• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard the newer phones need screen protectors. What do I want for new 11's? I haven't bought a phone in 5 years and haven't used a screen protector on those.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you hear they need protectors???

I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence and seen some friends phones that looked like they spent a lifetime in a pocket with keys. Reading around MacRumors and such suggested that somewhere around 8 they started using softer mats on glass. Is this wrong?

I was at the AT&T store today and the manager let me hold his Xs. It looked about 50x worse than my 6+. Of course I don't know how he treats it.

Example: Link

That's what the manager Xs looked like today. My 6+ looks nearly perfect after 5 years.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence and seen some friends phones that looked like they spent a lifetime in a pocket with keys. Reading around MacRumors and such suggested that somewhere around 8 they started using softer mats on glass. Is this wrong?

I was at the AT&T store today and the manager let me hold his Xs. It looked about 50x worse than my 6+. Of course I don't know how he treats it.

Example: Link

That's what the manager Xs looked like today. My 6+ looks nearly perfect after 5 years.
Based on my personal experience that's true. Used my 5s naked in its last year, no scratch in the display at all. Used my 8 plus naked for almost a year, scratched to shit on both sides with a deep scratch on the front just from pocketing. I have heard though that the glass in the Xs would be more scratch resistant? Can't vouch for it. I can very well imagine the glass in the 11 being softer since they're advertising the increased drop resistance, but of course the jury is still out on both, softness and rigidity.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If you want another anecdote my 2 year old X has never had a screen protector and always goes in the same pocket as my many sharp keys.
Looks fine.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I thought Apple literally said yesterday they glass and screen were toughest yet but someone would need to find the quote and verify the truth behind what it meant

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Just for clarification, all of next years models will have OLED and 5G compatibility.
...are rumored to have.

oh sure. But a slightly newer chip wouldlet a bit longer. still a good value but if you don't plan to use a keyboard you can get a refurb 9.7" and save money

Actually, if you plan on getting a smartcover and an Apple Pencil, that's an additional 250 bucks or so. For a device with a 2-3 year old chipset.
Personally, if i were planning on going 'surface style', i'd at least go for a refurbed pro or the Air, because buying 250 bucks of accessories for a device that might be somewhat outdated in 2 years, doesn't feel right to me.

With regards to cellular vs. wifi iPad.
I always go for cellular - i have a 2nd sim attached to my phone plan, and whenever my girlfriend goes on a school trip (she's a teacher...) i just give her the SIM to pop into her iPad and be less dependent on shitty WiFi networks.

Also, prior to dual sim (via eSIM), i prefered to - when travelling - buy a local data sim for a week, pop it into my iPad and just tether the connection to our phones. Essentially making the iPad in our backpack our mobile WiFi Hotspot.

In the end, it's like 100 bucks on a device i keep around for like 5 years.

I've heard the newer phones need screen protectors. What do I want for new 11's? I haven't bought a phone in 5 years and haven't used a screen protector on those.

While you don't need screen protectors any more or less than you needed them on prior phones - the fact that the 11 is identical to the XR should make plenty of places have a decent selection of high quality protectors. More and more places actually do the proper application for you, too.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, if you plan on getting a smartcover and an Apple Pencil, that's an additional 250 bucks or so. For a device with a 2-3 year old chipset.
Personally, if i were planning on going 'surface style', i'd at least go for a refurbed pro or the Air, because buying 250 bucks of accessories for a device that might be somewhat outdated in 2 years, doesn't feel right to me.

honestly the pricing of both the ipad air and 10.2" ipad seem a bit whack for as long as apple keeps selling refurb 10.5" pros at $469, which gets you promotion, quad speakers, better cameras, etc.

easily the best bang-for-buck you can get on an ipad right now

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, another cool iOS 13 feature:

You can set Safari to flush all not-recently-looked-at-tabs on regular intervals (each day, each week, each month).

