update?). I tried updating the other day and results weren't great so ended up having to roll back. I figure I'll try again after Catalina (and hopefully a new version of bootcamp) is out, but I just wanted to ask what experiences others were having with it?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Just checking in with any bootcamp users, have any of you tried W10 - 1903 (May update?). I tried updating the other day and results weren't great so ended up having to roll back. I figure I'll try again after Catalina (and hopefully a new version of bootcamp) is out, but I just wanted to ask what experiences others were having with it?

I haven't had any problems with it.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
How come? Does it damage something?
Yup! The Switch dock uses USB-PD (USB-power delivery, for higher voltages than USB's standard 5v, just like the MBPs) with a USB-C connector (again, just like the MBP). The only issue is that the Switch doesn't negotiate the max power draw according the USB spec, and so it can potentially overdraw power and damage devices or cause a fire.

(It's a reddit thread that summarizes + links back to some G+ comments that were lost when it shut down)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yup! The Switch dock uses USB-PD (USB-power delivery, for higher voltages than USB's standard 5v, just like the MBPs) with a USB-C connector (again, just like the MBP). The only issue is that the Switch doesn't negotiate the max power draw according the USB spec, and so it can potentially overdraw power and damage devices or cause a fire.

(It's a reddit thread that summarizes + links back to some G+ comments that were lost when it shut down)

I realize we're getting off topic but I've always charged my Switch with my Macbook USB-C charger. Is this not ok? I also regularly use/charge the Switch with a portable USB-C battery.

My dock has never even been out of the box.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I was dismissive of USB-C until recently. I figured whats the point - people have micro USB everywhere, lightning chargers everywhere. But its already pretty convenient. I have a MBP charger on my desk for when I'm working from home and that'll charge my MBP, switch, Oculus Quest. Already starting to hit a number of devices to make it useful to have.

And I have a portable battery with USB C port. In theory I could charge my MBP with that if I get caught short? Wouldn't give me much (10000mah) but could get me out of a sticky situation in an emergency
Yeah it's pretty rad once you get into it. I use my Macbook Pro USB-C charger for both my laptop and my phone everyday. I haven't used it with my Switch yet (for no real reason, I have the Switch USB-C charger plugged in beside it), but I'd give that a go too. USB-C all the things!

Unforgiven

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, that's great info! Thanks ascagnel

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I realize we're getting off topic but I've always charged my Switch with my Macbook USB-C charger. Is this not ok? I also regularly use/charge the Switch with a portable USB-C battery.

It's fine, the problem is when the dock gets involved. The dock should be used with the official charger only.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's fine, the problem is when the dock gets involved. The dock should be used with the official charger only.

This is my understanding as well. But also know that the wall plug it comes with also doesn't follow USB-PD standards. If you plug anything into it it SHOULD fall back on 5V power, but I can't personally guarantee that

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Just found out the new Portrait Lighting is not available on iPhone X and x plus .
Fuck you Tim Cook. There is no limitation for this not to be on a iPhone x device

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered if these seemingly artificial photo limitations are just pure metadata fuckery or if they actually contain more data since you can, say, edit the depth of a pic you shot on Xs on an older phone. I could've sworn STS made Portrait Lightning available on iPhone 7 shots or something but I can't find the tweets anymore

E: ah, here we go https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/932236047659995138?s=21

Last edited:

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018

You're fine if you plug the MBP charger directly into the Switch. It's only the dock that seems to operate off-spec.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone talk me out of getting an 11" iPad Pro that will replace my old iPad Air and double as a light (e-mail and MSO365) laptop ?
To be honest, my biggest hurdle is that I use corporate fonts.

The other thing stopping me right now is that I can't decide on a keyboard solution (contenders are Apple's and Brydge Pro). And as usual, I can't decide on storage, even though I think 256GB should be enough.

Last time I asked you guys to talk me out of something, I ended up buying a HomePod lol.
I love it, though.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone talk me out of getting an 11" iPad Pro that will replace my old iPad Air and double as a light (e-mail and MSO365) laptop ?

The other thing stopping me right now is that I can't decide on a keyboard solution (contenders are Apple's and Brydge Pro). And as usual, I can't decide on storage, even though I think 256GB should be enough.

Last time I asked you guys to talk me out of something, I ended up buying a HomePod lol.
I love it, though.

Let's skip the small-talk. Just go and buy a 2nd homePod.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I love it, though.

Why would I talk you out of buying the best piece of hardware Apple's made in years

11", 256GB, Brydge Keyboard

Thank me later

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

I love it, though.

Buy it, yes 256GB is plenty.

I would use a bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard or a Brydge keyboard if you don't mind the bulk.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The Pro is so desirable. If it wouldn't be for some Windows stuff I need I would totally make the switch from my Surface (which I need to upgrade soonish as well...)

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah, I'm probably pulling the trigger on that one. My mammoth Comixology and iTunes movie collections will probably appreciate the upgrade.

I'm not gonna lie, that iPadOS preview really sold me on the idea.

Let's skip the small-talk. Just go and buy a 2nd homePod.
To be fair, our place isn't that huge, as the HomePod sits in the living room, but I could really use a HomePod Mini for the Kitchen. A full HomePod for the kitchen is going to be a hard sell, as it would feel a bit luxurious to my wife (who keeps bickering with Siri when she tries to turn on the radio in the morning).

But yeah, I really don't regret that purchase.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not being sour grapes just because I own an iPad Pro 2 *cough cough*, but while the newer Pro looks amazing, I can't get over its apparent flimsiness, which is something I can see Apple fix in the next update, like the fixed iPhone 6 with the iPhone 6s.

I know the situation isn't nearly as bad as some clickbait articles and youtubers make it seem, but still.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I love it, though.

The newest ipad air will do the same tasks and is cheaper. Also has a headphone jack.

Oct 29, 2017
I think I might get a Mini 5 and see how it compares to my 10.5" Pro. I'm finding the Pro to be a little too big and awkward to hold. It's great propped up to watch a video but using it to browse (by far my biggest usage) is just a bit cumbersome.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Any experiences with the iPhone XR clear case? I'm getting my mom the phone for her birthday and was looking into a case. Somehow a lot of the third party cases I've seen look absolutely terrible so I'm leaning towards a clear case. Just wondering if the apple offering is any good or just as bad as other clear cases.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know Apple released an official clear case for the Xr. WOW at the price. I've been recently disappointed at the durability of my official white silicone case for the X. Both bottom corners started to peel and crumble, exposing the inside material of the case.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Any experiences with the iPhone XR clear case? I'm getting my mom the phone for her birthday and was looking into a case. Somehow a lot of the third party cases I've seen look absolutely terrible so I'm leaning towards a clear case. Just wondering if the apple offering is any good or just as bad as other clear cases.
The official one doesn't look that much different than third party ones, and I'm sure it will turn yellow just like the rest which is why I have this one:
z8Wytut.jpg

Last edited: