• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah every thing I've seen has said power beats are the real deal, aside from any convenience AirPods might offer.

i just don't care that much so I will prob always buy the cheaper AirPods
Yeah, they're definitely way less portable than AirPods so if that's important go for those. I pretty much always have a suitable means of carrying the larger case so it's not a problem.

Oct 29, 2017
I was so close to buying the PowerBeat Pro's but I love the smallness of the AirPod case and how portable it is. I don't generally carry a bag or anything around with me and the Pro case would be huge in my pockets.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If your "needs" are having the most convenient pair of earphones ever made, they're priced reasonably.

Bleh. I just barely use headphones as it is, but then I think that maybe having a more convenient pair would have me using them more. I like to listen to Podcasts while cooking, and right now I just prop my phone up in an open cabinet and listen to it via the speaker...maybe using airpods would be a better experience.

Plus I bought a LTE-enabled watch a few months back with intentions of leaving my phone home more often, but I never enabled LTE as I didn't want to Dick Tracy it all the time. Maybe this is my time.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I definitely use headphones more since getting the airpods. Just so convenient around the house.

I listen to podcasts while doing the dishes. No longer miss things as I was just using a speaker before and either bothering others or missing things because of misc noise.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just found a coupon in my e-mail for 11% back in rewards on a single Best Buy purchase, so I'd be getting back roughly $15 to put towards whatever, effectively making them $130 in the end.

Hmm.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Apple would update the TV app to properly bring in family purchases. It's a convenient app to use but then you have to go out to the iTunes Store app to find things other members of the family bought. By 'other members of the family' I mean me and my kids couldn't find it

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish Apple would update the TV app to properly bring in family purchases. It's a convenient app to use but then you have to go out to the iTunes Store app to find things other members of the family bought. By 'other members of the family' I mean me and my kids couldn't find it

would be a natural extension once tvOS 13 comes out with multiple profiles. "See purchases from other profiles" would be a cool thing to see under the Library tab

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
100%
I've even re bought movies to avoid the hassle.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Just curious, but is a 64gb 10.5 ipad pro with keyboard worth much? Mine just sits and collects dust and I'd rather use the money from selling it to fund a new macbook. Just wondering if its even worth selling. I know ios13 is supposed to add a bunch of features, but I still find myself using my 2011 macbook pro over the ipad.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, but is a 64gb 10.5 ipad pro with keyboard worth much? Mine just sits and collects dust and I'd rather use the money from selling it to fund a new macbook. Just wondering if its even worth selling. I know ios13 is supposed to add a bunch of features, but I still find myself using my 2011 macbook pro over the ipad.

Could probably get $450 or so for it in good condition.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What wireless charger do you use?
I use an AirPower knockoff sort of like this from AliExpress
eurpmask-dual-wireless-charger-02.jpg

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Bleh. I just barely use headphones as it is, but then I think that maybe having a more convenient pair would have me using them more. I like to listen to Podcasts while cooking, and right now I just prop my phone up in an open cabinet and listen to it via the speaker...maybe using airpods would be a better experience.

Plus I bought a LTE-enabled watch a few months back with intentions of leaving my phone home more often, but I never enabled LTE as I didn't want to Dick Tracy it all the time. Maybe this is my time.

I basically have one AirPod in my ear at all times, listening to podcasts. Both, at work and at home.
The fact that you can move around your place freely and don't need to bring your phone (or touch it to pause or pick up a call - which is great when baking or doing the dishes)
Also, living with my girlfriend, it's great having one of them in, because - while i'm listening to my podcast content, i'm not bothering her; but i'm also not wearing a pair of headphones, i.e. i'll still hear whatever she says.

Also, regarding the waterproofness of the beats.
I've machine-washed one of my AirPods (left it in the pocket of my running shorts), and just 2 days ago, i ran through the absolutely pouring rain for 30 minutes. (both AirPods in my ears AND the charging case on my belt). And they're absolutely fine.
Of course, those are just anecdotal evidence. But the AirPods are among those devices that are just not waterproof enough to be declared as such, but definitely reasonably water- and sweatproof by design.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak for iOS, but iPadOS ist still pretty borked in certain aspects, especially file providers. I imagine its the same in that regard on iOS.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Did Catalina fixed the gmail disconnection problem? Mojave broke Mail app in one update and it's still not fixed.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of, the most recent beta is the first time all cycle where SMB servers in the files app actually worked for me
They "worked" for me before fwiw. And by work I mean that I could connect to them, view the top level folder structure and then it broke. Still seem to randomly work and then break for me in the recent build sadly.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Did Catalina fixed the gmail disconnection problem? Mojave broke Mail app in one update and it's still not fixed.

What's the issue? Gmail works fine for me on Mojave.

I remember there was an old problem a long time ago with gmail on Mojave with Apple Mail and I had to check my mail using chrome. But google fixed it server side after a few days, and it required a full disconnect account and reconnect to fix.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
What's the issue? Gmail works fine for me on Mojave.

I remember there was an old problem a long time ago with gmail on Mojave with Apple Mail and I had to check my mail using chrome. But google fixed it server side after a few days, and it required a full disconnect account and reconnect to fix.
The Mail app will pop up itself because gmail periodically lose connection for a second each time.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just switching over to Apple Music from Spotify because I bought a HomePod (the sound is amazing!).