Oct 25, 2017
So this is a bit frustrating. Hey Siri on my AirPods has stopped working recently and I was trying to figure out why that was. Well, I think the microphone on my right one is either not working or very muted. If I go into settings and turn off automatic detection to just use the left microphone, it works perfectly. But, if I change it to use just the right, it fails. And for whatever reason automatic detection favors the right.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm sure you're not all yet fed up of my Mac related questions:
  • If I attach a second screen (1080p) to a 27" 2019 iMac can I run a game full screen on that second screen natively at 1080p? I can't see why this wouldn't be possible, but thought I'd check
  • Can I input a source into the 27" display on the iMac? PS4 Pro for example?
  • If I buy with a Fusion drive, can I replace that with an SSD or add an SSD as the system disk? Not sure I'll really have a problem with the Fusion drive, but it would be nice to have the option and it not too too daunting (though I've just searched it up and that the first video I find is 23 minutes long is a concern!)
My up front options are limited as I'll be buying from a place where I have a load of credit, otherwise I'd obviously tweak the spec at build.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • If I attach a second screen (1080p) to a 27" 2019 iMac can I run a game full screen on that second screen natively at 1080p? I can't see why this wouldn't be possible, but thought I'd check
  • If I buy with a Fusion drive, can I replace that with an SSD or add an SSD as the system disk? Not sure I'll really have a problem with the Fusion drive, but it would be nice to have the option and it not too too daunting (though I've just searched it up and that the first video I find is 23 minutes long is a concern!)
My up front options are limited as I'll be buying from a place where I have a load of credit, otherwise I'd obviously tweak the spec at build.

- yes
- no
- on the 27" imac, the 2tb/3tb fusion drives come with a 128gb ssd as the boot drive. that's the "fusion" part. it's technically possible to upgrade this later but it requires ripping apart the whole machine which i strongly advise against.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So this is a bit frustrating. Hey Siri on my AirPods has stopped working recently and I was trying to figure out why that was. Well, I think the microphone on my right one is either not working or very muted. If I go into settings and turn off automatic detection to just use the left microphone, it works perfectly. But, if I change it to use just the right, it fails. And for whatever reason automatic detection favors the right.

Sounds like you found the issue, but can you just check by doing a voice recording wearing only the right mic?

Also, btw - completely different - yet super weird "issue" i had a while ago:
So, when using only one AirPod, the output device smartly mixes the stereo sound down to mono.
Now, recently i watched a Youtube video that sounded horrible, distorted and was almost inaudibly silent. Checked the comments and downvotes - no reference to the Audio issues. No meaningful amount of unlikes.
"Great", i thought, "now my right AirPod's borked" ... tried the left AirPod, didn't work either.

Turns out the Youtube uploader somehow mixed the Audio in a way where - when the sound is downsampled to mono, both channels kind of 'counteract' one another - assumedly to trick Youtube's ContentID flagging (it was copyrighted material, after all).
So when i put both AirPods in, or manually changed the audio balance to 'right channel only', it sounded perfectly fine.

* Yes
* No
* Cmiiw, but isn't the only way to 'upgrade' the HDD in an iMac to open it up from the front (i.e. remove the display adhesive and the display) - Your best bet would be to just config the thing with an SSD and get a fast external HDD or SSD for storage.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
- on the 27" imac, the 2tb/3tb fusion drives come with a 128gb ssd as the boot drive. that's the "fusion" part. it's technically possible to upgrade this later but it requires ripping apart the whole machine which i strongly advise against.
Yeah it looks like this is the case for all Fusion (and SSHD I guess) drives. My storage requirements are super low (I'm using half of a 256GB SSD on a 2012 MBA) so the space itself isn't a problem, I was just a little concerned that speed would be a problem... but again I don't think my requirements are going to make that much of an issue.

If in the future it becomes an issue I might look at the possibility of replacing it, even if it means paying someone to do it for me.

Your best bet would be to just config the thing with an SSD and get a fast external HDD or SSD for storage.
Yeah if I was buying direct I'd do this, but as I say I'm picking it up from somewhere where I have a huge chunk of credit so my up front options are limited.

Thanks for the answers both. :)

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I thought Apple literally said yesterday they glass and screen were toughest yet but someone would need to find the quote and verify the truth behind what it meant

Let's wait and see drop tests.. I would love to use it naked but you know.........

I haven't used it since the XS I currently have and honestly you can notice some micro scratches here and there... But not convinced to use one.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
When every other mobile chip maker out there can't touch the performance of your old chips, let alone your new ones, you can afford to rest on your laurels for budget tablets.

