• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Check out this part of Gruber's take: "This may be good news. Ive is, to state the obvious, preternaturally talented. But in the post-Jobs era, with all of Apple design, hardware and software, under his control, we've seen the software design decline and the hardware go wonky. I don't know the inside story, but it certainly seems like a good bet that MacBook keyboard fiasco we're still in the midst of is the direct result of Jony Ive's obsession with device thinness and minimalism. Today's MacBooks are worse computers but more beautiful devices than the ones they replaced. Is that directly attributable to Jony Ive? With these keyboards in particular, I believe the answer is yes."

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly - with how devices have become pretty much glass slabs with 95% screens ... i think an Industrial designer's 'canvas', so to speak, is just way too small, and it's all about materials used, and fancy techniques and chamfers.

I think there's plenty of fantastically gifted industrial designers who'll be happy to design iPhones, iMacs and Macbooks in the future. And i feel like Apple's design "language" is ingrained so deeply within the company's DNA, so the loss of Ive won't be as harshly felt as it would have been ... 10 years ago.

What's important today - more than ever - is UI and UX design, and that's something that i don't think Ive was particularly involved with.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he take over iOS design after Forstall was ousted?

I'm quite sure he created some of the design language, icon guidelines, and the aesthetics - but he's no UX designer imho.
Like iOS 7 was really half-baked in many aspects and needed some serious course correction further down the line.

iu

like, oof ... the iOS 7 control center was just baaad.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Check out this part of Gruber's take: "This may be good news. Ive is, to state the obvious, preternaturally talented. But in the post-Jobs era, with all of Apple design, hardware and software, under his control, we've seen the software design decline and the hardware go wonky. I don't know the inside story, but it certainly seems like a good bet that MacBook keyboard fiasco we're still in the midst of is the direct result of Jony Ive's obsession with device thinness and minimalism. Today's MacBooks are worse computers but more beautiful devices than the ones they replaced. Is that directly attributable to Jony Ive? With these keyboards in particular, I believe the answer is yes."

I have to agree.
as I type this on a 2nd generation butterfly keyboard :lol

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide whether to get a smart cover or a separate bluetooth keyboard

It depends on what compromise you feel able to deal with, there isn't a perfect solution here. I went with a £15 case off Amazon and use my Apple bluetooth keyboard because I don't want a keyboard hanging off the back when I just want to read a magazine in bed and I haven't liked the typing feel (and the prices!) on the keyboard cases that I have tried.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
It depends on what compromise you feel able to deal with, there isn't a perfect solution here. I went with a £15 case off Amazon and use my Apple bluetooth keyboard because I don't want a keyboard hanging off the back when I just want to read a magazine in bed and I haven't liked the typing feel (and the prices!) on the keyboard cases that I have tried.

This is actually exactly where I'm at. Kinda wanna get the Apple 'Magic' keyboard, but not sure if I wanna drop that dough. Also still need to get a case

Oct 29, 2017
I've just ordered dbrand skins for my iPhone X and iPad Mini 5. I definitely want to keep my iPad pretty minimal and even though the rear ESR cover I have doesn't add much, it's enough that I feel it takes away the niceness of the device and adds some clunk. So I'll skin the back and keep the Smart Cover which I'll snap off when browsing etc.

The skin for my phone is a bit of a gamble. I'm not totally convinced how comfortable I'll feel not having a case at all but figured I'd like to give it a go and the skin will add some protection from scratches.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My S4 watch is going nuts.

It was charged to 100% yesterday and by bedtime it was at 21%. I topped it off to 78% and went to bed, but it was totally deal this morning.

I charged it back to 100% this morning and it's at 50% right now.

WTF?

I usually charge it like an hour in the afternoon and I'm good.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would buy the shit out of a 199€ HomePod. Hopefully Black Friday comes through this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly - with how devices have become pretty much glass slabs with 95% screens ... i think an Industrial designer's 'canvas', so to speak, is just way too small, and it's all about materials used, and fancy techniques and chamfers.

I think there's plenty of fantastically gifted industrial designers who'll be happy to design iPhones, iMacs and Macbooks in the future. And i feel like Apple's design "language" is ingrained so deeply within the company's DNA, so the loss of Ive won't be as harshly felt as it would have been ... 10 years ago.

What's important today - more than ever - is UI and UX design, and that's something that i don't think Ive was particularly involved with.

I think that's probably why Ive wanted to go. Apple's design language long ago basically reached its apex. There's just not much else they can do with aluminum and glass they haven't already; we'll see iterations and occasional changeups but so much of computer design is about being invisible. He did the Watch and Apple Park, which were big departures, but what else is there?

