• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I had on for a long time but turned it off eventually as I was triggering it accidentally way more often than the times I wanted to use it.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I had on for a long time but turned it off eventually as I was triggering it accidentally way more often than the times I wanted to use it.
Ditto. But I might have to turn it back on when I get an XI or whatever because I use Control Center all the damn time and you can't even access it from the bottom anymore because of the gestures. Not a trade off I wanted to make but whatever.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'd need a much smaller Apple Pencil model if they expect people to use a Pencil with an iPhone. The current Pencils are taller than a XS Max.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I think there's a chance a new Apple Pencil will, probably not the current one. Same tech, different Pencil.

apparently they were having trouble getting the 3D Touch tech and the Pencil tech into the same screen

oh,so an apple Pencil 3. That would make sense. Update them as quick as they can and stay so far ahead of everyone seems Like a strong strat right now if true.

i wouldn't need it tho, unless it was a free update to my 2, or I just need a new phone, I'm with that but a feature to woo me really,

but I would be super happy if it was real in any form because I love the ecosystm aspect and want them to push that even farther

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Finally, got MacBook Pro 13 inch after postpone buying one last year. I choose the entry specs after hearing good feedbacks (upgraded cpu to 2.4ghz and 256 ssd). So far it's well worth but I wish I upgraded RAM to 16gb. Running Docker with Visual Studio is eating a lot of it.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Any legit way to remove scratches from an iPhone screen? My phone being in a sandy pocket has caused a bit of a nightmare!

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, got MacBook Pro 13 inch after postpone buying one last year. I choose the entry specs after hearing good feedbacks (upgraded cpu to 2.4ghz and 256 ssd). So far it's well worth but I wish I upgraded RAM to 16gb. Running Docker with Visual Studio is eating a lot of it.

If you got a 2.4GHz processor, I take it you got the 4-port model?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Any legit way to remove scratches from an iPhone screen? My phone being in a sandy pocket has caused a bit of a nightmare!
A new screen, I'm pretty sure there is no way to "polish" scratches out. You could try a glass protector or one of these liquid nano protections. Maybe the scratches aren't as noticeable anymore then.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
A new screen, I'm pretty sure there is no way to "polish" scratches out. You could try a glass protector or one of these liquid nano protections. Maybe the scratches aren't as noticeable anymore then.
So glad I got a glass protector for my X. I feel a lot more confident putting the phone in my pocket now whereas before I would worry about scruffs all the time.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Glass protectors saved my iPhones multiple times already, I'm not using my phone without one.

Got one with curved corners for my Xr and it's fantastic. With a leather case it's almost unnoticeable

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Coming up on 2 years no with no protector on my X.
There's tiny scratches that are only visible with the screen off and holding it at certain angles. Completely invisible when on though.

Nov 20, 2017
oh,so an apple Pencil 3. That would make sense. Update them as quick as they can and stay so far ahead of everyone seems Like a strong strat right now if true.

i wouldn't need it tho, unless it was a free update to my 2, or I just need a new phone, I'm with that but a feature to woo me really,

but I would be super happy if it was real in any form because I love the ecosystm aspect and want them to push that even farther
I'd love to see some kind of transformation of the Max models into something similar to the Note line. Like an iPhone 11 Pro.

Unfortunately, given how the Note series tends to sell, I can't see Apple bothering.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think I can guess the answer to this, but just in case: if you had a ok but bidget windows laptop, an I-hone 6s, and an iPad mini 2 - and could choose to update one of them to a base MacBook Pro/air, an iPhone XR, or a new iPad/air - which would you choosw?

my initial thinking is iPad - mini 2 wont get iPadOS and is getting slow for browsing and screen is small for Netflix. iPhone 6s probably has a solid extra year in it, and the windows laptop is perfectly usable

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on your needs. Due to the reason working with many emails, presentations and scientific data evaluation I would choose the MacBook Air. The pro books are really potent machines and I don't need them.
If I wouldn't be dependent on the data evaluation I would choose the iPad Pro blindly.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on your needs. Due to the reason working with many emails, presentations and scientific data evaluation I would choose the MacBook Air. The pro books are really potent machines and I don't need them.
If I wouldn't be dependent on the data evaluation I would choose the iPad Pro blindly.

its For my son Going to university. He's always very modest with his needs so will manage with what he has which can make it difficult to find a good birthday/a-level results present for him.

leaning towards iPad. Will last a good few years with a new air, will work As a 'TV' at Uni, and will be enough to Olay football manager touch. He can have my X next year if I upgrade, and the dell inspiron isn't the fastest but it's still reasonable

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Ok how good are the apple folio keyboards? I can get one through a deal for $82 aud instead of like $250 and I'm just wondering if they are good? Do they drain the battery of the iPad ?

