• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
The last beta also had bug where it wanted you to enter your password for every item it wanted to update in the App Store. Hopefully that's sorted.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, can't wait for more bugfix releases to iOS 13. it's super rough on my iPhone X at times. The files app and in-app browser in particular is slow (if I want to save something to files via a shortcut it takes about 20sec to bring it up!) and freezes for seconds occasionally. Safari just froze on my as well, Settings occasionally does too. Feels like it got progressively worse since 13.1 with the point updates lol

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So, after re-downloading my Photos library, i have 25gb of free space, when prior to installing Catalina (and also, prior to installing the Catalina Downloader), i had around 16 to 17.
(after downloading the installer i had around 8.5GB, which was too little for the install, so i had to dump my Photos Library)

Which is weird, since apparently it's the same 15GB size of Mojave.

Not gonna complain, though.

Edit: okay, whatever the photos library is doing ("updating"), i'm down to 20 gigs.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In the US, PowerBeats Pro are on sale for $50 off at Best Buy this week (making them 199.99).

Grabbed a pair yesterday and been testing them throughout the night. I quite like them. Best comfort and fit I've ever had with any pair of earbuds, and it's my first experience with H1-pairing and that was so pain free, it's amazing. I don't have anything other than my iPhone that I can exchange connectivity with, though, but I imagine sometime next year I'll be grabbing an iPad Pro. :)

Really good latency, too -- there's still a little tiny bit that makes it hard for me to play, say, Groovecoaster 2 -- but it's mostly negligible, and I couldn't see a desync in YouTube when I was watching through some videos. I'm coming from the Jaybird Run Gen1s, which were only good for music and podcasts because the latency was horrible for videos and games, but those are also set up on the old "relay" format where all the signal is being fed to one bed then relayed to the other, which I think is the cause of the latency issues.

I do kind of hope the PowerBeats Pro get a wireless charging case treatment later down the line and it doesn't cost a ton, that'd be a pretty good way for me to recharge em on the occasions that they do need to be recharged, but beyond that I personally have no complaints (and that's admittedly a nitpick) -- I like a bass-centric audio profile so these are right up my alley sound signature wise.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So while cleaning out some bits and bobs on my Macbook Pro last night in preparation for Catalina I noticed that my documents folder is completely empty.

Judging by a CCC clone I have from this time last year there was probably about 50 or so files in there, many dating back over a decade, but nothing that seemed terribly important.

I can't for the life of me remember clearing that out for space purposes or if maybe it got wiped out in some errant system command. Really bizarre stuff.

Of course my Time Machine recently shat itself so I can't even roll back the clock and check, and my Backblaze doesn't seem to have backed up my documents folder at all, which leads me to believe it's been empty for some time.

Really bizarre stuff. Oh well, I can't think of anything super-important that would have been saved in there in the year that's passed since the last clone I have, since I've been using my computer fairly in frequently as of late, but it was a real worry for about a half-hour last night wondering what the fuck happened.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else have the issue where the home page dock and items are in different orientations?
I'm on an iPad 2019, iPadOS 13.2.

Big Al

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I journal lots of shit in my notes app, like lots and lots of shit, one of my documents is essays long(I do it by year). After I downloaded the iOS update last night this specific document has been lagging big time and telling me my iCloud storage is full(none of these documents are in my iCloud section). Is this just cause the document is massive or something I can fix(iPhone X I got around a year ago btw)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Really tempted to do my best ever fresh macOS install since probably 2003 with Catalina, but even with a cloned HDD I'm concerned I'm gonna forget to bring something back in.

I think I might wait until I get a new computer within the next few years so I can compare them side-by-side.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is MacBook Air'a Retina screen much worse than the one in MB Pro?

same resolution, but not as bright or colorful. most people would find it fine.

that said, i feel like the price gap between the air and the pro is small enough, and the performance and nice-ness gap large enough, that i don't think most people should go for the air

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Anyone having issues with Game Center on iOS 13.1? I can't log in which is causing a few issues for games I have on my phone and when I try to go into the Game Center settings it locks up my Settings.app and it crashes.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a USB-C hub with USB-C ports only? Every hub I'm seeing is full of USB-A ports but I'd like to plug in multiple USB-C devices at once.
hmmm, usually the use case of a USB-C hub is to provide "legacy" ports (HDMI, SD card, USB-A, Display Port, ethernet) on a device that has only USB-C ports, and usually those devices already have multiple of them (which is the reason they don't have enough 'thick' ports)

What's your use-case for a hub like that, if i may ask?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
hmmm, usually the use case of a USB-C hub is to provide "legacy" ports (HDMI, SD card, USB-A, Display Port, ethernet) on a device that has only USB-C ports, and usually those devices already have multiple of them (which is the reason they don't have enough 'thick' ports)

What's your use-case for a hub like that, if i may ask?

Basically I've been moving alot of data around between hard drives, and I'm slowly migrating all of my existing hard drives to USB-C devices.

At some point I may be in the scenario where I want to move data between two drives but also power my Macbook Pro at the same time. Since I have a MBP with only two USB-C/TB3 ports, I would have to leave out the power cable.

In addition, my wife has a 12" Macbook. I'd love to be able to power her computer and operate a USB-C hard drive at the same time.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if they plan to let third party apps integrate in the new TV app on macOS (like on tvOS and iOS)? It's pretty barebones/useless right now if you don't have an iTunes library.

