• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I think my wife got me an Apple Watch for Christmas. Never really wanted one because I don't want notifications on my wrist but I sort of do want one for the new peloton app amongst other things. Should be interesting.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
yeah? haha I guess it will be pretty helpful.
Yup, it's not about getting "all your notifications on your wrist" - it's about only getting important notifications on your wrist. Which will make you look at your phone a lot less.
The watch isn't a "notifications relay" - it's a "notification filter", of sorts.
(all of this only applies if you take 5 minutes during setup to go through your list of possible notifications and decide which aren't worth a tap on your wrist)

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Will you still be able to use un-notarized software in Catalina easily by choosing to do so after Feb 2020?

Or is Apple about to make it impossible to run software that isn't notarized on Catalina without doing something drastic like turning off SIP?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will you still be able to use un-notarized software in Catalina easily by choosing to do so after Feb 2020?

Or is Apple about to make it impossible to run software that isn't notarized on Catalina without doing something drastic like turning off SIP?

can still manually open unsigned or unnotarized apps just like today, unnotarized apps just won't run automatically anymore (even if signed).

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
can still manually open unsigned or unnotarized apps just like today, unnotarized apps just won't run automatically anymore (even if signed).

whew. I got a few apps made by small devs that I regularly use. I don't know if they pay for an Apple dev account or if they have the time to get their app notarized.

i guess making an operating system that is used for development like MacOS into a completely sealed box like iOS would make it unusable for active software development.

MacOS may be a truck but sometimes trucks are still useful even if your not a trucker.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
The battery capacity on my Xs Max sat at 97% for months and today it suddenly dropped all the way to 93%
Should I be worried? I know it doesn't mean a lot on its own but this sudden 4 percent drop seems weird

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I need so badly for the MacBook Air to incorporate the new keyboard from the 16" Pro. Once that happens, I'm going to jump on an Air so fucking fast.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
My bank recently started supporting Apple Pay, so I enabled it on my phone. Now whenever I press the sleep button once, there's a small delay before the screen turns off. I assume this is because the phone's waiting for a possible second click, which would activate Apple Pay?
It's so annoying that I'm seriously considering turning it off again and just keep using my debit card.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
My bank recently started supporting Apple Pay, so I enabled it on my phone. Now whenever I press the sleep button once, there's a small delay before the screen turns off. I assume this is because the phone's waiting for a possible second click, which would activate Apple Pay?
It's so annoying that I'm seriously considering turning it off again and just keep using my debit card.

Why sit there and wait for the screen to turn off.
Press the button and put the phone away like everyone else.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I got an Apple Watch. Stainless steel. Kinda want to think about getting the aluminum because I like the dark tint of it. Hmm decisions.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
My Xr still sits at 100% after a year. I'm pretty sure that percentage is just some sort of software based guessing with a some rng.

I wouldn't be worried if it does not drop to 80% or something the next weeks/months.
Yeah, I've read that the word from Apple is about 80% after two years of use.
I'm just wondering why it would drop 4% overnight, that seems weird to me

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best Twitter client for iPad?

The official client has added a forced "Trending" pane to the right when used landscape and it eats 1/3 of the screen.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best Twitter client for iPad?

The official client has added a forced "Trending" pane to the right when used landscape and it eats 1/3 of the screen.
I've been using Tweetbot for years and don't see a reason to use anything else. None of the unnecessary fluff from the official app, a normal timeline and no sponsored/promoted tweets.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'll co-sign Tweetbot. You obviously miss out on stuff that twitter doesn't provide API support for (I guess notably votings and group DM conversations), but i see no other downside.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I can just see a bunch of idiots in a boardroom deciding to shove trends down people's throats because they aren't getting used enough.

Keen

Oct 29, 2017

Oh god, that's what it was! It was driving me nuts! Whenever I closed the screen the delay would make me left swipe the screen, affecting surfing and all kinds of stuff. Turned it off now, thanks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My son is way more pragmatic and sensible than me. He must get it from his mum :)
He has my hand me down 6s since I bought an X 2 years ago. He just git a very nice cash gift from his grandparents for starting university. I suggested a new phone but he is fine with the current one. Maybe in a years time he could get the 12 he says

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Man my brother in law got me the milanese band.. I love it, but it feels kind of cheap? $100 is a lot of money too for a band.

Really want to buy the Nomad brown leather band too.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'm in the market for a new iPhone, as my SE is kinda dying.

Looking at my options here : Amazon (and a few other places) got some refurbished XS with 256gb of storage for 700/750 euros which might be a no brainer compared to new iPhone XR (starting at 709 euros for 64gb) and 11 (starting at 809 euros for 64gb) ?

Last edited:

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the market for a new iPhone, as my SE is kinda dying.

