• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the SE was basically a "parts bin" design where what Apple had lying around and were phasing out was what they used, similar to the new iPad Air. Not sure why people expected more from an SE2 like phone, the original SE was a success because it was cheap, not because of the actual quality of design.

That said, if anyone could make small phones cool again, it'd be Apple.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Seems we gonna get a one more thing on tuesday 👀

Surely it won't be used on their tile like trackers, right? Lol

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the SE was basically a "parts bin" design where what Apple had lying around and were phasing out was what they used, similar to the new iPad Air. Not sure why people expected more from an SE2 like phone, the original SE was a success because it was cheap, not because of the actual quality of design.

That said, if anyone could make small phones cool again, it'd be Apple.

It was pretty close to the 6s in performance though. Yes smaller 5s cheap screen but they didn't cheap out on the cpu which means it has had very good legs

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hope we'll see the tiles, but I doubt it's that.
Maybe it's the return of AirPower 😏

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
does the 12.9 ipad pro 2017 support fast charging? if so how can i take advantage of that. sick of waiting so long for mu ipad to recharge lol

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Seems strange to list it as S5 when they fit all previous models, unless Apple are going to change the connector....

there are also some series 4 listings, but for the whole watch. Could be a placeholder. The bands still say 44mm and 40mm.

I would assume that a band connector change would have leaked. It would be a big deal. And not really necessary for anything that I can think of...

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
there are also some series 4 listings, but for the whole watch. Could be a placeholder. The bands still say 44mm and 40mm.

I would assume that a band connector change would have leaked. It would be a big deal. And not really necessary for anything that I can think of...
I hope it doesn't change, I've got quite a few Apple bands I've spent a small fortune on haha.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Also, I love the current Apple TV remote, and I hope they don't change it.
It's the smallest, most slippery remote I've ever used. I had to put one of those pop socket things on mine. I wouldn't mind them making it thicker and adding backlit buttons.

rbHY5zi.jpg

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I like the remote, only issue is it's fragility. Putting glass on a remote is just dumb. Mine slipped off the couch and shattered on the wooden floor lol.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I like the remote, only issue is it's fragility. Putting glass on a remote is just dumb. Mine slipped off the couch and shattered on the wooden floor lol.

That is crazy, sorry it happened. I didn't realize there was any glass.

I use mine when exercising on our elliptical machine and I've probably dropped it onto the metal tracks a dozen times. It still looks like new so I was thinking they were super durable.

Other than not dropping it, I love it. The trackpad and being able to drag to FF / RW or use the small corner press is godly. My family all hates it because they can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds figuring it out.

Oct 25, 2017
SE was just a 6s in tight clothing so I'm not sure what people are realistically expecting from an SE2. Maybe some are hoping for edge to edge OLED Face ID etc. But SE was designed to be low cost more than small size. So you won't get the latest and greatest. A13 is already more than I'd have expected in it but that may be supply chain convenience or 7nm power saving benefits over performance requirements.

If it has enough ram it'll be a good option to replace my wife's SE around this time next year - or whenever the SE/6s starts to struggle with iOS (still seems fine, my son has a 6s, my daughter and wife both SEs).

Kind of like with the Mac Pro, when people talk about the SE2 they're really talking about two different things for two different crowds. One is just a more affordable, higher-value budget model. The SE was a phenomenal deal when it launched, because you were basically getting a (sometimes better performing) 6S in a smaller package with only a few compromises (TouchID, camera, screen.)

The second is people (I'd count myself here) who don't particularly care about the cost, but would rather have a small phone. I got a XS partially because of the size; when I got my 6 I liked the larger screen but felt like the size was a little larger than I wanted, and that feeling hasn't gone away. I would totally pay for something akin to the SE's size; I forget the exact calculations the last time I bothered doing it but you could basically fit a >4.7" screen in the same body size using the XS's bezel dimensions.

The best option for everyone is that they'd just release a wider variety of screen sizes and decouple screen size from price points, but that ain't happening. So Apple's probably decided the first crowd is the one to go for, especially since the 6-8 size was basically the most dominant era of iPhone and even now I imagine has some people who prefer the home button/legacy way of navigation to the X-style.

Probably the SE then for Spring?

Can't imagine they'd work to torpedo their sales announcing it that early.

This is what I'm thinking as well. All the pieces line up for Apple TV to be marketed as an actual console- new SoC, expanded controller support, Arcade service, etc.

Apple just needs to hire away someone at Sony or Microsoft, rebuild Game Center, and make a real play for the space. They could be a really great competitor if they cared beyond half-assing it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's the smallest, most slippery remote I've ever used. I had to put one of those pop socket things on mine. I wouldn't mind them making it thicker and adding backlit buttons.

rbHY5zi.jpg
I mean I know some people have trouble with it, but my elderly father has no problem with his, and I've never had a problem picking mine up, doing any sort of indirect input, dropping it, and so on. Before posting this I purposefully picked it up quickly by the "wrong" end and I didn't hit anything on the touchpad to change what was on the TV. I've also never had problems with any of the phones being too slick (some I've found more comfortably than others, yes) so I may just be the outlier.

I just love the size, simplicity, battery life, and usage of it that I'm worried they'd change it up too much.

Dec 4, 2018
What enclosure and GPU are you using? Did it recently break? Beta?

No beta. Running latest Mojave (10.14.6) using Razor Core X + Vega56.

So what happens is, bootcamp setup will work until it attempts to boot in windows. If the ext. GPU is plugged in, it won't display and just hang. If you try to shut it off with the power button, the Mac mini will shut off and basically appear dead (not turn on.) You have to power cycle (unplug, press power button) a couple of times. If you try to boot again you'll get flashes of green stripes and something resembling a windows logo for a couple of seconds then it will go black again.

You have to install windows and all updates without the ext. GPU. Installing the xConnect drivers will fail to detect the GPU if you connect it afterward. I got Windows to detect the GPU after several reboots (be warned, don't leave the ext. GPU plugged in even if you're using HDMI of the Mac mini.) However, on the first success the Mac mini stopped recognizing the keyboard. After getting it all to work, the next reboot the same thing happened (appeared dead, had to power cycle.)

Windows has only successfully booted without issues 3 times. The next boot I was at theApple recovery screen. I got it to boot again.

Basically, ext. GPU and Bootcamp is poop right now. Luckily, the iGPU supports DX11/12 and I don't need the performance for now, just output.

Oct 25, 2017
No beta. Running latest Mojave (10.14.6) using Razor Core X + Vega56.

So what happens is, bootcamp setup will work until it attempts to boot in windows. If the ext. GPU is plugged in, it won't display and just hang. If you try to shut it off with the power button, the Mac mini will shut off and basically appear dead (not turn on.) You have to power cycle (unplug, press power button) a couple of times. If you try to boot again you'll get flashes of green stripes and something resembling a windows logo for a couple of seconds then it will go black again.

You have to install windows and all updates without the ext. GPU. Installing the xConnect drivers will fail to detect the GPU if you connect it afterward. I got Windows to detect the GPU after several reboots (be warned, don't leave the ext. GPU plugged in even if you're using HDMI of the Mac mini.) However, on the first success the Mac mini stopped recognizing the keyboard. After getting it all to work, the next reboot the same thing happened (appeared dead, had to power cycle.)

Windows has only successfully booted without issues 3 times. The next boot I was at theApple recovery screen. I got it to boot again.

Basically, ext. GPU and Bootcamp is poop right now. Luckily, the iGPU supports DX11/12 and I don't need the performance for now, just output.
That sort of sounds like how I had with my setup (MacBook Pro 13in, Razor Core X, Vega... something) where I had a lot of problems until I read something that said I had to have the eGPU cabled plugged into a specific port for it to work. Eventually I figured it out or it worked itself out, but I'm fine now. I hope it gets resolved for you.

