• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like it if the AirPods battery status was always visible in the battery widget when it's charging.

pro lets you tap to see if it is charging but no easy way to see the charge without picking it up and opening it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So, i just got a notification that my credit card was charged 4.99 by Apple.
I presume that's the €4.99 yearly subscription for some educational software that my girlfriend needs. (we share an iCloud family plan)

Now, i do have over €100 credit on my iTunes account (i always buy iTunes cards when they're 15% off at the local discounter). How come her subscription isn't deducted from the iTunes credit on my account, but rather my credit card was charged?!

(AppleTV+, AppleMusic, iCloud Storage are all deducted from the store credit; but those services, i signed up to myself)
Yo, i'm quoting myself, because i can...

In Family Sharing settings it only shows my credit card as 'shared payment method'
WpYaxO5.png

now the Apple support site says:
9OAVbqT.png

So pretty much: "If we do payment sharing, my primary (i.e. the one that's on top) payment method is used for all family members' purchases" - but my iTunes credit IS on top.

oOmLncN.jpg

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can you try removing your credit card temporarily, so that your only payment method becomes your ITunes Guthaben?

Then you could add it later back. I don't know why it shows differently on your Mac and your iPhone. Maybe removing the CC will update the payment method in all your devices iCloud settings as well.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the whole payment side of iCloud Family Sharing is such a weirdly obfuscated mess. fwiw, my Mac also only shows my VISA while on my iOS devices it shows the iTunes credits and VISA. We resorted to simply stocking up all accounts that use subscriptions with rebated iTunes credits and it works out fine so far, no unwanted credit card transactions. All I get as the family manager is receipts about the subs (well, I used to, that stopped working for all transactions starting in November for some reason, as I laid out in a previous post lmao).

In other news, iOS 13 continues to be a dumpster fire with my shortcuts widget corrupting itself every two days and """automations""" not triggering anymore from the action notifications they send.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Can you try removing your credit card temporarily, so that your only payment method becomes your ITunes Guthaben?

Then you could add it later back. I don't know why it shows differently on your Mac and your iPhone. Maybe removing the CC will update the payment method in all your devices iCloud settings as well.
Just talked to Apple Chat support because i was curious, so, here's the deal:

Fact 1: in-app purchases and in-app subscriptions are entirely excluded from family sharing. Not on a per-app basis, but entirely.
Fact 2: Any purchases a family member makes is paid from your primary payment method that isn't store credit. Only purchases you yourself make is deducted from store credit first.

So, due to fact 2, i would have had to sign up for the subscription on my AppleID but due to fact 1, that subscription would have not been accessible to my girlfriend.

Fact 3: Any purchases a family member makes has to be paid from the family organizer's credit card (or paypal, respectively), you can only use individual / personal credit cards if you turn family sharing off.

Here's the workaround though: Fact 4: Even with family sharing turned on, if a family member makes a purchase on their AppleID, any existing store credit will be used before the 'family payment method' (i.e. my credit card) is being charged.

AppleMusic, AppleTV+, iCloud storage and AppleArcade are not limited to fact 1, btw - they can, of course, be shared (in the case of AppleMusic, you do need the family plan, ofc)

So, basically, my girlfriend will need to purchase some iTunes credit so i'm not billed on those very few purchases she makes.
edit: Vuze - Yup, that's the Apple mandated way of each family member remaining at least somewhat self-reliant :) And yup, i also always stock up on 15% iTunes credit :)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Apple's family sharing is terrible. I just have my immediate family members signed in as me for the storefronts, but with their own for iCloud.

I had that exact conversation with Apple support, even including the gift card part. Like.. why would I want for family member purchases to hit my credit card and not my store credit? It's assenine.

I also ripped all my family's music but only my account can listen to them via iTunes Match.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd like it if the AirPods battery status was always visible in the battery widget when it's charging.

pro lets you tap to see if it is charging but no easy way to see the charge without picking it up and opening it.
Me too. This bugs me. I have it in my pocket most of the time but I'd like it if it occasionally sent out a status update to my phone for peace of mind.

