• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Recently quit video games and been on an apple spree with most recently a HomePod ( With Phillips Hue lights), an iPad ( regular but waiting for return to get mini instead), and an Xr. Biggest surprises were the HomePod and enjoying the compatibility with all my devices and the pencil with the ipad

HomePod is an awesome device. its especially convenient for the kids to talk to to grandma through or Completely hands off phone calling and texting while I'm in the kitchen or Living room (my HomePod is in between both)

the sound is fantastic for apple music, and I use it to check weather or news in a snap when needed. Obvious timers for cooking, and the rest of Siri like throwing a reminder down quick, or adding something to my grocery list.

multiuser support and handoff on HomePod will be nice come iOS13.

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
For me it's the latter.

Like, my Late 2012 First gen retina 13inch was deemed "underpowered" at release(!) and it's performing perfectly fine. (Although, those 4K videos shot on my iPhone XS stutter a bit...)

But more screen real estate would be swell

My keyboard is heating up all the time like hell I had to do a fan curve to keep it at around 36% fan speed to have it being around 40-45º... This is a dual core design come on........

Apple no longer sells a MBP without a touch bar or with a physical escape key.

Omg.

Yes I know I'm late...

I'm quite curious to see what comes next in terms of Touch Bar.

Nov 5, 2017
I think it was quite evident when the MacBook Air was announced that the MacBook would be on the chopping block. I always thought the experiment to go with the fanless Core M CPU on the MacBook was an experiment Apple was trying and that it wouldn't be extended into the future...

My hunch proved correct...

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else have trouble loading Twitter on Safari for macOS lately? It's just stuck loading forever and never opens. Tried it in Chrome and it loads fine, but I only use Chrome for work. Clearing cache didn't do anything.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
HomePod is an awesome device. its especially convenient for the kids to talk to to grandma through or Completely hands off phone calling and texting while I'm in the kitchen or Living room (my HomePod is in between both)

the sound is fantastic for apple music, and I use it to check weather or news in a snap when needed. Obvious timers for cooking, and the rest of Siri like throwing a reminder down quick, or adding something to my grocery list.

multiuser support and handoff on HomePod will be nice come iOS13.

Yeah I love it. Sound is great and can't wait for auto music when I come home

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Funny how new MBPs still have models with tiny 128 GB SSD considering current prices. At least they don't offer 4 GB RAM anymore.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Does the new MacBook Air (the one with the True Tone display) has a scissor-switch keyboard?

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly was the point of the 12 inch MacBook? I remember at the time everyone (including myself) was just wanting a retina Air.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly was the point of the 12 inch MacBook? I remember at the time everyone (including myself) was just wanting a retina Air.

my educated take, ARM laptop this is where apple wants to go in terms of design and thermal limits. Intel can't deliver on these chips so this entire line got killed.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Apple going to update the Air twice in less than six months? The refresh that was just announced is probably it for the year.
The refresh ONLY changed the screen to True Tone and the price of storage upgrades. No change to processors or anything else

Don't forget the keyboard, but yeah, it's a pretty minor feature bump.

Apple discontinuing the 12 inch MB apparently and they just updated the low end MBP...and added a Touchbar to it. Nothing could be a bigger downgrade to that machine than adding a TB to it. Yuck. Looks like I'm still out until they deliver a MBP without TB and with a non-defective keyboard. My 2014 MBP lumbers on.

Edit: Macbook Air also updated with TrueTone Display and had the price dropped to 1099. No processor/keyboard upgrades. It's like Apple are actively daring people to buy bad computers.

You get a better product for cheaper. Seems like a solid move. Especially since there aren't any processor upgrades actually out there for them to slap into it...

I'm pretty sure the vocal people about the Touch Bar are not the majority of users, and if they keep it around on the next MacBook Pro that's pretty solid evidence that the vocal group is the minority.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all of the replies on the Pro.

Is a keyboard case a must?

Honestly wish the iPad Air had the Pro design and I'd be fine with that, but I dont want the old iPad design with a home button anymore.

PS: 128gig needs to die across all higher end laptops. From the Surface to the Air just make everything 256 gig base please.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Can files simply vanish from iCloud Drive? I noticed two payment receipts from last month have disappeared. Can't see them in their folder on any device. They aren't in the "recently deleted" option in web iCloud (that for some reason you apparently can only access that way). They are in a recent Time Machine backup however. (And of course I didn't delete them.)

Pretty angsty right now that this might happen to other stuff.

Is there a way to completely backup your iCloud Drive to a physical media short of permanently having everything on your Mac (of course you got to do it once anyway in some way or shape but I mean without all data being permanently stored on the machine)?

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Can files simply vanish from iCloud Drive? I noticed two payment receipts from last month have disappeared. Can't see them in their folder on any device. They aren't in the "recently deleted" option in web iCloud (that for some reason you apparently can only access that way). They are in a recent Time Machine backup however. (And of course I didn't delete them.)

Is there a way to completely backup your iCloud Drive to a physical media short of permanently having everything on your Mac (of course you got to do it once anyway in some way or shape but I mean without all data being permanently stored on the machine)?
Hmmm, can't say that i ever had that happen to me 🤔

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Er... only if you deleted by accident in another device

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody struggling to get files onto an iPad on the iPad OS beta? I've tried both Airdrop and using a memory stick and each time I try to copy files over I get "The operation couldn't be completed. Bad address".

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody struggling to get files onto an iPad on the iPad OS beta? I've tried both Airdrop and using a memory stick and each time I try to copy files over I get "The operation couldn't be completed. Bad address".
Yeah, anything files related is completely borked for me in beta 3 as well, I stopped doing anything in that regard on my iPad for now (kinda have a hunch that's where my aforementioned problem stems from even if it doesn't make much sense).

