• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It could still be an app that hasn't been updated properly yet and is doing something stupid. Next time check your Activity Monitor before you reboot and see what it is. If it's an Apple app then you'll know they fucked something up, or it could be a background process you don't recognize and will have to Google, maybe other people had the same issue. But it very well could be a third party app and you'll be best off contacting them or making sure there isn't an update with a fix.

Hell, maybe the .1 update actually fixes the problem and you're not getting the fix because you're worried. Might as well update.

Step 1 was bitch on forum. I just need to keep going with the appropriate steps.

I did do the .1 update today.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
You cannot change resolution and framerate on the fly in the camera app on anything that isn't at least an iPhone X with 13.2
Such bullcrap.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter for Mac has been updated and a few of the main problems I had with it at launch have been fixed, mainly you can increase the font and icon size even more now, and it supports swipe gestures.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I was holding my camera button, too. Hoping for easy video recording.

I got the Apple 🖕and a photo series instead...

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Nice!

E: Also random question, perhaps any dev knows. I use pync to trigger macOS-native notifications using my Python scripts. Is there any alternative that allows to configure two buttons (like the mail app notification for example)? It seems pync only supports one action when clicking on the whole notification.

Last edited:

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Also random question, perhaps any dev knows. I use pync to trigger macOS-native notifications using my Python scripts. Is there any alternative that allows to configure two buttons (like the mail app notification for example)? It seems pync only supports one action when clicking on the whole notification.

Appears that the terminal-notifier command it's a wrapper for supports multiple buttons, so you may just want your Python script to execute their own shell command if you can trust the input.

Edit: I say that, because an example image shows it, but without installing it, it's not clear from the related example code/call why the option is presented in the image nor what they do.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Appears that the terminal-notifier command it's a wrapper for supports multiple buttons, so you may just want your Python script to execute their own shell command if you can trust the input.

Edit: I say that, because an example image shows it, but without installing it, it's not clear from the related example code/call why the option is presented in the image nor what they do.
Thanks! Apparently they rolled back the supported for multiple buttons but it's available in another tool that's mentioned in the description (alerter). I'll try to migrate my notification calls when I get around to it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but 1Blocker X look to have their updated app available:

EDIT: If you do want their cloud service, it's free for a year and then £4.99/year afterwards (or £1.99/month or a one off payment of £12.99 for life) - a single subscription for all devices. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but 1Blocker X look to have their updated app available:

EDIT: If you do want their cloud service, it's free for a year and then £4.99/year afterwards (or £1.99/month or a one off payment of £12.99 for life) - a single subscription for all devices. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Lifetime is $32.99 here. Hmm.
That said all my blockers are still on, so it seems my previous purchase is carrying some things over?

Got the one year subscription 1Blocker has been good to me.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Lifetime is $32.99 here. Hmm.
That said all my blockers are still on, so it seems my previous purchase is carrying some things over?

Got the one year subscription 1Blocker has been good to me.
Yeah, I've activated the 1 year trial (and set myself a reminder a few weeks before to cancel). If I think the sub is worthwhile at the end I'll probably go for the lifetime sub.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah, I've activated the 1 year trial (and set myself a reminder a few weeks before to cancel). If I think the sub is worthwhile at the end I'll probably go for the lifetime sub.
For the lifetime to be worth it I have to use it for 3+ years. Not sure that is a given. I doubt I am using any blockers from four years ago now..

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have a good guide for installing Windows 10 onto an external HDD? I've tried 9 to 5 Mac's guide and another guide but I can't seem to get it to work

Oct 25, 2017
I've been cleaning up my iCloud account this evening, renaming devices, and checking that "Find My" feature is on everything and I know it's not a portable device so it's not really useful for it, but I'm kind of surprised that the Apple TV is not included in the "Find My" services. Is that the same for the HomePod?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I've been cleaning up my iCloud account this evening, renaming devices, and checking that "Find My" feature is on everything and I know it's not a portable device so it's not really useful for it, but I'm kind of surprised that the Apple TV is not included in the "Find My" services. Is that the same for the HomePod?

well, Apple would like you to have like 3 AppleTVs and 2 HomePods in your home - adding these (mostly stationary) devices (that also tend not to have any personal data stored on them) would Only add clutter to the map.
"Find my" is aimed at tracking devices you might lose/misplace (AirPods, Watch, iPhone) or that you to remotely lock down for data security reasons (MacBook, Mac, iPad, iPhone).

