• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
XS for sure if the extra costs isn't an issue. Even the Max version for its bigger battery and screen if you don't mind big phones.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I probably will not buy this year's phone as well and stick to the X until the 2020 all new models but I can't say I won't be enticed by the new camera. I already often grab my SO's iPhone Xr to shoot a picture and then AirDrop it to my X. The camera is just much better. Very noticeably so. I can't imagine the 2019 cameras. So the craving will be real. And especially important to catch my kid's moments. But somehow, I will try to power through.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm gonna move from the XS to the XI Max. I really love this screen size, but going bigger is just so enticing

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Apple is replacing my iPad Pro 10.5 with a "bright spot" for free. Hooray.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Changing the notification preview setting from "When Unlocked" to "Always" was the best thing I did in a while. Now I just have to look at the phone and read, as opposed to having to pick it up, holding it in front of my face, waiting for Face ID to scan my face, optionally entering my passcode if it fails to do so, and finally waiting yet another moment for the animation of the notification bubbles.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
IMG_20190706_115227__01.jpg

Great Apple design is when you have to buy a pen holder for .89 cents on AliExpress to keep your Pencil from falling off your iPad in your backpack. Thanks Jony Ive.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
IMG_20190706_115227__01.jpg

Great Apple design is when you have to buy a pen holder for .89 cents on AliExpress to keep your Pencil from falling off your iPad in your backpack. Thanks Jony Ive.

That's my biggest beef with the 2nd gen pencil. I love that it stays synced and charged. The first gen was terrible for being always out of charge when you needed it. But the magnets aren't strong enough for bag use generally. I have had cases that had nice spots to keep the pencil (And keep it charged) but I'm currently using the otherwise lovely keyboard folio case on my 11 inch and I've lost that nice spot.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is the iPad Pro 3rd gen getting hot along the left edge normal? Was just browsing safari and a bit of YouTube and it's surprisingly hot along h elect bezel and the left half of the back.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the pencil / pencil charging area needs more magnets. I have no problems with it falling off, but it's not attached strongly enough and will therefore wiggle around and scrape the Aluminium, at least on the space grey one. Already have slightly faint areas on that side. It's a known issue.

Not like its too hard to remove the pencil when you need it right now, one extra magnet near the tip and one at the other end of the pencil should suffice to keep it fixed without adding too much required strength.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
GRUBER: "The news here isn't about the return to scissor-switch keyboards with more travel — word spread on that a few months ago. It's an open secret. The news is that it might ship first on an updated Air — until now, word was that it would first appear on the upcoming 16-inch edge-to-edge display MacBook Pro that will replace the current 15-inch models. It sounds like that 16-inch MBP won't be coming until 2020 — which makes some sense because Apple did just refresh the 15-inch models. And if the new Air is on an annual update schedule, it should be set for October.

UPDATE: A friend wrote to me: "That this leaked after Ive's departure is no coincidence." A few DF readers have emailed with the same thought."

Gruber's "friend".

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't planning on upgrading to whatever new iPad Pro comes out since the current 12.9 I feel is actual physical perfection in hardware, but I'm gonna have a steep discount available in a few months so I might as well use it...

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I wasn't planning on upgrading to whatever new iPad Pro comes out since the current 12.9 I feel is actual physical perfection in hardware, but I'm gonna have a steep discount available in a few months so I might as well use it...

Yeah the real beauty is that the 12.9 feels good now. I literally drag my iPad around the house like a lil girl with her doll, so the lability is huge for me, but the more I realize how much I use an iPad for media and just amount of usage period, the bigger screen just can't be beat.

any phone or iPad from now on will be the bigger one and I'm ready to go past 55 inch screen tv too.

If anything I'd rather limit my screen time, not screen size.

Also another thing I learned is the 12.9 gets a better keyboard which is nice, but the full featured split view on life safari is what I really wish I had. reminds Me I need to run split view apps more often,

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Is there an official Apple Silicone Case for the iPad Pro 12.9?

