• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone here getting the Apple credit card?

Also , I love my Sony over ears and was thinking of getting the in-ears but I think I like the W1 chip or whatever and rather get the powerbeats pro whenever they go on sale.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is anyone here getting the Apple credit card?
My reply from the other thread:

I'm intrigued about this not just as an Apple user but because of how it works with the stuff I already have. Mainly how it tracks and displays all the info about what I'm buying. And that gradient thing is really cool too. Where each vendor gets a different color and the gradient changes as you purchase more stuff.

MKBHD explains it here:

So basically, yeah I want it. I kinda wanna replace the card I have with it. I'll be doing research first of course but I think this might be the next logical step.

Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
Nah she's high maintenance when it comes to stuff like this. I don't use it in the same way at all so it antagonizes her that the go-to Apple/tech person has no idea WTF.

she can start a radio station based on an artist or song. I hear it's just okay. Wish it was more like Pandora where you can add multiple artists to a radio station.

has she tried playing her own station? If she doesn't see it in the radio tab, just ask Siri to play something you'd like. Plays a custom used station based in music they've listened to or liked.

Oct 27, 2017
So what's better for coding on Mac OS? Sublime or ATOM or VS Code?
Some others will probably chime in with better answers but I'll just say that I prefer the way VSC handles extensions and it generally feels more accessible / easier to make it into what I want. I think most would have said Sublime was better a while back but VSC has done a lot to catch up. Both are well supported so you're golden regardless of which you go for.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

I'm intrigued about this not just as an Apple user but because of how it works with the stuff I already have. Mainly how it tracks and displays all the info about what I'm buying. And that gradient thing is really cool too. Where each vendor gets a different color and the gradient changes as you purchase more stuff.

MKBHD explains it here:

So basically, yeah I want it. I kinda wanna replace the card I have with it. I'll be doing research first of course but I think this might be the next logical step.
That stuff is neat and all but to me not worth the greater cash back (or points) offered by other cards. I'm the type that loves to maximize rewards though and all the cash back categories I can easily beat or at least match with my current set of cards.

If you want to do the charts/budgeting, Mint can do all of that as well.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Does Mint do all of the tracking/charting automatically or do you need to manually input each purchase?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Does Mint do all of the tracking/charting automatically or do you need to manually input each purchase?

Automatic.
It's worth it for me. I have years worth of transactions and has been a lifesaver a few times to find things I've needed proof of payment in the past for.

But don't you need to give your bank login credentials on them?

Yes, and the banks work with them to support their api. When I log into my Chase account I can see Mint as a registered provider on there. I can see that being a point of concern but it's been great for me for many, many years now.

Even works with my small credit union.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
But don't you need to give your bank login credentials on them?
Yeah but it's secure. Mint is made by intuit. It's a major company.

The issue is some companies and providers have dropped Mint support lately because they don't want to deal with the regulations and such of allowing 3rd party access to financial info.

But most major providers still support it so it's worth a look.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! It seems like ATOM feels slow, and VS code does not even tough it's also electron.
Sublime is not electron, but it doesn't feel a lot faster because packages load in Java.

Is that right?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm always interested in new code editors, but I think it's a really tough job to compete with the existing ones for todays web development

Oct 25, 2017

MKBHD explains it here:

If it had better rewards I could see using it as my main card for that reason. As is I'm switching to a new Visa from my bank because it's the easiest integration with my bank, and I get a minimum of 2.25X rewards on my travel card and 3.5% cash back on select categories, all with no yearly fees. The Apple Card is really only useful for Apple purchases, and if it doesn't have extended warranty options like the Visas I'm not sure if it ultimately makes sense to try and save a couple bucks.

(I also am a masochist and manually tabulate my spending via Excel and an app on my phone anyhow.)

For people who don't have cards and are deep in the Apple ecosystem, it's great, for pretty much everyone else it should really only be a supplement at best.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I want to buy a cheap MacBook. My first one.

all I want is for it to not run as slow as a turd,and run the newest OS this fall, and Sidecar for my iPad Pro.

lole all I really want is the MacBook experience, but I don't care if it's 10 years old. I just want to learn how to use the OS. Think of it as a device for me to learn Mac on and than throw to my kids and get my own for me and the wife.

where do I start to even google.

macOS Catalina - Apple

i see it lists what systems will work on at the bottom, that's a start

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Current Sidecar compatibility:

iMac 27″ (Late 2015) or newer
MacBook Pro (2016) or newer
mac Mini (2018)
Mac Pro (2019)
MacBook Air (2018) or newer
MacBook (Early 2016) or newer
iMac Pro (2017) or newer

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

all I want is for it to not run as slow as a turd,and run the newest OS this fall, and Sidecar for my iPad Pro.

lole all I really want is the MacBook experience, but I don't care if it's 10 years old. I just want to learn how to use the OS. Think of it as a device for me to learn Mac on and than throw to my kids and get my own for me and the wife.

Here's a list from the internet of the macs that will run the newest OS Catalina. If you want a macbook, expect to be spending at least $700 probably. Even an old 2011 macbook pro like mine still go for over $200, and it will only run up to High Sierra. You could probably save money and get an imac or mac mini, but then you don't get a laptop like it seems you want.

Deleted my list because the persons above me is probably more accurate since you mentioned sidecar.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

mac Mini (2018)
Mac Pro (2019)
iMac Pro (2017) or newer

Is there some hardware in these machines that makes sidecar easier to run that is no in the next oldest machine in each category?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

mac Mini (2018)
Mac Pro (2019)
iMac Pro (2017) or newer

ok this is legit what I needed, and by looking at that list cheapest way for me to to get the trackpad MacBook experience with latest OS and Sidecar a 2016 MacBook is what I want.

