• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I have the 8 plus. It's hard to hear people when they call me and I'm trying to unlock my phone with Face ID half the time because of my iPad.

But I think I'll stay. Either that or go the XS

Wait it out. The screen quality thing on the XR is pretty overblown, but it's at worst the same as what you're used to. Almost completely. May as well wait until September at this point though. If nothing else, maybe XR will be cheaper.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wait it out. The screen quality thing on the XR is pretty overblown, but it's at worst the same as what you're used to. Almost completely. May as well wait until September at this point though. If nothing else, maybe XR will be cheaper.
At least compared to my 7+, the screen is an improvement if you can live with the slightly lower DPI (which is not a problem at all imo)

But it's not only the quality, but the overall experience compared to an old iPhone model.

Nov 20, 2017
At least compared to my 7+, the screen is an improvement if you can live with the slightly lower DPI (which is not a problem at all imo)

But it's not only the quality, but the overall experience compared to an old iPhone model.
I'm interested, as a XS Max owner, what you mean about the overall experience.

I ask because my situation changed and the XS Max might have to be switched out for a cheaper iPhone come September.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I picked up two of the new IKEA Symfonisk speakers over the weekend, primarily to use with AirPlay 2.
  • They were pretty easy to set up, even though I had to install the Sonos app to do so (IKEA markets the speakers as a collaboration with Sonos, so it's not unreasonable they'd use exiting Sonos tech)
  • Once you get them set up, they show up as AirPlay targetss
  • They do not show up as AirPlay sources, like an AppleTV would show up
  • The bookshelf speaker sounds good, but is tinny compared to the lamp speaker
  • Both are a good value for the money ($100USD for the bookshelf, $180USD for the lamp) -- they sound roughly equivalent to a Sonos:One ($200USD)
  • No Alexa/Google Assistant support, which is a plus to me

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I picked up two of the new IKEA Symfonisk speakers over the weekend, primarily to use with AirPlay 2.
  • They were pretty easy to set up, even though I had to install the Sonos app to do so (IKEA markets the speakers as a collaboration with Sonos, so it's not unreasonable they'd use exiting Sonos tech)
  • Both are a good value for the money ($100USD for the bookshelf, $180USD for the lamp) -- they sound roughly equivalent to a Sonos:One ($200USD)
biggest plus for me is, that they just use Sonos, which works great. Thank god they didn't try to invent the wheel again.

Thanks for your impressions, I think about getting the bookshelf one for my kids room, to get my Sonos One back lol

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
IMG_0064.jpg

This is the second time I dropped my Apple Pencil from waist height straight down on it's tip.

Time to find some cheap replacement tips I guess. 4 for 25 Euro is a bit on the steep side there, Apple.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017

what do you mean source vs target? I'm looking at grabbing two lamps for stereo on my tv.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
That new sidecar....does it put the Mac Touch Bar on the bottom of the screen?

so my first MacBook I buy could be without the Touch Bar and still get it on my iPad via SideCar?

oh my fuck, I just took my iPad Pro 11 inch out of its case and by lord this thing feels incredible to hold. Thin and LIGHT.

this otterbox I had on was too much. Hopefully this Zugu case is a lil lighter but I also need to start popping it out of case when I'm chilling on couch and popping it back 8n case when I'm don, even my phone if using it for a good bit from on, these devices are engineered So well to be ignored

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That new sidecar....does it put the Mac Touch Bar on the bottom of the screen?

so my first MacBook I buy could be without the Touch Bar and still get it on my iPad via SideCar?

Yep, Sidecar shows Touch Bar controls on the iPad below the main UI.

That said, I probably wouldn't recommend anybody buy a MacBook without a Touch Bar at this point if only because the Air is barely less expensive and comes with a huge performance compromise compared to the baseline 13" Pro.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yep, Sidecar shows Touch Bar controls on the iPad below the main UI.

That said, I probably wouldn't recommend anybody buy a MacBook without a Touch Bar at this point if only because the Air is barely less expensive and comes with a huge performance compromise compared to the baseline 13" Pro.

Yeah I was thinking more used. Like I kind of want to try to stick to my iPad Pro but learn Mac too. So I kind of just want whatever is cheapest and will run Catalina so I can learn the OS if anything really, this not needing a Touch Bar bc I have the iPad.