Last edited:

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say I really like the PowerBeats Pro so far... primarily they sound really good, noticeably better than my original AirPods.

The four different eartips are nice to have and I like the one that comes on it out of the box. This one has kind of a double tip. It has the smallest time but then it has a second wider tip brim thing on the outside.

They turn off and on quickly by pressing the B button. Adjust the volume easily and quickly with a volume button on either ear. I really like the buttons.

Hey Siri is nice to have coming from original AirPods.

The long battery life means you don't need to carry the case with you in your pocket if your going for a short trip. It's nice to have 24 hour battery life in the case if needed.

When I travel to work or on a trip I always have at least a bag so the size of the case is not an issue for me.

I can listen to music for a long time while working at the computer or working out and not worry about battery life or the ear piece falling out while I'm very active. (Honestly my AirPods never feel out in over two years of daily use but that may vary by your ear shape.)

They feel fine on my ears even with my glasses on. And I can still hear street noise just fine while riding my bike through the city streets and listening to music.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
So Apple didn't make any announcements about supporting RCS, the successor to MMS messaging, at WWDC this year, correct? So over MMS messages never going through.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a good time to buy AirPods or is a redesign due soon?
I would wait.
OVERHAULED AIRPODS IN LATE 2019 OR EARLY 2020
Bloomberg has said that Apple is working on third-generation AirPods that will feature a new design and perhaps improved water resistance that will allow the AirPods to hold up to "splashes of water and rain."

The AirPods aren't likely to be entirely water resistant, however, and won't be able to be submerged in liquid. These third-generation AirPods are also rumored to include noise cancellation features and increase the distance that AirPods can be listened to away from an iPhone or iPad.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple will launch two new AirPods models in late 2019 to early 2020, one of which will feature an "all-new form factor design" and a higher price than the current second-generation AirPods.

Specific design changes that are coming have not been specified, so it's not clear what will change. The second model that's in the works is said to be an iterative update with the same pricing as the current model.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
To anyone else n iOS 13 public beta

How do I use Siri to set a reminder for when I'm messaging someone?

I can do it manually in the reminder app but Siri doesn't work when I say

Remind me when messaging name or anything of the like

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I just got a calendar notification with an invitation to an event which was held two months ago (which I had already received and accepted back then). I can discard the notification, but when I close and reopen Notification Center, it's back.

It's not the first time that this happens.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So what's the reality about ram for a MacBook Pro? I've been thinking about upgrading to a 2019 and my 2014 has 16 GB. I'd like to keep the same amount but it's annoying that I'll have to get a custom pro ordered instead of just dropping into a store. I've been reading people online saying that large amounts of ram arent needed so much now because of the fast SSD that are used now. Use case would be programming for web applications or Access at most. I guess slack and visual studio use in the future has me concerned too. I'm finishing up a degree in information management system right now.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So what's the reality about ram for a MacBook Pro? I've been thinking about upgrading to a 2019 and my 2014 has 16 GB. I'd like to keep the same amount but it's annoying that I'll have to get a custom pro ordered instead of just dropping into a store. I've been reading people online saying that large amounts of ram arent needed so much now because of the fast SSD that are used now. Use case would be programming for web applications or Access at most. I guess slack and visual studio use in the future has me concerned too. I'm finishing up a degree in information management system right now.

I would definitely go with 16gb, because also remember you can't add more later. Depending on what kind of programming you're exactly doing you'll need it. My old work MBP had 16gb and I had to run a VM, then later I used Docker, both of which would sometimes use up all my ram depending on what I was doing.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So sell me on the iPad Pro. My tech itch really wants one. I'm inclined to want the 11" model, but everyone seems to be all about the larger 12.9"?

Is a keyboard case a must? I hear the first party Apple one sucks tho? Like go with Logitech or something else instead?