Ok, I'm seeing them on Kijiji with warranty, must mean Apple Care? I was going to back out of the must have SideCar stipulation to go to an older cheaper model, but I'm guessing having warranty on this thing is well worth it, huh. SO thats looking like an easy grand here in canada, but i bet that drops when they reveal new MacBooks a month from now huh

on second thought, older one without sidecar first, than sidecar one few months down the line when i find a good deal

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

macOS Catalina - Apple

i see it lists what systems will work on at the bottom, that's a start

I'd suggest not getting the MacBook, as that falls into "feeling slow as a turd" if you do anything beyond basic web browsing on it.

If you want a good machine, I'd recommend the current MacBook Airs. They're $999 with a student discount or regularly on price for that much, they've got more reliable keyboards that have an extended warranty program for piece of mind, and it's a light machine that's still decently speedy and should last you much longer than the MacBooks. You could always also get the previous-gun model if you want since the differences are negligible and it'll be a little cheaper.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'd suggest not getting the MacBook, as that falls into "feeling slow as a turd" if you do anything beyond basic web browsing on it.

If you want a good machine, I'd recommend the current MacBook Airs. They're $999 with a student discount or regularly on price for that much, they've got more reliable keyboards that have an extended warranty program for piece of mind, and it's a light machine that's still decently speedy and should last you much longer than the MacBooks. You could always also get the previous-gun model if you want since the differences are negligible and it'll be a little cheaper.

honestly all I want this for is to learn the OS, the basic apps like notes, reminders, I've never even really used a track pad in my life, went from on pc to iPad,

i can get a refurbished air from Apple starting at a grand, but I don't have that kind of money right now

MacBook Air - 13" 2013 | Laptops | London | Kijiji

that will run the new OS and be like a grand cheaper if I can maybe offer 300,
than maybe get A new one for us and give the kids this one to just mess with and probably break

Oct 27, 2017
Just got an iPhone XR, I had a 6S+ back in the day, and two dead android phones later (one was completely my fault tho), I'm back.

I love it so far, everything is so snappy!

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
My AirPods (first gen) batteries are getting shorter and shorter and I'm torn between getting the 2nd gen or getting the Powerbeats pro. Anyone have either and can chime in if the upgrade is worth it?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'sucks ass' is hyperbole if not outright bullshit. In any case, Glad you're enjoying it NarohDethan , it's a sizeable jump from the 6S too.

As someone that moved from a Pixel 3 to an iPhone XR, the XR can't touch the Pixel. It doesn't "suck ass", but the Pixel blows it away.

At least iPhone is still the market leader in video recording.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
My AirPods (first gen) batteries are getting shorter and shorter and I'm torn between getting the 2nd gen or getting the Powerbeats pro. Anyone have either and can chime in if the upgrade is worth it?
I'd honestly wait at least until the September event if you want to buy new AirPods. We had multiple reports of a new refresh coming this year iirc (since 2nd Gen AirPods were delayed for months due to the airpower fiasco). Now that the wireless market has some competitors, I don't think it's far fetched to think they'd want to stay ahead of the curve.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that moved from a Pixel 3 to an iPhone XR, the XR can't touch the Pixel. It doesn't "suck ass", but the Pixel blows it away.

An often overlooked quality. Like, Google's camera does some fascinating voodoo, especially in difficult shooting conditions; but the videos taken by the XR and the XS are simply amazing.

Like, "Night Mode" (?) is a super cool feature, but when do i ever take low-light photos in a 'hold your camera super still' kind of way. And how often do i take videos in good to decent conditions. I'd rather have a camera that outperforms others in those 'normal' situations than one that does those niche cases really really well.

Of course, i'd love for Apple to improve their Camera algorithms towards the quality of Google's.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

Which was my point. Pixel is a great, but the XR is still a very good camera. In any case, It would be great if upcoming iPhones make some leaps in the camera dept.

And yes, iPhone video is outstanding.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

I have been using a pair of OG AirPods since launch month. I used them every day, and loved them. I bought a pair of powerbeats this summer due to the same battery fatigue. IMO the PowerBeats Pro are better in every way except case size. The bigger case doesn't bother me because I either put it in my bag or I leave it at home, I never try to bring the big beats case in my pocket. It is easy enough to put turn off the PowerBeats with the activity button, or take them off and put them in your pocket. The PowerBeats Pro sound better, they have a much longer battery, they have volume buttons and an activity button on each ear, they have different size ear tips to choose from. They come in black (and other colors), and they have a hook around your ear. The only question is if they feel comfortable in your ear, they are slightly bigger so it is not 100% guaranteed that you will like how they feel in your ear. If you don't like how they feel then you may not want to buy them. Otherwise to me it was a no brainer if your willing to spend that kind of money on earphones.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I have been using a pair of OG AirPods since launch month. I used them every day, and loved them. I bought a pair of powerbeats this summer due to the same battery fatigue. IMO the PowerBeats Pro are better in every way except case size. The bigger case doesn't bother me because I either put it in my bag or I leave it at home, I never try to bring the big beats case in my pocket. It is easy enough to put turn off the PowerBeats with the activity button, or take them off and put them in your pocket. The PowerBeats Pro sound better, they have a much longer battery, they have volume buttons and an activity button on each ear, they have different size ear tips to choose from. They come in black (and other colors), and they have a hook around your ear. The only question is if they feel comfortable in your ear, they are slightly bigger so it is not 100% guaranteed that you will like how they feel in your ear. If you don't like how they feel then you may not want to buy them. Otherwise to me it was a no brainer if your willing to spend that kind of money on earphones.

Do the power beats pro have the same features of AirPods like removing one to pause music, hey Siri, etc?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah every thing I've seen has said power beats are the real deal, aside from any convenience AirPods might offer.

i just don't care that much so I will prob always buy the cheaper AirPods