• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Will Apple do anything about paint peeling away on the sides of an iPhone XS Max? It seems to be a reasonably prevalent problem but unsure if they'd actually do anything about it.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does anyone have experience with a screen replacement via applecare?

my iphone x is quite heavily scratched on the front panel which i don't think is covered by applecare+, but my applecare+ runs out at the start of december and i haven't made any claims. i would like to get the screen replaced because it will increase the resale value of the phone now that i've moved on.

do i need to smash the screen and take it to an apple store to get it replaced or will they replace it just due to the scratches?

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
does anyone have experience with a screen replacement via applecare?

my iphone x is quite heavily scratched on the front panel which i don't think is covered by applecare+, but my applecare+ runs out at the start of december and i haven't made any claims. i would like to get the screen replaced because it will increase the resale value of the phone now that i've moved on.

do i need to smash the screen and take it to an apple store to get it replaced or will they replace it just due to the scratches?
You should have 2 accidental damage exchanges with Apple care for a small fee. Just smash the phone and take it in. I think you won't have to even smash it. Just say you dropped it and it scratched the screen. In the end, im sure staff are not stupid and know what people are doing before the end of a care plan. Just take advantage of if. I would just smash it so you are guaranteed an exchange for a refurb that's looks like new. If you take it with the scratches only, they might just replace the screen and you are left with the same frame and battery.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should have 2 accidental damage exchanges with Apple care for a small fee. Just smash the phone and take it in. I think you won't have to even smash it. Just say you dropped it and it scratched the screen. In the end, im sure staff are not stupid and know what people are doing before the end of a care plan. Just take advantage of if. I would just smash it so you are guaranteed an exchange for a refurb that's looks like new. If you take it with the scratches only, they might just replace the screen and you are left with the same frame and battery.
thanks. i'll feel quite bad doing that but it sounds sensible. 😅

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I need a new computer and want to keep the cost as low as possible, which would be me getting the new MB Air base model. Just not sure if it will last me years of casual usage (web browsing, photo/video viewing, text editing) and I don't really want to spend extra to get the Pro. What should I do, all you wonderful people?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just double check because I think the fee is smaller changing a phone with screen damage, compared to other damage.
👏 thanks!
I need a new computer and want to keep the cost as low as possible, which would be me getting the new MB Air base model. Just not sure if it will last me years of casual usage (web browsing, photo/video viewing, text editing) and I don't really want to spend extra to get the Pro. What should I do, all you wonderful people?
does it need to be a traditional computer? for the things you listed an ipad pro with keyboard case would probably be fine. it might last a bit longer too.

Oct 25, 2017

A base MacBook Air will do fine for your needs.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
👏 thanks!

does it need to be a traditional computer? for the things you listed an ipad pro with keyboard case would probably be fine. it might last a bit longer too.
I need a computer and an iPad, which will probably be the new Air or the 2019 model with A10 processor. The thing is I don't need a MBP (had the 2015 model) as long as all my pretty basic needs will work fast and without problems in 5+ years of usage. Just a little scared that the MB Air will struggle with them after couple of years.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tbh i think the $200 price gap between the air and the pro is well worth it simply for going from a dual-core to a quad-core in terms of longevity

at the rate CPUs are expanding to MOAR CORES i don't think dual cores are a good investment today

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need a computer and an iPad, which will probably be the new Air or the 2019 model with A10 processor. The thing is I don't need a MBP (had the 2015 model) as long as all my pretty basic needs will work fast and without problems in 5+ years of usage. Just a little scared that the MB Air will struggle with them after couple of years.
ah ok. as the above person said, i'm just not sure that buying a dual core machine is a good investment atm, especially with that price, if longevity is what you're after.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy the AirPods Pro. It feels wasteful and un-necessary for me, since I just bought the PowerBeats Pro this summer. And I think I like the PowerBeats Pro better than would like the AirPods Pro. But I feel like I also want the AirPods Pro. Not sure what to do...

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
8GB of RAM are fine. I do Photoshop and Final Cut Pro shit on my Laptop, and i've never "noticed" any kind of 'low memory' behaviour.

How would one, nowadays, anyways? Before super fast SSDs, hitting your memory limit would lead to data being written onto and read from slow-ass HDDs, but nowadays, i couldn't even tell how much memory i'm currently using. It's super obfuscated in Activity Monitor :P ("memory pressure"?)