I don't think that's 100% the case; it's how Tim has run the business since taking the helm. Other companies have surpassed other aspects of products that they sell but they don't care, they just Apple and have the cache to do so.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hmmm my iPhone and iPad Pro iCloud tabs are all synced fine, but my MacBook Pro iCloud tabs don't show anywhere. I can view iCloud tabs from iPhone and iPad from my MacBook / iPhone / iPad, but none of them list the MacBook's tabs when looking at the list.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Based on my personal experience that's true. Used my 5s naked in its last year, no scratch in the display at all. Used my 8 plus naked for almost a year, scratched to shit on both sides with a deep scratch on the front just from pocketing. I have heard though that the glass in the Xs would be more scratch resistant? Can't vouch for it. I can very well imagine the glass in the 11 being softer since they're advertising the increased drop resistance, but of course the jury is still out on both, softness and rigidity.

I've seen some really terrible looking Xs and Xr phones from this perspective. Personally I think they are prioritizing softness they perform better on drops, at the expense of scratching.

When they talk about "toughest yet" I think "softest yet".

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

I just bought a pair a couple of days ago after being a little wary of trying them. I have really enjoyed using them.

I just wish they weren't so glitchy. I have to cycle airplane mode on my watch every time I want to use them because attempting to connect them throws up an error about them not being in range.

I've only had mine a couple of days but I so far I've not run into anything like that. hopefully that stays the case

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
T-Mobile's running a solid trade in offer for those with an iPhone 7 — $350 off the purchase of an 11/11 Pro.

Unfortunately trade in values for newer devices aren't significantly greater (same for 8/X, $500 for XS, $550 for XS Max).

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Man automation on iOS13 is so cool. Bought a bunch of cheap NFC stickers and made a shortcut so when I scan one as I enter my flat, it automatically starts playing my favourite playlist on shuffle and AirPlays it to my Sonos speakers!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Man automation on iOS13 is so cool. Bought a bunch of cheap NFC stickers and made a shortcut so when I scan one as I enter my flat, it automatically starts playing my favourite playlist on shuffle and AirPlays it to my Sonos speakers!
Hmmmm. I'm on iOS 13 GM and there's no automation tab in my shortcuts app. What gives?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm. I'm on iOS 13 GM and there's no automation tab in my shortcuts app. What gives?
It got delayed to 13.1. I would be pumped for it if NFC background triggering didn't require a Xs or newer :( Tapping my phone on the night desk to run my nightly shortcut. Ultimate lazy mode lol

It also just occurred to me that the swipe-down-to-dismiss-sheet gesture in iOS 13 originates from the watchOS, much like a lot of the other small stuff we've been seeing in iOS lately.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Really a fan of iOS 13's / Apple Music's new lyrics display mode. Especially since it takes the album art as base for the background 'visualizer'
giphy.gif

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: nvm it's out September 19. iOS13. Are people using public beta or something Is it working?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly tempted to keep the beats studio 3 that came 'free' with my sons MBP. I can sell for maybe £140 but at that point are they worth keeping? For convenience i'll Often just use my AirPods at home but my sennheiser 595s barely get any use as I don't have 3.5mm sockets on my iPad/iPhone. And they could be ok for flights maybe?

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after experiencing the hell that was major watchOS updates on a series 0 i am happy to report my series 4 went from watchOS 5 -> 6 in under five minutes

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Was ready to buy an 11Pro Max tomorrow before I realized it's a half pound. It's about 1/3 heavier than my 6 Plus.

Now I'm debating 11 vs 11 Pro. Decisions.. wondering how jealous I'll be of the wife's OLED display if I go 11.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Was ready to buy an 11Pro Max tomorrow before I realized it's a half pound. It's about 1/3 heavier than my 6 Plus.

Now I'm debating 11 vs 11 Pro. Decisions.. wondering how jealous I'll be of the wife's OLED display if I go 11.

