• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, the touchbar is so fucking bugged in Safari. Like the tab previews...

Like, right now, i have these 2 tabs open - the left one is a Google Image search result, the right one is a youtube video.
The Touch bar, for some reason has half of the left tab covered with a more narrow tab that looks like the "favourites" tab, while the right one is covered with a static image of our local TV station's news page (a tab i closed like an hour ago)
V8rJ6Tw.jpg

if i open 2 additional tabs, it's even weirder...

XOYCuLk.jpg

and even if i do
  • killall ControlStrip
it doesn't help. I need to close Safari for it to work properly again ...

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

Like, right now, i have these 2 tabs open - the left one is a Google Image search result, the right one is a youtube video.
The Touch bar, for some reason has half of the left tab covered with a more narrow tab that looks like the "favourites" tab, while the right one is covered with a static image of our local TV station's news page (a tab i closed like an hour ago)
V8rJ6Tw.jpg

XOYCuLk.jpg

and even if i do
  • killall ControlStrip
That bug is really common, has been there since day 1 and they've done nothing to fix it. It's really annoying.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

V8rJ6Tw.jpg

XOYCuLk.jpg

and even if i do
  • killall ControlStrip

Mine keeps bugging out on brightness/sound.... So what I did was reset it to the original config and then set it again how I like.

Got my base 16" model, this thing is enormous when compared to the 13" 2017 TB I had! So much screen estateeeeee so awesome! Also 2KG is not that heavy like most people complain!

Can't wait to install Parallels and World of Warcraft on this

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That bug is really common, has been there since day 1 and they've done nothing to fix it. It's really annoying.
i mean, it's not a big deal, really, since i barely use those tab previews anyways (too small to make out the content of the tab...)
Still, super janky.

Thankfully, the volume and brightness sliders work flawlessly for me, and i'm a huge fan of the volume slider. I wonder how many people realize that you can just tap the volume button and move it left and right, and don't have to lift the finger and move over to the actual slider.
(It works like that in iOS control center, too)

giphy.gif

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

V8rJ6Tw.jpg

XOYCuLk.jpg

and even if i do
  • killall ControlStrip
I don't even bother with the app-specific touchbars. I just have BTT set up with custom buttons for stuff I'll actually want access to and still have access to the function keys with Fn. only drawback is I had to make my own folder with brightness and volume controls because there's no way I can find to have BTT temporarily switch to that if I need it. No big deal though. I can do so much more.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even bother with the app-specific touchbars. I just have BTT set up with custom buttons for stuff I'll actually want access to and still have access to the function keys with Fn. only drawback is I had to make my own folder with brightness and volume controls because there's no way I can find to have BTT temporarily switch to that if I need it. No big deal though. I can do so much more.
I'd love to use the spaces touchbar more, but the fact that i have to pick between: FN invokes function keys vs. FN invokes spaces. (and i need function keys for Windows remote desktop)

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
didn't pretty much all HD movies get upgraded to 4K for free anyway unless it was from movies anywhere or something?

not sure. that's kind of why I'm asking. I have an Hd code for ET already in my library but now I have a 4K code . I don't really want two separate ET selections in my library. My OCD wouldn't be able to handle it haha.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
not sure. that's kind of why I'm asking. I have an Hd code for ET already in my library but now I have a 4K code . I don't really want two separate ET selections in my library. My OCD wouldn't be able to handle it haha.
can't you hide (or remove altogether) individual purchases within your iTunes account, though?
I had so many .99ct songs in my iTunes library that i downloaded as soundtracks for iMovie videos which i removed from my library because they'd show up as individual albums.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd love to use the spaces touchbar more, but the fact that i have to pick between: FN invokes function keys vs. FN invokes spaces. (and i need function keys for Windows remote desktop)
Well you could make a folder full of buttons that act as F keys. But also you can set BTT to ignore custom TouchBar stuff in certain apps so it behaves as default when that app is current. Or have custom bars for each app.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Unless ET was rereleased by a different company it should overwrite the older version.

And purchases can be removed so no worries there.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The stupid touchbar is just sad. They are as interested in making it a better experience just like with 3D Touch on iPhones and force touch on Mac trackpads. Not at all.
Where is my external touchbar Apple? It makes no fucking sense to use nowhere else then the pro line of MacBooks.

