• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So, regarding the weird CTD issue I reported here recently: I traced it down to being file path related. If I rename the app or move it to another folder, it launches again. So it must be macOS somewhere storing meta data or something that messes it up I assume? Any idea how I would go about finding that info? I realize I sound helpless but I actually haven't had to troubleshoot anything that major on macOS so far lol.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at userbenchmarks you should be able to get 1080p60 without too much tinkering.
Interesting, thanks - I'd be more than happy with that (considering I'm currently running at around 720p at a non-stable 30).

Also considering a 27" iMac (either the one with the 570x or 575x, I don't want to go nuts)... but I wonder if that 5K screen might actually make things worse. :/

in case they do a CPU/spec bump on the current Mini
As it took them 4 years to refresh to the current mini I thought I'd be safe. :p

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a quicker way to launch into Bootcamp than opening up System Preferences > Startup Disk > Unlock > Select System > Restart? There used to be an app called Bootchamp that let you do it in one click from the menubar, but it died when Apple started doing SIP a few years ago.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a quicker way to launch into Bootcamp than opening up System Preferences > Startup Disk > Unlock > Select System > Restart? There used to be an app called Bootchamp that let you do it in one click from the menubar, but it died when Apple started doing SIP a few years ago.
Restart and hold option I believe? I haven't used boot camp in years so I might be incorrect on the key to hold.

Oct 25, 2017

If OSX is your main OS, In that it's the default OS you'd be booting into, you can always just hold option on restart to bring up the boot volume chooser and choose the Windows volume. It'll then just reset to OSX next time you restart.

Oct 25, 2017
Restart and hold option I believe? I haven't used boot camp in years so I might be incorrect on the key to hold.
Right. I should be more specific. I'm in Mac OS and I want to quickly get into Windows. I'm looking for a faster way than doing the system preference route or restarting the machine and doing what you suggest. Like, in Windows you can right-click the Boot Camp system tray icon and just say "restart in OS X". It's really quick and only takes two clicks. I'm looking for that equivalent in Mac OS.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Right. I should be more specific. I'm in Mac OS and I want to quickly get into Windows. I'm looking for a faster way than doing the system preference route or restarting the machine and doing what you suggest. Like, in Windows you can right-click the Boot Camp system tray icon and just say "restart in OS X". It's really quick and only takes two clicks. I'm looking for that equivalent in Mac OS.
When I used to use Boot Camp I had Alfred set up to reboot the Mac and restart in Windows just by typing "win". It was very handy.

I think this was it. https://github.com/drezha/Alfred.App_Extensions/tree/master/Reboot Into Windows No idea if it works with current Alfred or current Boot Camp though.

edit: looks like you'd need to disable System Integrity Protection in order to use a workflow like this nowadays.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, thanks - I'd be more than happy with that (considering I'm currently running at around 720p at a non-stable 30).

Also considering a 27" iMac (either the one with the 570x or 575x, I don't want to go nuts)... but I wonder if that 5K screen might actually make things worse. :/

As it took them 4 years to refresh to the current mini I thought I'd be safe. :p
The GPUs in the iMacs can do 1080p quite well, and you can generally do 1440p on them, which _should_ look fine given than its half the native res of a really dense screen. I dunno about Warcraft but generally native 5K or 4K is out unless you add an eGPU.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
This may not work on Mojave but it's worth a shot if you're ok with weakening systems integrity protections: Try this

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
The GPUs in the iMacs can do 1080p quite well, and you can generally do 1440p on them, which _should_ look fine given than its half the native res of a really dense screen. I dunno about Warcraft but generally native 5K or 4K is out unless you add an eGPU.
Thanks again.

A few more questions (one of which might not be best suited to this thread):
  • Can I input a signal to the screen on an iMac? I'll probably look at hooking my PS4 Pro up in the same area so it would be a bonus, otherwise the Mac mini will probably be the way to go
  • Recommendations for memory for the Mac mini (or iMac 27" if the first answer is positive)?
  • Recommendations for a decent monitor (I don't want to go nuts - around 24" is fine) if I go for a Mac mini)?
I'll research these anyway, but help/suggestions from all would be appreciated. I don't want to go crazy budget wise (which I realise is massively non-specific).

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
No. The last 27" pre-retina iMac could be used this way, but none since.
That helps me make my mind up to be honest, I'm leaning towards the Mac mini.

I bought a 32GB kit from OWC for my mini and installed it myself; would recommend looking through a take-apart guide to make sure it's within your comfort level.
Thanks. It's been a while, but I'm pretty comfortable inside a PC - will watch some videos anyway.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
My wireless headphones died, so I said screw it and finally jumped on the AirPod bandwagon.

So far so good. Pleasantly surprised by sound quality. Luckily they are a good fit too. Don't like not having volume controls on the pods, though having a watch kinda alleviates that issue.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
One (hopefully) last question - if I buy the Mac mini with 8GB does it come as a single or dual DIMMs? Basically can I buy a 16GB DIMM and have either 20GB or 24GB or do I need to buy a 16GB pair.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Is Beyond a Steel Sky Apple Arcade only? I don't like paying for subscription services, and would gladly pay for it as a one-off purchase.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yes, you can change it in the 2018 Mini if you don't have two left hands when it comes to computers
Don't you have to slide the chassis out now and remove a metal cage to get to it unlike older models where you could reach it from the base opening? I know it's still slotted (Instead of soldered) but isn't it protected now? lol

Asking for myself since a mini is still something I'm looking into eventually. They should just make 16GB the base now.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you have to slide the chassis out now and remove a metal cage to get to it unlike older models where you could reach it from the base opening? I know it's still slotted (Instead of soldered) but isn't it protected now? lol

Asking for myself since a mini is still something I'm looking into eventually. They should just make 16GB the base now.
I've watched a video - it's definitely not simple, but it doesn't look particularly difficult for someone that has at least a little experience with their fingers inside a PC.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

This looks like it's very similar in difficulty to when i replaced my Late 2014 model's HDD with an SSD. (i.e. carefully remove connectors and the system fan, until you can slide out the logic board assembly) - and this time around you don't even need the weird 'wire hanger' ... uhm ... logic board removal tool
If you have the right tools (the iFixit spudger and angled tweezer are a godsend) there's not much that could go wrong.

