• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having this weird issue on my Mac for a few days where at some point the dock says an app didn't respond anymore – when in fact it works just fine. It's just the dock that's unable to pull up the window (ergo if I minimize a window, I can't get it back, if I just move focus to another window it's fine, can click back to it). Happens with Finder but other apps too. Not sure how to fix it, reboot didn't work. Killing the dock via command line alleviates the problem but not permanently.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Having a clean out and it's time for my OG time capsule to buy the dust. Just been sitting in it's box for probably 2 years unused now. Anything I need to do to ensure it's wiped before I dispose of it?

Edit - wow an iOS airport utility app. Didn't expect that. Connected via Ethernet just fine. Is it worth trying to recycle this at all?

Also bought a USB C hub which I'm hoping will be a single plug for my MBP and my iPad for power/monitor/USB.

Last edited:

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
does the Genius Bar have a way to test the battery on Apple Watch? battery on my series 4 has been shite for about a month, wiped it, re paired it etc. no better.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does the Genius Bar have a way to test the battery on Apple Watch? battery on my series 4 has been shite for about a month, wiped it, re paired it etc. no better.

Are you on the iOS 13 beta? Some of the betas tanked the battery life for paired Watches. Latest beta should be good in my experience, though, if you haven't updated in a few weeks.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Like others have said, even if you're only on the iOS 13 beta, no watchOS, battery life sucks. For others it got fixed a beta or two ago, for my my Watch battery is still horrendous

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Font on ERA forums come from my Apple device or from ERA's web page? It looks to me like Apple's San Francisco Font.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Depending on the browser, you can see which font is used in the developer tools.

Firefox:
- CMD –Option – i
- inspector
- click on the font family tab

Chrome works similarly. You can find it in the elements tab, styles, at the very bottom.

Xc9Ducg.png

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stylesheet says to use the Apple system font if Roboto (Android font) is not available.
CSS:
.message-body {
    margin: 12px 0;
    font-family: roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, segoe ui, oxygen, ubuntu, cantarell, fira sans, droid sans, helvetica neue, sans-serif;
    padding-bottom: 12px;
    margin: 0
}

that said, they also have roboto embedded via google fonts as a webfont, so you should really never see san francisco in use

consequently i have a custom CSS that forces san francisco because i think it looks nicer

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I guess I am looking at Roboto since it loads from Google Web fonts.

I am not sure how to check on iOS Safari what font is in use right now.

I just looked and the 'g' in San Francisco and Roboto look exactly the same to me. Sans fonts are all very popular now.

EDIT: Yup I am looking at Roboto, the 'a' looks very different.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I didn't expect that I would see other people using San Francisco font on Era but I really shouldn't have been surprised since it is a great font.

Oct 25, 2017
Having a clean out and it's time for my OG time capsule to buy the dust. Just been sitting in it's box for probably 2 years unused now. Anything I need to do to ensure it's wiped before I dispose of it?

Edit - wow an iOS airport utility app. Didn't expect that. Connected via Ethernet just fine. Is it worth trying to recycle this at all?

Also bought a USB C hub which I'm hoping will be a single plug for my MBP and my iPad for power/monitor/USB.

If you wipe it and then do a write over it in Disk Utility you should be fine. You can spend more time writing more data over it or just trashing the hard drive if you're really paranoid but I wouldn't really bother.

Got some old hard drives that won't even turn on (drive head motor is probably dead) but if someone wanted to recover data from them all they're getting is my old school work.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Oops, I didn't notice because I've also been using custom CSS to force San Francisco since the original version of Resetera which looked atrocious on macOS.

that said, they also have roboto embedded via google fonts as a webfont, so you should really never see san francisco in use

consequently i have a custom CSS that forces san francisco because i think it looks nicer

How do you force a custom CSS with era to force SF font?

less

Oct 25, 2017
How do you force a custom CSS with era to force SF font?

Assuming that you have something like the browser extension Stylus you can use something like the following if you have SF installed:

CSS:
.message-userDetails
{
    font-family: "SF Pro Display" !important;
}

.message-cell.message-cell--main, .message-body
{
    font-family: "SF Pro Text" !important;
    font-size: 10pt !important;
}

.bbCodeBlock--expandable .bbCodeBlock-expandContent
{
}

.uix_sidebarNav .uix_sidebarNav__inner, body, html, .p-breadcrumbs, .p-nav-inner, .button.button--link, a.button.button--link
{
}

I personally use both the text and display versions for the various elements.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that you have something like the browser extension Stylus you can use something like the following if you have SF installed:

CSS:
.message-userDetails
{
}

.message-cell.message-cell--main, .message-body
{
}

.bbCodeBlock--expandable .bbCodeBlock-expandContent
{
}

.uix_sidebarNav .uix_sidebarNav__inner, body, html, .p-breadcrumbs, .p-nav-inner, .button.button--link, a.button.button--link
{
}

I personally use both the text and display versions for the various elements.

Oh wow thanks! ERA looks much better now using Chrome with Stylus and SF Pro Font. To bad macOS Safari, and iOS Safari don't have CSS injectors.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So for future planning, I'm trying to decide if I want an iPad Pro vs a MacBook Air vs a MacBook Pro 13-inch.

My uses would mostly be media consumption, with maybe a little but of light productivity (word processing) from time to time. The kicker is that I will have an iPhone and I do find iOS/iPadOS sharing most apps very attractive (playing games like the Dragon Quest port on a pocket sized and larger screen interchangeably would be nice in my own use case scenario), but I also find the higher granularity of control on MacOS attractive as well (like being able to download a wider range of web browser plugins, for example), as digital security is becoming a bigger and bigger concern for me.

