• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Yeah, that sucks. I'm not too deep into audio, are t there any other options to connect the speakers? Like the new Sonos Amp?

I set an alert for Apple's refurbished listing on the Airport Express, but I might just end up buying a used one on eBay.

I have a first generation Airport Express but it occasionally drops its signal for no apparent reason and on top of that I can no longer change any of its settings as the current airport utility doesn't support it.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So I am planning on buying an otg adapter for keyboards and usb sticks, but I found out that most of the simple ones (only one female usb a) have very bad reviews on amazon.
Anyone know why?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The base 2019 iPad - hot or not for watching videos and browsing the web? Or should I get the new Air? Mind you, that viewing videos, photos, Netflix and browsing the web with occasional app/game are the only things we as family use our iPad.
I have the Pro and my dad just got this one, it's a pretty nice device. I do think it should have TrueTone though.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The super exotic task of saving a file to Files.app regularly breaks for me (error message translates to "Can't open file name") on a regular basis. Restarts only fix it temporarily, happens for on-device and iCloud storage. Shit's infuriating. I hope 13.3 fixes this amongst some of the other burning issues.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The base 2019 iPad - hot or not for watching videos and browsing the web? Or should I get the new Air? Mind you, that viewing videos, photos, Netflix and browsing the web with occasional app/game are the only things we as family use our iPad.

totally hot. If you wanted to play a lot of the latest demanding games or use it a lot for art I'd maybe recommend the air (faster processor for games, laminated screen for less pencil parallax)

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure if I should buy a second HomePod. The $199 price at Best Buy is very tempting... My main reservation is that it doesn't have an Audio input cable. I usually only play music from my phone or my computer, but what happens when Apple stops supporting Airplay2? Is my HomePod speaker just a hunk of junk at that point?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I am not sure if I should buy a second HomePod. The $199 price at Best Buy is very tempting... My main reservation is that it doesn't have an Audio input cable. I usually only play music from my phone or my computer, but what happens when Apple stops supporting Airplay2? Is my HomePod speaker just a hunk of junk at that point?
Airplay 1 is still supported no?
I don't think that worry is a big deal.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded my ATV to the 4K version, and it looks great on my TV. Only issue though, is that whenever I play ATV+ content it massively drops the brightness of the whole output. It doesn't do this for any other content like Netflix or Prime Video. Anyone know what setting could be causing this? I'm guessing it's HDR related.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I upgraded my ATV to the 4K version, and it looks great on my TV. Only issue though, is that whenever I play ATV+ content it massively drops the brightness of the whole output. It doesn't do this for any other content like Netflix or Prime Video. Anyone know what setting could be causing this? I'm guessing it's HDR related.
How old is your TV? My sony for instance, doesn't do "real" 4K HDR; It just got the feature as an update. The same "washed out/dim" look happens on my tv. I just switched it to 4K SDR on my Apple TV and it fixed my problem.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

What are your video settings for output, frame rate and dynamic range on ATV?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I've been using AirPlay for over a decade. I had an old Airport Express with an optical out that went to a receiver, got a Pioneer A4 AirPlay speaker, and had a separate receiver with built in AirPlay.

It's been consistently solid, everything still works (well the Express was retired due to being old networking and having AirPlay covered via said speaker and receiver) even without updates from the manufacturers. I severely doubt the AirPod will stop being supported/functioning at any point that you have it and care about it.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
How old is your TV? My sony for instance, doesn't do "real" 4K HDR; It just got the feature as an update. The same "washed out/dim" look happens on my tv. I just switched it to 4K SDR on my Apple TV and it fixed my problem.
It's only about 2 years old. Can't remember if HDR was patched in. It's odd though cos like I said it's only ATV+ content that it does it with. Netflix and Prime's HDR it handles without issue.

What are your video settings for output, frame rate and dynamic range on ATV?
50Hz HDR, 4:2:0 Chroma, not matching content (I did test this though and it made no difference).

EDIT: Actually on a closer look it is doing the same for Prime's HDR. Guess it's the TV doing fake HDR. Will switch to SDR instead, still looks good!

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It's only about 2 years old. Can't remember if HDR was patched in. It's odd though cos like I said it's only ATV+ content that it does it with. Netflix and Prime's HDR it handles without issue.

50Hz HDR, 4:2:0 Chroma, not matching content (I did test this though and it made no difference).

EDIT: Actually on a closer look it is doing the same for Prime's HDR. Guess it's the TV doing fake HDR. Will switch to SDR instead, still looks good!
Ah yeah, you'll want to have the regular video output of the ATV to be SDR 60Hz (50 in Europe?).

Then have the ATV match the frame rate and and dynamic range from there. If the TV doesn't handle HDR well then leave it off.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah, you'll want to have the regular video output of the ATV to be SDR 60Hz (50 in Europe?).

Then have the ATV match the frame rate and and dynamic range from there. If the TV doesn't handle HDR well then leave it off.
Ah, gotcha! Yeah I was misunderstanding how the 'Match contents' settings worked. Got it perfect now! Thanks!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Are beats studio3 noise canceling headphones worth $200? They are $150 off at Best Buy. Normally $350.
They are alright. I was shocked by the plasticy build when I got mine in 2017/2018(?) but they've held up pretty well (I wear them daily for about three hours). Paid about 200 € for them, I guess I got my moneys worth. My major gripe is that they use the battery even when connected via wire. I've heard other wireless headphones can switch to that as the electricity source.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of random questions.

1: My iPhone today would not download the software update and would not download any app updates. It would show them but never initialize the downloads. I fixed this by doing a hard reset, but any idea why this might have happened? No network changes on my end, and I could use wifi just fine on the phone.

