• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
I used a Mac Plus for years in the early '90s, upgraded with 4MB of RAM and a 40MB SCSI harddrive— just writing the numbers and units makes me laugh. Had the same autographed case as the original Mac; got to see when we put the extra RAM in it and when we (my dad) had to replace a burnt solder trace with a wire. Can still remember the smell of it booting/running.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good Usb C Dock? I'm in Canada. Would like to order a relatively inexpensive one as the one I currently have doesn't work so I can't access my external HDDs.

I have the 15" MacBook Pro 2016 with Touch Bar.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I used a Mac Plus for years in the early '90s, upgraded with 4MB of RAM and a 40MB SCSI harddrive— just writing the numbers and units makes me laugh. Had the same autographed case as the original Mac; got to see when we put the extra RAM in it and when we (my dad) had to replace a burnt solder trace with a wire. Can still remember the smell of it booting/running.

my first computer was an Apple IIgs that was signed by Woz. We bought an external 20 MB SCSI hard drive (Hard Disk 20SC) that was almost as big as the computer, and I think it cost more than the computer... And it used big square floppy disks.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I can't even open any more. Didn't know there was a limit.
Time for cleanup...

4vootPc.jpg

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/17/ifixit-2019-mac-pro-teardown/

you can't replace yourself the main SSD for the Mac Pro if you want it to be tied to the T2 security chip.

otherwise a "master class" in repair-ability.

Apple's really checking off a lot of boxes of their "things that totally make sense" list this year.
✅ "Pro oriented machine that, while super expensive, doesn't sacrifice upgradeability or repairability for the sake of having some 'fancy' design."

I wonder how long this streak will last (port-less iPhone Pro rumors?!) or how much further it'll go (bringing the headphone jack back...)
Honestly, i can't see either happening, but you never know...

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Apple's really checking off a lot of boxes of their "things that totally make sense" list this year.
✅ "Pro oriented machine that, while super expensive, doesn't sacrifice upgradeability or repairability for the sake of having some 'fancy' design."

I don't really feel that this really requires a gold star (I guess you weren't really saying that it does). This has been the norm for desktops elsewhere in the universe for...ever.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really feel that this really requires a gold star (I guess you weren't really saying that it does). This has been the norm for desktops elsewhere in the universe for...ever.

which is why i merely gave it a "check" on a list of "things that totally make sense".
Not a gold star on a list of "things that move the industry forward"

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder how long this streak will last (port-less iPhone Pro rumors?!) or how much further it'll go (bringing the headphone jack back...)
Honestly, i can't see either happening, but you never know...
The headphone jack on phones is dead and ain't coming back.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Asked this in the Headphones thread, but it's been silent so far. Since folks here use an Apple TV, maybe I can also inquire here.

I got a Christmas Bonus this year, and was looking for some headphone/earbud recommendations for a specific need.

I own a pair of last gen model Airpods that I use for my iPhone and Apple TV. I was thinking of getting the Airpod Pro as a second pair to use exclusively with the Apple TV, since I've read that it has improved sound.

But I wanted to get some opinions first on whether there were headphones/earbuds that produced better sound quality at around the same price or less. Since they're exclusively for movie watching, I want whatever delivers nice, booming sound. This includes virtual surround sound if it's an option.

I have a PS4 Platinum headset, but I suppose there's no way to get that working on the Apple TV.

If the Airpods Pro suffice for the price point, then I'll still lean towards those. Not looking to spend $500 or anything crazy.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The headphone jack on phones is dead and ain't coming back.
i absolutely agree.

Though they're really running out of measures to take to quickly / easily generate consumer goodwill
Asked this in the Headphones thread, but it's been silent so far. Since folks here use an Apple TV, maybe I can also inquire here.

I got a Christmas Bonus this year, and was looking for some headphone/earbud recommendations for a specific need.

I own a pair of last gen model Airpods that I use for my iPhone and Apple TV. I was thinking of getting the Airpod Pro as a second pair to use exclusively with the Apple TV, since I've read that it has improved sound/noise cancelling.

But I wanted to get some opinions first on whether there were headphones/earbuds that produced better sound quality at around the same price or less. Since they're exclusively for movie watching, I want whatever delivers nice, booming sound. This includes virtual surround sound if it's an option.

I have a PS4 Platinum headset, but I suppose there's no way to get that working on the Apple TV.

If the Airpods Pro suffice for the price point, then I'll still lean towards those. Not looking to spend $500 or anything crazy.
i can't imagine there not being headphones that offer the same sound quality for a cheaper price or better sound quality for the same price as AirPods pro.

like, if it's exclusively for movie watching, you can just get a pair of really good wireless over-ears. It's not like you need noise cancellation at home, right?

I cannot, however give you any specific recommendations...

