• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the siri remote design is absolutely indefensible no matter how you slice it, simply for the unimaginably stupid decision to make a TV remote, the most frequently fallen and dropped object anybody owns, out of glass. that is next-level dumbass. that is some galaxy brain bullshit

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I found out my tv remote controls the Apple TV when I switch to it (via HDMI-CEC). Was nice to find out but at the time the TV was about to power off due to energy saving and it wouldn't recognise any presses because they were going to the Apple TV

Oct 25, 2017
the siri remote design is absolutely indefensible no matter how you slice it, simply for the unimaginably stupid decision to make a TV remote, the most frequently fallen and dropped object anybody owns, out of glass. that is next-level dumbass. that is some galaxy brain bullshit

yeah I don't drop my remotes often. there are many arguments to be made about the remote but I don't see how it's any more of a concern than all-glass phones.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Apple TV remote, mine just flat-out died the other day and wouldn't reconnect to the ATV4K. Even after charging it for a night (I suspected it was simply the battery), it wouldn't work – actually had to repair it. Weird. First time this has happened in 2+ years, hope it stays that way.

E: Holy shit they finally need to ship a fix for the RAM issue in 13.2. I switched away from Safari for 30 seconds and the tab had to reload 🤦‍♂️ (that's on the 2018 iPad Pro …)

Last edited:

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I've e never dropped a remote.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I've e never dropped a remote.
Good for you, mine fell out of the bed once and the glass shattered - not even where the actual touchpad is but at the bottom. The build design/material composition of the Siri remote is garbage for what it is. I appreciate the touch input and that they use glass for that but there's no reason but aesthetics (and of course easy money from horrifically priced replacements) that they cover the whole front with it.

E: Wait, the actual touchpad doesn't even use glass I think lol

Btw, does anyone else have issues with mail refreshing on cellular on 13.2? I regularly get "Network offline" when everything else works and iCloud push on cellular seems to be completely broken because of that issue.

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have experience with using an Apple Pencil on an iPad with a screen protector vs no screen protector? the glass screen protector is driving me fucking mad with how slippery it is
I've heard a matte screen protector is good writing with the pencil but really bad for watching stuff on the iPad, which is a no-no cause I'm also using at as my Netflix device

Does writing on the screen with no screen protector feel better and less slippery?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Good for you, mine fell out of the bed once and the glass shattered - not even where the actual touchpad is but at the bottom. The build design/material composition of the Siri remote is garbage for what it is. I appreciate the touch input and that they use glass for that but there's no reason but aesthetics (and of course easy money from horrifically priced replacements) that they cover the whole front with it.

We use ours while on the elliptical machine every day. I'd say every member of my family has dropped it while trying to pick it up during exercise. It falls down 4-5 feet to the metal tracks, or bounces around as it goes down the incline. We've never broken one. I agree that the form factor is not ideal but I think you are overstating the break issue.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I received an e-mail offer from Apple that says I can trade in my iPhone 7 Plus (128 GB) for $200 off their newest iPhone.

Normally I would sell my old iPhones on eBay, but looking at current seller prices it seems to be around the same amount Apple is offering for the trade-in. Between that and the free year of Apple+, I'm considering it.

I just wanted opinions on whether it's worth it and if the new iPhone is a considerable upgrade, particularly with battery life (it would also be nice if it weighed less: with case included my iPhone 7 often drags my shorts down).

Also I often get confused on the difference between selecting a phone with carrier vs unlocked. I'm part of my family's ATT plan, so I tend to get different offers from retailers on what type of plan I need to get or what needs to get renewed, etc.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019

Btw, does anyone else have issues with mail refreshing on cellular on 13.2? I regularly get "Network offline" when everything else works and iCloud push on cellular seems to be completely broken because of that issue.
Be careful with your tech. I've literally never broken anything. Be mindful.

the build and design is wonderful and shouldn't be changed for clumsy people.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just wish my TV had the feature that let me control HDMI-connected devices with the TV remote. I'd never use the Apple Remote at that point, not that I have a problem with it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I received an e-mail offer from Apple that says I can trade in my iPhone 7 Plus (128 GB) for $200 off their newest iPhone.

Normally I would sell my old iPhones on eBay, but looking at current seller prices it seems to be around the same amount Apple is offering for the trade-in. Between that and the free year of Apple+, I'm considering it.

I just wanted opinions on whether it's worth it and if the new iPhone is a considerable upgrade, particularly with battery life (it would also be nice if it weighed less: with case included my iPhone 7 often drags my shorts down).

Also I often get confused on the difference between selecting a phone with carrier vs unlocked. I'm part of my family's ATT plan, so I tend to get different offers from retailers on what type of plan I need to get or what needs to get renewed, etc.
The 7 was the last "mostly aluminum" iPhone, before they switched to glass backs.

i think not even the 11 pr (the smallest 11 model) is gonna be lighter than your 7+

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Unlocked just means you can attach it to any Carrier. It doesn't come out of the box locked to a carrier. In the past there were phones that were missing LTE bands and such based on carriers but that's not true now. I always go unlocked when possible.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have a great design and not worry about clumsy people.

take care of your expensive things.

