• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't consider the resale value of an iPhone, honestly. Wait, does Apple have a trade-in program or something of the sort?
Is reselling the device easy? I've never done anything like it, so I apologize for the questions if they're like obvious and what not.

yes and yes

Buy outright and resell - Privately; to a 3rd party reseller/recycler like Music Magpie in the UK (is this like swappa in the US?); trade in to Apple. Normally that goes in order highest price to lowest price, and reverse order of most hassle-least hassle. So pick your poison

You can also do payment plans from Apple but only on the 11/11 pro/pro max. Here again you have a couple of options
1) iUP - you sign up to a 24 months (US) 20 months (UK) 0% interest finance with Barclays. You pay either the tax upfront (US) or £69 (UK) as your first month. Then 23 months at 0% for the rest of the phone. After 11 payments (12 months) you can hand the phone back to apple, they'll wipe the rest of the loan and you can get another new phone - just restart the process.
This is convenient but a little expensive - you can also choose to sell the phone to get likely more money for it, settle the finance yourself and have a little left over. Then just do another iUP with Apple.
iUP comes with applecare+ to cover accidental damage, but that does mean you're paying $200 extra (spread over the finance period)

2) Iphone payments. Similar but lower cost option and less flexible. You're paying for just the phone (no applecare+) over 24 months 0%. No option to hand the phone back after 12 months. Naturally lower cost as you aren't paying for the Apple care on top.
You can still upgrade though - again just sell the phone yourself, settle the finance and start over with a new phone

Personally I'm doing iUP for the first time this year with an 11. If the 12 is a nice new design I'll sell my phone (more cost effective than handing back) and do another iUP with the 12.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a dilemma. I've currently got an Apple Watch Series 2 38mm and want to upgrade to one of the newer ones new design, so I'm not after a Series 3. I was considering getting 40mm versions but I actually traced and cut out the case sizes on paper to size them on my wrist and the 44mm doesn't look like it would be as huge on it as I though. I'm looking at:

44mm Series 5 for £429, but I want a black sports loop band and that version of the watch doesn't come with it so I'd have to buy it separately for around £40.

or

44mm Series 4 for £379 (or £351 from Amazon Warehouse with damaged packaging) that comes with a black sports loop band.

Are the extras in the Series 5 like the always-on display worth the extra money?

4 would be fine especially if you go warehouse the savings start to make sense - £350 with sport vs £469 S5

Seems like Apple don't do a regular black sport loop, only the Nike one. So even using the studio the closest is the dark blue sport loop. Sport band not an option?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
4 would be fine especially if you go warehouse the savings start to make sense - £350 with sport vs £469 S5

Seems like Apple don't do a regular black sport loop, only the Nike one. So even using the studio the closest is the dark blue sport loop. Sport band not an option?
The sport band just looks pretty boring after having it on my current watch and I'd prefer a more adjustable strap.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The sport band just looks pretty boring after having it on my current watch and I'd prefer a more adjustable strap.

black milanese S5 for £479?

alternatively just get a decent fallback option and explore third party bands. I use a 3rd party black milanese which is really nice - black sport band mostly never gets used.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got a third-party milanese loop to supplement my sport band, although I really like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Third party stuff is like 80% of the quality of Apple's bands for 10% of the cost so there's really no reason not to just cheap out and try third-party bands.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I got a third-party milanese loop to supplement my sport band, although I really like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Third party stuff is like 80% of the quality of Apple's bands for 10% of the cost so there's really no reason not to just cheap out and try third-party bands.

What did you get? I'm interested in trying a milanese loop too.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
black milanese S5 for £479?

alternatively just get a decent fallback option and explore third party bands. I use a 3rd party black milanese which is really nice - black sport band mostly never gets used.
I like the look of the Milanese ones but it's not really something I'd wear regularly.

Oct 25, 2017

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like whatever fly-by-night place I got it from off Amazon is gone, but this looks similar: https://www.amazon.com/RXCOO-Compat...?keywords=Milanese+Loop&qid=1569676312&sr=8-7

(It basically was a complete knockoff of the Apple ones; looks like a lot of the ones on Amazon now use clasps instead of magnets or have round magnets instead of the bar.)

yeah mine has the bar magnet. Difficult to recommend specific ones because the sellers will come and go even if the manufacturers are the same. Just need to trawl the searches and check reviews. Its a cost/benefit game and there is some gamble involved but at those prices its worth a go

Oct 25, 2017
yeah mine has the bar magnet. Difficult to recommend specific ones because the sellers will come and go even if the manufacturers are the same. Just need to trawl the searches and check reviews. Its a cost/benefit game and there is some gamble involved but at those prices its worth a go

Yeah you could buy four different ones and still come out way ahead of the genuine ones.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Any recommendations for an app for cleaning utilities out of macOS? I've used AppCleaner before I think but wasn't sure if there's something better out there - in general I prefer not to get software from these free software sites and I can't find an official site for it.
Isn't that their official site?