2: Is the option to have Siri announce messages still gone? I can't find the option anymore and it doesn't do it like when I was on the beta (Yes, I'm using headphones with the H1 chip).

3: Does anyone use Hazel to upload files? If I use Transmit to upload a file to a server, it takes a few minutes. If I do it in a Hazel rule, it takes a day. Both use SFTP to do the upload. Any alternatives to do speedier automatic uploads using Hazel rules?

4: Is anyone using Parallels 15 for gaming? I want to know if the Metal and DirectX 11 support is worth the upgrade.

5: Is Zeyphersan ok? Haven't seen them post in months.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in another thread but it may be dead....anyways.. I'm in the market for a watch. If the series 4 44mm can be had for 100$ less than the series 5. Is the 5 a better buy still or should I get a 4? I've read that the battery life for the 5 even with always on, off is less than the 4.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
For current and retired US military personnel, Shopmyexchange has the current iPad Air 64 gig wifi model for 289 today plus they also have a 10 percent off coupon that stacks (you can find the coupon on Slickdeals.net). Free shipping and no taxes means I got it for $260.10. Been wanting an iPad for awhile but didnt want a non-laminated screen and I didnt want to pay more than 400. So this worked out well for me.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Posted this in another thread but it may be dead....anyways.. I'm in the market for a watch. If the series 4 44mm can be had for 100$ less than the series 5. Is the 5 a better buy still or should I get a 4? I've read that the battery life for the 5 even with always on, off is less than the 4.
unless you really need the always on screen (which seems to be ever so slightly detrimental to battery life - depending on usage patterns), the 4 and the 5 are pretty much identical - functionality wise.

I'd go for the 4. Really happy with mine.
The 3 has a different (smaller) display and won't get access to the same watch faces / complications as the 4, 5 - and likely - series 6.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I'm regretting the Catalina update, even iMovie wouldn't work properly until I erased and reinstalled it. And security pop-ups every time I open an app asking for folder access. All for iTunes being separated into three apps and a sidecar mode I'll never bother to use.

At least dark mode isn't complete shit anymore I guess.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, im definitely riding that tvOS bets train again. Thank god! Sacrificing Next Up for the random trailers was such a dumb move (from a user perspective).

I am SO happy about that change for tvOS 13.3.
The trailers certainly look pretty running behind the icons, but I am definitely toggling that back to showing Up Next as soon as possible. It's just far more useful.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I posted this here, but dilemma with Apple TV (the device) watching TV content purchased via iTunes.

We bought some "Box Sets" for things like Modern Family (S1-9).

When we go to watch thru the TV app it can't find it. Searches take us to individual seasons where we are offered the opportunity to buy seasons or episodes. It seems to know nothing about our set. Even worse, the S1-9 set has been replace by a S1-10 set. We used to short cut this process by going thru the store to the set and watching from there.

To view we wind up having to dig thru our "Purchased" items to find it.. and then it's not presented season by season, it's just a long-ass list of episodes. We have to scroll through all of them (hundreds at this point) to get to resume.

This "next up" might help, but am I crazy? Is there something I'm missing. It's a horrible non-Apple-like experience.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what would cause random apps to get stuck for hours (11pm to 7.20am – basically when I woke up and started using the phone) in background activity? I haven't opened any of these on my phone in a while, they haven't received an AppStore update in the past days either from what I could tell and for the apps that have a background refresh option, I had turned it off (I'm pretty strict about this for apps that I don't use regularly). I woke up to a considerably discharged battery, that's why I checked.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm regretting the Catalina update, even iMovie wouldn't work properly until I erased and reinstalled it. And security pop-ups every time I open an app asking for folder access. All for iTunes being separated into three apps and a sidecar mode I'll never bother to use.

At least dark mode isn't complete shit anymore I guess.
Everything is running fine ever since updating to the supplemental update

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

does a DJ like Calvin Harris really need a Cheese Grater Mac Pro for any reason at all?

The guy has money to burn and is putting on a huge show and wants the most speed possible, speed must be a lot more important to him that anything else.

but is a workstation like the New Mac Pro really going to see any real world performance gains over using a maxed out MacBook Pro 15" for a DJ Doing a show? Or in this case a DJ in a music studio?

I honestly know nothing about how DJ software works these days.

Oct 25, 2017
does a DJ like Calvin Harris really need a Cheese Grater Mac Pro for any reason at all?

The guy has money to burn and is putting on a huge show and wants the most speed possible, speed must be a lot more important to him that anything else.

but is a workstation like the New Mac Pro really going to see any real world performance gains over using a maxed out MacBook Pro 15" for a DJ Doing a show? Or in this case a DJ in a music studio?

I honestly know nothing about how DJ software works these days.

Probably not. Unless you're layering a million effects onto each track, it's hard to actually choke any modern computer with music production. I can run 120 virtual instruments on my old cheesegrater without any problems.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I'm having the worst luck with my iPad Pro 11.

First it got a stuck pixel and I got it swapped out at the Apple Store.
And just about a month later today I get a massive pink vertical line stuck on the screen.

Never drop it, I keep it in the official keyboard case, doesn't get new water or anything,and I don't even use it all that often (just occasional videos at work and games at home).
Was just using it today and it just popped in the screen.

Sadly the Apple Store I have 1 mile away is always super busy, so my appointment isnt until Thursday. Maybe I'll try another store close to my work.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Just learnt on reddit that you can browse the contents of an app folder in the preview if you put it in the top bar on tvOS. 🤯

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to reduce the amount of data that Apple Music uses when streaming over your phones data plan?