• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
S3rrHKd.png

found it, in the TV app, had to tap the AppleTV+ 'tile' there, something you don't really do if you're already subscribed to the service.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Alright, haven't used a Mac since like 2003. Took me a good 15 minutes of digging through settings to figure how to get my iPhone to stop taking pics in HEIC (I refused to google) and how to work the nuances of this trackpad - though I am sure I am still missing a lot. This is fun! Now time to figure out how to mess with this cool-ass touch bar I think. Also how does one open a terminal / console again?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Alright, haven't used a Mac since like 2003. Took me a good 15 minutes of digging through settings to figure how to get my iPhone to stop taking pics in HEIC (I refused to google) and how to work the nuances of this trackpad - though I am sure I am still missing a lot. This is fun! Now time to figure out how to mess with this cool-ass touch bar I think. Also how does one open a terminal / console again?
Open the Terminal application. And the best way to open any application is to press command-space and type the first couple of letters.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the new machine! Why would you turn off HEIC though, now that you have a Mac which can natively handle it?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh. Stick with HEIC.

also. Clean up your dock, you don't need most of the apps on there😬

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Open the Terminal application. And the best way to open any application is to press command-space and type the first couple of letters.

Oh thanks for that! Gonna play around with Spotlight.

Congrats on the new machine! Why would you turn off HEIC though, now that you have a Mac which can natively handle it?

I am vaguely familiar with the format and am aware that it's supposed to be great, I just wanted to quickly take lower format images until I am in a position to deal with HEIC quickly and efficiently. For now I just want to snap pics and post them quickly. :D

Also about the dock, that's literally the default + Chrome. I'll clean it up eventually.

Edit again: I know I am gushing again but to set up my AirPods all I did was hold them next to my phone, click done on the animation - and bam - synced to my phone, iPad, and new Macbook. This is some freaky shit.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Good advice! Hide it and put it on the left or right. Always feels like a huge waste of a wide display to have a strip of real estate wasted by the dock.
I hide it and only put apps there that I need to drag and drop shit onto (Photoshop, photos, mail, messages etc)

Anything else I open with spotlight. Like, system settings, launch pad, App Store, Face Time, contacts. All of that shit don't need to be there.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Should I get the regular iPad if I just need a tablet for media conumption, reading and some photo editing and a bit of painting? Or is the Air a bit more future-proof?
The pro would be nice but I don't really need it's features I think.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Should I get the regular iPad if I just need a tablet for media conumption, reading and some photo editing and a bit of painting? Or is the Air a bit more future-proof?
The pro would be nice but I don't really need it's features I think.
Air has a newer chip (A12 vs A10 in the regular iPad) and a nicer, laminated screen. It's definitely more future-proof with a significantly better SoC.

Oct 25, 2017
Is buying a used iPad Pro 10.5 a bad idea? They're relatively cheap, and I've seen some people say to go for the older Pro over the newer Mini and Air models. The 120hz screen and extra gig of RAM seems like a better trade off over the slightly faster processor. It wouldn't used for anything too demanding, just drawing, web browsing, and reading manga/books come to mind. My only concern would be the battery life, I don't know how it'll hold up being over 2.5 years old already.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is buying a used iPad Pro 10.5 a bad idea? They're relatively cheap, and I've seen some people say to go for the older Pro over the newer Mini and Air models. The 120hz screen and extra gig of RAM seems like a better trade off over the slightly faster processor. It wouldn't used for anything too demanding, just drawing, web browsing, and reading manga/books come to mind. My only concern would be the battery life, I don't know how it'll hold up being over 2.5 years old already.

it's a great ipad, and can often be had for less than an air 3. i would suggest checking apple's refurb store, though - that'll get you a brand new battery and warranty, and still be a bit cheaper than an air 3 (while also getting you 120hz, quad speakers, better camera, extra gig of RAM, etc).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Now that i got more screen real estate, i've purchased iStat menus.

What 'widgets' do y'all use?
A2vMc3C.png

For me it's:
CPU current load
GPU load history (current load made no sense, because the dGPU is always at 0 or 100% ...)
integrated or discrete GPU indicator
network traffic
battery charge (with remaining time if running on battery power)

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

A2vMc3C.png

For me it's:
CPU current load
GPU load history (current load made no sense, because the dGPU is always at 0 or 100% ...)
network traffic
CPU current load
Integrated or discrete graphics card (I need to know if something is pointlessly riding the discrete card. Fuck you, Spotify.)
Network traffic
Battery charge and time left

So pretty much the same as you. Memory, disks, sensors... none of that is information I need displayed all the time. And the system clock is fine.

The only other things allowed up there are 1Password, wifi and Fantastical. Bartender sweeps the rest away.

