• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend is looking at buying the most recent iPad mini + Apple Pencil.

She's a high school teacher (also teaching P.E.) and she kinda fell in love with the ease of creating course notes, schematics, workout routines etc. with the Apple Pencil.
Though she doesn't really need a pro for that.

There's currently the education deal to get free beats 3 solo wireless, which are - conveniently - headphones she was eyeing when we originally entered the Apple Store.

I'll just take her iPad Mini 4 as a hand-me down (i'm not sure i could deal with my iPad Air not receiving iOS 13).

Anyone use the Mini 5 as kind of an 'entry level iPad pro'? Any recommendations on a keyboard case and some kind of attachment to keep the ApplePencil attached to the iPad?

minI 5 doesn't qualify for the education beats deal. Has to be a Pro or the new Air

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
What does she currently have? You say she fell in love with note taking so does the school provide an iPad? Or is she in love with the idea - because she may not like the reality..

Still not reason you shouldn't try a mini 5 for a couple of weeks. 5 seems nicely specced so it should be fast and have a long life. At that point it's about what form factor is preferred

She has a Mini 4. She's a huge note taker on paper and she does a lot of drawings for gymnastics / workouts (like, stick figures etc.) which she then photographs with her iPhone to convert them to a PDF.

She went through her whole 'workflow' in her head while fiddling around with the GoodNotes app and said the iPad might very well eliminate the whole 'paper trail' in the middle. She'd love to replace her paper binders with a more digital library.

minI 5 doesn't qualify for the education beats deal. Has to be a Pro or the new Air
Oh no! :(

So if she were to get the Beats anyways, the 11" pro is just 100 bucks more expensive than the mini+beats :/

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, she just told me she'd like a BIGGER iPad anyways and wasn't aware there's a device between the (expensive) iPad Pro 11" and the (rather small) Mini.

So, basically, we're going for the 256GB cellular air!
does the Air have proper palm rejection when one handing it like... uhm, like, this.
iu

We're looking at the Logitech Folio and the Smart cover now. The folio has a nifty Apple Pencil holder.

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

ok, looks good. I'll try that.

took the old one off. I have like a hairline crack down the middle of my screen I can't feel But see. Should I run it into Apple as quick as possible or is it something I can wait as long as I can bear without replacing to save money

Last edited:

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
ok, looks good. I'll try that.

how do I take my old one off? It's a glass one too. I've seen hair dryer and duct tape mentioned on google? And how do I apply this new one straight? Going to hit the YouTube up but man this is going to test my adhd to apply lol
It's actually easy to install. They give you an instruction on how to install it but you can check a YT video on how it is done if you are worried.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, she just told me she'd like a BIGGER iPad anyways and wasn't aware there's a device between the (expensive) iPad Pro 11" and the (rather small) Mini.

So, basically, we're going for the 256GB cellular air!
does the Air have proper palm rejection when one handing it like... uhm, like, this.

All of them have good palm rejection, so you're good there.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to something on my Airpods on my way into work. Sat down at the desk and took my airpods out. The music then switched to my speakerphone, blaring what I was listening to in my crowded office.

What did I do wrong? Shouldn't the music pause when I remove the airpods, not switch audio sources?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Bought Procreate for my iPad Pro and hell yes I'm buying a Pencil for this thing asap. The app is amazing.

Really wish I had the new 12" iPad right now, but it's hard to justify getting one since my 10.5" Pro is still in perfect condition.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
My iPad Pro keyboard case hasn't held up well at all and has a weird wrinkle texture, is it even worth seeing if Apple will replace it?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I was listening to something on my Airpods on my way into work. Sat down at the desk and took my airpods out. The music then switched to my speakerphone, blaring what I was listening to in my crowded office.

What did I do wrong? Shouldn't the music pause when I remove the airpods, not switch audio sources?

Maybe you touched play? Or it bugged out?

Anytime I take an AirPod out that auto-pause feature happens. I don't think that can be turned off?

I like that dual one. We have a shelf just above And behind our heads in bed so that would charge our phones at night and her watch. I've just found I want chargers everywhere anymore and if I can keep phones charged the iPad and watch die it's no big deal.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ever since the last update my Apple Watch Series 4 dies so much faster. I used to get two days out of a single charge. I'd charge it at night one day, it would make it through the night, the next day, then next night and the day after that before I have to charge it again.

Now it loses 35%+ overnight and barely makes it to the end of the next day.

It's not even 9 months old. It never did this before and all I can think of is its the latest update. I've turned off a bunch of stuff, turned off background apps completely, haven't installed any new apps, don't have anything that I really use besides the Watch itself, so I don't know what would cause it besides an update.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ever since the last update my Apple Watch Series 4 dies so much faster. I used to get two days out of a single charge. I'd charge it at night one day, it would make it through the night, the next day, then next night and the day after that before I have to charge it again.