In general, for anyone who does any electronics upgrading / repairing / fiddling-around-with at all, the iFixit toolkits are well worth their money.

Nov 5, 2017

This looks like it's very similar in difficulty to when i replaced my Late 2014 model's HDD with an SSD. (i.e. carefully remove connectors and the system fan, until you can slide out the logic board assembly) - and this time around you don't even need the weird 'wire hanger' ... uhm ... logic board removal tool
If you have the right tools (the iFixit spudger and angled tweezer are a godsend) there's not much that could go wrong.

In general, for anyone who does any electronics upgrading / repairing / fiddling-around-with at all, the iFixit toolkits are well worth their money.

I can vouch. I have the Pro Tech Toolkit and it is so well made!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just wish they'd squish down the iPhone 11 tech and design into a 4" design and I'd gladly give them $700 for it.

I want a new phone but they're all just too dang big.

Yes, I know I'm repeating myself.

Edit: Debating between replacing the battery myself and letting Apple do it. I figure a $20 premium is probably worth it to just let Apple handle it.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If I insist on having the ultimate "any carrier" unlocked iPhone I've always picked it up directly from Apple, but it was often delayed a bit.

I haven't done this since the 7 though (for mom). Has this changed at all, or can I grab one without any LTE compatibility issues today? It's always been a bit confusing with the different SKU's.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
No tile tracking. No iOS release date (right?). No Pen support on the Pro. No reverse charging on the Pro. No 16" MacBook.

Since i'm not in the market for a watch or a phone this year, i can't say i'm mad that this event was relatively underwhelming.
if i still was on anything below an iPhone X, the iPhone 11 is a fantastic fucking deal.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
No tile tracking. No iOS release date (right?). No Pen support on the Pro. No reverse charging on the Pro. No 16" MacBook.

Since i'm not in the market for a watch or a phone this year, i can't say i'm mad that this event was relatively underwhelming.
if i still was on anything below an iPhone X, the iPhone 11 is a fantastic fucking deal.
iOS 13 is out next Thursday and iPadOS the day after.

Oct 25, 2017
No Apple Tile. iPhone 11 Pro is... eh. I will stick with my iPhone 6S Plus for another year, I guess.

I guess we will wait for October to see about new MacBook Pro sizes or iPad Pros.

The biggest issue is I'm still confused by what is offered on Apple TV +. Like, is it just original content, or do you get other stuff? Is there really not going to be a bundle for Apple TV+, Apple Music, and Apple Arcade? The pricing is good at 4.99 and aggressive with the free year with new hardware. But, I still feel like I don't know what I'd be exactly getting come November 1st.

And is the SoC for the Apple Watch 5 the same as the 4, with the only difference being the compass and display? If so, I will wait until they update the SoC, but always on display finally happening is great news.

Finally, so much for the "Apple TV to be competitive with dedicated consoles" by having a new version out this year. Honestly it's probably worth waiting for it to happen to see how Apple Arcade takes off, if it does.

Edit: Random aside, but that felt like a very brief and much shorter keynote, but it's really not. Last year's was 1h47m, and this was about 1h45m. Still, something about this one felt padded especially when they went so far into the weeds of the A13 chip.

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I feel like Apple saved me a lot of money today.

s3 seems def good enough, x? Why would I upgrade, really.

new iPad might be good for my grandmother who wants her first tablet.

i Feel so unimpressed but pat the same time so glad my stuff stands up and can keep it longer, so I guess I'm happy and not going to be broke..yay?

now where is ios13 and ipados

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
is Sep 20 the worldwide release or just US? I want to upgrade from my iPhone 7+. It still works fine, but the battery... Maximum Capacity is at 77%, and Peak Performance Capability says, "Your battery's health is significantly degraded." Also, the charge slot is messed up, it will only charge at a certain angle now.

The normal 11 is $699, which is right around my budget, so I want to get that.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the things that iPhone enthusiasts expect every year are interesting. Like there are tons of things that they could do that would be nice to haves.. but 99% of their customer base would never even notice.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
No new Apple TV announced? There were some rumors

the 4k available now is already the best box on the market by far, there were a lot of rumours that did not come to light

like where was Apple Watch sleep tracking and bedtime features rumoured etc

I think this was such an in between year for Apple and the push on services is where i am going to find a way to get better use out of my devices with Apple TV plus and arcade.

but for people who want a killer camera than good for them this year

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
How could they do Apple Watch sleep tracking with an always on Watch?

I guess they can't Or they would have done it I think. maybe next year.

they said same all day 18 hours. I guess that's what s4 got, i doubt my s3 gets the same.

i need to sell my s3 cellular for the faster and bigger screen on s4. S5 seems so damn cosmetic. I bet i can find a cheap s4 if I'm patient.