With the rumored AirTags, it'd be even more counterproductive to have these extra dots on the map and in the list of devices.
Like, i have 7 devices associated with my AppleID, and they haven't even released AirTags yet.

AppleTVs are visible where it matters - your iCloud settings.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Having an unusually frustrating time with Apple. Got AppleCare+ for my 11 Pro Max but then I realized weeks later the person at the Apple Store had gotten one number wrong on the serial number. Apparently I had paid for the Apple Care for someone else's iPhone 11.

Called Apple and they sent me an Apple e-gift card and a link to buy AppleCare online but it turns out I can't use the gift card online for it like they said. And I won't be able to get back to a store for the next week.

It would be nice if they end up offering me free Apple Care or something for the inconvenience but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Having an unusually frustrating time with Apple. Got AppleCare+ for my 11 Pro Max but then I realized weeks later the person at the Apple Store had gotten one number wrong on the serial number. Apparently I had paid for the Apple Care for someone else's iPhone 11.

Called Apple and they sent me an Apple e-gift card and a link to buy AppleCare online but it turns out I can't use the gift card online for it like they said. And I won't be able to get back to a store for the next week.

It would be nice if they end up offering me free Apple Care or something for the inconvenience but I doubt it.
Not sure why you're frustrated though. I get it's an inconvenience, but at the end of the day it was a small human error and it looks like Apple is trying to make things right with you without much of a fuss?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why you're frustrated though. I get it's an inconvenience, but at the end of the day it was a small human error and it looks like Apple is trying to make things right with you without much of a fuss?
this.

Feel free to be frustrated if they decline a free repair for any damage that might occur within the week of your device not being covered, though.

The events you described sound like a somewhat minor inconvenience and a human error by a service representative.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
this.

Feel free to be frustrated if they decline a free repair for any damage that might occur within the week of your device not being covered, though.

The events you described sound like a somewhat minor inconvenience and a human error by a service representative.

It's fine to be frustrated for stuff like this. People are busy and after some phone calls, now he's got to make a special trip to the store. Time is valuable and it's easy to burn a couple hours on something like this.

I've wasted countless hours trying to get my trade-ins squared away and initial Verizon bills to look anywhere near what the sales guy promised.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else been able to get the "reply without confirmation" to work on iOS 13.2?

I'm using my powerbeats pro. When i get a message, siri reads it to me, and then if i speak, whatever I was listening too stops playing, but then a message never sends. What am I missing with this?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The News app is been up and down all morning. I hope it's not on my end. If anyone is using the Apple News app please see if it's working for you and let me know? Thanks.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Will Apple please at least make a statement about the iOS 13.2 RAM/App killing issues, it's unbearable.
So it's not just me who suffers through CONSTANTLY reloading safari tabs since updating? That's good to know. i almost lost it this morning when I wanted to cross reference two sites on my X

also sorry, Apple news isn't available here so I can't chime in

e: btw, does somebody know if the Apple (Chat) support workers get a kickback when selling AC+? I want to clarify some stuff before getting coverage for my airpods pro but might as well book it through them right after if they benefit

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This particular issue has nothing to do with the amount of RAM because it was fine in literally the previous update, but they've bungled something horribly with the memory management / introduced a bug that fucks with It. I can only assume the AirPods Pro release is the reason they green lit this release with a flaw that plagued the 13.2 beta from the get-go, with Safari in particular (but clearly not just Safari, judging by other people's accounts) being just unbearable. It's not fit for release, and I can't believe we're here without a fix three days later.