In some ways that's the professed endpoint of a lot of modern design—that the tech should be invisible as it's not the whole point of it—but it's not a very fulfilling creative inevitability.

Of course, now I wonder how much of the new Mac Pro's more brutal turn is indicative of any differences we'll see more generally. I imagine a lot of the designs we'll see in the next couple of years will at least have been touched by him, so it'll be hard to say when a truly "new" and non-Ives product comes out of Apple.

I mean, Gruber has the potential to know a lot more than us plebes, but his pessimistic take seems a bit odd given stuff like that paragraph and the genre tone of Apple punditry. I wonder if it's just some "last touch of Jobs" nostalgia.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on the Catalina beta build? How stable is it? I really wanted to mess around with Swift UI but you need Catalina for it. So stupid.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Hmmm.... I have access to a legit watchOS beta profile. How much do I hate myself?

What's the killer apps of that again? I'm on 3 so I miss out on the faces. I regret not getting series 4 when I bought them used last year. I need to figure out when I can get used s4 at cheapest bc I think that one should at least get everything for a few more years. There's just no way I'm buying a new s5 and lkke the looks of way more faces after the s3

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the killer apps of that again? I'm on 3 so I miss out on the faces. I regret not getting series 4 when I bought them used last year. I need to figure out when I can get used s4 at cheapest bc I think that one should at least get everything for a few more years. There's just no way I'm buying a new s5 and lkke the looks of way more faces after the s3

Killer apps? Uh, I can add my Apple Card to it and stop using my phone like an animal

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually exactly where I'm at. Kinda wanna get the Apple 'Magic' keyboard, but not sure if I wanna drop that dough. Also still need to get a case

'How about an older original apple BT keyboard? I have one and they're still nice looking and compact

I had a Smart Keyboard on my 2nd gen and found it very dull to type on. The folding of the new one is simpler but the price is...oof. Maybe if they added a trackpad I might swallow it.

i'm still tempted to update from 2nd gen to the new designs. Was going to buy from Japan at Christmas but exchange rates have fucked me up a bit so it's not massively cheaper anymore. So if 4th gen is expected around this time next year I might try and hold off

Any recommended third party covers as apple ones are overpriced

Anyone gone from a 12.9 to an 11 and missed the screen size? Doesn't seem a massive but it would make side by side a little less nice, PiP smaller etc. It's only an indoor device and mostly for consumption but is basically my laptop unless i'm Forced onto a computer then I have a desktop for that

Last edited:

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own the MBP 13" mid-2018 quad core and I've never loved it like I used to love my 2013 MBA. Thinking of going back to that this year...

Main killer for me is battery life. Stream Twitch for 3-4 hours and I'm in the red. *slaps MBA* they used to ride these babies for miles

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so i went for a swim (in a swimming pool mind you) with my apple watch 4 and its dead as a dodo now. it was on waterlock and it showed the mainscreen a few times before completely locking up. i could do the water disposal beeping thing too. now it only shows the apple logo when charging before it reboots again ad infinitum...

waterproof my ass.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
so i went for a swim (in a swimming pool mind you) with my apple watch 4 and its dead as a dodo now. it was on waterlock and it showed the mainscreen a few times before completely locking up. i could do the water disposal beeping thing too. now it only shows the apple logo when charging before it reboots again ad infinitum...

waterproof my ass.

That sucks. May have a defective one, as I've been in the pool several times with my 3. Worth having apple support check it out if you're able.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

waterproof my ass.

My wife and I swim with ours all the time. You just had a defective watch.

Mar 3, 2018
iPad question;

I want to get a second iPad that's not the pro, as I only want to use it for reading manga and comics. Obviously I wanna spend at least as possible since that is all I'll ever use it for.

Which older generation iPad can I get that would serve this function well. I just need it to be able to run the manga and comic book reading apps without crashing etc. There's so many older iPad version so I am not sure which to get.

Would appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thank!

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
iPad question;

I want to get a second iPad that's not the pro, as I only want to use it for reading manga and comics. Obviously I wanna spend at least as possible since that is all I'll ever use it for.

Which older generation iPad can I get that would serve this function well. I just need it to be able to run the manga and comic book reading apps without crashing etc. There's so many older iPad version so I am not sure which to get.

Anything with at least 2 GB RAM should suffice (Mini 4 or newer, Air 2 or newer, iPad (2017) or newer, or any Pro). I'd recommend the iPad Pro 10.5, which balances a reasonable price with exceptional screen and audio quality (and has 4 GB of RAM).