I prefer this app's battery display. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/battery-indicator/id1206020918 I may switch to it but I'm grumpy about paying for something so minor.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

A2vMc3C.png

For me it's:
CPU current load
network traffic
igqgchD.png

I've got way too much stuff up here.

CopyLess 2
ScreenFlow
1Password
Carbon Copy Cloner
Hazel
iStats (Sensors (Which I might as well turn off now since it seems to not work with the 16" yet), Disks, Network, Memory, CPU/GPU)
gfxCardStatus (For switching between GPUs to force dGPU when needed)
QuickRes (For changing resolution on the fly to anything the display supports, which is a lot more than what System Preferences shows)
WiFi
BlueTooth
Volume
iStats Battery, Calendar (With custom setup) and Weather (Conditions, temperature, chance of rain)
Users
Spotlight
Notifications

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
igqgchD.png

I've got way too much stuff up here.

CopyLess 2
ScreenFlow
1Password
Carbon Copy Cloner
Hazel
iStats (Sensors (Which I might as well turn off now since it seems to not work with the 16" yet), Disks, Network, Memory, CPU/GPU)
gfxCardStatus (For switching between GPUs to force dGPU when needed)
QuickRes (For changing resolution on the fly to anything the display supports, which is a lot more than what System Preferences shows)
WiFi
BlueTooth
Volume
iStats Battery, Calendar (With custom setup) and Weather (Conditions, temperature, chance of rain)
Users
Spotlight
Notifications
L3AuFP4.gif

You need to find help Abed!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hiding that stuff is the digital equivalent of "cleaning" your room by dumping everything in the closet :P
well, to be fair, there are items that you rarely need or that you simply cannot or don't want to remove altogether.
Like, i use bartender to hide:
The taskbar icon for my adblocker (adguard)
Adobe Creative Cloud
The spotlight magnifying glass (i do that with cmd+space)
The Notification Center icon (i do that with a swipe, if i even use it)
AirPlay (if i need it, i'll gladly do the extra click)

Anything i leave visible are icons that have some actual glanceable information - like, am i connected to WiFi, is my computer muted, what's the current date, am i running on battery, etc.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
L3AuFP4.gif

You need to find help Abed!
Bartender is a cool utility that helps clean up and hide menubar items.

Hiding that stuff is the digital equivalent of "cleaning" your room by dumping everything in the closet :P
Okay so if y'all gonna pile on me, I'm perfectly fine with what I have. I don't usually like clutter, but I like having that info up there. Sure yeah iStats is pretty big. So much info. But I like all that info. I could move it all into a single menu because it has that option but then what's the point. I need my gfxStatus and my QuickRes icons and the WiFi and BlueTooth and Volume and Battery icons. As was said, hiding all that stuff is pretty much like throwing it all in a closet and saying the room is clean. Or pushing it all under the bed like I used to.

If anything I could maybe remove the Hazel icon as it doesn't really show any status and is just for launching the Preference pane. But it's also good for quickly running certain actions.

Maybe I can also remove the Users icon as I only use that on Fridays to log into an alternate account for a friend to check something online for her and I don't want to have her password saved in my Keychain or 1Password so I keep it in its own space. I'd remove it but I don't know how to switch users without logging out via a key combo. If one exists I'll memorize it and use it instead.

I removed Siri because I never use Siri really and I've turned on Hey Siri if I do need it, but I don't know if I can remove Spotlight (Which I usually use with the Command+Space key and the Notifications button as I have a BTT gesture to show that if I need it.

Since I have the time and weather in the TB I could technically remove them there but I'm not ready for that and I feel like my menubar is naked without them in some form.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't meaning to tease you! If you like all that stuff in your menubar, live that life! For me, some apps I use don't have an option to hide or disable a menubar icon so I have to resort to using Bartender to get it done. And then there are some stuff I want in the menubar for rare reasons and it's easier just to one-click the Bartender icon for me to access it.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I wasn't meaning to tease you! If you like all that stuff in your menubar, live that life! For me, some apps I use don't have an option to hide or disable a menubar icon so I have to resort to using Bartender to get it done. And then there are some stuff I want in the menubar for rare reasons and it's easier just to one-click the Bartender icon for me to access it.
Seconded. I hope you realise our comments were in jest.

