• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I don't use Apple Music. Never will. I don't stream on my phone. I own all my music. I would have at least liked the option to have an online version of my music library. I'd think the web app would basically be an exact replica of the new Music app on Catalina. Do I need to have Catalina or something because I still haven't installed the beta.

Yeah, the site requires Apple Music specifically - just iTunes Match won't work. For Apple Music subscribers it includes your entire iCloud music library.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
iTunes Match probably isn't long for this world
Well if it goes, I'll just have to switch back to syncing manually with my phone. At least I'll have gotten replacement AAC files for most of the protected AAC music I bought in the early days (Save for like half a dozen songs that have been removed from iTMS since then) and Catalina has automatic Finder-based syncing now. And it'll save me money. As long as Apple doesn't suddenly decide they're gonna just up and remove the ability to keep music on your phone period I'll survive.

I like iTunes Match though. It's great when it works. Sometimes it can take a while to sync changes, but it's convenient. But I won't miss it if it goes away.

Either way, I will never ever switch to streaming my music on any service. Ever.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Apple Music now has an official web UI.

Looks pretty solid. This probably doesn't have syncing between clients (e.g. can listen to music on phone and change songs on the PC)? And anyone know if running it in a browser has a negative effect on sound quality? I've always wondered if the whole browser environment can mess with the sound.

Either way, a major step towards me being able to finally get rid of Spotify. Considering how much music listening I do on a Windows PC it'll have to wait a bit longer still, though. Maybe when this is out of beta or they release a Windows app for Music.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The iPhone 6 is no longer supported, so updating, whether to a new flagship, a 2018 Xr, or the rumored early 2019 iPhone "8se" (all of which also have vast superior performance and cameras to the 6) would definitely be worthwhile IMO.

But for people with newer devices, holding out for the 2020 devices (expected to have new form factors, 5G, and USB-C) might be wiser.

If you're hanging on to a 6s - are you really that bothered about usb-c, 5G? You're more likely simply a pragmatic, sensible person trying to get the most out of an expensive purchase. In which case youre more likely to upgrade when iOS support ends or you get bored of replacing your battery yet again.

What's the ram profile of devices since 6s/SE? That's a big jump forward in usable ram and performance and if 7/8 etc still have the same memory I can see 6s still having iOS 14 support and maybe even further

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well if it goes, I'll just have to switch back to syncing manually with my phone. At least I'll have gotten replacement AAC files for most of the protected AAC music I bought in the early days (Save for like half a dozen songs that have been removed from iTMS since then) and Catalina has automatic Finder-based syncing now. And it'll save me money. As long as Apple doesn't suddenly decide they're gonna just up and remove the ability to keep music on your phone period I'll survive.

I like iTunes Match though. It's great when it works. Sometimes it can take a while to sync changes, but it's convenient. But I won't miss it if it goes away.

Either way, I will never ever switch to streaming my music on any service. Ever.

Is there a preferred way to safely launder your music collection? I have a bunch of ripped CDs and iTunes protected purchases from the Olsen days and I have Apple Music - but want to cancel as I don't use it enough to justify. Would like a clean, drm free collection and any improvements from my 128k mp3s before I cancel

Also - does google play still let you upload your collection and stream? Or does anyone? That's basically all I need then I can just buy tracks/albums when I want to

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I don't use Apple Music. Never will. I don't stream on my phone. I own all my music. I would have at least liked the option to have an online version of my music library. I'd think the web app would basically be an exact replica of the new Music app on Catalina. Do I need to have Catalina or something because I still haven't installed the beta.

This is a web client for Apple Music accounts.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the ram profile of devices since 6s/SE? That's a big jump forward in usable ram and performance and if 7/8 etc still have the same memory I can see 6s still having iOS 14 support and maybe even further

The 7 and 8 (non-Plus) have 2 GB of RAM, just like the SE/6S. I wouldn't count on iOS 14 on the SE/6S, but it's possible Apple will continue to support it as long as the 7 (or even the 8). Still, at some point you might want a phone that works better with current carrier networks, has a nicer screen, has a good camera, and has more modern features/performance.

Also - does google play still let you upload your collection and stream?

Yes.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Even though I have an X, I'm considering upgrading to one of this year's models. My X feels a bit small and I think I'd rather have a Max device. Besides, faster Face ID with a wider angle sounds good too, although I'd rather have Touch ID back.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I have an X, I'm considering upgrading to one of this year's models. My X feels a bit small and I think I'd rather have a Max device. Besides, faster Face ID with a wider angle sounds good too, although I'd rather have Touch ID back.