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I have the iPad Air 2 and for a 5 year old device it runs great and still has a really nice screen. Obviously not as snappy as the Pro models, but totally usable.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I've just got a Mini 5 and prefer it to the 10.5" iPad for reading comics (specifically Marvel Unlimited for me).

It's still easily readable on the smaller screen but it's a lot easier to hold and carry about. So it might be worth looking into the Mini 4? We picked up a Mini 4 last week for £130 off eBay for my daughter knowing that it still runs well and it's going to get iOS 13 too.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
iPad question;

Personally, if you're shooting for the lower end of the spectrum, maybe just get the lowest specced Mini 5, or the "iPad (2017)". Both of them have the best "future proof hardware vs. price"

Like, the new Air is 200 bucks more expensive than the 9.7 inch iPad from 2017.
The new Mini is more ergonomic and right in between the two larger tablets.

Anything older than these devices are imho too close to not receiving iOS updates anymore (like, the Mini 4 is going to get iOS 14 at best, same for the Air 2 - they're the same chipset and the Air 1 isn't even getting iOS 13)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
But if it's only to use for comics and manga then does it need years of support?

I'd rather get a 350 dollar tablet that has years of support than a 200 dollar tablet that is way closer to the end of its support window.
But if the question-asker is certain about not caring about that at all then i guess a mini 4 would be the best choice?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am that close to pull the trigger on an iPad Pro 12.9 to repalce my Surface Pro 3.
I'd lose the PC capabilities but honestly I never actually fully used them. I just use it for browsing and some painting and I expect the Pro to handle that better anyway. I always wanted to be able to play some games as well and sticking to mobile games seems like a better idea anyway instead of trying to run PC games on teh Surface...

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I am that close to pull the trigger on an iPad Pro 12.9 to repalce my Surface Pro 3.
I'd lose the PC capabilities but honestly I never actually fully used them. I just use it for browsing and some painting and I expect the Pro to handle that better anyway. I always wanted to be able to play some games as well and sticking to mobile games seems like a better idea anyway instead of trying to run PC games on teh Surface...
You could also link up an Xbox or PS controller (on the new iPadOS) and just steam link whatever games you feel like playing on your iPad.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
You could also link up an Xbox or PS controller (on the new iPadOS) and just steam link whatever games you feel like playing on your iPad.
Oh for sure but when I am travelling that is not possible since I don't have my PC turned on 24/7. The price of a lighter budget gaming laptop equals the pro (+ pencil and keyboard) but honestly the portability and usecases are pushing me towards the iPad.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Oh for sure but when I am travelling that is not possible since I don't have my PC turned on 24/7. The price of a lighter budget gaming laptop equals the pro (+ pencil and keyboard) but honestly the portability and usecases are pushing me towards the iPad.
Yeah, that's true. If you travel a lot it might be different. But if you can make do with mobile games, I'd definitely opt for an iPad + pencil, maybe with a keyboard (case) if you need to type a lot.

I have a desktop at home for the occasional PC use, but I often go weeks between using it, and when I do it's mostly to play games, rather than basic computing.

(also helps with the energy bill, coincidently)

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
woah that can't be right.

Twitch has a garbage video player when it comes to performance/battery life (likely so they can inject ads and all the integrations on top of videos). I'm on a 2011 Mac Mini (saving up for an upgrade), and while the system can play video just fine through an app like IINA, it absolutely cannot deal with the web interface.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
My wife wants the Apple Watch and it's our 1 year anniversary this Sunday so might purchase the 40mm gold/rose gold one for her.

The only thing I am worried about is that she uses it as a gimmick and then gets sick of it.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife wants the Apple Watch and it's our 1 year anniversary this Sunday so might purchase the 40mm gold/rose gold one for her.

The only thing I am worried about is that she uses it as a gimmick and then gets sick of it.
If that's a legitimate concern, make sure you get her a colour that you'd be happy to wear yourself.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean you know your wife better than us, but my wife wasn't interested at all in one and once she saw mine wanted to get one as an anniversary present. Uses it constantly.

It's not really like anyone "needs" one as they aren't independent devices anyhow. Marriage is about picking battles.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I mean you know your wife better than us, but my wife wasn't interested at all in one and once she saw mine wanted to get one as an anniversary present. Uses it constantly.

It's not really like anyone "needs" one as they aren't independent devices anyhow. Marriage is about picking battles.

Right, I just ordered one. I think she'll use it, I just get worried that she won't because it's pricey lol

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

even if she doesn't use all its capabilities (and i mean, who does ... i feel like most users only use the watch for like 50% of what it can really do)
Even as a sleek digital watch that shows your important notifications it's a very nice device.
Like, you don't really "use" the AppleWatch. You kinda just wear it.