Edit: I don't remember the exact steps I had to take, but it was something like having the eGPU always plugged in to a specific port, have the port next to it be disabled in Windows, and that got Bootcamp with an eGPU to always work for me. It was strange the process I had to follow, but it did work.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Anyone thinking this year's iPhone will be worth upgrading? Its sort of time for me to upgrade going from an iPhone 6Plus to this.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
In iOS 13, is it possible to create location-based reminders with a custom location (as opposed to entering the address)?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In iOS 13, is it possible to create location-based reminders with a custom location (as opposed to entering the address)?

Can you be more specific about "custom location"? There is that option but I don't know if it's what's you're looking for. It basically lets you choose between your current location, any locations you have saved in your contact card, getting into or getting out of any paired car, or searching for an address

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I hate the poor material quality of the Smart Keyboard Folio. I love the typing on it and the general form and function but its beyond me why these are of such poor quality. Sucks there are no better alternatives. Mine has developed tons of wrinkles over the summer. Just cosmetic (for now) but still bums me out. Glad I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP.
Yeah, I paid MSRP and mine is doing horribly. The texture has gone completely different in some places. I'm tempted to see if Apple would replace it.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I paid MSRP and mine is doing horribly. The texture has gone completely different in some places. I'm tempted to see if Apple would replace it.
You definitely should. I will hit them up as well once mine gets too unbearable and absolutely before my warranty runs out. Let me know how it goes if you decide to follow through

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Can you be more specific about "custom location"? There is that option but I don't know if it's what's you're looking for. It basically lets you choose between your current location, any locations you have saved in your contact card, getting into or getting out of any paired car, or searching for an address

It's possible to search for a location in iOS 12, but I can't just drag the pin on the map to an arbitrary location.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
How often does the iOS13 App Store do automatic updates to your apps?

I used to update my apps manually but now iOS13 gives another layer of hiding your app updates in your profile.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Things I didn't expect to see today: Apple Maps car driving through my 200 people village in Germany lmao.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do prices go down on older iPhones when the new iPhone is announced or when it goes on sale?

on sale I think. If you're concerned about availability it shouldn't be an issue for the older phones, but if buying from Apple you could buy as soon as you know what the price will be and Apple will refund the difference if its within the 14 days

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually turned off auto update for my apps. It's kind of annoying doing it manually but I was tired of opening up an app and seeing things had changed and I didn't know what they were. For the apps that use release notes properly I actually like reading them

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone thinking this year's iPhone will be worth upgrading? Its sort of time for me to upgrade going from an iPhone 6Plus to this.

The iPhone 6 is no longer supported, so updating, whether to a new flagship, a 2018 Xr, or the rumored early 2019 iPhone "8se" (all of which also have vast superior performance and cameras to the 6) would definitely be worthwhile IMO.

But for people with newer devices, holding out for the 2020 devices (expected to have new form factors, 5G, and USB-C) might be wiser.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
The iPhone 6 is no longer supported, so updating, whether to a new flagship, a 2018 Xr, or the rumored early 2019 iPhone "8se" (all of which also have vast superior performance and cameras to the 6) would definitely be worthwhile IMO.
Nice! How about a 6sPlus would that be on the same boat? I want to get a flagship one so i get all the benefits and higher specs

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the 13 beta all summer with my 6S Plus and it's been totally fine. If the update is lackluster I will ride out until 2020 (and really the only thing that is really showing its age is the camera).

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
My iCloud Music Library shows up fine. Are you only subscribed to iTunes Match or something?
Yeah. I don't use Apple Music. Never will. I don't stream on my phone. I own all my music. I would have at least liked the option to have an online version of my music library. I'd think the web app would basically be an exact replica of the new Music app on Catalina. Do I need to have Catalina or something because I still haven't installed the beta.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I don't use Apple Music. Never will. I don't stream on my phone. I own all my music. I would have at least liked the option to have an online version of my music library. I'd think the web app would basically be an exact replica of the new Music app on Catalina. Do I need to have Catalina or something because I still haven't installed the beta.

Do you have iTunes Match?