• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Apple TV picture in picture limited to just Apple stuff or should I be able to see it with Netflix or plex? I can't seem to get it to work with anything.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Do I want play purchases from cloud on Apple TV on or off

why can't I bring up control center on Apple TV on my watch. I can't figure it out on remote or now playing and than click on the remote which is better some reason I still don't understand that

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's new in tvOS 13. Previously it saved iTunes accounts so you could go to settings quickly and change- but now you can hold down the tv button and switch users completely

Oh wow that is useful then.

Another moan about the latest updates - had Apple Music lock up and close on me twice yesterday (iPhone). Never had that happen before in any previous iteration.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone know why my Apple ID won't let me change my email address from gmail to the alternate iCloud I have attached to it? When I try to do it on the Apple ID website, it says "Sorry, your Apple ID can't be changed right now. Try again later." and on my iPhone it says "The iCloud email address must be attached to your Apple ID account" (which it is). When I try to re-add my iCloud just for redundancies sake, it says that it's already attached, too.

I know this is a one-way change, but I'm really trying to get off Google. I'm kinda trying to make my gmail become my trash mailbox and my iCloud be my main.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know why my Apple ID won't let me change my email address from gmail to the alternate iCloud I have attached to it? When I try to do it on the Apple ID website, it says "Sorry, your Apple ID can't be changed right now. Try again later." and on my iPhone it says "The iCloud email address must be attached to your Apple ID account" (which it is). When I try to re-add my iCloud just for redundancies sake, it says that it's already attached, too.

I know this is a one-way change, but I'm really trying to get off Google. I'm kinda trying to make my gmail become my trash mailbox and my iCloud be my main.
We had a user in here, like, pages upon pages ago, who had a similar issue where they couldn't change their AppleID's email to their iCloud address. I think it's something about when or how the iCloud address was set up.
I had no issue changing from my ISP email to my iCloud address just over a year ago.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's new in tvOS 13. Previously it saved iTunes accounts so you could go to settings quickly and change- but now you can hold down the tv button and switch users completely

I notice it isn't even something you have to set up. Both my American and UK iTunes accounts are already there when you hold the TV button. Very cool.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my ipad and been playing with it for a while.
But I cannot use youtube on split view, it stays on a floating window, and can neither resize it.
How can I do it?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
We had a user in here, like, pages upon pages ago, who had a similar issue where they couldn't change their AppleID's email to their iCloud address. I think it's something about when or how the iCloud address was set up.
I had no issue changing from my ISP email to my iCloud address just over a year ago.

It is a freshly made iCloud account so I guess I just need to give it a little bit of time to "settle" into my account. I'll try again in like a week, I guess. If it's still having issues, I'll talk to Apple support. Thanks!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my ipad and been playing with it for a while.
But I cannot use youtube on split view, it stays on a floating window, and can neither resize it.
How can I do it?
I don't know if the YouTube app can do split screen (spoiler: Google apps are half-baked hot garbage), but generally speaking you can move an app from floating window to split view by dragging it by the little top handle and then on the desired side of the screen. Generally speaking I would just simply delete the YouTube app on an iPadOS 13 device and use the browser version (PiP support, less tracking capabilities etc) unless you need any specific features of the app.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if the YouTube app can do split screen (spoiler: Google apps are half-baked hot garbage), but generally speaking you can move an app from floating window to split view by dragging it by the little top handle and then on the desired side of the screen. Generally speaking I would just simply delete the YouTube app on an iPadOS 13 device and use the browser version (PiP support, less tracking capabilities etc) unless you need any specific features of the app.

For some reason my wife insists on using the generic Google app for everything. She doesn't even have a Gmail account so it's not for integration or anything.

It drives me nuts.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Will try using the web version. But I wanted to use the app because it is what I use on my android phone.
What about the web browser? Using chrome right now (I know it isn't full chrome), but I don't know if it's what I should use.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
you can certainly have other apps on the right hand side - I do that a lot browsing safari in the right hand side with a small youtube window on the left (youtube app).

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

what is the solution because I just spent hours on Apple support trying to get them to help me do the same thing.

