• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
what kind of data and how often is it updated? Eg if it's mostly slowly growing archived data then you don't need so much spare space to grow into.

tbh I've moved pretty much entirely to cloud storage but do have a NAS for local backups - but only documents/data - don't bother imaging machines etc anymore

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
what kind of data and how often is it updated? Eg if it's mostly slowly growing archived data then you don't need so much spare space to grow into.

tbh I've moved pretty much entirely to cloud storage but do have a NAS for local backups - but only documents/data - don't bother imaging machines etc anymore

I figure I'll have her plug it in about once a week, if I can get her to remember to do so. It probably won't be much data additional over time, which more or less answers my question I guess.

After Time Machine being flakey over my Airport Extreme I'm a bit wary about Network Backups, though I would imagine proper NAS devices are more reliable than a USB drive connected to a Airport, admittedly. I'd probably feel better if I was using a desktop computer via Ethernet, but I something about it being wireless gives me cause for concern.

I have a Backblaze subscription set up for online backups as a safety net, but I'd like to keep up local backups via Time Machine as well just so the data is more immediately accessible if necessary. My wife doesn't have a Backblaze account though, and while I'll likely be adding her to my account by the end of the year, I'd like to have a similar Time Machine setup for her as well.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
You guys should just use the microsoft authenticator app. It's actually really great, works with all the services, and backs itself up to icloud. When i got the new phone I just had to sign back into my MS account and all my auth codes popped back into the app. Super easy.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
How's the new WatchOS holding up on S3 Thinking of finally getting one since the price is right, and as pretty as the S5 is, there is absolutely nothing on it I need.

Also, is going from OG 12.9 to Air 3 a silly move? Am I better off just replacing the battery. I only use it for media and maybe games if Apple Arcade keeps up the pace on solid releases

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Booked 3 freelance video projects to fund a new computer. Should I do an iMac Pro with the Vega 64x or do a Mac mini and buy a gaming PC. I am really torn. Will do 3-5 video projects a year (I don't do too much freelance and my normal job has plenty of good computers to use so I have been getting by on those until now) and the rest would be VR/gaming/normal web usage.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Booked 3 freelance video projects to fund a new computer. Should I do an iMac Pro with the Vega 64x or do a Mac mini and buy a gaming PC. I am really torn. Will do 3-5 video projects a year (I don't do too much freelance and my normal job has plenty of good computers to use so I have been getting by on those until now) and the rest would be VR/gaming/normal web usage.

would you be doing the video projects on the mac mini? given the lack of any discrete GPU options it's not a great choice for video production.

for the cost of an imac pro you could get a pretty nice 27" imac with a discrete GPU for video work and a sweet gaming pc, which makes more sense than either of those options imo

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
would you be doing the video projects on the mac mini? given the lack of any discrete GPU options it's not a great choice for video production.

for the cost of an imac pro you could get a pretty nice 27" imac with a discrete GPU for video work and a sweet gaming pc, which makes more sense than either of those options imo

Good suggestion and it does make the most sense but my workspace really only has room for one monitor. So if I go that route I have to buy a new desk and move things to another area of the house. May do it though.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
If cost wasn't a deciding factor - would you go for a regular iPad or an iPad mini, assuming the major uses would be watching the entire Netflix catalog 24/7 and some art stuff with the Apple Pencil (for my daughter to replace an iPad mini 2)

I assum the size of the standard iPad wins in both situations and the slower CPU should still be plenty?
iPad is nice for being bigger, mini is nice for being smaller (portability, feel in hand)...it'll really depend on her as far as art usage though. Bigger has more space for stuff on screen (tools and whatnot, besides drawing area itself), but smaller is nice cause it feels more like a small sketch pad...if she's into that size.

Two generation newer chip will be nice down the line longevity wise, and besides general speed I think has some other features like (more?) accelerated ML hardware or whatever stuff like that. Might have little niceties over the older chip in terms of software features (like AR stuff for example) here and there.
Oh WTF none of my Google Authenticator accounts made it over to my new phone during the transfer. Thankfully I hadn't erased my old phone just yet but holy shit what an annoying problem.

Do I have to manually reenter all of them now?
I thought someone mentioned you could transfer them, maybe on the site somewhere?

Still need to do cloud backups, but similar in the sense of more limited backups (and NAS) these days. I do occasional imaging but limited and less often, enough to get a system going again quickly, and docs/data more thorough, so I can drop that in once the basic system is restored and running.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a super weird carplay issue that I don't know how to fix. Audio works just fine, but when I receive a phone call, no phone audio is coming through my car speakers. What's weird is the ring comes through the car speakers, but then once I answer, I can't hear the person at all, and they can't hear me.

Any ideas? Using the 11 pro.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a super weird carplay issue that I don't know how to fix. Audio works just fine, but when I receive a phone call, no phone audio is coming through my car speakers. What's weird is the ring comes through the car speakers, but then once I answer, I can't hear the person at all, and they can't hear me.