I've used CleanMyMac for a while but it isn't free. I'm still using version 3 but the current version is version X. I can't justify the cost of upgrading.

I think most of the time just trashing the executable is enough. Any leftover preference files don't really effect anything.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I have just received a notification asking me to re-enter my iPhone passcode because I "recently changed it" – which isn't the case and I also haven't added any new devices to my Apple ID or anything in the past weeks. Anyone else? Haven't had this popup ever, so I doubt it's a periodical thing. The code is still the same, tried reentering it to verify. I have upgraded to 13.1 at launch, so it shouldn't be an update thing either.

Idk, I guess no harm done in entering the code in the settings app since it's just locally for the iPhone – still awkward.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Was it Apple doing the FaceTime thing where it corrects the angle to look like you're looking straight at the person? Is that a live thing now or just a 'coming soon' thing?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Was it Apple doing the FaceTime thing where it corrects the angle to look like you're looking straight at the person? Is that a live thing now or just a 'coming soon' thing?
I was wondering this too but can barely find a mention of it anywhere since it was revealed to be in one of the betas months ago

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I got my new Mac mini finally. I ended up just going for the i5 and paying for 16 GB of RAM. I thought of upgrading to a 512 GB SSD but ultimately nixed that. I also nixed getting 10 Gb Ethernet since I don't need it even though I thought it might be cool to have.

Mar 3, 2018
man oh man

i hate this feeling

Ive been using the apple watch series 3 for 24 hours now and already contemplating going back to the store and swapping it with a series 5

Ive already used it most of today as I have been doing chores around the house with my phone sitting on my desk. Used it to set reminders, send and reply to messages, change music etc

I can already tell it's going to be very useful long term, so seems like a good investment....

arghhh I hate this dilemma

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
man oh man

i hate this feeling

Ive been using the apple watch series 3 for 24 hours now and already contemplating going back to the store and swapping it with a series 5

Ive already used it most of today as I have been doing chores around the house with my phone sitting on my desk. Used it to set reminders, send and reply to messages, change music etc

I can already tell it's going to be very useful long term, so seems like a good investment....

arghhh I hate this dilemma

Why do you want a S5? The S3 does all of that perfectly well (heck, so does S1/S2). You're just missing out on EKG, the always-on display, and the larger screen/smaller bezels (and some slight performance improvement).

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
What the California watch face on the Series 5 display made me realize is that the biggest feature of the always-on display isn't the fact that you can always see the watch face. It's that it essentially creates the duality of a lock screen on the Apple Watch.

With the Always-On Display, you can have one thing display on your lockscreen, and something completely different when you raise to wake. There's a lot Apple could do with this, and I'm curious to see where they take it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Okay, so sometimes Twitter notifications appear on my phone, lighting up the screen and making the alert tone. Sometimes they appear on my Apple Watch.

Ideally I'd like them to all appear on my Watch, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why they appear on the phone or watch respectively. Anyone know what could be causing this? I've rebooted both devices recently to see if that fixed anything but it didn't.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I asked this in the iOS thread but had no response, so trying here - any idea why I can't now remove downloaded music from Apple Music yet leave the album in my library? I sometimes download albums for when out and about and away from data connections or wi-fi but I would remove them from my phone to free up space when finished. There only seems an option now, to remove the entire album from my library, which is bizarre.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up an iPhone 11 Pro. Needed it for business reasons, but for personal use I was still pretty happy with my X. I definitely preferred the design of the X, not really a fan of the frosted glass look nor the colors on the iPhone 11 Pro line. I'm also seriously lamenting the loss of 3D Touch. Apple dropped the ball on execution of this feature from the beginning and it's no surprise that it didn't get the traction they were looking for. My muscle memory is all off now. I will say that the performance increase in noticeable though. This thing barely breaks a sweat running games that used to turn my X into a frying pan.

