• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
My day 1 s4 still gets like a full two day battery life if I don't push it. I don't really make it do any heavy lifting. I usually charge it every night anyway.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My day 1 s4 still gets like a full two day battery life if I don't push it. I don't really make it do any heavy lifting. I usually charge it every night anyway.
Same here. The S4's battery life is fantastic. If i go on a 90 minute run on any given day, i still go to bed with >50% battery.

I really wanna grab the iOS 13 GM - that one should release tonight, right?

Btw, is "quick video" (holding the shutter button) an iPhone 11 only feature? Or a stealth dropped iOS 13 feature. Burst photos are so pointless...

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
GM is out - gonna download and update tomorrow
Only for iPhone right? What a weird year for iOS updates. I will get it as well, if just to finally be able to sync my shortcuts again

e: thinking about it, probably not. app updates will still be held hostage in app review until public release, don't wanna risk my bank 2fa breaking

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The two-tone sport loops look interesting. At first look I didn't care for them but the more I look at this blue/cream combo it's growing on me.

MX3M2_AV1

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I like the purple leather band for the gold watch but not sure if I can pull it off lol. Also just bought the Milanese loop the other day, so I'm actually good re premium bands. Wish there were more options for the gold watch

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda like the new green, but £1,150... oof!

Will look into the upgrade program or maybe wait until next year.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has a new SOC. s5, 2x as fast as the s3, dual core. 64-bit. https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/10/appl...ip-preview-in-ar-gold-band-options-much-more/

Apple said the same thing about the S4 though?

"SoC" encompasses the entire system, so it's entirely possible that it's the same processor (hence same performance) as the S4 but has other differences that justify the new branding. who knows.

whatever the case, they didn't tout any significant performance improvement over S4, so don't expect one

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
"SoC" encompasses the entire system, so it's entirely possible that it's the same processor (hence same performance) as the S4 but has other differences that justify the new branding. who knows.

whatever the case, they didn't tout any significant performance improvement over S4, so don't expect one
Right. Would be unfortunate if that's the case.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I am deff subbing to apple arcade, still debating on Apple TV+ though, are the episodes downloadable?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely need a 256gb over a 64gb that I have so might sell my iPhone XS as well as the iPad I barely use and just buy Pro Max 256gb, welp

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. The S4's battery life is fantastic. If i go on a 90 minute run on any given day, i still go to bed with >50% battery.

I really wanna grab the iOS 13 GM - that one should release tonight, right?

Btw, is "quick video" (holding the shutter button) an iPhone 11 only feature? Or a stealth dropped iOS 13 feature. Burst photos are so pointless...

I find the battery weirdly inconsistent; I went on a five-hour excursion over the weekend and it barely dented my battery tracking it, but a normal workday it drains more even though I'm doing less overall exercise with it.

And burst videos are extremely useful, although the times I've used them definitely is outweighed by the times I've accidentally used it...

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it occurs to me that, now that the "ipad" has a bigger higher-res display, the old selling point of "the ipad mini shows as much content as a full-size ipad" is now officially for the first time no longer true

it's also the only 2048x1536 ipad apple still sells

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
FYI if I spend $3500 on phones Friday I'll be coming here for emotional support.
As someone with a 6S Plus who is going to try and limp along another year, I'm going to hound you night and day out of spite. lol (but seriously, preemptive congrats!)

Silly niche question: I have a calendar that is shared with people on a network and only that network; it is published to localhost and I have no control over it. What I would like to do is somehow forward that calendar to my iCloud or something, even if it only gets updated when my computer can run a script or an app to refresh it, so that I can see that calendar outside of a network on say my phone. Does that make sense what I'm describing? And, if it does, is that possible to do?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Ah I get you now, yeah that seems like a good reason. I still want an iPad but I'm not sure which one to get.

Depends on what you do with it, but personally I wouldn't buy the base ipad. If it does have the same processor unchanged, it probably won't have as long as a lifespan as the air, which is faster and has more ram.

I have a 10.5 pro, but would have probably just bought the air if it was out when I bought mine. Though tbh I barely use it and kinda regret the purchase.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to get the GM if I haven't been on the beta profile before now? Hasn't the beta moved on to 13.1?

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you do with it, but personally I wouldn't buy the base ipad. If it does have the same processor unchanged, it probably won't have as long as a lifespan as the air, which is faster and has more ram.

I have a 10.5 pro, but would have probably just bought the air if it was out when I bought mine. Though tbh I barely use it and kinda regret the purchase.
I do want to get a Pro but the price is a bit to steep for something I wouldnt use that often.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
just installed the GM from the .ipsw on my iPhone XS. (no XCode, no Catalina beta, just regular old 10.14.6 Mojave)

looks neat. dark mode is - of course - rather worthless for now, as most apps still don't have a dark mode and even those that do (like youtube) often have a bright as hell splash screen.

haptic touch is ... okay, i guess?

edit: btw, i love how iCloud has made actual 'backups' mostly irrelevant for me. My iMessages are in the cloud already, so are my Photos, so are my contacts and my emails.
The only thing i'd need to backup are app settings and home-screen layouts. So i can just update / restore my phone on a whim, which is always nice.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I do want to get a Pro but the price is a bit to steep for something I wouldnt use that often.

Check the refurb store. UK one had current iPads for £269. If you think 32GB is enough then the base iPad is great. But if you go to the next step up, the price gets close to the iPad Air. In that case I'd possibly look at a refurb air or buying used

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just installed the GM from the .ipsw on my iPhone XS. (no XCode, no Catalina beta, just regular old 10.14.6 Mojave)

looks neat. dark mode is - of course - rather worthless for now, as most apps still don't have a dark mode and even those that do (like youtube) often have a bright as hell splash screen.

haptic touch is ... okay, i guess?

I think the people complaining about Haptic Touch are out of it. I actually disabled 3D Touch on my XS and ran the whole summer with just Haptic Touch, and it's fine. I have yet to find a single thing I wanted to get done that I couldn't. Does it take a half second longer? Sure. But the functionality is there and that's all that matters

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Check the refurb store. UK one had current iPads for £269. If you think 32GB is enough then the base iPad is great. But if you go to the next step up, the price gets close to the iPad Air. In that case I'd possibly look at a refurb air or buying used

That and the base ipad air is 64gb, which for me is plenty. My 10.5 pro is a 64gb and I still have 36gb free.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I think the people complaining about Haptic Touch are out of it. I actually disabled 3D Touch on my XS and ran the whole summer with just Haptic Touch, and it's fine. I have yet to find a single thing I wanted to get done that I couldn't. Does it take a half second longer? Sure. But the functionality is there and that's all that matters
Yes, and you would think saving time is the top priority of any "Pro" User. As expected we got absolutely nothing worthwhile in exchange for the loss of 3D Touch with the "Super Retina XDR" Display.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the battery life increase sounded amazing and I'll gladly give up 3D Touch for it.

I wonder if iOS getting a dark mode would FINALLY push Instagram to add one too. That app is just ridiculously bright.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
haha, Memoji stickers are gold!

GVekRqW.png

and the new share sheet that shows your compatible shortcuts is also sweet

0OHdvRS.png
jzsLcir.png

(XS Frames, Upload to Imgur, SMD 3.5.8 are all Shortcuts.app workflows)

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
iOS 13 GM is pretty laggy on my X, hope it's just the processing for new stuff (activity trends, photos.app etc)

Made a backup of 12.4 on my Mac and decided to jump in after all, my banking stuff all works so I'm good

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently doing the whole "photos curation" ... the new views are ... okay, i guess?
It's weird that in the "DAY" view it can actually happen that it won't show the most recently taken photo - which requires me to switch to "all photos"

Like, usually the most important photo of the current day is the last one i took - don't "curate" that one away.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
A question for people rocking the iPhone XR - how is the screen, its sharpness and quality? I've read that it's really nice and sharp, but I just can get the sub 1080p resolution on an 6.1 inch screen from my head. On paper it seems like a major flaw.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
A question for people rocking the iPhone XR - how is the screen, its sharpness and quality? I've read that it's really nice and sharp, but I just can get the sub 1080p resolution on an 6.1 inch screen from my head. On paper it seem like a major flaw.

In reality, it isn't. Don't believe the "720p screen omg!" shit. It's 60% more pixels than 720p (1792x828)
It's the same pixel density as the iPhone 8 was and it's a damn fine display.

I have an XS and to anyone who, throughout the last year, asked me which iPhone they should buy - i said go for the XR.
The minor advantage in screen quality (that is pretty much imperceptible to many users) and the minor advantages in portrait photography are not worth the premium.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A question for people rocking the iPhone XR - how is the screen, its sharpness and quality? I've read that it's really nice and sharp, but I just can get the sub 1080p resolution on an 6.1 inch screen from my head. On paper it seem like a major flaw.

I use it and the resolution is fine. If you plan to use it at a normal viewing distance it will not be an issue at all. If you hold your phone like 3cm away from your face using it, or with magnifying glasses, sure, you'll see a difference. If not, it's just as "retina" as all retina iPhones before it.

The much bigger difference is OLED vs LCD. Blacks, contrasts etc. That's something you can notice, especially in the dark. Beside that the Xr screen is fantastic and surely the best LCD Apple put in an iPhone yet.

The Xs and 11 Pro are so ridiculously expensive, that it's not a valid option, for me. You'll get the same or even better performance (because of the lower resolution), amazing battery life with one less camera for a much more reasonable price.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
does the photos app have any way to manually tag a person or are you just stuck with whatever the app picks out for you?

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Yeah, was thinking about iPhone 11 since yesterday. Can't justify the 1000+ dollar price tag for a better screen and camera options I won't even use. It's a bummer that after EU taxes the iPhone 11 costs a little over 800 bucks in my home country.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, was thinking about iPhone 11 since yesterday. Can't justify the 1000+ dollar price tag for a better screen and camera options I won't even use. It's a bummer that after EU taxes the iPhone 11 costs a little over 800 bucks in my home country.

Honestly the 'pro' monicker helps me to disconnect from that line. 11 is still expensive but also perfectly good/great for a normal phone for normal people.