I don't even know what the button on the back of the case is for. I press it and nothing happens?

edit: Ah I see it's a setup button.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just talked to Apple Chat support because i was curious, so, here's the deal:

Fact 1: in-app purchases and in-app subscriptions are entirely excluded from family sharing. Not on a per-app basis, but entirely.
Fact 2: Any purchases a family member makes is paid from your primary payment method that isn't store credit. Only purchases you yourself make is deducted from store credit first.

So, due to fact 2, i would have had to sign up for the subscription on my AppleID but due to fact 1, that subscription would have not been accessible to my girlfriend.

Fact 3: Any purchases a family member makes has to be paid from the family organizer's credit card (or paypal, respectively), you can only use individual / personal credit cards if you turn family sharing off.

Here's the workaround though: Fact 4: Even with family sharing turned on, if a family member makes a purchase on their AppleID, any existing store credit will be used before the 'family payment method' (i.e. my credit card) is being charged.

AppleMusic, AppleTV+, iCloud storage and AppleArcade are not limited to fact 1, btw - they can, of course, be shared (in the case of AppleMusic, you do need the family plan, ofc)

So, basically, my girlfriend will need to purchase some iTunes credit so i'm not billed on those very few purchases she makes.
edit: Vuze - Yup, that's the Apple mandated way of each family member remaining at least somewhat self-reliant :) And yup, i also always stock up on 15% iTunes credit :)

I see, thanks for the detailed explanation! Sounds like a mess, guess it was a good idea for my girlfriend and me to have separate accounts, as students with student Apple Music it's still cheaper to go separate as it's only 5€ each for us.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Apple's family sharing is terrible. I just have my immediate family members signed in as me for the storefronts, but with their own for iCloud.

I had that exact conversation with Apple support, even including the gift card part. Like.. why would I want for family member purchases to hit my credit card and not my store credit? It's assenine.

I see, thanks for the detailed explanation! Sounds like a mess, guess it was a good idea for my girlfriend and me to have separate accounts, as students with student Apple Music it's still cheaper to go separate as it's only 5€ each for us.

Well, to be fair, i can see Apple family sharing working perfectly if you're the actual, archetypical model of a family. One parent's the organizer, their credit card pays for shit. Other parent can approve purchases.

Also, the advanced features - like screen time restrictions or location sharing are also very much aimed at parents keeping track of their kids (location, and device usage).

As soon as you don't fit that mold, however, it's super weird. But that might - in part - be intentional. Like, i can't imagine anyone going through the hassle of sharing their AppleTV+ subscription with others.

What was new to me was the fact that Subscriptions and in-app purchases are never part of family sharing - i mean, that's something you can read up on - but up until now i always figured that the apps i was testing it in (like, the WeatherLine premium subscription) were simply purposefully not allowing sharing the subscription.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Well, to be fair, i can see Apple family sharing working perfectly if you're the actual, archetypical model of a family. One parent's the organizer, their credit card pays for shit. Other parent can approve purchases.

Also, the advanced features - like screen time restrictions or location sharing are also very much aimed at parents keeping track of their kids (location, and device usage).

As soon as you don't fit that mold, however, it's super weird. But that might - in part - be intentional. Like, i can't imagine anyone going through the hassle of sharing their AppleTV+ subscription with others.

Even when you do fit the model it sucks.

I have ~$200 in iTunes credit on my account but if my child buys something it gets charged to my credit card. I ripped hundreds of CD's that are accessible to my entire family on a shelf in my family room, but neither my wife nor my kids can listen to them in iTunes.

I think it's even goofy if they try to use/watch content that I've purchased. Rather than just show up as "owned", they have to go thru some weird steps.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Will Apple tv+ have only original content or will it grow to introduce a wide variety of shows and movies? I expected a platform built to battle HBO Go and Netflix, but it seems it's not the case here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Will Apple tv+ have only original content or will it grow to introduce a wide variety of shows and movies? I expected a platform built to battle HBO Go and Netflix, but it seems it's not the case here.
I think, so far, the plan is to have high quality (ymmv) original content.
And it's priced mostly accordingly. 5 bucks a month (if even that, given that - if there's at least one new Apple device purchased in your household each year) for a few premium shows is not a bad value proposition.
It's certainly not aimed at those who binge or want to rewatch Friends. It's aimed at those who will make time for 2-3 episodes of a 50minute-per-episode show each week.