Oct 25, 2017
Ok how good are the apple folio keyboards? I can get one through a deal for $82 aud instead of like $250 and I'm just wondering if they are good? Do they drain the battery of the iPad ?
They don't really drain the battery at all. Some people like or don't mind typing on them, while others hate it. Keyboards elicit a lot of personal responses from people.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
They don't really drain the battery at all. Some people like or don't mind typing on them, while others hate it. Keyboards elicit a lot of personal responses from people.

Thanks for the reply. I've recently stopped using my laptop and find myself still kind of wanting a dedicated keyboard. How easy is it to tuck the keyboard away for when I just want to browse?

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Sorry for the questions. Considering going from an 8 plus to an XR. The XR is 326ppi. Will that be noticeable on the slightly bigger screen? Is it a better phone than the 8 plus? Or should I spend a little more and get the XS?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sorry for the questions. Considering going from an 8 plus to an XR. The XR is 326ppi. Will that be noticeable on the slightly bigger screen? Is it a better phone than the 8 plus? Or should I spend a little more and get the XS?
I went from a 7 plus to an Xr. The Xr is a much better phone. It misses the second portrait camera though. Looks like it gets one in the September upgrade.

Other people with different preferences might tell you something else though.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
its For my son Going to university. He's always very modest with his needs so will manage with what he has which can make it difficult to find a good birthday/a-level results present for him.

leaning towards iPad. Will last a good few years with a new air, will work As a 'TV' at Uni, and will be enough to Olay football manager touch. He can have my X next year if I upgrade, and the dell inspiron isn't the fastest but it's still reasonable

how much does he use his phone? i would think that a college student would find the most benefit from a good phone. the jump from a 6s to an XR would be sizable. If the windows laptop is perfectly fine i would think it would cover a lot of bases the macbook or the ipad would cover

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I've recently stopped using my laptop and find myself still kind of wanting a dedicated keyboard. How easy is it to tuck the keyboard away for when I just want to browse?
Fwiw, I love typing on mine. If we're tslking about the 2018 Pro, you can just pull a bit on the iPad and can use it without the folio (that's what I do for browsing and stuff) or just flip it over. The keys are exposed that way but I don't mind it at all

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

the price difference between the 8 Plus and XR is only $50, i always recommend going with the XR between those two models

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
how much does he use his phone? i would think that a college student would find the most benefit from a good phone. the jump from a 6s to an XR would be sizable. If the windows laptop is perfectly fine i would think it would cover a lot of bases the macbook or the ipad would cover

good points, although he's on the iPad more when at home - phone more useful out and about even just for WhatsApp/discord etc. The 'why do students have macs' Thread mind convinced me a Mac would have much better legs though and be less irritating updating etc. But a laptop screen would be big enough to use as a TV for Netflix etc. He does prefer browsing on the iPad for immediacy.

he doesn't start until October so it would wait until the xr2 or whatever. But could be more cost efficient to let him have my X

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just to be clear - do you already have an 8 Plus? If so, I'd probably say just hang on to that until the XR successor comes out in the next month or two.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Installed the current public beta of iPadOS on my 10.5" Pro earlier and I really dig it so far. Love the dark mode, can't wait to have that in my phone too.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting an adaptive (changes between light/dark based on the light in the room) option for dark mode, or will it be a simple on/off slider?