Looking at my options here : Amazon (and a few other places) got some refurbished XS with 256gb of storage for 700/750 euros which might be a no brainer compared to new iPhone XR (starting at 709 euros for 64gb) and 11 (starting at 809 euros for 64gb) ?
Would you consider Apple finance? I got a 128GB 11 off them the other day and it'll cost me £31 a month for the next 24 months. Totals to around £779

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Is 32GB too paltry for the iPad 7th gen iPad? Would 32GB+50GB iCloud be a good solution. I am getting my Pops one for Christmas+Birthday. He doesn't do anything too fancy on his iPhone X. He barely has any apps, never takes pictures, doesn't listen to music, and doesn't even have his email connected to it. The email I'll sure set up for him on his iPad, but everything else won't change, in regards to his behavior.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Is 32GB too paltry for the iPad 7th gen iPad? Would 32GB+50GB iCloud be a good solution. I am getting my Pops one for Christmas+Birthday. He doesn't do anything too fancy on his iPhone X. He barely has any apps, never takes pictures, doesn't listen to music, and doesn't even have his email connected to it. The email I'll sure set up for him on his iPad, but everything else won't change, in regards to his behavior.
It's more than enough for his usage.
I also have a 32gb iPad that I use for work (all I do is word processing)/web browsing/Youtube/Netflix and don't feel the need for more internal storage in a era where cloud services are ubiquitous.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
should be fine. My mom also uses a 32GB ipad 2017 as her only computer and is tapped into my iCloud plan, she never complained about storage so far.

Vagrant

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've read that the word from Apple is about 80% after two years of use.
I'm just wondering why it would drop 4% overnight, that seems weird to me
I was about to ask that. Yesterday I checked my dad's iPhone 7 and mom's 6+, and both had over 90%, and my Xs is already on 86%. Does it matter if you use the iPad charger?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if anyone cares, but Apple changed the black leather case to gray (but still calls it black). I wonder if it will darken over time? I personally prefer the old black leather case look. Also, ignore my dirty desk.

IMG-0104.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get Windows 10 booting via Bootcamp to work with my eGPU anymore. I had to delete and create a new partition, a new installation of Windows 10, and I can't get it to work like it used to. I used to be able to boot from OS X into Windows 10 and have it work just fine, but now it hangs on boot and hot plugging the eGPU gives me the Error 12 problem; I've tried disabling the other ports and isight camera, but I can't get it to work. I don't want to permanently disable SIP. Any ideas?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone cares, but Apple changed the black leather case to gray (but still calls it black). I wonder if it will darken over time? I personally prefer the old black leather case look. Also, ignore my dirty desk.

IMG-0104.jpg
Reminds me of when their "black" silicon cases were blatantly grey.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was about to ask that. Yesterday I checked my dad's iPhone 7 and mom's 6+, and both had over 90%, and my Xs is already on 86%. Does it matter if you use the iPad charger?
No. Assuming your iPhone doesn't get really hot while charging, which it shouldn't.
battery health is obviously dependent on usage. You probably use your phone more than your parents.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
How does iPadOs run on the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd gen)?
Trying to decide if I want to upgrade either of them from iOS 12.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on an iPad Mini and a Pencil for college. Amazon has the 64GB for £384 compared to £399 from Apple. My current iPad 4 can't really cut it anymore, way too laggy for a lot of tasks and it's missing out on all the good iPad OS stuff.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm now I'm looking to buy Apple Watch bands. I want a Nylon, leather and sport one. Thinking brown for the leather.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my eGPU working with Windows 10 again. Turned out the newest versions of Windows is just borked with some eGPUs and AMD cards, which is why I couldn't get it to work. I had to track down a version of Windows from like May of this year and use that, and then disable updates.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I got given some Crucial RAM (2x 16GB DDR4) for my 2019 iMac for Christmas.

I've yet to add the additional RAM, but apparently it's inadvisable to mix different RAM manufacturers in a computer? I currently only have the standard 8GB of RAM in there and was hoping to update to 40GB.

Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I just joined the iPhone family! My wife was already an iPhone user but I was an android user. She had a pretty beat up 7s and I was rocking a low budget stylo 4. It was time for us to consolidate our phone plans, so I went down to T-Mobile and got a pretty good deal on two XR's. All I know is so far I love this phone and Im kinda mad I never gave iPhone a chance earlier.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I got given some Crucial RAM (2x 16GB DDR4) for my 2019 iMac for Christmas.

I've yet to add the additional RAM, but apparently it's inadvisable to mix different RAM manufacturers in a computer? I currently only have the standard 8GB of RAM in there and was hoping to update to 40GB.

Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks.

no you can mix. If it works when you put it in then it will always work (unless something breaks). Mixing is fine as long as it's the right kind of ram.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Got a bunch of Gift cards from Amazon and Thinking about picking up some AirPods.

Don't know if I should go with second gen with wireless charging case or AirPod Pros. Idk if the Pros are worth a $100 more then 2nd gen though.