i was originally not convinced by AppleTV+, but seeing how i'm getting a new Macbook this year, a new iPhone next fall, the next time i'll have to actually pay for AppleTV+ will be in fall of 2021, and it's likely that either me or my girlfriend will be in the market for some new qualifying Apple device.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I think, so far, the plan is to have high quality (ymmv) original content.
And it's priced mostly accordingly. 5 bucks a month (if even that, given that - if there's at least one new Apple device purchased in your household each year) for a few premium shows is not a bad value proposition.
It's certainly not aimed at those who binge or want to rewatch Friends. It's aimed at those who will make time for 2-3 episodes of a 50minute-per-episode show each week.

i was originally not convinced by AppleTV+, but seeing how i'm getting a new Macbook this year, a new iPhone next fall, the next time i'll have to actually pay for AppleTV+ will be in fall of 2021, and it's likely that either me or my girlfriend will be in the market for some new qualifying Apple device.
Fair enough, but none of the shows on Apple tv+ feels premium to me. They need their Game of Thrones/House of Cards to catch the attention of mass consumer.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, but none of the shows on Apple tv+ feels premium to me. They need their Game of Thrones/House of Cards to catch the attention of mass consumer.

that's a pretty high bar to set for the start of a new service?Im personally enjoying for all mankind a lot and as mentioned Apple are effectively soft launching this by giving it away with purchases

btw I'm not sure they'll keep that - once they fill things out they may remove the free year offer

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
that's a pretty high bar to set for the start of a new service?Im personally enjoying for all mankind a lot and as mentioned Apple are effectively soft launching this by giving it away with purchases

btw I'm not sure they'll keep that - once they fill things out they may remove the free year offer
If they really want to compete, they have to aim for the highest quality. The Morning Show was expensive like hell, but it didn't capture the imagination of people like GoT did.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, but it's Apple's job to create the next "all the people at my workplace talk about the show" thing. If they want to compete in the big leagues, that is.

I think they wanna create shows that people enjoy watching and a balanced portfolio. They have fantasy, history drama and ... business drama (what would you call The Morning show?).

Their shows, while not GoT or The Wire or Breaking Bad quality are certainly already better than much of the stuff you get on Prime and Netflix.
Their shows don't need to be A++ shows, a B is fine - given the price of the service.

Also, i personally really enjoy See (as dumb as the premise is, and as many actual plotholes it creates) and The Morning show.
I like the fact that episodes release on a weekly basis and i haven't even started For All Mankind :D

AppleTV+ seems to want to squeeze into the "it's just 5 bucks and the shows are pretty decent ... eh, why not" niche. It's not competing for the one Streaming Service that holds most of your entertainment. It's not competing with Netflix or Hulu or Prime or Disney+. It's competing with stuff like ... DC Universe, and CBS All Access, i guess ... like, the 'specialty' shit. The one you get on top of your 'service with huge library' subscription.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
so, I've done the 7 day trial and am now on the 4.99 subscription for AppleTV+.
Now I just received my new MacBook Pro 16" - how do I switch from paid subscription to redeeming the free year? 🧐

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Rocket seems neat, gotta turn it off for ERA though since the site has this functionality as well.

What's the source on Rocket's gifs? I used "gif grabber" before for iMessage gifs, but if Rocket could streamline my emoji and gif usage, that would be neat.
edit: okay, the gifs thing is pretty janky 😕

Also, quoting myself because while it's cool that I'm able to step up my emoji game, my current main question is this 😁
so, I've done the 7 day trial and am now on the 4.99 subscription for AppleTV+.
Now I just received my new MacBook Pro 16" - how do I switch from paid subscription to redeeming the free year? 🧐

Last edited:

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
You'll have the notification saying you've got emails and the notification dot, but then when you open the app it'll take about 10 seconds before the emails finally appear.

Never used to be like that in 12, newest update still doesn't fix it.
If you press the bottom left you get them straight away. It's fucking broken but that's a good half way measure till then

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Recently bought an iPhone 11 Pro. I already had an iPad. For some reason the Siri option to "Listen for 'hey Siri'" keeps turning itself off on the iPhone, but remains enabled on my iPad. Anyone ever seen this kind of behavior before?