I just wanted to use the iCloud address associated instead of the hotmail one.

apples answer after hours was try again tommorow but it sounds like it's just broken.

can make a new iCloud email on the device and use it or is it limited to that one made per device and I just have to make a Hotmail account instead.

Id rather use an iCloud address to work with Apple apps easier.

my wife wants to use Mail but she has a a GMail account and i heard there is a issue with that but idk what it is. Maybe I should try and switch her to an iCloud email all together as well.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
you can certainly have other apps on the right hand side - I do that a lot browsing safari in the right hand side with a small youtube window on the left (youtube app).

on iPad OS the safari version of YouTube is much better. Than you full screen video than click pip icon and you can resize it, move it anywhere or even slide it off screen and pull it back on with a lil tab reminding you it's there.

it can be buggy but having a window stay when your bouncing around apps and home screen is just fucking lovely.

if in the YouTube app by chance I click share > copy > pull down spotlight after a second for Siri to catch up and it smartly gives me a shortcut to open that copif link in safari taking me right to it quickly

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
on iPad OS the safari version of YouTube is much better. Than you full screen video than click pip icon and you can resize it, move it anywhere or even slide it off screen and pull it back on with a lil tab reminding you it's there.

it can be buggy but having a window stay when your bouncing around apps and home screen is just fucking lovely.

if in the YouTube app by chance I click share > copy > pull down spotlight after a second for Siri to catch up and it smartly gives me a shortcut to open that copif link in safari taking me right to it quickly

can you double tap to skip forward? I use that a lot in the app. will try safari version though

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
can you double tap to skip forward? I use that a lot in the app. will try safari version though

no and you are right that is the feature that gets me sometimes. In PIP I find I have to maximize the window again to move the time around which makes pip clunkier for sure. Used more for browsing and watching stuff at same time. Can technically have a split window of two apps with the overlay one (I forget what that's called) and pip all running it can get pretty crazy and def pushing me towards largest iPad from now on

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Every now and again I'm tempted to pick up a refurbished iPhone X from Apple's online store, but even at its discounted price of $679 that seems a bit steep.

If it was a flat $600 or $550 it'd probably be a bit easier to swallow.

Oh well, sitting on my hands until March 2020's rumored device is revealed or even longer until Sept. 2020.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I noticed one of my iCloud calendars only syncs on iOS devices anymore but not to my Mac. Any ideas? Restarting the app / Mac / iOS devices didn't help

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Still having an issue with the podcasts app. It's just not refreshing at all and I don't know why. I have background data turned on, tried refresh every hour and every 6 hours, celluar data usage is toggled, but nothing. I have to open the app and pull to refresh for it to then update and download new episodes.

This worked perfectly when i was on my XS, but it hasn't worked since i switched over to the 11 pro. Any suggestions on how to fix? I'm also running the lastest iOS (13.1.2). Have done reboots and everything too.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder for people: If you open System Information and scroll down to applications, you can see which apps are still 32-bit and those are the ones you will lose when updating to Catalina.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Reminder for people: If you open System Information and scroll down to applications, you can see which apps are still 32-bit and those are the ones you will lose when updating to Catalina.
The installer also lets you know before you install what apps won't work anymore and it shows you another message when you boot up. And all apps that don't work will have the 🚫 symbol on them in the Dock, Launchpad and Applications folder. I cleared out a bunch of old dusty unused apps yesterday thanks to this. So many emulators. Even QuickTime 7 which I haven't launched in years. Saved like 8GB.

So long Photoshop CS3. You've served me well for over a decade now but your Java-based slowness is no longer needed. If I need an image editor at some point I'll just buy Pixelmator or something.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The installer also lets you know before you install what apps won't work anymore and it shows you another message when you boot up. And all apps that don't work will have the 🚫 symbol on them in the Dock, Launchpad and Applications folder. I cleared out a bunch of old dusty unused apps yesterday thanks to this. So many emulators. Even QuickTime 7 which I haven't launched in years. Saved like 8GB.

So long Photoshop CS3. You've served me well for over a decade now but your Java-based slowness is no longer needed. If I need an image editor at some point I'll just buy Pixelmator or something.