I am half considering hitting the upgrade program for a year but realise it's not cost effective as I'd jump again next year.

I'd get a bit more for my X selling this year, but you're basically renting for £50pm

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I am half considering hitting the upgrade program for a year but realise it's not cost effective as I'd jump again next year.

I'd get a bit more for my X selling this year, but you're basically renting for £50pm

The program doesn't even exist over here (Austria). But yes, I would too upgrade next year again.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, rainbow colors. Considering the rumored return to rainbow-y logos on the products, is there a rainbow "rebranding" incoming?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope iTunes movies come to Android. It makes sense since Apple Music is already on Android. I have an iPhone X but the movies would look way better on my OnePlus 7 Pro.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If you need a phone buy a phone. No sense in being miserable for a year just to get whatever comes out later.

I will.. still sucks. I may get the wife and kids something unless a carrier deal makes 4 logical.

I honestly don't care that much anymore. I use my iPad a lot and keep that up to date. Phone is basically talk, text, mobile ticketing, Apple Wallet.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope iTunes movies come to Android. It makes sense since Apple Music is already on Android. I have an iPhone X but the movies would look way better on my OnePlus 7 Pro.

If you're in the US MoviesAnywhere will move most of them to Google Play Movies

(The TV app will probably come to android eventually)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Eg - increasing the gap between Xs and max isn't good for me. X is fine for me and although 5.4 would fit a little nicer in my pocket I don't know if I want smaller text (getting old now!). But a 6.7 max is way too big

I guess the XR will slip into the gap but They'll gimp the specs mainly the camera so not an option probably. Although I'm tempted to try an XR(2019) on iPhone upgrades for a year as a cheaper per month while waiting on 2020

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Have to say that Airpods became a more-hate-than-love relationship for me.
Love how they look, the sound quality, battery life and portability but there's this thing that is not only infuriating but straight up harmful to people's hearing, i'm obviously talking about the fact that notifications, ringtones and keyboard tapping sound all remain at max volume even when audio is at minimum, last night i received a call and 3 notifications in the span of one minute and my eardrums hurt for more than a hour.
Airpods are 3 years old as a product now, how is it possible that Apple doesn't understand that it needs a custom audio profile for this crap when they connect? If these break and they have not fixed this problem i will 100% never buy them again, might be as cool as you want but they are not worth damaging your ears.

Also they really need to find a solution and put volume controls on the buds themselves without falling back to Siri and last but not the least put batteries of the same capacity in each bud, one categorically dies before the other despite always using them together.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
You receive notification sounds via headphones? All I ever get is playback stopping when I receive a call. Both buds have the same standard capacity of course, the batteries just age differently depending on a variety of factors.

Speaking of AirPods, I want to see some with noise cancellation and user-replaceable battery (yes, of course they won't advertise it just like with iPhones, but the battery should be replaceable, like, at all without destroying the device). Honestly don't think I will replace mine otherwise either.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The Apple TV remote has won me over to a large degree (other than dropability) but fuck that battery. I already have 1 4th gen and 1 4K gen remote that won't hold a charge.

I'm assuming they can't be repaired?

Oct 25, 2017
The Apple TV remote has won me over to a large degree (other than dropability) but fuck that battery. I already have 1 4th gen and 1 4K gen remote that won't hold a charge.

I'm assuming they can't be repaired?
I don't know how long you've had them, but that's not typical behavior for the remote and you should get it checked out by Apple. I think my dad has his Apple TV remote go almost 6 months before he had to charge it, and I've never had a problem with mine.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how long you've had them, but that's not typical behavior for the remote and you should get it checked out by Apple. I think my dad has his Apple TV remote go almost 6 months before he had to charge it, and I've never had a problem with mine.

One is older at this point as I gave it away to a family member (the gen 4). Mine other was purchased when the 4K models came out. Neither will hold a charge. My 4K remote was fully charged about 5 days ago and I just got the 10% warning again.

I know it's not normal as I've always got 3 of whatever's current but these new non-replaceable battery remotes suck for this reason. They're just more throwaway electronics.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I will.. still sucks. I may get the wife and kids something unless a carrier deal makes 4 logical.