Is there a way to migrate my Spotify 'Liked Songs' to the Apple Music app? There seem to be a lot third party options but they apparently only migrate custom playlists but not liked songs...

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just switching over to Apple Music from Spotify because I bought a HomePod (the sound is amazing!).

Is there a way to migrate my Spotify 'Liked Songs' to the Apple Music app? There seem to be a lot third party options but they apparently only migrate custom playlists but not liked songs...
can you maybe create a playlist from your liked songs within spotify? and then have it transfer that playlist, too?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Pertin

I'm so bummed I ended up with a pair of discrete speakers over a Homepod, bleh. If I just waited one more month.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Hmm I did it manually but didn't have a lot of songs in Spotify. Don't know how it'd be possible. I love HomePod so enjoy!

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
can you maybe create a playlist from your liked songs within spotify? and then have it transfer that playlist, too?
Hmm I did it manually but didn't have a lot of songs in Spotify. Don't know how it'd be possible. I love HomePod so enjoy!

Worked like a charm! Thanks Fliesen!

That turned out to be pretty easy:

Go into your liked song
CRTL+A, right click, create new playlist
SongShift app (free)
Connect both music services
Transfer playlist

Out of 441 songs it couldn't find around 20 but that's fine.

Now I can finally cancel my Spotify subscription.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Worked like a charm! Thanks Fliesen!

That turned out to be pretty easy:

Go into your liked song
CRTL+A, right click, create new playlist
SongShift app (free)
Connect both music services
Transfer playlist

Out of 441 songs it couldn't find around 20 but that's fine.

Now I can finally cancel my Spotify subscription.
Oh nice! Enjoy

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I vastly prefer AppleMusic, but i really really miss the quality and quantity of community created playlists.

Like, there's a music festival i'm going to this week, and on Spofity, you'd have regular users creating multiple playlists with songs by all the artists playing at the Festival. Which is great for listening to while pre-gaming. Especially given the fact that i'm super out of touch with regards to what 'young folks' are listening to nowadays (i.e. 95% of the Lineup)

Meanwhile, on AppleMusic? Nada.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Are App Store / TestFlight downloads unusably slow for anyone else right now (Germany)? It's not my connection, speed test results are as usual and video streaming etc is fine.

Oct 27, 2017
I vastly prefer AppleMusic, but i really really miss the quality and quantity of community created playlists.

Like, there's a music festival i'm going to this week, and on Spofity, you'd have regular users creating multiple playlists with songs by all the artists playing at the Festival. Which is great for listening to while pre-gaming. Especially given the fact that i'm super out of touch with regards to what 'young folks' are listening to nowadays (i.e. 95% of the Lineup)

Meanwhile, on AppleMusic? Nada.
I have the three month trial on my iPhone purchase. Still need the Airpods tho

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I can't switch the ERA theme when I'm using my phone (iPhone X) in portrait mode. The setting is just above the screen's bottom edge, and tapping it shows Safari's navigation bar instead.. which covers the setting. So I have to rotate my phone to landscape. Annoying.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
I can't switch the ERA theme when I'm using my phone (iPhone X) in portrait mode. The setting is just above the screen's bottom edge, and tapping it shows Safari's navigation bar instead.. which covers the setting. So I have to rotate my phone to landscape. Annoying.
Scroll all the way down in portrait mode and change it that way, no drop down menu needed.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Has anyone out there gotten a Wii U Pro Controller working with macOS or even Steam? Everything I'm finding online is five years old and referencing software that is seemingly broken with newer macOS version. I'm at this crummy crossroads where no device will seemingly accomplish everything.

I own a Wii U Pro Controller, which doesn't operate with my Switch unless I buy extra hardware, but does not work with macOS and obviously won't work with iOS13/tvOS.

I can buy a Switch Pro Controller, which seemingly has full compatibility with Steam on macOS and will function with the Switch obviously, but won't work with iOS13/tvOS.

I can buy a Xbox One Controller, which seemingly will work perfectly with Steam on macOS and will work with iOS13 but won't function with my Switch unless I buy extra hardware.

Basically the Switch Pro Controller is the most appealing on the surface, but I'm perfectly fine with using Joy-Cons on my Switch and don't really want or need a Pro Controller so I'd be using it just for macOS, and even then I honestly don't know how often that would be. Lack of tvOS support means that I can't use Steam Link which is the big selling point for me in the first place.

I can buy a Xbox One Controller, but as aforementioned, I likely won't use it with my mac or iOS all that much, just something to dink around with from time to time. Otherwise it's pretty much useless for me since I can't use it with my Switch.

The Wii U Pro Controller apparently doesn't work with anything.

So annoying.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
maximumzero i was able to get my Wii U pro controller to work with my Mac mini via the May flash adapter that I'd have to dig into my Amazon history to find. At the time when I searched for solutions to get my Wii U Pro controller recognized, that was my only option.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
maximumzero i was able to get my Wii U pro controller to work with my Mac mini via the May flash adapter that I'd have to dig into my Amazon history to find. At the time when I searched for solutions to get my Wii U Pro controller recognized, that was my only option.

I was hoping to be able to get this going without any extra purchases, but it's looking like it may be a requirement.