Last edited:

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Oh okay, so I'm not the only one with this annoying issue. This was starting to happen to me so often that I was becoming convinced that it was (another) evil scheme by YouTube to make me sign up for their garbage subscription. "Want to not have to search in your history for whatever it was that you were watching before you had to switch to another app? Sign up for YouTube Whatever-its-called now!"

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This particular issue has nothing to do with the amount of RAM because it was fine in literally the previous update, but they've bungled something horribly with the memory management / introduced a bug that fucks with It.

Nah man, gotta get those nonsensical hot takes in when they're still hot.

But the bug sounds infuriating, so I'm waiting on 13.2. One of the best things about upgrading from an iPhone 8 has been the upped RAM, apps rarely re-launch for me nowadays which is great.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this background app killing issue is the reason why I have to constantly reopen spreadsheets in Google Sheets... though I feel like that issue was still there in 13.1.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
This particular issue has nothing to do with the amount of RAM because it was fine in literally the previous update, but they've bungled something horribly with the memory management / introduced a bug that fucks with It. I can only assume the AirPods Pro release is the reason they green lit this release with a flaw that plagued the 13.2 beta from the get-go, with Safari in particular (but clearly not just Safari, judging by other people's accounts) being just unbearable. It's not fit for release, and I can't believe we're here without a fix three days later.
"Fine" before for you. App startup time is annoying as hell to me on iOS. And it's clear I'm not the only one who feels that way, given Apple's need to focus development on it.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"Fine" before for you. App startup time is annoying as hell to me on iOS. And it's clear I'm not the only one who feels that way, given Apple's need to focus development on it.
Apple needs to focus on software quality in general. I'm not using Apple products for 40 years or something, but I'm into it for about 10 years with macs, and use iOS since the 6+. iOS especially always had problems with major releases, but it's getting worse and worse I think. Very disappointed, the time I have to spend to figure out problems with my MacBook definitelty increased over the years.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just had to switch over from Android and I have a bunch of questions, but I'll ask one for now:

Is there a way to open the camera by double tapping the side power button? The only shortcut I could find was via the control panel when you swipe up but that's a lot slower and need an instant camera to capture my two-year-old.

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 12 btw. I don't think I can upgrade to iOS 13?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Just had to switch over from Android and I have a bunch of questions, but I'll ask one for now:

Is there a way to open the camera by double tapping the side power button? The only shortcut I could find was via the control panel when you swipe up but that's a lot slower and need an instant camera to capture my two-year-old.

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 12 btw. I don't think I can upgrade to iOS 13?
pick it up and swipe left on the lock screen :)
Or tap and hold the camera icon on the lock screen

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
AppStore/Testflight CDN seems to be down all the time over here lately. Nothing works across my iOS/tvOS devices in that regard.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another iOS question!

Widgets seem super limited and I'm wondering if I can replicate the setup I had on my Android.

On my other phone, I had an entire screen (to the left of Home) dedicated to my calendar and another (to the right of home) that was just sports scores. I can't get the same affect with iOS widgets though.

1) Are they always limited to just a quarter of the screen? Can any of them take up an entire screen?
2) Can you have widgets to the left and right of Home or just to the left
3) Is there a sports app that shows all the NBA or NFL scores at once? I used The Score for years but its iOS widget only shows scores from my favorite team.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another iOS question!

Widgets seem super limited and I'm wondering if I can replicate the setup I had on my Android.

On my other phone, I had an entire screen (to the left of Home) dedicated to my calendar and another (to the right of home) that was just sports scores. I can't get the same affect with iOS widgets though.

1) Are they always limited to just a quarter of the screen? Can any of them take up an entire screen?
2) Can you have widgets to the left and right of Home or just to the left
3) Is there a sports app that shows all the NBA or NFL scores at once? I used The Score for years but its iOS widget only shows scores from my favorite team.

1. Widgets are limited to the height of the screen, minus some chrome.
2. Widgets live on the left of the home screen (and to the left of the notification shade). They cannot be placed on the right of the home screen.
3. Dunno.