Oct 25, 2017
In total fairness, this is my home desktop:

rbpG83x.png

I could collapse iStat Menus down but there are certain niche cases where the per-core display comes in handy. The network thing is there as long as Optimum sucks and I can't immediately tell if it's disconnected.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
In total fairness, this is my home desktop:

rbpG83x.png

I could collapse iStat Menus down but there are certain niche cases where the per-core display comes in handy. The network thing is there as long as Optimum sucks and I can't immediately tell if it's disconnected.
I keep network status visible for that reason too. Sometimes Verizon sucks too. Also, those two black icons would bug the hell out of me. It's been two years. I can't believe there are still apps that don't at least support dark mode in the menubar. (Even CCC supports the dark mode menubar even if the app is still light mode.) It's as bad as when apps took forever to support Retina. No dark mode menu icon would be a deal-breaker and an instant uninstall. I have a feeling it's something you require.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep network status visible for that reason too. Sometimes Verizon sucks too. Also, those two black icons would bug the hell out of me. It's been two years. I can't believe there are still apps that don't at least support dark mode in the menubar. (Even CCC supports the dark mode menubar even if the app is still light mode.) It's as bad as when apps took forever to support Retina. No dark mode menu icon would be a deal-breaker and an instant uninstall. I have a feeling it's something you require.

Those are Lacie desktop managers for my DAS. Really if I cared enough I'd just swap the icon myself.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know how powerful/good Sidecar is! I am using my iPad as a second display wirelessly and I'm playing a locally downloaded video on the iPad with PiP enabled and I'm getting no lag when switching over to the Sidecar display. This is impressive.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could (natively and without weird hacks) remove that goddamn spotlight icon. Does anyone actually klick on it to use it??

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have a question regarding the Airpod Pros.

I have to attend in phone conferences, where multiple persons in one room are in the same call. We currently use some Sennheiser office noise cancelling headphones, that isolate the microphone very well. Others we tested picked up everything else in the room, too. And that is unacceptable, as other participants in the call can hear themselves then. Irritating af.

Anyone tried this? Do Airpod Pros isolate the wearers voice from the rest and mute everything else?

Thanks!

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Is there any other reason to prefer the new regular iPad instead of last year's model? As far I'm concerned the newer model has an additional GB of RAM apart from the miniscule screen size increase, right?

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any other reason to prefer the new regular iPad instead of last year's model? As far I'm concerned the newer model has an additional GB of RAM apart from the miniscule screen size increase, right?

yup but it has some good sales for the upcoming Black Friday already. If one doesn't have last years model then It's a steal to get this years model this holiday

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the half-inch bump in screen size is actually surprisingly noticeable imo:

lnb03De.jpg

aside from that and the extra RAM, the only real difference is smart keyboard support. but honestly the black friday deals on the new model are cheap enough (already up to $100 off) that there's not much reason to go for last year's

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Hi everyone, I just bought Airpods Pro but the charging cable requires a USB C port which I don't have in my house, can I charge them using the iPhone cable instead?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, It wouldn't negatively affect it in any way?

The AirPods are simply the among the first wave of Apple Product that switches from "USB-A -> Lighting" to "USB-C -> Lightning"
(funnily, the iPhone 11 still comes with USB-A -> Lightning, while the pro comes with USB-C)

The main technical difference between the two connectors would be that USB-A doesn't allow for >12W fast charging, while USB-C can even power devices like the latest Macbooks (96W).

In the case of the AirPods Pro, that difference should be irrelevant - here, it's mostly about phasing out the USB-A connector. If you "only" have an USB-A to Lighnting cable, you'll be perfectly fine. The AirPods Pro case has a 519mAh battery. You don't need "fast charging" for that kind of capacity 😄

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I just got really lucky guys. I went to the local Apple Store to order a 13" Pro with 16GB which is supposed to always be custom they said, takes at least 14 days to come in. But the girl was nice enough to call another mall location a few cities over and they had one a customer ordered but returned still in the wrapping.

So I drove (well, Ubered) the 20 min over and copped it. They even gave me a $91 discount for my employer. Setting it up now. Time to get rid of my Windows laptop and Chromebook.

edit: OMG this has built in biometrics too? Ugh I should have gone Mac a long time ago
Welcome to the Light side.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
You mean to extend your regular lightning cable? so, like this?
())))))====================)___D

I guess it'd be easier if you just got an USB-A -> USB-A extension and used a regular lightning cable.
Solid workaround, but would limit me to slow charging, no? Ideally I wanted to extend my USB-C -> Lightning that's connected to a beefy faster charger but extended the USB end is a likely fallback.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have the last gen 12.9 iPad Pro with the older Pencil. It seems perfectly fine for what I use it for (light work use, lots of Numbers, some sketching, tons of streaming video, games once in a while). Is there any reason I'd want to upgrade to the new Pro? Does the next gen do anything my current iPad can't?

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the last gen 12.9 iPad Pro with the older Pencil. It seems perfectly fine for what I use it for (light work use, lots of Numbers, some sketching, tons of streaming video, games once in a while). Is there any reason I'd want to upgrade to the new Pro? Does the next gen do anything my current iPad can't?

Aside from AR stuff and Face ID, not really.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Will there be any difference between MacBook Air and Pro (base models) performance-wise, if my usage consists of web browsing and text editing?

Last edited: