• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I am trying the controller support on Apple TV with Dead Cells.

The moment my knee comes inbetween my Apple 4KTV and my controller no controller inputs work.

But if I move my knees instantly back to normal.

Don't tell me this is just how it's going to be, please

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I got a new phone yesterday, the XS Max, and am not sure if it was the right choice or not. I like the phone but I feel bad for saving the money and not getting the 11 Pro Max, even though t mobile sucks and would've had to order it. I'm not really that big on cameras but the battery would've been nice I guess

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying the controller support on Apple TV with Dead Cells.

The moment my knee comes inbetween my Apple 4KTV and my controller no controller inputs work.

But if I move my knees instantly back to normal.

Don't tell me this is just how it's going to be, please
Try it with the Siri remote to see what's at fault. Haven't had any issues with my Xbox One controller on ATV4K (apart from that weird software bug where directional input stops working that I'm anxiously awaiting a fix for)

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Maybe. They made the Mac Pro so high-end* that they could easily produce a cut-down version like they used to with the single-processor ones—half the RAM slots, fewer PCIe slots, etc, fewer core SKUs. But I dunno if Apple's gonna' do it. Certainly not going to be this revision.

I'd be loath to lose the integrated expandability, reliability, and ECC RAM with a Mac mini, but getting a maxed mini and eGPU is still... a third to half of the price. And I'd save a bundle on not firing up a 1400W PSU to heat my apartment in the summer.

Gah. Wish they'd just come out with a Mac mini pro. At this point they made more room than ever in the lineup for the xMac they're never going to make.

*Except for the fact that it's using -W Xeons instead of the -SP multiple-socket Xeons. For a lot of people that makes total sense as it's phenomenally expensive to get fast cores on the -SP line, but it's also just weird in that it puts the Mac Pro in a weird twilight zone between competing workstation products.
Yeah I've been hoping for a Mac mini Pro (or Mac Pro mini) for ages. With how far off the Mac Pro is spec and price wise they've left huge gap another desktop can fit into.

And speaking of the Xeon-Ws, the second gen ones in the Mac Pro use the same big ass socket as the -SP chips. Combined with the higher core counts in the regular Core chips (and increasingly better consumer GPU options) it makes me think the iMac Pro could go away, in name at least (ie they can just reuse the chassis for the next regular iMac).
nothing. I guess I will try with a ps4 controller but Jesus Christ am I getting sick of technology sucking in 2019
What controller were you using?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been hoping for a Mac mini Pro (or Mac Pro mini) for ages. With how far off the Mac Pro is spec and price wise they've left huge gap another desktop can fit into.

And speaking of the Xeon-Ws, the second gen ones in the Mac Pro use the same big ass socket as the -SP chips. Combined with the higher core counts in the regular Core chips (and increasingly better consumer GPU options) it makes me think the iMac Pro could go away, in name at least (ie they can just reuse the chassis for the next regular iMac).

What controller were you using?
There are rumored Intel -W 3100 chips coming which should fit the iMac Pro. Right now given the high price point I feel like the cheaper, better-equipped but less expandable iMac Pro still has a niche though.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I was using a Xbox S controller. When I get home from work I will test my PS4 and Siri controllers.

im so fed up up with nothing ever working in the tech world anymore. Apple Music Lyrics? Yeah they used to show up on my TV.
Now? Never.

great. Give me more features that don't work right.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Returned my AirPods. BT connection kept dropping out and the damn things barely stay in my ears. Like my wireless bullets better. Oh well.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
what kind of life should you reasonably expect from a MBA/MBP? Have an early 2015 MBA with 8GB and 256GB SSD. It's now my daughters laptop and she's just starting equivalent of high school - 3 years to university. Should that last her easily that long? If not I'm tempted to sell it and she can use the 'family' dell inspiron for schoolwork, and the money from the mba could get her a new iPad + pencil

Mar 3, 2018
my old MacBook Air from 2014 died and I found a mint condition MacBook 12" that was basically sealed from 2016 that I got at a great deal.

One thing though....I am watching a movie on Prime Video and Safari keeps giving me this message about how "this webpage is using significant memory, closing it will improve the responsiveness" what is this? it keeps popping up even in fullscreen mode and i keep closing it but it comes back after 5 minutes. I never had this issue on my old MacBook Air, and this new MacBook I got has more ram so I am really confused.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
what kind of life should you reasonably expect from a MBA/MBP? Have an early 2015 MBA with 8GB and 256GB SSD. It's now my daughters laptop and she's just starting equivalent of high school - 3 years to university. Should that last her easily that long? If not I'm tempted to sell it and she can use the 'family' dell inspiron for schoolwork, and the money from the mba could get her a new iPad + pencil

If its just simple school work, it should last another 3 years fairly easily. My 2012 mbp still works just fine.

my old MacBook Air from 2014 died and I found a mint condition MacBook 12" that was basically sealed from 2016 that I got at a great deal.

One thing though....I am watching a movie on Prime Video and Safari keeps giving me this message about how "this webpage is using significant memory, closing it will improve the responsiveness" what is this? it keeps popping up even in fullscreen mode and i keep closing it but it comes back after 5 minutes. I never had this issue on my old MacBook Air, and this new MacBook I got has more ram so I am really confused.

Have you looked at activity monitor to see how much memory is being used? You could also try it in another browser as well.

Even just the normal mac mini with a gpu option would be nice. Not everyone wants an imac, and the mac pro is way too much for the average person.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Actually ... not so much. Apart from screen mirroring, I don't find it much different to my old Fire TV really.

The Apple TV remote is pretty awful too. Way too thin and the swipes are just so cumbersome. It's too easily to over swipe trying to get to where I want.
You can adjust the swipe sensitivity. I had to to get a much better feel out of it.

All worth it for the video scrubbing alone.

Oct 25, 2017

If she's doing the usual schoolwork of papers and stuff, that MBA will be totally fine.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For iPhones/loads not getting ten latest updates to 14 - what does that practically mean? Will they still get iOS 12 updates for security etc for a while or are they on their own and effectively unsupported from now on?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry but they went backwards with the no 3d touch. I used to be able to add songs through apple music so much quicker. the new feedback or whatever the want to call it takes a few seconds longer to do what I want to do. What a shame..

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry but they went backwards with the no 3d touch. I used to be able to add songs through apple music so much quicker. the new feedback or whatever the want to call it takes a few seconds longer to do what I want to do. What a shame..
Yeah, I kinda dread upgrading to a non-3D-touch phone next year, all other benefits aside. Surely you will get used to it but it's laughable how they just outright dropped a "Pro" feature (you know, one that actually saves you time and yeah, maybe requires a little bit of below average knowledge about your "Pro" device) like that and tried to paint the shitty haptic touch as the next evolution during the presentation.

Has any journo ever inquired about it?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I kinda dread upgrading to a non-3D-touch phone next year, all other benefits aside. Surely you will get used to it but it's laughable how they just outright dropped a "Pro" feature (you know, one that actually saves you time and yeah, maybe requires a little bit of below average knowledge about your "Pro" device) like that and tried to paint the shitty haptic touch as the next evolution during the presentation.

Speculation was that getting rid of it allowed for a bigger battery.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to disable auto-ear detection on AirPods from a Mac? I don't know if they have had an update lately but they seem to be pausing now every time I chew, despite them still being in my ear. Annoying when eating a snack and watching videos on my Pro. Or do I have to disable the feature while they are connected to my iPhone and then the setting carries across?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

No idea but i liked how quick it was to do things. Now it takes a moment to bring up the tabs I need. Weird.

Oct 25, 2017
No 3D Touch is definitely a regression, but it's not one that hurts many users due to the discoverability feature, and the benefits to battery life (for users) and costs (for Apple) probably are way more important to them than the slight ding to responsiveness.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hi Apple OT:

This is going to be sort of a ramble & some questions in the end, bare with me!

I've been very Anti Apple for pretty much all my life. The whole "Cult" like following, Steve jobs being a complete POS, and not to mention their premium pricing kinda shaped my opinions on the company and stuff. That said, over the passed few years my perception of things changed especially from privacy, personal work day optimization, and looking for something that is "secure, cohesive, and integrated." I started doing research on building an android setup that would meet these requirements. Safe to say the amount of effort, and cost just did not make any sense other than moving onto the Apple platform.

So, today after doing tons of research i made the conclusion that purchasing the 11 inch I pad pro makes the best sense for me. My next decision was do i want to wait for the new iteration, or just purchase what is currently on market. After tons of going back and forth I decided that waiting made no sense, and I purchased the 11 inch 512 GB Ipad pro off Amazon and it should be coming on Monday. I'm kinda nervous, ive only know MS OS (i'm 31 lol), and Android, so making this change is actually kinda scary ( this sounds ridiculous, but it does haha.)

As what i stated at the start the ramble part is done, and now to the questions:

1) This is subjective, but was getting the current offering the right call? ( what ive seen the next version might have a faster processor, but the current IPAD pros are complete beast, and should easily handle the stuff I want to do.)

2) From my research Notability is the go-to notes app? I'm planning on doing my MBA, and writing a book I can foresee lots of note taking. I'm sick and tired of writing notes via word and never looking back at them, or notebooks that get lost or just hard to discern.