Also damn, after trying the hacky Shortcuts Catalyst app, I really want it officially on Mac pronto

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Very specific request from my daughter. She has a MacBook Air, and an iPad mini 2. Is there a free (or inexpensive) video editor that will let her make videos like the Spider-Man school tv news ones - I think that means green screen over a background, and small PiP video in the corner while the main video plays (and titles but anything should do that)

would iMovie do that or need something else?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very specific request from my daughter. She has a MacBook Air, and an iPad mini 2. Is there a free (or inexpensive) video editor that will let her make videos like the Spider-Man school tv news ones - I think that means green screen over a background, and small PiP video in the corner while the main video plays (and titles but anything should do that)

would iMovie do that or need something else?

iMovie should be able to do all of that.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Been reading up on 2020 iPhone stories and man this graphic has me excited:

New-iPhone-5.4-inch-Edited.jpg

I still prefer the size of the SE, but that 5.4" iPhone is about the best I could probably expect out of modern Apple. I'll 100% be putting my money where my mouth is when that launches next year, assuming there isn't some shortsighted flaw in the design/specs department.

It'll be the first time I've ever pre-ordered a phone at launch, as all my iPhone purchases so far have been casual "after launch" purchases in-person.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I wish there was a non-hacky way to install boot camp on an external drive. The methods I've seen involve parallels and all sorts of hoops that I really don't want to bother with.

I have a Samsung T5 external SSD that I'd love to be able to plop a windows install on to play games from time to time. On the drive into work this morning "Want You Gone" popped up in my shuffle play and it made me want to play Portal 2, something I no longer have access to with Catalina axing 32-bit applications.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I contacted Literature & Latte in regard Scrivener, and the best they can do is offer a small discount on the latest version, which has 64-bit support. Seems a remarkably shady practise to not at least ensure that a product someone has paid for will at least run as before upon updating macOS. Literally every other app I have bought, since forever, has managed to do at least this, including free ones. I told them to get knotted.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So I contacted Literature & Latte in regard Scrivener, and the best they can do is offer a small discount on the latest version, which has 64-bit support. Seems a remarkably shady practise to not at least ensure that a product someone has paid for will at least run as before upon updating macOS. Literally every other app I have bought, since forever, has managed to do at least this, including free ones. I told them to get knotted.
I don't agree. The product worked perfectly on the OS it was made for, and has problems running on an OS that didn't exist when Scrivener 2 was coded. Apple broke it, not Literature & Latte.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree. The product worked perfectly on the OS it was made for, and has problems running on an OS that didn't exist when Scrivener 2 was coded. Apple broke it, not Literature & Latte.

That's fine to disagree. I expect a two year old product to work beyond two OS updates and you don't. Fair enough. Makes you wonder why every other app I own has even bothered when they could have milked some more money out of their consumers.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
That's fine to disagree. I expect a two year old product to work beyond two OS updates and you don't. Fair enough. Makes you wonder why every other app I own has even bothered when they could have milked some more money out of their consumers.
The new version is two years old, and works. Your version is ten years old. I know it sucks, I'm a Scrivener 2 user as well and will have to buy 3 if I want to keep using it. I'm not sure I will, I don't write as much as I used to.

My purchase history is a graveyard of broken and inaccessible apps. I think you're pretty lucky to only have one that doesn't work.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
tvOS13 has been dreadful for me. I've had to reboot it twice by janking out the power cord, and I've also had to set up my Homekit accessories from scratch twice. I need some stability updates... oh and they completely removed the up next functionality from the home screen. Trash update through and through.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Usual PSA, if you're having really bad problems with iOS, the Genius Bar script is usually 3 steps

0. Make extremely sure you have an iCloud backup
1. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings
(...if that doesn't fix it...)
2. Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings > Restore from iCloud
3. Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings > Start fresh

Obviously 2 and 3 are completely wiping your phone. But most errors in iOS are completely silent to the user - configuration issues, missing file links, etc. Which is why Apple goes through these steps at the store, virtually every time. I've seen bad crashes and touchscreen failures just go away.

Anyway, no guarantee for every problem but that's what I would do if I was having infuriating problems with iOS.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Usual PSA, if you're having really bad problems with iOS, the Genius Bar script is usually 3 steps

0. Make extremely sure you have an iCloud backup
1. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings
2. Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings > Restore from iCloud
3. Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings > Start fresh

Obviously 2 and 3 are completely wiping your phone. But most errors in iOS are completely silent to the user - configuration issues, missing file links, etc. Which is why Apple goes through these steps at the store, virtually every time. I've seen bad crashes and touchscreen failures just go away.

Anyway, no guarantee for every problem but that's what I would do if I was having infuriating problems with iOS.

I start fresh pretty much every major update. iCloud syncing (especially now that iMessage is included) makes this an easier choice.

harder part is redownloading apps and other setup. But honestly I kind of enjoy doing that

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the comments on the first link it sounds like it's because only the 11/11 Pro have the "new" camera app. Not sure how likely that actually is.
Well, that's one of these "that's an explanation, not a justification" things.
Yeah, the new iPhones have the new Camera app, the new camera app gets this feature.

But there's no reason why the "old" camera app shouldn't / couldn't be getting these features. (Just like the old camera app should get that quick-video shortcut...)

Like, there's no "only the A13 bionic chip has the computing power to make this toggle available to the user" - it's not added functionality, it's simply a change in the UI.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
apparently this is only in the camera app for the 11/11 pro, because lol
Major bummer if true.

Also I really don't get the multi-windowing in iPadOS, like at all. I have a regular Safari instance that I use for browsing and I have one that I use in slide-over for work references and stuff. Whenever I use the slide-over one it seems it takes absolute priority and when I go back to the home screen to open Safari for leisure browsing, it's always the work instance that appears?!

Is there a keyboard shortcut that allows me to switch between different instances or a gesture or sth? Having to long press → all windows → select is way more bothersome than it should be.