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Do you think there will be a new iPad pro this year? I'm actually thinking of buying but trying to held off that a new version might come out anytime.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think there will be a new iPad pro this year? I'm actually thinking of buying but trying to held off that a new version might come out anytime.
Probably not and either way the next iPad Pro will likely be a minor bump. Spring seems more likely. Don't think we have heard any substantial rumors at all.
If you find a good deal, I'd just go get the 2018 model, it's a treat to use it and iPadOS 13 will be a substantial usability and productivity boost. Wouldn't get it for anywhere near full price of course, its nearly one-year old hardware at this point nonetheless.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Any opinions on the Beats Solo 3 Wireless? My dilemma is paying 450 for an iPad Air from Target or 513 direct from Apple but they come with a pair of Beats Solo 3. And no, I won't be selling the Beats so the money difference won't be made up that way. If I don't like the headphones, I'll just give them to a family member, but I'd prefer to have a good pair of wireless of headphones. I tried to enjoy the AirPods, but they sound incredibly tinny and they were awful for working out with.

Probably not and either way the next iPad Pro will likely be a minor bump. Spring seems more likely. Don't think we have heard any substantial rumors at all.
If you find a good deal, I'd just go get the 2018 model, it's a treat to use it and iPadOS 13 will be a substantial usability and productivity boost. Wouldn't get it for anywhere near full price of course, its nearly one-year old hardware at this point nonetheless.

Agreed with not paying full price. I got one for 599 last week from Best Buy. Returned it yesterday due to hating Face ID on it. It failed more often than it worked and the iPad reset itself more than 5 times in the 4 days I owned it. But they are regularly on sale now. I believe Amazon has the entry level model 11 for 649.99 right now.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm actually looking at buying at Apple store but getting a good deal is pretty much a nill. I guess I'll just look at Bestbuy to get a good deal.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with not paying full price. I got one for 599 last week from Best Buy. Returned it yesterday due to hating Face ID on it. It failed more often than it worked and the iPad reset itself more than 5 times in the 4 days I owned it. But they are regularly on sale now. I believe Amazon has the entry level model 11 for 649.99 right now.

Neither of those things is normal. We have 2 iPad Pros in the house that have never reset themselves.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Neither of those things is normal. We have 2 iPad Pros in the house that have never reset themselves.
I definitely understand the resetting issue not being normal. If I liked the iPad for the price, I would have exchanged it. But Face ID compared to the version on my XR is pretty terrible. And it also doesn't help that the way I hold my iPad blocks the camera constantly. Touch ID is simply better for me and much faster. I also wasn't all that impressed with "smooth scrolling". It was nice, but not 300 dollar price difference nice. I was also disappointed that the stereo speakers in my iPhone XR sound much fuller and clearer than the ones in the iPad.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Any opinions on the Beats Solo 3 Wireless? My dilemma is paying 450 for an iPad Air from Target or 513 direct from Apple but they come with a pair of Beats Solo 3. And no, I won't be selling the Beats so the money difference won't be made up that way. If I don't like the headphones, I'll just give them to a family member, but I'd prefer to have a good pair of wireless of headphones. I tried to enjoy the AirPods, but they sound incredibly tinny and they were awful for working out with.
I've had them since they came out. Good sound and the battery life is excellent, and since they have the W1 chip they pair with the device really easily. Only real criticisms I have are that the carry case is soft rather than a hard shell, and they use micro-USB to charge rather than Lightning like the BeatsX.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I've had them since they came out. Good sound and the battery life is excellent, and since they have the W1 chip they pair with the device really easily. Only real criticisms I have are that the carry case is soft rather than a hard shell, and they use micro-USB to charge rather than Lightning like the BeatsX.
As long as I own a PS4, I'll be fine with micro-USB. I mostly just charge those devices using the USB ports on my PS4. Thanks for the input. Great point about the W1 chip. As someone with an iPhone, MBP, Apple TV, and an iPad the easy switching/pairing will be nice.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I'm used to audiophile grade headphones and I was surprised by Solo 3's sound. Full-bodied sound, elevated bass but not too murky. Post-Apple Beats has come a long way.

I forgot to mention the headband has basically no padding, but you can audition it yourself at an Apple store.
I tried it at Target the other day and as you said, I was surprised by the sound signature of the Solo. It's actually fun sounding without losing the vocals in the process. In stark contrast were the Studio 3s which sounded lifeless to me.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I have the 8 plus. It's hard to hear people when they call me and I'm trying to unlock my phone with Face ID half the time because of my iPad.

But I think I'll stay. Either that or go the XS

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting XR to come down a price tier when XR2 is released? And when will Apple drop iPhone 7/8?