It's a remote, a remote is like the most disposable electronic that exists and generally exist in shared spaces. Also great design and durability are not mutually exclusive, as someone who lives in an apartment with hard wood floors I will skip on Apple TV because that remote will inevitably fall on the floor and crack and the idea of getting a case for a remote is insane to me

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
It's a remote, a remote is like the most disposable electronic that exists and generally exist in shared spaces. Also great design and durability are not mutually exclusive, as someone who lives in an apartment with hard wood floors I will skip on Apple TV because that remote will inevitably fall on the floor and crack and the idea of getting a case for a remote is insane to me
that's exactly how mine shattered. Dropped out of bed on my wooden floor.
But I guess I should have carefully considered where to place my tv remote so that doesn't happen, huh? most delusional thing I've read all day.

they can basically fix the thing while keeping the design by removing the absolutely useless glass sheet on the bottom half. Would be perfectly durable and still slick looking without compromising any functionality.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

fwiw, I've had the "new" appleTV since the 1080p version released and I drop that remote like crazy. Like, from couch armrest height.
I wasn't even aware it was considered "fragile".

sure, it's got glass parts, but at the same time, it's so light, the kinetic energy from dropping it would be relatively small.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone here ever tried using the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Jack adapter for their 2018 iPad Pro? I read all of the horrifying reviews on Apple.com and should not have purchased it, but I did anyways just to try, but it absolutely does not work. It just continues to play music through my speakers. Do any of you have any suggestions for good 3rd Party USB-C to 3.5mm adapters that aren't built terribly?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
fwiw, I've had the "new" appleTV since the 1080p version released and I drop that remote like crazy. Like, from couch armrest height.
I wasn't even aware it was considered "fragile".

sure, it's got glass parts, but at the same time, it's so light, the kinetic energy from dropping it would be relatively small.
I literally launch my remote from my bed sheets to the floor all the time. I hadn't even noticed it was glass instead of plastic. I'd say its been plenty durable for me over the years as well.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Great remote actually. Keep it out of careless hands and children.
It's actually a piece of shit remote. Any remote that comes with a device that can't be comprehended easily by everyone is a poorly designed remote. Watching my grandparents try to use one is both hilarious and sad. Sad because I had to return their Apple TV because the remote was impossible for them to use because they dont have the hand dexterity required to navigate properly. And as others said, making it out of glass is just pure stupid.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here ever tried using the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Jack adapter for their 2018 iPad Pro? I read all of the horrifying reviews on Apple.com and should not have purchased it, but I did anyways just to try, but it absolutely does not work. It just continues to play music through my speakers. Do any of you have any suggestions for good 3rd Party USB-C to 3.5mm adapters that aren't built terribly?
Uh it works. Have you tried selecting the audio output?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unlocked just means you can attach it to any Carrier. It doesn't come out of the box locked to a carrier. In the past there were phones that were missing LTE bands and such based on carriers but that's not true now. I always go unlocked when possible.

So if I pick the ATT option am I going to have to commit to another two years of service like before?

Is Apple the only one doing a trade-in promotion and/or are they the best option to get the 11?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it is. You buy a cheap watch, the glass scratches easily. You buy a cheap dog lead, it rubs against a lamppost and frays to tatters immediately.

An Apple product should be a BMW, not a Lamborghini.
But you just said the more expensive = should be more durable, and if you know anybody who has a Lambo, sturdy and robust they are not.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, i just wanna clarify that, while i think that it's no big deal that the AppleTV remote is partly made of glass, i don't side with the "It's a premium remote, keep it from dirty peasant hands, lock it in a cabinet, like your fine jewellery" sentiment.

Also, it's absolutely flawed remote from a usability standpoint, but i never considered it fragile.
Apple just won't make an Amazon FireTV like plastic remote. Of course they want their remote to look and feel kinda premium, since the device you're controlling with it (the AppleTV) is either hidden away altogether, or just looks like the most unexciting little black brick.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
But you just said the more expensive = should be more durable, and if you know anybody who has a Lambo, sturdy and robust they are not.
Yeah I messed up my point a bit. Apple should be BMW - premium quality, reliable as hell. Not Lambo - a brittle piece of jewellery you only use for an hour in Sundays when it isn't raining.