It's not even 9 months old. It never did this before and all I can think of is its the latest update. I've turned off a bunch of stuff, turned off background apps completely, haven't installed any new apps, don't have anything that I really use besides the Watch itself, so I don't know what would cause it besides an update.

you on the iOS 13 beta? Because that's an issue with the beta right now, even if your watch is on the release track

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The second Apple makes an iPad with an OLED screen is when I think I'll jump on a new one (assuming it's in-line with current iPad pricing and not obscenely expensive).
Currently only have a 16gb iPad Mini 2 which I barely use. It's barely enough storage to do anything with and the screen looks so washed out compared to just about every more modern device I own.

I know Apple's LCDs are still good, but I'm just too used to OLEDs at this point, and the XS Max's screen was one of the best screens I've ever used when I still owned it.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
In the new AppleTV app on OSX there is a sort as field, but it is not editable. Anyone know if that ist just temporary? Would be great to finally order movies the way one wants rather than strict alphabetically.

SKtUhK7.png

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, my iPhone is on the beta but my watch is not. How would the watch be affected by the iPhone's OS?

there some issue with the connectivity where the Watch is draining wayyyyy more power than it should be. I think it's not talking through Bluetooth as efficiently as it should.

trust me, it's a real thing. It's happening to me (phone is on beta, Watch is not) and it's a top complaint on the iOS beta subreddit. You're not alone, hardware-wise your Watch is fine

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

there some issue with the connectivity where the Watch is draining wayyyyy more power than it should be. I think it's not talking through Bluetooth as efficiently as it should.

trust me, it's a real thing. It's happening to me (phone is on beta, Watch is not) and it's a top complaint on the iOS beta subreddit. You're not alone, hardware-wise your Watch is fine

this week's iOS beta update seeeeems to have fixed it for me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The second Apple makes an iPad with an OLED screen is when I think I'll jump on a new one (assuming it's in-line with current iPad pricing and not obscenely expensive).
Currently only have a 16gb iPad Mini 2 which I barely use. It's barely enough storage to do anything with and the screen looks so washed out compared to just about every more modern device I own.

I know Apple's LCDs are still good, but I'm just too used to OLEDs at this point, and the XS Max's screen was one of the best screens I've ever used when I still owned it.

'maybe you should take a look at the pros. The screens are fantastic. If you think you'll get utility out of a tablet you're just causing yourself pain sticking with a mini 2 (and it's EoL for os updates - no iPadOS for it)

''edit what's with the damn apostrophes and speech marks on the beta when I press to start typing??

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

this week's iOS beta update seeeeems to have fixed it for me.
I updated to the latest iOS beta yesterday and last night my watch only drained to 92% instead of ~60%. Thank goodness. By now it would have been down to the 40s but it's still at 85%. Glad that was fixed.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just encountered a similar issue to what somebody reported earlier. I was watching something on my Apple TV via AirPods, took them out, and instead of pausing, the content continued blaring through my TV speakers. 🤔

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So a long time ago I set up Family Sharing from my dad's Apple ID, tying it to my Apple ID. I want to disband the Family Sharing now for various reasons, but it says I should do it from the settings on my Mac or iOS device. Is there any other way to disband it? My dad doesn't use that Apple ID anymore, so none of our devices are signed in with that one and it would be a pain to sign out of iCloud on a device just to sign in the old one for this, the restore the correct one back again. Can Apple support do it?

EDIT: The agent said I had to do it myself lol

Last edited:

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why the normal user would ever want to use a pencil with a phone, really. But I don't think that Apple can push prices anymore, people buy Xr's most for a reason.
I mean, a "Pro" iPhone certainly wouldn't be the base model meant for the average buyer, so I guess Xs and Xr successors will remain the same price and they could perhaps rebrand the Xs Max (which frankly didn't have any differentiating features at all) successor to "Pro" with a price hike. Pencil support would only make sense at that size and larger anyway. Purely speculation though, who knows if it will even be renamed. The account has a good track record however and is followed by several high profile leakers/data miners 🤷‍♂️

Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible for an Apple TV 4K to be switching my TV off during use?

Earlier this week the TV switched off but I can't remember what was being watched at the time. However last night I was watching on the Apple TV and the TV must have turned off 10+ times within two hours. Later on I clicked to Netflix which is built into the TV and that seemed fine although it was only for 10-15 mins.