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8GB of RAM is totally fine for a casual use computer. obviously the more RAM the better but if you're financially constrained i'd absolutely go for a pro with 8gb RAM over an air with 16gb

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My sister got the current Air with upgraded SSD and she loves it. She is a teacher and uses it for office, web and mail.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Of course airpods pro release and they have everything I wanted in them... except they changed the damn pause and skip stuff to squeezing the tip. So I bought them and feel so unsafe with the squeezing of the tips. It feels like the stem is way too short and when doing this to pause, it feels like I am wiggling the airpod too much and feel like they're going to fall off.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
You can just operate your AirPods or other Apple wireless headphones with your Apple Watch if you've got one.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It seems I could get the Xs for C$455 cheaper than the 11 Pro. That's pretty good saving I guess? I'm planning to give it to my mom. She currently uses an 8 Plus. She doesn't want a bigger phone as I'm originally giving her a 11.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Finally sat down to do some work tonight and launched Music for the first time since Catalina's launch.

pwvChab.png

A whole bunch of artwork is missing. Like a third of it. How frustrating. It's there if you click "Get Info" but otherwise doesn't appear in the library.

Man I miss iTunes.

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Finally sat down to do some work tonight and launched Music for the first time since Catalina's launch.

pwvChab.png

A whole bunch of artwork is missing. Like a third of it. How frustrating. It's there if you click "Get Info" but otherwise doesn't appear in the library.

Man I miss iTunes.
Mine took a couple of days and a few restarts for it to load all of my album artwork. It got there eventually though.

Oct 25, 2017

pwvChab.png

Man I miss iTunes.

I know losing column browser is gonna' suck when I switch. That was such a great way to go through my library. Off to join Party Shuffle in the "great features we've lost" cloud in the sky.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Music on OSX is buggy and has less features.

I just loaded some new music onto my iPhone this morning and there is no progress bar in the sync window. The only progress bar I could find was a little tiny circle next to my phone in the Music app. so sync in one window and look at your sync progress in a different window? How is that intuitive? And gone is the progress bar at the top of iTunes that also shows how many songs you are syncing and how many it has already synced.

iTunes was better. And syncing was better in iTunes.

Hopefully music catches up sooner rather than later. Hopefully Apple cares a little bit about people who don't buy all their music from Apple.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
After I received an e-mail that someone in Phoenix, AZ, accessed my Hulu account I'm going through and overhauling my passwords. Ditching Lastpass and moving over to Apple's iCloud keychain feature for simplicity.

Also trying my best to consolidate e-mail accounts where possible. Closed my GMail account last night as I don't use it, and the end goal is to get everything down to two accounts, or one, if possible.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any way to reduce the size of downloads from the tv app/iTunes/movies etc? Just downloaded the first two episodes of 'for all mankind' and they're 4GB each! In comparison most other downloads form,Netflix/amazon have been a few hundred MB for the same duration. I don't need high quality for watching On a plane

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
What are impresiona of Apple TV 4K?

Looking for a streaming box for Hulu TV among other things. The ability to pair AirPods with it for when my wife goes to sleep is pretty appealing.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Looking for a streaming box for Hulu TV among other things. The ability to pair AirPods with it for when my wife goes to sleep is pretty appealing.

I bought an Apple TV 4K for the wife and I last December after Christmas and it's a revelation. Prior we were using a combination of apps on Game Consoles and the apps built into the Smart TV we use and they're all garbage by comparison. Slow, unreliable, and straight up crashed sometimes.

The Apple TV was a breath of fresh air by comparison.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I love mine, I got it from prepaying 3 months of Direc TV Now but I'm pretty sure I'll buy one again.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Overkill for a streaming box but that's a good thing. It's fast and works well.

Yup, what i love about the AppleTV as opposed to using the apps built into the SmartTV is the AppleTV's multitasking.
These apps get flushed from the TVs memory like crazy.
Meanwhile, on the AppleTV i can switch from PLEX to Netflix to Prime to streaming via AirPlay; to switching inputs altogether; and it usually keeps the other apps around.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I have a silly question for those without a screen protector - how often do you guys clean/wipe your iPhone's screen? Everyday, as soon as smudges appear, once a week?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could do that. My OCD makes me clean the screen every other day ;) Hate smudges.
Hmmm - when the screen is on, you don't really see them though. And with raise-to-wake, as soon as you pick up your device, the screen does turn on. So those moments where you'd notice some smudges should be super rare.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Hmmm - when the screen is on, you don't really see them though. And with raise-to-wake, as soon as you pick up your device, the screen does turn on. So those moments where you'd notice some smudges should be super rare.
The thought of them being on the screen is enough to start irritating me. Guess it's just me ;)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I hated the Apple TV remote. Just so awkward to use compared to your standard dpad. Also too thin and kept getting lost.

What most people don't realize (because it's not communicated ... at all) is the fact that you can use it like a dpad - like, you don't need to swipe and all that, you can just click(or tap?) the sides of the touch area to navigate the UI

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
What most people don't realize (because it's not communicated ... at all) is the fact that you can use it like a dpad - like, you don't need to swipe and all that, you can just click(or tap?) the sides of the touch area to navigate the UI

Yeah I use our universal to turn stuff on, then put it aside in favor of the Apple TV remote.