Does iOS13 really make this shit useful?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So sell me on the iPad Pro. My tech itch really wants one. I'm inclined to want the 11" model, but everyone seems to be all about the larger 12.9"?

Is a keyboard case a must? I hear the first party Apple one sucks tho? Like go with Logitech or something else instead?

I'm smitten with the 12.9 but I use mine as my main mobile machine (no laptop) and my sole machine for school. The big apps in split screen and a big canvas for handwriting notes is incredible. But you do use it mostly in landscape, so if you're looking for mostly portrait it can be a bit big.

The keyboard case is nice, I didn't hate the Apple one but I do way prefer the Brydge keyboard. If you're doing significant typing, I consider it indispensable.

iPadOS is transformative.

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017

Unless you want to commit to the iPad as your main computer, go with the 11". A physical keyboard of some sort to go with your iPad is a must-have. I'm using a standalone keyboard (Logitech K380) with my 9.7 Pro, but will probably switch to a Brydge whenever I upgrade to a newer iPad Pro.

iPadOS (iOS 13) has removed a lot of the frustration I felt when using my iPad. While I haven't gotten my head around the multitasking changes yet, desktop-class Safari on the iPad has made such a big difference already.

The iPad Pro is the best portable computer Apple sells today, and it's become my favorite computer in the last year or two. The hardware is fantastic, and you don't have to worry about ultrafragile keyboards. I also enjoy using iOS on the iPad more these days since iOS has a much healthier software ecosystem than the Mac. Will it ever totally replace a traditional desktop for me? Eh, probably not. But I'm fine with that; after all we never totally replaced the terminal.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you want to commit to the iPad as your main computer, go with the 11". A physical keyboard of some sort to go with your iPad is a must-have. I'm using a standalone keyboard (Logitech K380) with my 9.7 Pro, but will probably switch to a Brydge whenever I upgrade to a newer iPad Pro.

iPadOS (iOS 13) has removed a lot of the frustration I felt when using my iPad. While I haven't gotten my head around the multitasking changes yet, desktop-class Safari on the iPad has made such a big difference already.

The iPad Pro is the best portable computer Apple sells today, and it's become my favorite computer in the last year or two. The hardware is fantastic, and you don't have to worry about ultrafragile keyboards. I also enjoy using iOS on the iPad more these days since iOS has a much healthier software ecosystem than the Mac. Will it ever totally replace a traditional desktop for me? Eh, probably not. But I'm fine with that; after all we never totally replaced the terminal.

12.9 is fabulous for media consumption too.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

I absolutely love the Keyboard Folio from Apple. I think the typing feel is great for the form factor and you are super flexible since thanks to the magnets, you can just pull it off with ease whenever you want to enjoy your iPad naked for reading or watching stuff in bed etc. That being said, it's priced way too high. Got mine for like 40% off sealed on Ebay, so if you consider it, check that before. It also isn't covered under AC+ contrary to the pencil which I guess speaks volumes about Apples confidence in the product ... we will see how it holds up.

Stuff like Brydge and "loose" keyboards are too clunky/require too much setup imo. I tried to use my iPad with a bluetooth keyboard and I didn't like the experience at all. It couldn't keep up with my typing speed for some reason (which isn't the case with the Keyboard Folio, no lag whatsoever thanks to the Smart Connector I assume) and it was just annoying having to carry around something extra.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I like how the folio keyboard is magnetic but the quality is awful, mine just looks awful with scratches and stains after a few months, unlike any silicone iPhone cases I've had.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
12.9 is fabulous for media consumption too.

Yeah I have a 12.9 pro and don't really use it for anything pro. Tried lightroom but the workflow was horrible - might try again with the new files options on ipadOS.

But its a great consumption device. Probably watch more TV on it than my actual TV so I kind of don't mind having spent so much on it

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

I have a 2017 13 TB" with only 8GB and it works just fine with a Windows 10 VM with 4GB of RAM allocated to it in Parallels... I'd say go for 16Gb if you are actually gonna use it.. If you only use web apps and keep it to a normal email/word/forums type of usage then the basic setup is more than fine.