Now I'm needing to upgrade my wifi router -- still using my aging Airport Extremes -- and lamenting the loss of Apple's router line. There's not much in the way of WiFi 6 routers on the market it seems like, except for ugly gaming routers. Apple really made a bad call by tearing down the ecosystem I was happy to live in.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in the iOS thread but had no response, so trying here - any idea why I can't now remove downloaded music from Apple Music yet leave the album in my library? I sometimes download albums for when out and about and away from data connections or wi-fi but I would remove them from my phone to free up space when finished. There only seems an option now, to remove the entire album from my library, which is bizarre.
I just checked and it's still there fore me. It's however kinda bugged, try pressing the download option again. Then "Remove" with the trash can icon should show up, allowing you to choose between delete download and delete from library. Music app in general is kind of a mess in iOS 13.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Bit of a dilemma. I've currently got an Apple Watch Series 2 38mm and want to upgrade to one of the newer ones new design, so I'm not after a Series 3. I was considering getting 40mm versions but I actually traced and cut out the case sizes on paper to size them on my wrist and the 44mm doesn't look like it would be as huge on it as I though. I'm looking at:

44mm Series 5 for £429, but I want a black sports loop band and that version of the watch doesn't come with it so I'd have to buy it separately for around £40.

or

44mm Series 4 for £379 (or £351 from Amazon Warehouse with damaged packaging) that comes with a black sports loop band.

Are the extras in the Series 5 like the always-on display worth the extra money?
The sport loop knockoffs are probably the best of the knockoffs, so worst case maybe see if you could roll with the gray or dark blue one, and get a cheapo black one later if they're not to your liking.

The only notable extras seem to be always on display and compass. But always on was something I've wanted since the original, so while it's just one little change, it's also a huge deal for me. I was planning to get the S4 (assuming it'd be cleared out like the S2 and S3 did before, which is how I got those), but the screen alone was enough to blow up those plans and get me to spend full price.

Course ymmv with the screen. You've been using the S2 already apparently, so judge for yourself whether the screen would be enough of a difference.
Okay, so sometimes Twitter notifications appear on my phone, lighting up the screen and making the alert tone. Sometimes they appear on my Apple Watch.

Ideally I'd like them to all appear on my Watch, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why they appear on the phone or watch respectively. Anyone know what could be causing this? I've rebooted both devices recently to see if that fixed anything but it didn't.
They should be appearing on both...one exception I can maybe think of is if the phone is unlocked? In which case I think it'll show on phone but not on watch, cause it assumes the phone had your attention/priority (or if you open/view on phone). Might be some other stuff with deeper or more granular settings, but I don't know if third party apps like Twitter have that.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just checked and it's still there fore me. It's however kinda bugged, try pressing the download option again. Then "Remove" with the trash can icon should show up, allowing you to choose between delete download and delete from library. Music app in general is kind of a mess in iOS 13.

Thanks I'll try this.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Is there a way to save selfies the way how they look before taking a shot, not in default mirrored mode?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone pick up the PowerBeats Pro at sometime this year? Do they perform okay latency-wise for videos and games?

I'm a bit too worried about the fit on the AirPods since I bike from time to time and don't want them falling out while I'm riding, and I feel like a lot of the reviews I've seen don't really mention the latency performance.

Mar 3, 2018
So my friend got scammed on Craigslist and bought a fake AirPod off someone. She didn't know it was fake until I met up with her earlier and she was asking me to set it up for her.i knew only when it connected because it said "connected" in this weird robotic voice which genuine AirPods really don't as far as I'm aware, and also in the setting on the iPhone there isn't any AirPods tab for it to see the model and seria number

With that said tho....I cannot tell the difference otherwise AT all. It's pretty incredible how good the fakes have gotten. When you open the case the AirPod menu still pops up to show the battery levels, Siri works, taps work on the AirPod itself to pause or skip tracks etc. Not gonna lie pretty impressed

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Every now and then I get tempted to replace my 2016 MacBook Pro with something newer, but after poking around Geekbench it looks like the 2019 MacBook Air is about equivalent to my 2016 MacBook Pro, so it looks like that'd be a pointless upgrade unless I'm replacing it with another Pro.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely checking Arcade out when I finally get my 11 Pro. Should be today, but I guess you never know.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any trick to signing up for apples upgrade program or do I just do a regular checkout? I know yo can look up the device to check upgrade eligibility but I see nothing on the check out page

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If cost wasn't a deciding factor - would you go for a regular iPad or an iPad mini, assuming the major uses would be watching the entire Netflix catalog 24/7 and some art stuff with the Apple Pencil (for my daughter to replace an iPad mini 2)

I assum the size of the standard iPad wins in both situations and the slower CPU should still be plenty?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If cost wasn't a deciding factor - would you go for a regular iPad or an iPad mini, assuming the major uses would be watching the entire Netflix catalog 24/7 and some art stuff with the Apple Pencil (for my daughter to replace an iPad mini 2)

I assum the size of the standard iPad wins in both situations and the slower CPU should still be plenty?