I honestly don't care that much anymore. I use my iPad a lot and keep that up to date. Phone is basically talk, text, mobile ticketing, Apple Wallet.
If the 2020 phones bring a radical new design then it's still gonna be here by the next time you upgrade. No need to get so bummed out about it. The X series design isn't terrible in the least. Buy now, give it a few years, by then the next design revision will have had time to evolve and work out the kinks.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If the 2020 phones bring a radical new design then it's still gonna be here by the next time you upgrade. No need to get so bummed out about it. The X series design isn't terrible in the least. Buy now, give it a few years, by then the next design revision will have had time to evolve and work out the kinks.

LOL it was just a comment, something to talk about. I'm not "so bummed". I haven't upgraded phones since the 6 released so it's obviously not some critical deal.

I just thought it was annoying that after this large gap and with me finally caving on kid phones that a new design is around the corner. I'm actually a bit of an old school guy on the X series so I don't like it. I don't like the notch, so that'll probably go away next. I have zero interest in Face ID and want my home button and fingerprint sensor. Obviously that's not coming back though. At this point my ideal phone would probably be an SE redesign with new guts and no Face ID. I'd buy 3 of them (wife likes Face ID).

I'm actually mostly bummed that I have to spend money on new iPhones and Apple doesn't have reasonable options. I used to get pretty excited about phones but I'm over it and don't value them proportionately to their current pricing model.

The iPad.. now that's where I get serious. I'll be hanging on to my second gen 12.9 forever due to the Face ID thing. Glad I got 512GB storage on in.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if you need a couple extra phones for kids, SEs are dirt cheap sim only or on cheap contracts and will last a couple years probably with updates.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if you need a couple extra phones for kids, SEs are dirt cheap sim only or on cheap contracts and will last a couple years probably with updates.

It's possible. I have a weird thing with the way that my employer pays for my cell service so I have to look at the way carriers reimburse and make sure that it doesn't impact my main line. Like.. no use paying for HW only to reduce the amount I get reimbursed later.

For kid lines I need to explore the benefits of adding 2 lines (b1g1, etc). My experience with the post contract world is basically buying 2 new 6 series devices from Apple unlocked and paying full price.

Given the choices though, might do Xr just for longevity. Will look into the cheap SE though.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
You receive notification sounds via headphones? All I ever get is playback stopping when I receive a call. Both buds have the same standard capacity of course, the batteries just age differently depending on a variety of factors.
Yeah i have iMessage/sms sounds on so when they arrive they blast into my ears, and i have very calming sound for them too.
That's what i meant by same capacity battery, at worst the difference of distance between one bud to the other from the phone is half a meter why the heck should they degrade differently? To be honest i have even considered bringing them to the apple store to have them replaced but i know they'll laugh at my face.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i have iMessage/sms sounds on so when they arrive they blast into my ears, and i have very calming sound for them too.
That's what i meant by same capacity battery, at worst the difference of distance between one bud to the other from the phone is half a meter why the heck should they degrade differently? To be honest i have even considered bringing them to the apple store to have them replaced but i know they'll laugh at my face.
The active mic switching between the left and right bud is probably a big reason for the difference in battery degradation.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of buying a Mac mini to replace my 2012 MBA (I really don't need portability). It'll be used pretty much for browsing and basic desktop stuff (no photo/video processing etc) however I am currently playing WoW Classic (on my work laptop, no less) and it'd be nice to know what I can expect from it in terms of performance.

Appreciate it's not exactly taxing, but curious if anyone does something similar. Ideally I'd want to output at 1080p (I don't really need anything more).

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of buying a Mac mini to replace my 2012 MBA (I really don't need portability). It'll be used pretty much for browsing and basic desktop stuff (no photo/video processing etc) however I am currently playing WoW Classic (on my work laptop, no less) and it'd be nice to know what I can expect from it in terms of performance.

Appreciate it's not exactly taxing, but curious if anyone does something similar. Ideally I'd want to output at 1080p (I don't really need anything more).
Looking at userbenchmarks you should be able to get 1080p60 without too much tinkering.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

It should absolutely demolish Classic. I used to play it on an iMac G4.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018

I'm thinking of doing the same (although holding out til next month, in case they do a CPU/spec bump on the current Mini), but I'm wanting to go back to CS:GO (as there's nothing on the consoles that has its currency meta-game).

Has anyone had any luck with nVidia eGPUs on macOS yet? I've got a 1070 sitting unused (it may not work anymore; the PC it was in had a nasty power surge), and I'd like to use that if possible.