3) I take pictures of my camera, but ive never edited, which is something i want to get into, what is the go-to software for this, and specifically for IPAD (if that makes a difference)

4) I'm starting to move off of anything Google, and I currently have a gmail account that i want to get rid of, does anyone actually use apple mail and is it worth it?

5) How the MS office tools behave on the IPAD especially Visio ( I build alot of flow charts)

I have alot of other questions, but I think this is a good start. I'm looking forward to your guys feedback!

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
You really shouldn't feel bad if you didn't buy the latest or upcoming version. Apple hardware are supported for a long time, and generally still work well. I had an old iPad Air 2 and it was still great to use. There are even cases when newer hardware was often seen worse (see: Macbook Pro butterfly keyboard). In case the upcoming hardware turns out to have something you want, Apple's hardware often hold their resale value well.

If you're into privacy iCloud should be better than Gmail. There are also other alternatives out there, like Protonmail.

I'm perfectly happy with the default Notes app especially with the Apple Pencil 2.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Noooooo!

My iPad Pro 11in has a weird stuck pixel issue.
It just started today, but when the screen is dark in a specific pixel it'll flicker green. Weirdly, it stops flickering when you scroll the screen, even if it's the same color, but it'll start again when the scrolling stops.
It's worked flawlessly for the month or two I've owned it, this is the first time I noticed it, and I'm VERY sensitive to messed up pixels.
I tried a pixel fixer website, but it didn't do anything.
I'd honestly be happier if it was just dead, but being bright green and flickery is way more noticeable.

The weird thing is that it only happened after I did the iOS beta update this morning. I opted out of the software beta, but I'm still getting the green flicker pixel.

I guess all I can do is schedule an Apple Store appointment and see if the repair is under warranty. Fingers crossed that it won't be a $500 repair bill, that's nearly how much I paid for it. :(

Edit: messing with the issue more and I'm wondering if maybe maybe this is a beta software thing, because like I said it goes away when I'm scrolling, so it's not only the color of pixel that's triggering it.
It would also have to be at least 2-3 pixels because I can see it being a different pixel that starts flickering green, so the messed up pixels seem to sometimes work and sometimes not, but it's only ever one that starts doing it...

Very weird.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new Safari is buggy as hell. This whole batch of updates has been a shambles for me. Only my Apple TV is anything like stable.

TFkVTgR.png

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta clean up my Mac this weekend to prepare for the upcoming Catalina install.

Might do that, or just trash my Photos Library prior to the update and then redownload it from iCloud after the install ...

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Apple Arcade was coming to MacOS so that's a since surprise. Didn't like playing Sayonara Wild Hearts on my phone so looking forward to it on Mac.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had any issues with Nike Run Club since WatchOS 6?

After the update the app was just crashing, barely staying open. I restarted the watch and I thought maybe that fixed it. Just went for a run and it tracked it, but it did a weird thing where it almost feels like it goes to sleep when I'm not looking at it. When I raised my wrist to check my distance it would do the little loading screen, then bring up the display. But it only spoke when I raised my wrist.

Then at the end of the run, my splits were all off, lots of straight lines on the map etc... clearly not tracking portions of the run.

Any ideas?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
After years of not having an Apple device (my last device was a 2nd gen ipod touch) I just bought myself an iPad 2019. Here in Europe the prices are much worse than in the US, but with the student discount, it was "only" 360€.
I bought it mostly due to apple arcade, there's already quite a lot of games that I wanna play, and I think I'm going to recoup what I paid quite easily.
But after so many years, I don't know what I will encounter when I set up the device.
Any tips, info, etc?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried signing in to Dropbox to get at some docs we share across the family and it says 'Dropbox basic now only supports 3 devices connected to it' - no idea if that also covers browser but that is stopping me accessing my files and I don't remember them emailing.

maybe time to switch across to onedrive completely - had been using Dropbox for bills/home documents stuff as it's very convenient to have shared folders between myself and my wife's accounts.

does anyone know if connecting Dropbox to 'files' counts as a device use? That would be a pain as would instantly use up 2 slots for phone/tablet

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not just an Apple TV thing but having 'fun' with HDMI-CEC. I want to watch Apple TV using the projector, which has dual HDMI outputs. But when I turn on the Apple TV, it automatically turns on the receiver and the TV. The projector screen doesn't completely cover the TV so I want to turn the TV screen off - but dough that turns off the apple TV.

i can disable the HDMI-cec stuff but then it makes 'normal' TV watching trickier with more remote control juggling required.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Not upgrading my iPhone X till we get a notchless iPhone, it's the same freaking design every year

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i love the multiple users on Apple TV. Makes switching to my US account really easy which means quick access to my US purchased movies