One can hope it joins these in future veraions of the Mac in the graveyard of failed apple ideas.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017

V8rJ6Tw.jpg

XOYCuLk.jpg

and even if i do
  • killall ControlStrip
Has existed since launch. Apple has done nothing to fix it. Apple clearly doesn't give a shit about the Touch Bar.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Went out and bought the AppleTV 4k. Seems good so far, I like the remote even. A couple of questions, though: if I want movies and shows that actually support HDR/DV to play in HDR/DV but don't want none of that in the menus, with non-HDR/DV content etc., what settings should I be using? I switched the format to 60hz 4k SDR in the settings, will it still switch to HDR/DV automatically when I start watching content that supports that? I have an LG B7, if that matters.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went out and bought the AppleTV 4k. Seems good so far, I like the remote even. A couple of questions, though: if I want movies and shows that actually support HDR/DV to play in HDR/DV but don't want none of that in the menus, with non-HDR/DV content etc., what settings should I be using? I switched the format to 60hz 4k SDR in the settings, will it still switch to HDR/DV automatically when I start watching content that supports that? I have an LG B7, if that matters.

just go to Settings > Video & Audio > Match Content and make sure "match dynamic range" is turned on, and it should automatically switch to HDR when appropriate

ara

Oct 26, 2017
just go to Settings > Video & Audio > Match Content and make sure "match dynamic range" is turned on, and it should automatically switch to HDR when appropriate

Yeah, just noticed this lol. Thanks!

Another question, though: is there a difference between the TV and iTunes movies apps? I'm kind of confused, they both seem to do the exact same job, just with different UIs. I vastly prefer the iTunes UI, fwiw.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just noticed this lol. Thanks!

Another question, though: is there a difference between the TV and iTunes movies apps? I'm kind of confused, they both seem to do the exact same job, just with different UIs. I vastly prefer the iTunes UI, fwiw.
TV can keep track of stuff outside of iTunes Movie App. You can track stuff in Amazon or HBO in the TV app, for example.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Has existed since launch. Apple has done nothing to fix it. Apple clearly doesn't give a shit about the Touch Bar.
Thy brought back the Escape key at least. They really should have made it an extra bar above the function keys.

I don't think they'll get rid of it though. Not at this point. It'll be here for a while.

Its pretty much a gimmick they created to supplement the fact that Macs don't and won't get touch screens like Windows PCs because Apple decided to make an OS from scratch to run on touch devices instead of making the macOS have touch capable UI like Microsoft did. I do prefer the way Apple did it by not shoehorning a touch UI into macOS but it's obvious there's a divide now. Will Apple eventually give in? Or will they keep touch out of macOS for the rest of eternity? Maybe I'll hop 60 years into the future for a few days and report back on Wednesday.

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised that no retailer is selling the Apple TV at a discount this weekend with Apple TV+ having just launched. You think Apple would want to move some, but all you get is a 25 dollar gift card.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Losing patience with these Airpods. I have to constantly reconnect them to my various devices. I went through the rigamarole with support and they promised to replace them no charge but this is a really poor first impression. The extremely cheap-ass $30 buds I used for Android and PC before these not only worked 100% of the time but they even had better sound quality and the battery seemed to last at least twice as long.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget to write how does is perform. The pricing is great, but the A10 chip is 3 years old now.

For my purposes it's really not going to matter. For media consumption any iPad is fine, and I'm only going to start trying out the drawing capabilities.

The other iPads might be significantly better in performance... but when you have to pay double the price for it, unless I was actually going to use it as some kind of daily driver the economics don't make much sense.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
For my purposes it's really not going to matter. For media consumption any iPad is fine, and I'm only going to start trying out the drawing capabilities.

The other iPads might be significantly better in performance... but when you have to pay double the price for it, unless I was actually going to use it as some kind of daily driver the economics don't make much sense.
My Air 2 is dying (cracked screen), do you think that 7th gen iPad will do for casual purposes like browsing the web, Netflix and occasional game from Apple Arcade?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, but i wonder if that's due to the fact that i honestly don't think it matters.

the case has like ... a 500mah or so battery, that's not even 20% of an iPhone's battery capacity. And it's literally all day battery life, as it'll recharge your AirPods like 4 times over or so?