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, anything files related is completely borked for me in beta 3 as well, I stopped doing anything in that regard on my iPad for now (kinda have a hunch that's where my aforementioned problem stems from even if it doesn't make much sense).
I've actually managed it now, saved it to the iPad itself rather than iCloud Drive and it worked. So seems to be an iCloud Drive problem.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
A question about those butterfly keyboards in new MacBooks. Do keys really get stuck by just letting some dust underneath them? I don't mind short key travel, but would be infuriated if some dust fucked up my typing experience.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they sell silicone cases for the iPhone X anymore? Can't find any in the Apple Store app.

i THINK the camera bump on the XS is a bit bigger than the one on the X, so XS cases should fit the X fine, but not the other way around

iPhone X in a XS case
iphone-x-in-apple-iphone-xs-leather-case.jpg

XS in a X case
maxresdefault.jpg

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A question about those butterfly keyboards in new MacBooks. Do keys really get stuck by just letting some dust underneath them? I don't mind short key travel, but would be infuriated if some dust fucked up my typing experience.

I'd HIGHLY suggest waiting if the rumors are true. No reason to get a butterfly mac if you dont have to.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Its honestly not even worth taking the risk if the rumors are true about a design change. While there is a replacement plan, depending on how long you keep your computer it still wont be enough.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes, especially because Files on the beta is FUCKED.
iCloud.com -> Preferences -> Recover files

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Target has some clearance for iPad Pro 10.5" apple accessories. You can get the gray Smart Cover for 12 bucks and the black sleeve with Pencil holder for $28.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, especially because Files on the beta is FUCKED.
iCloud.com -> Preferences -> Recover files
Thanks, there was some stuff there but mostly just random duplicates that the system created and then deleted while leaving 5 other copies around lol. Yikes. Feel bad for the peeps who are iOS only and don't have a local backup of atleast part of their iCloud. Really need to look into how I can backup the whole thing, ideally including app data. It's kinda crazy there is no obvious way to do this it seems.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, there was some stuff there but mostly just random duplicates that the system created and then deleted while leaving 5 other copies around lol. Yikes. Feel bad for the peeps who are iOS only and don't have a local backup of atleast part of their iCloud. Really need to look into how I can backup the whole thing, ideally including app data. It's kinda crazy there is no obvious way to do this it seems.

You mean me? 😒 I have tons of important shit in my documents, it better not disappear

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
You mean me? 😒 I have tons of important shit in my documents, it better not disappear
Oh, did you sell off your iMac? Damn, I just couldn't do without a desktop OS at all, this situation is just another case in point.

In any case, no idea what happened to these two documents. I wonder if they'll be back after beta 4 hopefully fixes the iCloud issues. As for the dupes, I imagine fetching all files and directories with space and n at the end should work pretty well unless somebody has some pretty shitty file naming scheme going on heh.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, did you sell off your iMac? Damn, I just couldn't do without a desktop OS at all, this situation is just another case in point.

In any case, no idea what happened to these two documents. I wonder if they'll be back after beta 4 hopefully fixes the iCloud issues. As for the dupes, I imagine fetching all files and directories with space and n at the end should work pretty well unless somebody has some pretty shitty file naming scheme going on heh.

I technically still have my iMac but it's getting listed for sale tomorrow.

Steve Troughton-Smith has an encouraging thread regarding all this, hope it's accurate

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Twitter's website only works for me in Safari if I'm not logged in. Been like that for months. Embedded tweets also don't show up properly in posts if I'm logged in.
Yeah I noticed that embedded tweets are borked too, it's really annoying. They worked for me until a few weeks ago, just like Twitter itself. I wonder if it's a problem on Safaris end or it's just Twitter that's changed somehow. At least now I know I'm not the only one.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yikes. Feel bad for the peeps who are iOS only and don't have a local backup of atleast part of their iCloud. Really need to look into how I can backup the whole thing, ideally including app data. It's kinda crazy there is no obvious way to do this it seems.

To clarify, is this only if you installed a beta? I know there have been some iCloud downtime issues in general lately.

TBH, I rely heavily on iCloud and don't have another backup at the moment, mostly just my photo library.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify, is this only if you installed a beta? I know there have been some iCloud downtime issues in general lately.

TBH, I rely heavily on iCloud and don't have another backup at the moment, mostly just my photo library.
Yeah, it's an issue with the iOS 13 beta (perhaps Catalina too, not sure), I haven't heard anyone saying it's a general issue. The issue of duplicate files/folders/seemingly vanished files is caused by the iOS 13 device but spreads to your stable devices via sync.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Geekbench scores for the newly announced entry level MBP with 2 ports:

New 2019 1.4 GHz MacBook Pro Entry Level Unit:
Single Core: 4775
Multi Core: 17086

2019 2.4 GHz model:
Single Core: 4993
Multi Core: 18283

Older entry level MBP (before Touch Bar was added):
Single Core: 4220
Multi Core: 8833

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Geekbench scores for the newly announced entry level MBP with 2 ports:

New 2019 1.4 GHz MacBook Pro Entry Level Unit:
Single Core: 4775
Multi Core: 17086

2.4 GHz model:
Single Core: 4993
Multi Core: 18283

Is that 2.4 figure the old dual core, or the next quad core model up?

Does this one have two fans and exhausts like the others? My biggest issue with the base one isn't the performance, its the relatively hot chassis/keyboard area even with light use

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Is that 2.4 figure the old dual core, or the next quad core model up?

Does this one have two fans and exhausts like the others? My biggest issue with the base one isn't the performance, its the relatively hot chassis/keyboard area even with light use
That's the 2019 quad core model.