Hah, I'm similarly having to retire my copy of CS3 that I've been using since my college days. One day I'll pick up Photoshop Elements on sale and give that a whirl. Not crazy about having to pay a subscription for software.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Just did the update to Catalina. Had to trash my Photos library to make some room, and am currently redownloading the whole thing.

The install went through without a single hiccup, and i love the new, clean, music app.

Also, i'm kinda confused - i was expecting the "Downloads" folder that iOS creates in your iCloud drive to be the same as your macOS downloads folder - essentially also adding "Downloads" to the iCloud folders (in addition to Documents and Desktop)

Hah, I'm similarly having to retire my copy of CS3 that I've been using since my college days. One day I'll pick up Photoshop Elements on sale and give that a whirl. Not crazy about having to pay a subscription for software.

While i do use Photoshop CC 2019, i can only vouch for Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro to be fantastic software that is well worth the 30-or-so dollar price tage.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing some third-party Catalyst apps now that Catalina is out.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
The Catalina update is stuck at the last screen of the setup wizard (Preparing/configuring your Mac - not sure about the English wording). Every once in a while, the fans start spinning and make sone noise, then they calm down again for a while. It's been like this for over half an hour.

Oct 25, 2017
The Catalina update is stuck at the last screen of the setup wizard (Preparing/configuring your Mac - not sure about the English wording). Every once in a while, the fans start spinning and make sone noise, then they calm down again for a while. It's been like this for over half an hour.
I just hard turned off my machine and then booted back into it. This worked for me, but I don't know if I would advise it to someone.

And then once I got in, I was created to notifications upon notifications, pop ups upon pop ups, with all security questions and allowances. One app won't work because I guess it hasn't been notorized by Apple. And lastly, I have the Relocated Items folder to go through now.

Not the best first impression.

Edit: Can't sign into my iCloud account. Some login items are just straight up missing. One app keeps asking me to allow incoming network connections whenever I launch it. :|

Edit 2: When using Sidecar, is the iPad supposed to be the main display? I was surprised it defaulted the iPad as the main display and I had to drag the menubar back over to the Mac to fix it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
iTunes died for this crap? There's no release dates in movies coming out soon or anything. It's just done by what's popular and so much discoverability is dead for this dumb giant icons everywhere nonsense. When does The Lion King come out? Can I tell quickly like I could?

ikxHpsu.png

I hate this.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Years ago I ran a program that trims out unneeded localizations and binaries and trimmed the whole app down by a few gigabytes. Then I deleted all the unused helper apps I didn't need like the Bridge app and other stuff. I only needed PhotoShop. I was proud of how compact I made it. I hated how many extra apps there were because as soon as LaunchPad came along they were all over the place and I didn't need them. Into the trash they went and the app never stopped working. The only times it stopped working was when I updated the OS and had to reinstall Java. (I didn't know PhotoShop was powered by Java. But it does explain how goddamned slow it was. It even got slower over time as OS updates kept coming out. Went from launching in like 3 seconds to taking like 15 seconds.) In fact, if it weren't for Catalina finally killing 32-bit apps completely it would probably still kind of work. But since it is old, crusty and not Retina enabled or Dark Mode supporting, who wants that shit? lol Good riddance. It felt good to finally clean up my apps folder. The 🚫 icons helped to clarify things a lot.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if i were in the market for Airpods, i'd probably be wise to hold off til the recently-rumored 3's, right?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
iTunes died for this crap? There's no release dates in movies coming out soon or anything. It's just done by what's popular and so much discoverability is dead for this dumb giant icons everywhere nonsense. When does The Lion King come out? Can I tell quickly like I could?

ikxHpsu.png

I hate this.
From your screenshot I would guess Lion King comes out on Oct. 8th, unless I'm reading that wrong?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Going through some old external hard drives and I'm trying to decide if I should toss 'em or keep 'em for any emergency use in the future.

Is there an app anyone can recommend to test them? Disk Utility isn't really giving me a whole lot of info.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina wants me to sign into iCloud over and over until the end of time.
tslDrtJ.png

like, this part? - i kept entering my password and that shit only went away for a few minutes.
But this morning, i got a step "further" and it asked me for the unlock password of my iPad - maybe it needs this for consolidated "Screen Time"