Any ideas? Using the 11 pro.
This happens to me all the time on my X but I have a blue tooth connector set up in my car. The only fix I have found is restarting my iPhone.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I can't add YouTube videos posted on Era to my watch later playlist via Safari on iOS. When I click an icon to do so, YouTube app opens with a prompt to select a browser. So I select Safari and nothing really happens. Any idea how to fix it?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

At the moment you can get a fairly powerful 27" iMac for like half the cost of an equivalent iMac Pro and they're not that far apart if Geekbench is to be believed. Make sure you order it with 8GB of RAM and upgrade it yourself, of course, since that's the cheaper option.

Apple 27" iMac with Retina 5K Display (Early 2019) - $2799

Genocyber

Jan 31, 2018
The fans in the iMac Pro are whisper quiet whereas the fans in the iMac are noisy.

Also the RAM in the iMac Pro is not user upgradeable.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
My iPhone X has a good crack right down the middle of the screen.

What's the cheapest way to deal with this. I have been using it for a few months like this, lol. The Apple website says 369 here in Canada.

I remember there being an announcement that other places can fix iPhones now (was Apple the only way before?)....but Ive never got a screen repaired for and this is my first iPhone. Should I just throw a good screen protector on it and hold out til the iPhone 12?

Also my iPad Pro 11 inch has the one corner cracked 3 inches in across and I have Apple Care+ expiring Dec.29 2020
Should I immediately get it fixed for the 49 bucks CDN? Or is there any reason to hold off longer.

I also realized maybe I should just be enjoying them case-less since they're already broke?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person for whom this article is pointless? I have a combined printer/scanner and there's no "Open Scanner" option anywhere in the Printers & Scanners window.

I appreciate there are other ways to scan but it's always struck me as odd that the official article points me to something that doesn't exist. The printer is bonjour supported (I added it in Printers & Scanners, it automatically recognised it and downloaded the drivers from Apple).

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to remove the music player from the lock screen on iPhone?

I have this annoying issue where when biking tap to wake or raise to wake turns my lock screen on and then rubbing against my bag or my leg changes the volume of my music in my earbuds. It is really annoying.

I don't know how to completely disable the music player from the home screen if it is possible. I don't want to disable tap to wake or raise to wake because I use those...

Jan 1, 2018
I just switched over to Apple from Samsung and I have a couple questions about Apple Music I am hoping someone can help me with -

1) When I ask Apple Music to play a specific song, it plays that song and then stops. With YT Music, it would keep playing similar songs by other artists which I liked. Does Apple Music have a feature like this?

2) When I ask it to play a specific artist, it will pick about 20 random songs from that band and then start over at the beginning instead of just continuing to play through that bands entire library. This is especially annoying when I am driving somewhere nearby and get through just a couple songs. When I get back in the car those same couple songs start over again.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Because I'm stupid, I took the case off of my iPhone XS and am now living caseless. I am scared but I quite enjoy the phone without a case, I have AppleCare+ too so hopefully I'm careful enough.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I love my AirPods but I don't think I'd want noise cancelling ones. I only wear then when I'm out the house and I wouldn't want to not be able to hear at least some outside noise just for safety reasons and stuff. I've got a pair of Bose Quietcomfort 35s for in the house.

Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm stupid, I took the case off of my iPhone XS and am now living caseless. I am scared but I quite enjoy the phone without a case, I have AppleCare+ too so hopefully I'm careful enough.
Enjoy the liberation. I'd love to run caseless (I haven't dropped a phone in coming up on a decade) but given that I'm trying to keep these phones for 4+ years and I don't want to spend the extra money on AC I will forever just deal with the added bulk for peace of mind.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Enjoy the liberation. I'd love to run caseless (I haven't dropped a phone in coming up on a decade) but given that I'm trying to keep these phones for 4+ years and I don't want to spend the extra money on AC I will forever just deal with the added bulk for peace of mind.
Yeah I want this to last a few years so I don't know still. Even though I have AC+ I'm still nervous about not using a case lol.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I love my phone case, and my pop-socket. Mostly because my case means I don't need a wallet. And also I drop my phone sometimes.

I got a $10 iPhone XS Max case that holds four credit cards off Amazon because it was one of the few available at launch that held credit cards. I thought that I would only use it for a short while until a better case came along. But it is minimal, protective, out of the way, and holds my credit cards so I kept it. I feel no need or desire to "go caseless".

Last edited:

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
My iPhone X has a good crack right down the middle of the screen.

What's the cheapest way to deal with this. I have been using it for a few months like this, lol. The Apple website says 369 here in Canada.

I remember there being an announcement that other places can fix iPhones now (was Apple the only way before?)....but Ive never got a screen repaired for and this is my first iPhone. Should I just throw a good screen protector on it and hold out til the iPhone 12?

Also my iPad Pro 11 inch has the one corner cracked 3 inches in across and I have Apple Care+ expiring Dec.29 2020
Should I immediately get it fixed for the 49 bucks CDN? Or is there any reason to hold off longer.