Yes, regular iPad.
(But really an iPad Pro 10.5)

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh WTF none of my Google Authenticator accounts made it over to my new phone during the transfer. Thankfully I hadn't erased my old phone just yet but holy shit what an annoying problem.

Do I have to manually reenter all of them now?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh WTF none of my Google Authenticator accounts made it over to my new phone during the transfer. Thankfully I hadn't erased my old phone just yet but holy shit what an annoying problem.

We've had this discussion a few days ago ITT – yeah, you will need to add them again. Either save the QR codes for next time or use a service/app that supports cloud/sharing across devices. As usual Google just puts out half-backed products. I'm "stuck" (aka too lazy to switch) with Authenticator for now too, will switch to Authy most likely when I upgrade my phone next year.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Don't bother with Google now, just switch to Authy so you don't have to do this again.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, restored from iCloud a couple of hours ago and pretty much everything else carried over except for Google Authenticator stuff. I only have two accounts there though and re-adding them was fast so I cba to switch to Authy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, regular iPad.
(But really an iPad Pro 10.5)

I got my son an ipad air for his 18th. That kind of puts a ceiling on what I can get my younger child. But yes ideally big + laminated would have been good.

And of course Apple stair-stepping.... ipad only 32GB which might be tight.... but 128GB is almost the price of a 64GB air, and 64 would probably be ok...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, restored from iCloud a couple of hours ago and pretty much everything else carried over except for Google Authenticator stuff. I only have two accounts there though and re-adding them was fast so I cba to switch to Authy.

its not really CBA - it takes the same amoutn of time to add back the codes to authy as it does with google - but next time they'll be there for you

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
We've had this discussion a few days ago ITT – yeah, you will need to add them again. Either save the QR codes for next time or use a service/app that supports cloud/sharing across devices. As usual Google just puts out half-backed products. I'm "stuck" (aka too lazy to switch) with Authenticator for now too, will switch to Authy most likely when I upgrade my phone next year.
Don't bother with Google now, just switch to Authy so you don't have to do this again.

That's super annoying. Thanks for the heads up about Authy. I have like 30 different accounts to update so I guess I'll block off some time this weekend to get that done and switch from Google Authenticator.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I bought a 2TB "My Passport Ultra" yesterday as it was one of the few external portable hard drives I found in Best Buy that had a USB-C connector right on the case. I know I can pick up a USB 3.0 Micro-B to USB-C cable or just use a USB-A to USB-C adapter with the cable that would be included with a hard drive sporting a Micro-B port but I figured for simplicity's sake I'd just stick with USB-C on both ends.

I have three desktop hard drives floating about, one 2TB drive which was used for Time Machine via my Aiport Extreme, which recently corrupted itself, and two other drives, one 2TB and one 4TB which have random bits and bobs of data on them.

The two 2TB drives, which I bought fairly close to one another, sport USB 2.0 and FW800 and the 4TB drive which I bought in 2016, uses USB 3.0 via a Micro-B port on the enclosure. These drives worked great via FW800 when I was using an iMac between 2008 and 2016, but after my move to a Macbook Pro I'm limited to USB 2.0 unless I want to invest in $100+ worth of adapters or docks, not to mention having to plug in a separate power supply for them when I want to use them is a real pain, so I'm slowly transitioning the data onto portable drives and I'll retire the two 2TB drives, except for the 4TB, which I'm undecided on. I may just wrap it up and put it in the closet in case I have a use or need for it in the future.

I offered the two 2TB drives to my sister, who's been getting into video production, saying I'll gladly gut them and install them into new USB3/TB3 enclosures if she's willing to purchase said enclosures, but she's also looking into multi-drive RAID systems as well, so she may have a use for the bare drives as well.

One of the 2TB drives has clone of the hard drive that was in the iMac my wife owned from 2013 to 2017, when I purchased her a 12" Macbook. She moved over the important stuff manually when she first received the Macbook, but I cloned the whole hard drive just to catch everything so she could go through it later as she wanted.

Since her Macbook is sporting a 256GB SSD, I partitioned the 2TB My Passport Ultra into a 500GB volume and a 1.5TB volume. The 500GB volume will be used for Time Machine while the 1.5TB volume has her cloned iMac data on it, which was about 800GB, so that gives her another roughly 700GB to fill with whatever she chooses.

What's everyone's general recommendation on the size of the external hard drive you should use for time machine? I've read everything from 2x to 4x, but I'm curious what ya'll suggest. I haven't started her first Time Machine backup yet so I can still go in an delete the 500GB partition and resize it to something longer if you think she'll need more space. I initially had is split 50/50 but I figured 1TB for Time Machine is probably overkill considering her computer has a 256GB SSD and likely isn't anywhere close to full.