Like, does it matter if it takes 10 or 20 minutes to fully charge the case itself?
What situations would require you to recharge your case super quickly - not like that translates to it charging the invidual airpods any faster.

Last edited:

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I don't know, but i wonder if that's due to the fact that i honestly don't think it matters.

the case has like ... a 500mah or so battery, that's not even 20% of an iPhone's battery capacity. And it's literally all day battery life, as it'll recharge your AirPods like 4 times over or so?

Like, does it matter if it takes 10 or 20 minutes to fully charge the case itself?
What situations would require you to recharge your case super quickly - not like that translates to it charging the invidual airpods any faster.
It would be a nice to have feature

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Well, the answer is - very likely - "no, it doesn't".

I really don't think that should be even the slightest factor in your decisionmaking about whether or not AirPods Pro are right for you 😉
I have them, I was thinking about buying a fast charger from Apple that's why I asked.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I have them, I was thinking about buying a fast charger from Apple that's why I asked.
oh, okay, gotcha

Well - don't bother. I really really don't think they have this feature, and even if they did, it would (imho) be a waste of money if you bought a higher wattage charger only for the AirPods, anyways.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
oh, okay, gotcha

Well - don't bother. I really really don't think they have this feature, and even if they did, it would (imho) be a waste of money if you bought a higher wattage charger only for the AirPods, anyways.
I was thinking about buying it for the iPhone so just wanted to know if fast charging would work here as well

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about getting a wireless charger. We have All XR or newer for phones, plus series 4 watches.

Is there a good charger that would handle the phones and watches, preferably more than one at a time?

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Anybody uses Reddit app on their phone? I remember it being a battery hog, has that changed?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Apple removed the ability to give songs a half-star rating in the Music app and rounded all my songs down to the nearest star. Fucking hell. Why the fuck is Apple against ratings? I want granularity in rating my songs. Not some stupid boolean "do I like it or not?" rating. What's next? Getting rid of stars completely and destroying all my playlists?

(Half-star ratings were a hidden option you could enable years ago and it's lasted until now. I don't know if it was removed when iTunes was killed or if it was a recent update but it's gone now and I'm bummed.)

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Apple removed the ability to give songs a half-star rating in the Music app and rounded all my songs down to the nearest star. Fucking hell. Why the fuck is Apple against ratings? I want granularity in rating my songs. Not some stupid boolean "do I like it or not?" rating. What's next? Getting rid of stars completely and destroying all my playlists?

(Half-star ratings were a hidden option you could enable years ago and it's lasted until now. I don't know if it was removed when iTunes was killed or if it was a recent update but it's gone now and I'm bummed.)
It's not gone. You just have to enable it in the terminal same way you have always done.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Was at my parents' place tonight and dug out my old eMac--I wanted to remove the PRAM battery and make sure it wasn't leaking.

Battery removed, no leakage found to my knowledge. Can't wait to find the time and space to tear the machine down, replace the thermal paste, get a SSD in there and play around with it a bit.

Also found my eMac restore discs and old Apple Pro USB keyboard which was a real relief; I thought for sure those were lost to time.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i'm asking for a magic mouse 2 for christmas - is this the best mouse for the macbook? why is the space grey version $30 (aus) more than silver?!

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how you literally can't buy an Apple Watch Series 3 on Amazon, and haven't been able to for a few days now. A lot of retailers have been sold out too, they've got to be selling a shit load of these things. I was pretty annoyed when I couldn't get in on the $129 deal at Walmart 1 minute after it went up, but at this point I'd take a $169 deal. I wonder if Amazon has been holding stock for Cyber Monday.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
i'm asking for a magic mouse 2 for christmas - is this the best mouse for the macbook? why is the space grey version $30 (aus) more than silver?!
Some people love it, most people hate it or simply can't use it (I'm in the latter camp). You'll need to see for yourself. The space grey version is only sold with the iMac Pro and was only relatively recently made available for stand alone sale, so that (and the fact that a ton of people sell their regular iMac white mice) might be the reason for the price difference.