I was wondering if it's a CEC issue maybe?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I mean, a "Pro" iPhone certainly wouldn't be the base model meant for the average buyer, so I guess Xs and Xr successors will remain the same price and they could perhaps rebrand the Xs Max (which frankly didn't have any differentiating features at all) successor to "Pro" with a price hike. Pencil support would only make sense at that size and larger anyway. Purely speculation though, who knows if it will even be renamed. The account has a good track record however and is followed by several high profile leakers/data miners 🤷‍♂️
I really hope they don't do that. The Xr is already expensive. The Xs is IMO too expensive (that's why I got an Xr) and now another line of phones on top of that? I don't know if pen support on a phone justifies that. My guess is that they'll get rid of 3D Touch and can add the pen tech that does not work with it if I remember correctly. That would make the most sense, right?

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have an iphone and an ipad but a PC and a Samsung TV.

What is the benefit of an Apple TV to me? I'm in Australia if that helps.

It feels like it's just a fancy Chromecast at the moment? Am I getting this really wrong :/

Also how are the laptops Apple put out with games these days? if I wanted to play some (non taxing) games from my steam account do they just 'work' now or is it still a case by case if they've been converted over?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Some games are ported to Mac, most of them run better on Windows. The steam store page should tell you which platforms are supported.
Depending on the game you best bet is a MacBook Pro with an AMD dGPU, like the 560 or Vega 20. But it makes no sense too pay for these machines to play some games imo, I would spend my money on a console instead. Or an iPad Pro which has some fantastic games, too

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some games are ported to Mac, most of them run better on Windows. The steam store page should tell you which platforms are supported.
Depending on the game you best bet is a MacBook Pro with an AMD dGPU, like the 560 or Vega 20. But it makes no sense too pay for these machines to play some games imo, I would spend my money on a console instead. Or an iPad Pro which has some fantastic games, too

Oh definitely, it's more I'm looking at next year getting a laptop for work on the go, and I'd like it to work well with my phone and ipad. But being able to play some old strategy or rpg game from my steam collection would be a slight bonus.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You can always run windows with Bootcamp so that should not be a problem. Especially older games are only rarely available for MacOS. I don't know how well the integrated intel GPUs perform on the other MacBooks though, the 15" pro should be more than fine for old games

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone use a particular case for their iPad Pro Gen 3? Been thinking of getting one but I'm afraid of the bending issue. I may end up waiting for gen 4 but there's no telling if that will be any better in that regard.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
"The tweet comes from a mystery account named CoinX, which has accurately leaked several details about upcoming Apple products over the past year, including the names of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR before anyone else, the removal of the headphone jack on 2018 iPad Pro models, and much more."

Oct 25, 2017
I am still using my 6S Plus and I don't know if this update is going to get me to get a new phone. I'm running iOS 13 beta and it's perfectly fine.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I am still using my 6S Plus and I don't know if this update is going to get me to get a new phone. I'm running iOS 13 beta and it's perfectly fine.
My brother is also using a 6S and perfectly fine holding out for the 2020 iPhone. All rumors point to it being a big jump, so really, might as well wait if you don't feel any urge.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. If this years phone has 5G I might dive in, otherwise I'll wait for next year. As I only plan on upgrading every 3+ years it makes sense to future proof as much as possible.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is struggling with Apple Music. I'm an album guy, will choose one and listen to it. She wants it to function like a radio station but hasn't been satisfied with the stuff she's getting via their "radio" tab.

Is there a better way to do this? So won't be bothered to make her own playlist.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: I could have sworn I had heard of a utility that allows for OS X-like keyboard commands to get extended characters in windows. Like option-e for accent, etc. anyone know the name of it?

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is struggling with Apple Music. I'm an album guy, will choose one and listen to it. She wants it to function like a radio station but hasn't been satisfied with the stuff she's getting via their "radio" tab.

Is there a better way to do this? So won't be bothered to make her own playlist.

When you search a band if you scroll down it'll show you playlists that include them. If I want something like radio that's what I do I almost never use the actual radio stations.

If she just wants the one band playing random songs you just add every album to library and then click shuffle instead of selecting an album and it'll shuffle every album together into one playlist.

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna share that I love iPhone XR. Last iPhone I had was 5s and I came from OG Pixel. I'm loving how fast and integrated everything is, how strong the battery is, the size is just right s It just feels like this is what a phone should function.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Do none of the playlists made by the editors do anything for her? Based on genre and mood and whatnot? Each has at least 50 songs and gets updated weekly so it can function sort of like a station

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Do none of the playlists made by the editors do anything for her? Based on genre and mood and whatnot? Each has at least 50 songs and gets updated weekly so it can function sort of like a station

Nah she's high maintenance when it comes to stuff like this. I don't use it in the same way at all so it antagonizes her that the go-to Apple/tech person has no idea WTF.