Mind you, this decision is to determine my DAILY DRIVER computing device. I did live with a 2nd gen iPad Pro as my primary computer for about 8 months and I did run into some very annoying limitations, but many of those limits appear to be addressed with iPadOS on the horizon. I ultimately found the experience liveable and it wasn't annoying enough to make me swear off iPads anymore.

I also perceive that an iPad would communicate a bit more seamlessly with iOS and tvOS, as both would be a part of my hardware ecosystem as well, but it doesn't at all seem like Mac really runs into many issues along those lines.

Any thoughts, Apple-Era?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So for future planning, I'm trying to decide if I want an iPad Pro vs a MacBook Air vs a MacBook Pro 13-inch.

My uses would mostly be media consumption, with maybe a little but of light productivity (word processing) from time to time. The kicker is that I will have an iPhone and I do find iOS/iPadOS sharing most apps very attractive (playing games like the Dragon Quest port on a pocket sized and larger screen interchangeably would be nice in my own use case scenario), but I also find the higher granularity of control on MacOS attractive as well (like being able to download a wider range of web browser plugins, for example), as digital security is becoming a bigger and bigger concern for me.

Mind you, this decision is to determine my DAILY DRIVER computing device. I did live with a 2nd gen iPad Pro as my primary computer for about 8 months and I did run into some very annoying limitations, but many of those limits appear to be addressed with iPadOS on the horizon. I ultimately found the experience liveable and it wasn't annoying enough to make me swear off iPads anymore.

I also perceive that an iPad would communicate a bit more seamlessly with iOS and tvOS, as both would be a part of my hardware ecosystem as well, but it doesn't at all seem like Mac really runs into many issues along those lines.

Any thoughts, Apple-Era?

With the latest update the iPad is definitely something that can stretch further into 'computer' territory. Eg I can connect the iPad Pro to a TV/monitor via USB-C/HDMI, and use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with it. So for many extended tasks where the touch screen might slow you down - that can work really well. Add in better file support for eg bringing in files from SD cards etc and that helps

But there will often be specific tasks or workflows you like to do that aren't possible - eg certain browser plugins or an esoteric app that you love. Most will be things that can be worked around

Then balance that with being realistic how much of your time is media consumption, or tasks where an iPad will be noticeably more comfortable and convenient.

It seems like an iPad would be a good fit

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks! I guess I am looking at Roboto since it loads from Google Web fonts.

I am not sure how to check on iOS Safari what font is in use right now.

I just looked and the 'g' in San Francisco and Roboto look exactly the same to me. Sans fonts are all very popular now.

EDIT: Yup I am looking at Roboto, the 'a' looks very different.
If you have a Mac on hand, you can use Safari on macOS to debug Safari on iOS. Just to be sure lol

But Roboto looks very similar imo

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
(UK based)

Friend just got a MacBook Pro and is looking to insure it, but he can only find places that will insure laptops up to £2500. Anyone got an experience or tips?

Jaws

Oct 29, 2017
I've finally upgraded my 2010 MacBook to a 2015 MacBook Pro. What antivirus is everyone using? I've always used the free version of Avast, is there anything better to use?

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they fix the screen for the iPhone 11 / XR successor. I'm looking for a new phone right now, but there is no way that I spend ~900€ on a new phone with a worse screen than my 2y old Galaxy S8+.

Last edited:

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to do RSS feeds on macOS?

Whenever I click on an RSS feed on a web site it sends me to the NEWS app and then the NEWS app gives me an error and nothing happens?

Are there any good RSS feed apps on MacOS (any that are free)? How do you configure Safari to send you to a RSS feed app instead of NEWS?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
With the latest update the iPad is definitely something that can stretch further into 'computer' territory. Eg I can connect the iPad Pro to a TV/monitor via USB-C/HDMI, and use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with it. So for many extended tasks where the touch screen might slow you down - that can work really well. Add in better file support for eg bringing in files from SD cards etc and that helps

But there will often be specific tasks or workflows you like to do that aren't possible - eg certain browser plugins or an esoteric app that you love. Most will be things that can be worked around

Then balance that with being realistic how much of your time is media consumption, or tasks where an iPad will be noticeably more comfortable and convenient.

It seems like an iPad would be a good fit

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I was already at a point where it felt like I was at a 51/49 split in favor of iPad over some form of MacBook, just wanted to see if my reasoning was sound and it seems like it was.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of cool they're dipping their toes back into titanium. Not sure how two new material options would fit into the pricing.

Next Watch I get I might actually bite on the SS, presuming it'll last four or five years.

I wonder if they replace SS with ceramic and move Titanium into the "edition" category? Or vice versa? I don't know the cost breakdown of ceramic vs titanium

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I would be totally down with them throwing out the cheap looking and easily scuffed aluminium watches in favor of a SS base model (and therefore shifting ceramic to SS-tier and titanium to edition tier) … but we all know that's not what's gonna happen. Or maybe keep aluminium for the Nike watches since its probably still the lightest material of them all. Kinda excited for the Watch news after this leak, I really wanna see how the titanium looks with the S4 design

What else are we expecting for the september event anyway?
iPhone 11 (Pro) will likely be rather boring, Watch will either be a material refresh or a minor upgrade (or they sealed the leaks there somehow), maybe new AirPods, the Apple overears? Services talk?

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Titanium seems like it'd be alongside the SS tier. It's not an expensive precious metal.

Personally dislike titanium watches so I'd stick to steel.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with titanium IIRC is anodizing is tougher and the metal itself shows wear easier. It's nice and light; I dunno how recyclable it is.

I can't see them getting rid of the aluminum watches because clearly the biggest segment of the user base is the "sport" stuff for fitness; keeping that around as a price anchor makes more sense to me than trying to jack up prices again.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
would be weird for them to price titanium watches at a premium over steel when they're currently just mailing tons of Apple Card users chunks of titanium for free