Well, eventually you do get used to the weight.
It's the switch from an aluminium shell to an all-glass design that made the phones heavy again (just like the switch from the 4S -> 5 made them feel super light all of a sudden)

Personally, i'm an iPhone XS (i.e. OLED) user, and while it's cool to basically not see where the screen starts and ends (when a video i'm playing has black bars on the sides or top/bottom; and when i'm in a really dark room), for regular use i don't see a huge difference between my screen and the one on the XRs of my friends and relatives.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

I concur with what Fliesen said. Aside from the true black (which is nice, especially with the dark mode), I don't notice a difference between the Xr and X tbh. If it was the only difference between regular iPhones and premium models, the regular ones would be a no-brainer (despite what some ermahgerd-LCD-on-a-phone-my-50-dollar-Xiaomi-has-an-OLED crazies might tell you).

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely ready to go back to OLED after two years with iPhone 8. The Retina display is great in daytime, but I hate how much the blacks glow when it's darker. I use my phone enough in the bed that it's started to really bother me. I just wish Instagram had a night mode too.

I did some real thinking for a day or two after the conference and wondering if it's worth it, but yeah, I'm definitely still getting the 11 Pro. I'll agree with everyone who said it's not a very exciting update (aside from the cameras, which I'm very excited about since I take a ton of pics with my phone) and not really worthy of the Pro moniker, but I want a new phone with a bigger OLED display, and I might as well get the best one I can right now so it'll last me as long as possible.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Besides, if you're susceptible to a feeling of "buyer's remorse" for buying a premium product that will be outclassed by next year's 'default' phone, best just stick with the "default tier".

While i don't care all that much because i don't pay for my phones out of pocket (my daily driver XS is a company phone ...) - i can see a lot of XS users feeling somewhat burnt by how much superior the $699 iPhone 11 is compared to their one year old 1000 dollar 'premium' phone. (apart from the OLED screen and the telephoto, the 11 has better battery life; better CPU/GPU night mode; better selfie cam; wide angle camera; 'quick video' instead of burst mode; that weird U1 chip; comes in fancy colors!)

ara

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who's built his own gaming PCs for the last 10 years and in general likes to spend money in electronics of all kinds, I'm thankfully over that sort of buyer's remorse. There's always gonna be something new and better and shinier coming soon, absolutely no reason to stress about it.

e: on a completely different note, I finally got the Macbook for work and now I'm wondering if I should set up a completely new Apple ID for it. I definitely don't want my photos, personal notes etc from my iPhone and personal Macbook syncing with the work Macbook, but stuff like Safari syncing and easy Airpods pairing and Apple Music (if I make the switch from Spotify) and so on would be nice. If I use my personal Apple ID on this device too, can I choose what's synced on it or is it all or nothing?

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who's built his own gaming PCs for the last 10 years and in general likes to spend money in electronics of all kinds, I'm thankfully over that sort of buyer's remorse. There's always gonna be something new and better and shinier coming soon, absolutely no reason to stress about it.

e: on a completely different note, I finally got the Macbook for work and now I'm wondering if I should set up a completely new Apple ID for it. I definitely don't want my photos, personal notes etc from my iPhone and personal Macbook syncing with the work Macbook, but stuff like Safari syncing and easy Airpods pairing and so on would be nice. If I use my personal Apple ID on this device too, can I choose what's synced on it or is it all or nothing?

You can turn off data syncing (contacts, notes, photos) but stay signed in for safari syncing, handoff, AirPods, etc. All the toggles are in the iCloud control panel in system preferences

ara

Oct 26, 2017
You can turn off data syncing (contacts, notes, photos) but stay signed in for safari syncing, handoff, AirPods, etc. All the toggles are in the iCloud control panel in system preferences

Thanks! But I was just told that it might give our parent company access to my personal Apple ID and who knows what'd happen if/when I change jobs, so yeah, new Apple ID it is. But good to know it's possible.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

e: on a completely different note, I finally got the Macbook for work and now I'm wondering if I should set up a completely new Apple ID for it. I definitely don't want my photos, personal notes etc from my iPhone and personal Macbook syncing with the work Macbook, but stuff like Safari syncing and easy Airpods pairing and Apple Music (if I make the switch from Spotify) and so on would be nice. If I use my personal Apple ID on this device too, can I choose what's synced on it or is it all or nothing?

Yeah, just turn off the personal stuff, but stick with the same AppleID.
Hey, you might be able to have your employer pay for some software from the AppStore - which will then be associated with your AppleID.

uB1XrtK.png