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Hey guys, not caught up on the thread so my apologies if this has been asked to death. Are we expecting a Mac Mini refresh next year? How about the ARMpocalypse, is that actually gonna happen? Thanks

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an app that can let me download Bluray rips and play locally/offline? I'm travelling soon and want to take a few movies with me. I have plex but as I mostly stream I let my plexpass lapse - I think sync requires that?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I used Mac Quadros (I think?) probably late 80s, for a Desktop Publishing evening class using Quark Express and Pagemaker. They seemed so professional and futuristic at the time, although the interface was familiar enough - I had an Amiga at that time so mouse/GUI was easy to get used to

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an app that can let me download Bluray rips and play locally/offline? I'm travelling soon and want to take a few movies with me. I have plex but as I mostly stream I let my plexpass lapse - I think sync requires that?

On your mac or your iOS device? What format / codec are those Bluray rips? Shouldn't VLC play anything your throw at it perfectly fine, both on iOS and macOS?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
On your mac or your iOS device? What format / codec are those Bluray rips? Shouldn't VLC play anything your throw at it perfectly fine, both on iOS and macOS?

On iPad

I think they should be h264 - I compressed with handbrake to an (I think) iOS friendly version

Will VLC play direct from files?

woukd be great if I can browse direct from my iPad to my Plex folder (should be smb ) and download into files

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps take a look at Infuse. It direct plays anything i've thrown at it so far, is an excellent and beautiful front end for your content on (inter)network storage and also supports local stuff

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks both. Any tips on getting files into the files app? Can I just open a browser and download from a shared drive on my local network?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, not caught up on the thread so my apologies if this has been asked to death. Are we expecting a Mac Mini refresh next year? How about the ARMpocalypse, is that actually gonna happen? Thanks
Mac mini refresh is likely 2020 but the line has historically been neglected, so who knows.

ARM Macs could happen whenever, but there's no signs straight from Apple it's happening 2020.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get to take a lot of photos with the need of a flashlight but I just did some testing on my Xs Max Pro in my room which was almost completely dark and the first time I opened the camera, I had an option to turn on night mode but afterwards the option was gone.
First photos were okay but after that when I lost the option, all my photos came out blurry.

What gives?

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of subscribing to Apple Music for a bit to listen to new music for the first time in forever. I see lots of sites and apps for Spoitify where I can plug in a song or two, or a few artists, and have a playlist generate from that. I am not seeing that with Apple Music. Not possible?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of subscribing to Apple Music for a bit to listen to new music for the first time in forever. I see lots of sites and apps for Spoitify where I can plug in a song or two, or a few artists, and have a playlist generate from that. I am not seeing that with Apple Music. Not possible?

you can "create a station" based upon a song with Apple Music

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
One of the beauties of subscription based services is that you can pay for one for a month - try it out and see if you like the selection/UI etc., then you can cancel that one and try the next for the following month without really losing any money in the process. :)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone in here use the PaperLike screen protector on an iPad and use the Apple Pencil with it?

Just took back the gaming laptop I got last month and exchanged it for an iPad Pro 12.9 with an Apple Pencil and a Logitech Folio keyboard case — saved money, got a device that operates a bit more at my speed (I think I have a personality that's largely incompatible with PC gaming — I get obsessive with tinkering to the point where I just don't even play games); and I grabbed the pencil thinking I might pick up sketching again after a decent hiatus. I have no digital sketching experience, though, and used to just get notebooks to doodle and sketch in all the time, so getting used to plastic-on-glass is a bit weird feeling.

Just wondering if the newer Paperlike has been used by anyone here — it apparently doesn't distort image quality as much and has a coarser surface. I hear that it wears down the pencil tip faster but I don't mind getting replacements if need be. Just wondering if anyone thinks it works well when my iPad is going to function as my main computer, media consumption device, AND sketching tablet.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is killing me waiting for iPhone 12. Love my 7 Plus but the 32GB have been strangling me for months now. It's so tempting to just throw in the towel and get a XS Max or something but the notch is killer. And I love Touch ID so much.

All this speculation that the 12 will go notchless and bring back Touch ID better pay off. I'll be crushed if it doesn't. All my eggs are in this basket.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It is killing me waiting for iPhone 12. Love my 7 Plus but the 32GB have been strangling me for months now. It's so tempting to just throw in the towel and get a XS Max or something but the notch is killer. And I love Touch ID so much.

All this speculation that the 12 will go notchless and bring back Touch ID better pay off. I'll be crushed if it doesn't. All my eggs are in this basket.
Touch ID is dead.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'll quote you on this in a year when Touch ID returns in brilliant in-display fashion please oh god
We're just telling you that this isn't some kind of worst case scenario, if it doesn't return.

The notch doesn't matter. FaceID is superior to TouchID.
You want something irrelevant removed to bring back something that has been replaced by an already superior feature.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're just telling you that this isn't some kind of worst case scenario, if it doesn't return.

The notch doesn't matter. FaceID is superior to TouchID.
You want something irrelevant removed to bring back something that has been replaced by an already superior feature.
I don't see what's so superior about FaceID. I actually did have an iPhone 11 for a few days but returned it because I just wasn't feeling the phone overall.