So I guess I go look up Catalina requirements and Start perusing kijiji.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone recommend a drawing app that is not procreate? Not having option to always display layer/color etc like desktop app (photoshop) is annoying. There is clip studio paint for ipad that meets my requirement but it requires subscription, which is a big no from me.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So my apple tv siri remote doesnt pair on my apple tv anymore. I charged the hell out of it. Nada. I've done the menu and + simultaneously. Still no good. No response whatsoever. Does it mean its a dud already?

Seeing the price of a remote is quite high. I guess my choice is just use the remote app then?

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
what do you mean source vs target? I'm looking at grabbing two lamps for stereo on my tv.

When you have an AppleTV or HomePod, you can select a song to play from Apple Music or your library. With these Symfonisk speakers, you can't select a song to play -- you can only select it as an output device for something that's already playing a song.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
When you have an AppleTV or HomePod, you can select a song to play from Apple Music or your library. With these Symfonisk speakers, you can't select a song to play -- you can only select it as an output device for something that's already playing a song.
If it's a Sonos speaker you can of course add a streaming service to it and play songs on it without any other device involved. Or did I misunderstand you?

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
If it's a Sonos speaker you can of course add a streaming service to it and play songs on it without any other device involved. Or did I misunderstand you?
I haven't really messed around with the Sonos app, although you can connect Apple Music to it. I'm only talking about using AirPlay 2 (since that's going to probably be my main use case).

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can someone recommend a drawing app that is not procreate? Not having option to always display layer/color etc like desktop app (photoshop) is annoying. There is clip studio paint for ipad that meets my requirement but it requires subscription, which is a big no from me.
Adobe Draw is vector based no?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I haven't really messed around with the Sonos app, although you can connect Apple Music to it. I'm only talking about using AirPlay 2 (since that's going to probably be my main use case).
But you can select a song to play on your Symfonisk speaker, you just have to use the Sonos app. Guess I'm spoiled by Spotify, as you can do just what you want from inside the Spotify app. I guess Apple isn't to interested in that much comfort for use with non Apple products :/

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
IMG_0064.jpg

This is the second time I dropped my Apple Pencil from waist height straight down on it's tip.

Time to find some cheap replacement tips I guess. 4 for 25 Euro is a bit on the steep side there, Apple.
My brother actually managed to snag a Pencil 2 in that condition on the cheap off eBay. Apparently the previous owner didn't know he could change the tip because it otherwise was as new lol. But yeah, the prices are insane. Absolutely ludicrous they don't ship replacement tips with the new pencil any more.

CosmicDreams

Jan 7, 2018
Apple Era! I need help trying to fix a stupid Mac problem I created today. Can you possibly help me with this mistake?

Basically, i'm a musician that noticed some of my synthesizers weren't showing up on my music program today. I called the app's customer service and they recommended I downgrade to High Sierra because Ableton Live 9 (that music program) has issues with Mojave. So I found this video and followed everything step-by-step. It worked and my synthesizers did not show up on High Sierra either. Doh.

So now I reverted back to my iMac's original drive that contained all my original files and Mojave. The problem is... i'm running a SSD 2 TB and after following the steps in that video, I did a "partition" that separated my SSD into 2 separate drives (1 TB per drive). When I deleted the drive that contained High Sierra, Disk Utility still tells me that I have only 1 TB on my SSD now. I tried deleting the drive with High Sierra and it's not deleting.

How can I fix this? Here's a screenshot of my Disk Utility at the moment:

IiDizXA.png

Keep in mind, I am no professional when it comes to Macs but I want my drive to go back to being 2 TB so please help. :(

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What you're looking for is how to merge two partitions. I haven't done on it on a Mac, so I unfortunately can't help, but a quick google search said it's possible right within disk utility.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
So i learned apple sells screen protectors here in canada for 50 bucks, wow i dont think i can spend that.

so where do i go for a good screen protector install?

iPhone X

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So i learned apple sells screen protectors here in canada for 50 bucks, wow i dont think i can spend that.

so where do i go for a good screen protector install?

iPhone X

I would recommend to do it yourself.