So Apple didn't make any announcements about supporting RCS, the successor to MMS messaging, at WWDC this year, correct? So over MMS messages never going through.

The whole idea as a whole is flawed.. iMessage works just fine and RCS is a way to push Android iMessage.

Oct 29, 2017
I just can't decide whether to keep my 10.5" Pro or the Mini 5.

I really like both devices, the large screen of the 10.5 looks really nice and it's not TOO heavy to hold. The Mini is great for one-handed usage and also looks really nice, very sharp.

I'm not a student or a designer, I've got the pencil with the intention of messing about and maybe learning to draw cartoon characters for a bit of fun. The iPad is mostly used to browse websites, read comics and once a week I'll watch some football on it. All at home, I never really take the iPad out as I don't take public transport to work so no commuting usage.

So with that said, some of it points to me keeping the 10.5" (I don't need portability, it's a couch device, comics and football look great on it) but then the Mini has advantages (so light to hold for browsing and comics, still looks great with regards to the screen, it actually has cellular if I ever needed it for some reason, the larger screen is maybe wasted a little on me).

What to do, what to do....

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Recently quit video games and been on an apple spree with most recently a HomePod ( With Phillips Hue lights), an iPad ( regular but waiting for return to get mini instead), and an Xr. Biggest surprises were the HomePod and enjoying the compatibility with all my devices and the pencil with the ipad

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Apple discontinuing the 12 inch MB apparently and they just updated the low end MBP...and added a Touchbar to it. Nothing could be a bigger downgrade to that machine than adding a TB to it. Yuck. Looks like I'm still out until they deliver a MBP without TB and with a non-defective keyboard. My 2014 MBP lumbers on.

Edit: Macbook Air also updated with TrueTone Display and had the price dropped to 1099. No processor/keyboard upgrades. It's like Apple are actively daring people to buy bad computers.

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wow, the 12" really is gone. I mean we knew its days were numbered once the Air got its Retina treatment, I mean it's always been a third wheel. It was only released as an entry to Retina for people who want smaller machines while they waited to be able to release the Retina Air. Shame there's now no smaller MacBook than 13". They need to release a 12" or even 11" Air to fill that gap again.

Not that I'm in that market. I like the idea of a small machine, but I also want the power. So I'm stuck with 15" Pros since there isn't gonna be a 13" Pro with a dGPU any time soon. I mean I loved how super light the 12" was when I played with them in the store. And the 13" is really nice and light. But lightness means I can't have the power so 15" it is.

I guess if you want a MacBook with normal F-keys you have to get an Air now. I really wish they'd just added the TouchBar as a supplement to the normal F-keys. I mean it's not like there isn't a little room above them. At the very least make the left end a physical Esc key, the right end a physical Power key with TouchID and the entire middle the TouchBar area.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a 15" Macbook Pro at a reasonable price, with or without touchbar - i don't care (though i guess there's plenty of nifty shit you can actually do with the TouchBar, so i don't mind it) that has a revised (read: reliable) keyboard.

Actually, i want a 14" 🙈

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I just want a 15" Macbook Pro at a reasonable price, with or without touchbar - i don't care (though i guess there's plenty of nifty shit you can actually do with the TouchBar, so i don't mind it) that has a revised (read: reliable) keyboard.

Actually, i want a 14" 🙈

I'm definitely upgrading to a 15" come next time.. Should have never gone with the 13" the lack of power to drive 4k displays and the screen estate is a big issue for me.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely upgrading to a 15" come next time.. Should have never gone with the 13" the lack of power to drive 4k displays and the screen estate is a big issue for me.
For me it's the latter.

Like, my Late 2012 First gen retina 13inch was deemed "underpowered" at release(!) and it's performing perfectly fine. (Although, those 4K videos shot on my iPhone XS stutter a bit...)

But more screen real estate would be swell