It's... a quick and easy way to unlock your phone. Just like TouchID. Except one doesn't require me to look at the screen. And it's just like, 90% of the competition managed to keep fingerprint unlocking in addition to face unlocking. Why not just have both for the sake of options, if it's possible?

The biggest annoyance I had with FaceID in my few days of use with it is the fact that it's a 2-step process. Why do I have to swipe up even after it has "unlocked" and approved my face? Why look then swipe? Why not just look? Why can't it just dive right into the phone, just like my 7 Plus does the second I put my finger on the home button, not even needing to press it?

And I'm sure the notch is something I could get used to very quickly, but honestly, and I know this is nitpicky but it's just how I am - I absolutely loathed not being able to see the battery percentage at all times.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest annoyance I had with FaceID in my few days of use with it is the fact that it's a 2-step process. Why do I have to swipe up even after it has "unlocked" and approved my face? Why look then swipe? Why not just look? Why can't it just dive right into the phone, just like my 7 Plus does the second I put my finger on the home button, not even needing to press it?

because if it just unlocked without the swipe it would become nearly impossible to just look at your lock screen for glanceable info (time, notifications, accessing the camera and flashlight, etc.)

you can actually swipe right away before face id finishes and it'll just unlock as soon as it's done, to speed things up.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's as many steps as TouchID. One's a tap, one's a swipe up. In both cases you're looking at your phone. Why would you not, even when you're using touchID?

And the battery thing - i can see where you're coming from, but the granularity of the battery indicator should absolutely suffice. There's no meaningful difference between 62% and 68% battery. So you might wanna, you know, just try to let go of that desire :)

Again, i can only tell you: FaceID won't go away - the Notch might shrink ever so slightly in size next year, but it's not gonna go away any time soon.
And Apple has shown with the 11 / 11 Pro that they're willing to strip the phones of 'redundant features' for the sake of better battery life (and better margins...) like removing 3D touch. I don't see why they'd want to add a second layer of (imho worse) biometric authentication.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Next gen Touch ID will only be worthwhile if it's available on the whole screen imo. Only then would it be an actually great addition to FaceID, imagine face scan + tap anywhere on the screen to unlock as double authentication. Or something like continuous authentication where the phone will lock if it doesn't register your fingerprint once within a minute or so (outside of media playback).

That being said, I don't think its worthwhile holding out for the 2020 model if you hope for no notch and in-screen Touch ID. But I guess if you're not fond of Face ID that's your only sensible choice in terms of iPhones.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having an issue with my iPhone 11 pro that is driving me insane. I'm on 13.3.

when I'm using Apple or google maps in CarPlay, navigation loses GPS with the screen off and then just stops working. As soon asI unlock the phone, it catches up back. What the fuck? Both apps allow location and have background data checked.

on top of this, I still have the issue with Apple podcasts not auto refreshing. I have it set to refresh every hour, but I still have to open the app to pull new episodes.
Any ideas?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It's as many steps as TouchID. One's a tap, one's a swipe up. In both cases you're looking at your phone. Why would you not, even when you're using touchID?

And the battery thing - i can see where you're coming from, but the granularity of the battery indicator should absolutely suffice. There's no meaningful difference between 62% and 68% battery. So you might wanna, you know, just try to let go of that desire :)

Again, i can only tell you: FaceID won't go away - the Notch might shrink ever so slightly in size next year, but it's not gonna go away any time soon.
And Apple has shown with the 11 / 11 Pro that they're willing to strip the phones of 'redundant features' for the sake of better battery life (and better margins...) like removing 3D touch. I don't see why they'd want to add a second layer of (imho worse) biometric authentication.
With rest to unlock enabled on TouchID I can be at the home screen by the time I pull my phone out of my pocket. No tapping or looking required. It's very nice.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
With rest to unlock enabled on TouchID I can be at the home screen by the time I pull my phone out of my pocket. No tapping or looking required. It's very nice.

How quickly authentication happens when jumping between apps that require an unlock each time they're accessed without having to constantly reposition my thumb more than made that up for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I think FaceID has far more advantages on an iPad due to solving weird orientation stuff. On my phone it's definitely better in some situations (I can unlock my phone with wet hands!), but worse in others (not working at an angle on my desk, forcing me to look at the phone to use the Payment features.)

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
How quickly authentication happens when jumping between apps that require an unlock each time they're accessed without having to constantly reposition my thumb more than made that up for me.
That is a nice plus ya, although I can't say I really run into situations where I have to authenticate that often.

Really all I've wanted for awhile now is to just have both available to use.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017

I have a 7 plus now and i refuse to upgrade until touch ID comes back. I don't like face ID

I hope not

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I used the same config too. Unfortunately the fatal flaw of the Mac Plus was that it had no cooling fan, so once I moved to a city with hot summers and no A/C the power supply went poof.