- buy a glass protector with an installation frame. The frame is really useful and helps a lot. I'm in Germany, but this is what I have been using for years now.
- for the installation, go into your bathroom and let hot water run in the shower for a while. It has to be steamy in there
- then clean your phone and proceed with the installation. All the steam will lower the chance for dust getting under the glass significantly

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Considering moving some of my typing needs to voice. Any recommendations for macOS dictation? I already have a high quality voice mic and tried using the inbuilt dictation but I need more fine tuned controls (i.e. apparently no way to make a - when I say minus with the native feature and it also spazzes out in safari as it sometimes inserts the sentence twice).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Considering moving some of my typing needs to voice. Any recommendations for macOS dictation? I already have a high quality voice mic and tried using the inbuilt dictation but I need more fine tuned controls (i.e. apparently no way to make a - when I say minus with the native feature and it also spazzes out in safari as it sometimes inserts the sentence twice).

Isn't Catalina getting more robust dictation?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Does iCloud backup do a full backup every night or does it only backup what changed since the last backup?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend to do it yourself.

- buy a glass protector with an installation frame. The frame is really useful and helps a lot. I'm in Germany, but this is what I have been using for years now.
- for the installation, go into your bathroom and let hot water run in the shower for a while. It has to be steamy in there
- then clean your phone and proceed with the installation. All the steam will lower the chance for dust getting under the glass significantly
The shower thing sounds weird at first but I've used it with my past two phones when applying screen protectors and it works like a charm. No visible dust underneath at all.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Is it sad that the Apple product I'm looking the most forward to this fall is a new Hermes band for my Watch?

I was all in on the new 16" MBP to replace my 2016 15" MBP, but with it likely still being 14nm, it seems like I'd be better off waiting another six-eight months for hopefully a 10nm refresh.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Any opinions of the Logitech Crayon? I want a pencil for browser and UI navigation, but I don't want to pay Apples insane price for the Apple Pencil.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Any opinions of the Logitech Crayon? I want a pencil for browser and UI navigation, but I don't want to pay Apples insane price for the Apple Pencil.

Didn't even know there were actual alternatives to the Apple Pencil, but now I'm interested too. I'm THIS close to buying the Pencil (1) and start working on my drawing/sketching skills on my iPad.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Didn't even know there were actual alternatives to the Apple Pencil, but now I'm interested too. I'm THIS close to buying the Pencil (1) and start working on my drawing/sketching skills on my iPad.
After reading that the Crayon works on both the newer Pros and the iPad 2018/Air3/Mini5, I bought one. A much better proposition than having to buy an Apple Pencil 1 and 2.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is looking at buying the most recent iPad mini + Apple Pencil.

She's a high school teacher (also teaching P.E.) and she kinda fell in love with the ease of creating course notes, schematics, workout routines etc. with the Apple Pencil.
Though she doesn't really need a pro for that.

There's currently the education deal to get free beats 3 solo wireless, which are - conveniently - headphones she was eyeing when we originally entered the Apple Store.

I'll just take her iPad Mini 4 as a hand-me down (i'm not sure i could deal with my iPad Air not receiving iOS 13).

Anyone use the Mini 5 as kind of an 'entry level iPad pro'? Any recommendations on a keyboard case and some kind of attachment to keep the ApplePencil attached to the iPad?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is looking at buying the most recent iPad mini + Apple Pencil.

She's a high school teacher (also teaching P.E.) and she kinda fell in love with the ease of creating course notes, schematics, workout routines etc. with the Apple Pencil.
Though she doesn't really need a pro for that.

There's currently the education deal to get free beats 3 solo wireless, which are - conveniently - headphones she was eyeing when we originally entered the Apple Store.

I'll just take her iPad Mini 4 as a hand-me down (i'm not sure i could deal with my iPad Air not receiving iOS 13).

Anyone use the Mini 5 as kind of an 'entry level iPad pro'? Any recommendations on a keyboard case and some kind of attachment to keep the ApplePencil attached to the iPad?

What does she currently have? You say she fell in love with note taking so does the school provide an iPad? Or is she in love with the idea - because she may not like the reality..

Still not reason you shouldn't try a mini 5 for a couple of weeks. 5 seems nicely specced so it should be fast and have a long life. At that point it's about what form factor is preferred