edit: and I'm not criticising or defending the Apple remote. I don't have one. I just think all premium consumer tech should be durable.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
The base 2019 iPad - hot or not for watching videos and browsing the web? Or should I get the new Air? Mind you, that viewing videos, photos, Netflix and browsing the web with occasional app/game are the only things we as family use our iPad.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here's the thing about the apple tv remote breaking discussion - literally no other remote control for any other TV device on earth would even warrant this conversation because they aren't made of something that will shatter. in this regard the apple tv remote is, as objectively as can be, absolutely worst-in-class. (and yes, the trackpad part is also glass, just with a matte texture. but no less shatter-prone.)

it's also not at all ergonomic, it's tiny and easy to lose in couch cushions/bedsheets/etc, the trackpad is imprecise for navigation (and the whole "tap the edges" trick just makes it a less-good directional pad), there is literally nothing positive i have to say about this piece of shit other than the battery lasts months on a charge

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
here's the thing about the apple tv remote breaking discussion - literally no other remote control for any other TV device on earth would even have this conversation because they aren't made of something that will shatter. in this regard the apple tv remote is, as objectively as can be, absolutely worst-in-class.

(and yes, the trackpad part is also glass, just with a matte texture. but no less shatter-prone.)
We can talk about how my Samsung TV remote keeps disconnecting from the TV randomly, needing its battery's removed and reinserted to start working. If you really want?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The base 2019 iPad - hot or not for watching videos and browsing the web? Or should I get the new Air? Mind you, that viewing videos, photos, Netflix and browsing the web with occasional app/game are the only things we as family use our iPad.

Should be fine for that purpose

here's the thing about the apple tv remote breaking discussion - literally no other remote control for any other TV device on earth would even warrant this conversation because they aren't made of something that will shatter. in this regard the apple tv remote is, as objectively as can be, absolutely worst-in-class. (and yes, the trackpad part is also glass, just with a matte texture. but no less shatter-prone.)

it's also not at all ergonomic, it's tiny and easy to lose in couch cushions/bedsheets/etc, the trackpad is imprecise for navigation (and the whole "tap the edges" trick just makes it a less-good directional pad), there is literally nothing positive i have to say about this piece of shit other than the battery lasts months on a charge
It's a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none remote. I think they were aiming for it to (also) be a wii-mote style game controller. For that purpose, the trackpad and its lightness would have been an asset - but alas, the lack of dev support kinda killed that idea. So now it's a mediocre remote for a great app / streaming box.

Also, i do believe one of the reasons apple chose glass isn't just looks, but also 'feel'. The old aluminum remote always felt cold. Plastic feels cheap and flimsy. It might not be 'ergonomic', but the AppleTV remote feels great.
No sources / receipts on that, but it would certainly be a very Jony Ive thing to do, choosing materials because of their 'handfeel'.

We can talk about how my Samsung TV remote keeps disconnecting from the TV randomly, needing its battery's removed and reinserted to start working. If you really want?

Samsung bundles a second remote with their TVs that does this as well (or at least they did when i got my parents their new TV) - but their UI is not as elegantly built around cursor controls like the LG's - (Tizen is still a mostly d-pad oriented UI)

It's really absurd that the AppleTV remote has a gyroscope, the AppleTV UI is very 'icon' and 'button' based, yet they never implemented a gyro cursor...

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It's really absurd that the AppleTV remote has a gyroscope, the AppleTV UI is very 'icon' and 'button' based, yet they never implemented a gyro cursor...

Because the only reason it has a gyroscope is because Apple thought it would make a great casual gaming device and they wanted that sweet Asphalt action on Apple TV heh.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Wife vetoed the Homepod purchase, and she's not wrong, really. I have a decent set of Klipsch speakers that I don't use because my Airport Express is from 2005 and frankly unreliable. I'm better off putting that $200 into a new Airport Express instead. (Or taking my parents' and replacing it with a standard router, as they don't use any Airport-specific features.)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Because the only reason it has a gyroscope is because Apple thought it would make a great casual gaming device and they wanted that sweet Asphalt action on Apple TV heh.
That + Apple's refusal to add cursors to any iOS (or its forks) based devices. Unless it's for accessibility.

Boy, the AppleTV would be so much better with a cursor. Like, imagine browsing the netflix app, hovering over a certain carousel type row of icons, doing the swipe to move the row and then just clicking the icon you want.

... like, the fact that it's almost faster to use your iPhone for typing because the 'on screen keyboard' (which isn't even a keyboard, but a fucking row of letters to pick from, like in 1980s Arcade machines...) is just shit.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that the voice search on Apple TV is far better for me than on the FireStick. A lot more accurate.
it's great, but it fails a lot with names / words that are different to your language setting ... like we wanted to watch "Coco" for Halloween and it kept thinking i said "Koko", even though there's nothing called "Koko" on netflix...

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Great remote actually. Keep it out of careless hands and children.

Yes I'm sure parents love telling their kids not to use the fancy apple TV remote because it's fragile and expensive, unlike legit any other basic remote in existence lmao.

Get a reality check dawg Apple needs to fix that shit if they want Apple TV to be a competitive smart TV platform.