• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
is it really that bad? all i will use it for is web browsing and the occasional photoshop.

Yeah they feel clunky, imprecise, and just plain impractical. For some reason they gave me one at work when I moved offices and I just left it there because it's such a poor mouse. None of my coworkers has touched it or shown any interest in wanting it either. It's been sitting on my desk for almost two years and i offer it to anyone who looks at it and they just scoff at it.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It is small, not ergonomic, and you can't charge it while using it. Ridiculous piece of crap hardware. Not that Apple ever built a good mouse though.

Maybe there are some people out there who like it, but I would always get a normal mouse instead. Or the Apple Trackpad.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
is it really that bad? all i will use it for is web browsing and the occasional photoshop.

Yep the Magic Mouse is 100% garbage. Whenever my mom wants me to do anything on her MacBook I just use the trackpad, it's much better and easier to use than a flat bar of soap haha. The tragic part is there's a decent idea with the touch sensitive surface for scrolling and such, just a shame its wasted on such an uncomfortable nightmare of a mouse.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Oh thanks. I have to upgrade to Catalina that's why I couldn't search for it.

Maybe I will upgrade soon.
If you're still on Mojave you can use uBlock Origin, which I like more than 1Blocker. But Apple have removed the old Extension Gallery so I'm not sure how you'd install it nowadays, and you'll have to switch to something else when you upgrade to Catalina.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that something like two thirds of the data that I use on my cell phone plan from browsing the web in safari is due to downloading big obtrusive ads and giving information to millions of trackers.

What is the best ad blocker for safari in iOS? Is there a really good free ad blocker on iOS?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that something like two thirds of the data that I use on my cell phone plan from browsing the web in safari is due to downloading big obtrusive ads and giving information to millions of trackers.

What is the best ad blocker for safari in iOS? Is there a really good free ad blocker on iOS?
Blockbear is pretty good.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I got my MacBook Pro 16" this morning, did a full migration assist and loving it!!!! This thing is a whole new beast, it smashes throughout every single VM combo I send at I! And it's the base model!!!!!

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm gonna start using Ka-Block on both Mac and iOS to block ads and trackers in safari. Gruber uses it. It blocks both ads and trackers, it's free, and that's all I want. 1Blocker won't block both ads and trackers unless you pay.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Isn't mini LED driving the new Pro Display? Isn't that adding a lot of thickness to a screen? Or am I confusing things here?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Just got 1Blocker. I need to pay to enable all of it? It only allows to pick one option out of 10?

Also, I was reading that some other blockers ask for access or other things that shouldn't be done. 1Blocker is safe in this regard?

Catalina seems good so far.

yes you need to pay to enable blocking ads and trackers.

And it has a lot of granularity once you pay to whitelist and block etc

ka-block is free on iOS and MacOS Catalina and it blocks ads and trackers but you get zero granularity. You just turn it on and that's it.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
iPhone 11 is 11 days old and for 6 of those days I had amazing battery life, then everything after that went average. Is it just iOS 13 being a buggy mess?

Phone is always hot with light use. I had another issues with the music app freezing, and when in use would drain my battery and phone would go crazy hot even after closing it.

I updated to the Beta 13.3. First day was an improvement then battery drain. Switched back to 13.2.3 ( went into recovery mode, erased then installed fresh copy of 13.2.3 then synced my
phone) now music app isn't draining my phone which is good, but phone is still warm.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
iPhone 11 is 11 days old and for 6 of those days I had amazing battery life, then everything after that went average. Is it just iOS 13 being a buggy mess?

Phone is always hot with light use. I had another issues with the music app freezing, and when in use would drain my battery and phone would go crazy hot even after closing it.

I updated to the Beta 13.3. First day was an improvement then battery drain. Switched back to 13.2.3 ( went into recovery mode, erased then installed fresh copy of 13.2.3 then synced my
phone) now music app isn't draining my phone which is good, but phone is still warm.
iOS 13 has definitely been the buggiest update in recent memory for me (but I've used Android for the most part)

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

something or some app is obviously doing some weird shit.

maybe consider starting fresh? (no sync) Make sure messages are synced (if you use imessage) with icloud then set up as new maybe.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Post a screenshot of the battery screen. If there's a 'rogue' app, you'd see that there.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Ok, I'm gonna start using Ka-Block on both Mac and iOS to block ads and trackers in safari. Gruber uses it. It blocks both ads and trackers, it's free, and that's all I want. 1Blocker won't block both ads and trackers unless you pay.
Sometimes it is worth paying for good things. I feel better when I know my add blocker is built by someone who can afford rent and food and is not forced to at some point sell my personal data... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I use AdGuard nowadays - and i think that's paid software as well?
Works reasonably well, and - well, at least it's not a subscription.

There's way too many apps nowadays that should really add a reasonably priced 'lifetime unlock'.
No, i don't want to pay 4.99 to be a "PicCollage VIP" ... would i pay 49.99 for a one-tie unlock? sure!

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sometimes it is worth paying for good things. I feel better when I know my add blocker is built by someone who can afford rent and food and is not forced to at some point sell my personal data... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Normally I would agree, but all the subscriptions are too much now. And I don't care if it's only 1,30€ or something for the yearly plan. How do I know if the developer keeps working on it? At least 1block offers a lifetime purchase for ~40€. But thats way too much for an ad blocker on my phone.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Normally I would agree, but all the subscriptions are too much now. And I don't care if it's only 1,30€ or something for the yearly plan. How do I know if the developer keeps working on it? At least 1block offers a lifetime purchase for ~40€. But thats way too much for an ad blocker on my phone.
I specifically chose not to go with the lifetime option for 1blocker because I have my doubts if it will still be useful 3+ years in the future. That said I paid for the annual and will again next year unless something better comes along. I am using it across multiple iOS and OSX devices between myself and my better half. Well worth it!

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

How do you know that your adblocker is not built by someone who takes your money and then later also sells your personal data for more money?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know that your adblocker is not built by someone who takes your money and then later also sells your personal data for more money?

With Safari (both mobile as well as macOS) extensions being so incredibly restrictive, can content blockers even harvest personal data?
Aren't they literally just smart filter lists that the browser checks against and then decide what website content to suppress?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
With Safari (both mobile as well as macOS) extensions being so incredibly restrictive, can content blockers even harvest personal data?
Aren't they literally just smart filter lists that the browser checks against and then decide what website content to suppress?

That's what it says in the extensions tab of my safari preferences on MacOS. My blocker does not have permission to read or transmit data from any webpages that I visit.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Best Buy had some holiday Apple Watch bands on sale for $10 over the weekend. Excited to get this one in later this week:

6385828cv14d.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Does somebody know when/how/if Apple has changed something regarding audio books? I know for a fact I had ripped and uploaded some to iCloud one or two years ago but they are gone now and don't show up anywhere :( That was when you still had to use iTunes for it. No idea where they have disappeared to, not Music, not Books …

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does somebody know when/how/if Apple has changed something regarding audio books? I know for a fact I had ripped and uploaded some to iCloud one or two years ago but they are gone now and don't show up anywhere :( That was when you still had to use iTunes for it. No idea where they have disappeared to, not Music, not Books …
Audiobooks are in the Books app now.