I also realized maybe I should just be enjoying them case-less since they're already broke?

as far as the iPad goes, i would think there's no harm in getting it fixed

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Any idea how much the current iPad Pro 11 inch price will drop when the new iPad comes out. I'm guessing $100?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Went with your suggestion. Thanks for the push. Got the gaming PC today and the Mac will arrive Oct 21 and got a new desk for less than the iMac Pro would have been.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Apple just released the Catalina GM. On one hand, I'm excited for all the changes, on the other hand I'm scared my stuff will break for the first time ever lol. I guess I'll have to resist for a week until my current big project is done, guess compatibility reports for my software should be out by then as well 😬

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Apple just released the Catalina GM. On one hand, I'm excited for all the changes, on the other hand I'm scared my stuff will break for the first time ever lol. I guess I'll have to resist for a week until my current big project is done, guess compatibility reports for my software should be out by then as well 😬

how do you know it's the GM?
In recent year's I have been waiting for the .1 update before installing the new version of OSX.

Having a working computer is more important than having the latest new tricks.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Am I the only person for whom this article is pointless? I have a combined printer/scanner and there's no "Open Scanner" option anywhere in the Printers & Scanners window.

I appreciate there are other ways to scan but it's always struck me as odd that the official article points me to something that doesn't exist. The printer is bonjour supported (I added it in Printers & Scanners, it automatically recognised it and downloaded the drivers from Apple).
I've definitely used it in the past, but it's not working for me right now. Not sure if it's cause my setup is different nowadays or it's just broken now or what though. Definitely was with a multifunction device since I haven't had a standalone scanner in years (decades?), but I can't say what's up now.

...actually reading that doc again, it doesn't mention Image Capture at all, which is how I did it (but not showing up there for me now anyway). Open that up and see if anything is recognized there.
Does anyone know if AirPlay will be available on Samsung TVs from 2017?
I don't think they've said anything. Closest I've heard from the big players is LG might do it on some of their older models, otherwise it just seems like the smaller brands are being better about older device support.

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately my Mac Pro not being supported removes the desire to leap into upgrading. Still got way too much 32 bit software I'll want to keep around.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
The podcasts app on my 11 pro isn't refreshing for me unless I open it, and I have it set to refresh every 6 hours. Any ideas how to fix?

Oct 25, 2017
you buying the new Mac Pro eventually?
Dunno. I don't do as much work from home as I used to, so I have less of a reason. At $3 or $4K it would have been a pretty reasonable decision, at probably $7K for a decent config it's a lot harder. The biggest sticking point for me is ultimately support—I was interested in getting the tube Mac Pro but the cost wasn't worth it to buy versus an upgraded cheesegrater until the next revision... and then no new revision came. Apple's got to demonstrate their commitment this go-around.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno. I don't do as much work from home as I used to, so I have less of a reason. At $3 or $4K it would have been a pretty reasonable decision, at probably $7K for a decent config it's a lot harder. The biggest sticking point for me is ultimately support—I was interested in getting the tube Mac Pro but the cost wasn't worth it to buy versus an upgraded cheesegrater until the next revision... and then no new revision came. Apple's got to demonstrate their commitment this go-around.

maybe they'll come out with a 4K version next year.

Or maybe they're hoping the 3K-$5K crowd will buy an iMac or an iMac Pro. Or a MacMini with an eGPU.

Oct 25, 2017
maybe they'll come out with a 4K version next year.

Or maybe they're hoping the 3K-$5K crowd will buy an iMac or an iMac Pro. Or a MacMini with an eGPU.

Maybe. They made the Mac Pro so high-end* that they could easily produce a cut-down version like they used to with the single-processor ones—half the RAM slots, fewer PCIe slots, etc, fewer core SKUs. But I dunno if Apple's gonna' do it. Certainly not going to be this revision.

I'd be loath to lose the integrated expandability, reliability, and ECC RAM with a Mac mini, but getting a maxed mini and eGPU is still... a third to half of the price. And I'd save a bundle on not firing up a 1400W PSU to heat my apartment in the summer.

Gah. Wish they'd just come out with a Mac mini pro. At this point they made more room than ever in the lineup for the xMac they're never going to make.

*Except for the fact that it's using -W Xeons instead of the -SP multiple-socket Xeons. For a lot of people that makes total sense as it's phenomenally expensive to get fast cores on the -SP line, but it's also just weird in that it puts the Mac Pro in a weird twilight zone between competing workstation products.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gah. Wish they'd just come out with a Mac mini pro. At this point they made more room than ever in the lineup for the xMac they're never going to make.

in a world where the entire idea of "consumer desktops" (outside of gaming PCs) is completely disappearing and pretty much all desktop use is by enthusiasts and professionals they are only looking more and more stubborn and silly with each passing year that they continue to think all-in-ones make sense for people dropping $2k on a desktop

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Add Safari to the list of hopeless recent software updates - can't activate FX Now on either my MacBook or iPhone. Clicking the Go bar after entering the code does nothing. Literally no way to access my account then. Fab.