Oct 25, 2017
Command, Ctrl + spacebar brings up the emoji picker window on Mac with a search bar.

Yeah, but there's nothing as fast as typing :"whatever noun" and the like.

They're adding dozens more emoji every year, they really need better options than the categories they have now.
The built-in keyboard is fine for stuff you use all the time, well nigh useless for anything else.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I can't understand why anyone uses the touchbar for emojis over the mentioned pop up window. It's so much faster and much more usable

HayaoYamaneko

Feb 15, 2018
Looking to replace my mid-2010 Macbook Pro with the new Macbook Pro 13" model (i5 1.4ghz/8g ram) but w/256gb SSD instead of the base 128.

1. Haven't followed the Apple cycle in awhile - what are the odds of a price drop on that or the base model in the next 6 months now that the 16" model has come out?

2. Should I look at any slightly earlier models for better cost/value?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to replace my mid-2010 Macbook Pro with the new Macbook Pro 13" model (i5 1.4ghz/8g ram) but w/256gb SSD instead of the base 128.

1. Haven't followed the Apple cycle in awhile - what are the odds of a price drop on that or the base model in the next 6 months now that the 16" model has come out?

2. Should I look at any slightly earlier models for better cost/value?

I think the odds are pretty good that Apple replaces the 13" MBP with a new 14" MBP maybe six months from now.

That would lead to a price drop of the old ones (if you can find them outside of the stock config).

depending on your needs, you could easily get by with a 1-2 year old 13" MBP with an SSD.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Recently bought an iPhone 11 Pro. I already had an iPad. For some reason the Siri option to "Listen for 'hey Siri'" keeps turning itself off on the iPhone, but remains enabled on my iPad. Anyone ever seen this kind of behavior before?
If you have multiple Siri devices, only one will activate when you say "Hey Siri." It determines this by closest device and which device was last used for "Hey Siri", there are also overrides, like the HomePod will always respond if it hears you, or if you lift an Apple Watch it'll use that, but sometimes it doesn't get it right.

Try turning off "Hey Siri" on the iPad, wait a bit, then turn it back on.

HayaoYamaneko

Feb 15, 2018
I think the odds are pretty good that Apple replaces the 13" MBP with a new 14" MBP maybe six months from now.

That would lead to a price drop of the old ones (if you can find them outside of the stock config).

depending on your needs, you could easily get by with a 1-2 year old 13" MBP with an SSD.

Yeah, I'm thinking of holding out for a price drop, but it's tough - my MBP's battery has shit the bed, has to be plugged in at all times now, but don't want to spend on a new battery when I could just put that money toward a new laptop.

I'm looking for something that I can use Final Cut Pro (no heavy rendering) and Logic with at a minimum - but given that I'm able to do that on my 2010 MBP (or at least was, it's a bit bloated and sluggish now), I imagine it won't be a problem nearly a decade later.

The lack of ports on the base model is a bit of a pain though.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn, been stuck in the Google ecosystem for so long I didn't realize how much iCloud, Numbers, and Pages have advanced. Goodbye Google Drive. Shit I might even replace my Chromebook and Windows laptop with a Macbook. They're both long in the tooth anyway.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Maybe a dumb question but I never tried it: can I install macos on an external SSD and dual boot it with the internal system? Or would that be a dumb idea?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Awesome. Going with the base 13" 16GB RAM model. Upgrading the CPU would be pointless for what I will be using it for, and I will be storing most of my work in the cloud.

It sucks the soonest I can get one from the Apple Store that's six miles away is December 10th - if I order today. The local BestBuys have plenty but they're all 8GB models.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just got really lucky guys. I went to the local Apple Store to order a 13" Pro with 16GB which is supposed to always be custom they said, takes at least 14 days to come in. But the girl was nice enough to call another mall location a few cities over and they had one a customer ordered but returned still in the wrapping.

So I drove (well, Ubered) the 20 min over and copped it. They even gave me a $91 discount for my employer. Setting it up now. Time to get rid of my Windows laptop and Chromebook.

edit: OMG this has built in biometrics too? Ugh I should have gone Mac a long time ago

Last edited: