• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Got a bunch of Gift cards from Amazon and Thinking about picking up some AirPods.

Don't know if I should go with second gen with wireless charging case or AirPod Pros. Idk if the Pros are worth a $100 more then 2nd gen though.
I have the OG Airpods and they're great, but if you have the income and want something even better I'd jump on the Pro's.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're just web browsing, emails and doing media consumption, is a 16" MBP overkill? I love the screen size but I feel like a 13" pro would do the job while saving a grand.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
If you're just web browsing, emails and doing media consumption, is a 16" MBP overkill? I love the screen size but I feel like a 13" pro would do the job while saving a grand.
Anything over and above a base model is probably overkill for those needs, but for media consumption I guess there's an argument for the larger screen size. Maybe ask yourself what you could buy with that extra cash and see if you'd prefer to go down that route.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

A 13" air would do the job and save you a grand and change. Considered an iPad?

Assumptions are the 13" will become the 14" in spring so may be worth holding out and that may help rationalise your decision

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything over and above a base model is probably overkill for those needs, but for media consumption I guess there's an argument for the larger screen size. Maybe ask yourself what you could buy with that extra cash and see if you'd prefer to go down that route.

A 13" air would do the job and save you a grand and change. Considered an iPad?

Assumptions are the 13" will become the 14" in spring so may be worth holding out and that may help rationalise your decision

I do have an iPad which I do most of my browsing on, but I would also use my laptop to remote into my work desktop when I work from home (which is like once a month ish). I figured I'd can use the extra cash for like a usb-c capable monitor (I saw one on amazon for like 450).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does your work remote need specific software to remote in? There are several VNC/RDP apps on iPad and now you can use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard I think it's an option for that use case too. At least worth trying out

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Man when using your phone for GPS in the car and your Apple Watch is also buzzing on your wrist when you have to turn.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
What brightness do people usually keep their iPads on? I usually keep my iPhone around 1/3-1/2 and that's fine but I always have my iPad (12.9" 2018 Pro) on full blast. I use it 90% for watching media and playing games and I like the picture to look as good as possible for both but the battery life isn't great. Feels like I get around 2.5-3.5 hours. I'm charging it nearly every day and worry I'll ruin the battery over time.

Also, how do people feel about True Tone? I always have my TV's on warm so it looks normal to me. Whites look really blue with it switched off. Just wondered what the general consensus was on it

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Any retina MBP 15" since 2012 is fast enough and probably overkill for that. If you want a larger screen there are no other options though.
even an Air is more than enough

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
iOS 13 keeps on delivering. Just got stuck in the app switcher with no way to get out (I could lock/unlock the phone and go to the camera etc, but not get out of the app switcher or change apps) and couldn't even soft-shutdown the phone lol

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here use iTunes Match (or whatever it's called now with the Music app rename)? Having weird syncing issues where some albums won't update on my iPhone/iPad that I changed in macOS, even after selecting the syncing menu option again to force it a second time.

(That and I can't seem to find in iOS if there's a way to sort playlists outside of the default option it does, since the ordering is different than what I have in macOS's Music app.)

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
w0gPymT.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
noticing some weird CPU throttling in boot camp on my 16" mbp. doesn't seem like a thermal problem as temps are around 75c (and apple loves to run their shit in the 90s). not sure what's going on but it's making my video games stutter and i am inconsolably upset

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to grab a new iPad. Love using my wife's Air 2 but want my own so I can use my own iMessage on it and what not.

Considering these use cases ...

Comics
Resetera
Reddit
Various other light browsing

Would the 2019 base level iPad be good enough? The A10 makes me nervous for longevity but 3GB of RAM helps.

Other options are of course the current Air and Mini. I'm really tempted by the size of the Mini but concerned it'd be too small for comics without zooming constantly. And the Pros are definitely overkill for my uses.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The battery on my new Macbook Pro seems to be draining a lot faster than what other people report. It's a 13", 16GB RAM custom job. Any pointers? I fired up the console and started killing random processes but that was not a good idea as other things started not working properly.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to grab a new iPad. Love using my wife's Air 2 but want my own so I can use my own iMessage on it and what not.

Considering these use cases ...

Comics
Resetera
Reddit
Various other light browsing

Would the 2019 base level iPad be good enough? The A10 makes me nervous for longevity but 3GB of RAM helps.

Other options are of course the current Air and Mini. I'm really tempted by the size of the Mini but concerned it'd be too small for comics without zooming constantly. And the Pros are definitely overkill for my uses.
If you aren't using it for any heavy creative applications, the base iPad will be more than powerful enough

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't using it for any heavy creative applications, the base iPad will be more than powerful enough
Do you think the display will be a step down from the Air 2 since it's not laminated? Or that the A10 will cause it to not get updates in say 3 years? Seems crazy that Apple would sell a device they'd kill off so soon but you never know.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the display will be a step down from the Air 2 since it's not laminated? Or that the A10 will cause it to not get updates in say 3 years? Seems crazy that Apple would sell a device they'd kill off so soon but you never know.
I'm not really sure what answer to give you. you're asking if the features on the cheaper device are worse than the more expensive device, which...yeah they are. But if you're looking just for a browsing/streaming tablet, there's no reason you can't get a good 4-5 years out of this. Era and reddit aren't demanding, and don't really benefit from a laminated screen

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure what answer to give you. you're asking if the features on the cheaper device are worse than the more expensive device, which...yeah they are. But if you're looking just for a browsing/streaming tablet, there's no reason you can't get a good 4-5 years out of this. Era and reddit aren't demanding, and don't really benefit from a laminated screen
Yeah I was basically just asking if it's noticeable in day to day use having a technically inferior screen. :)

Still wild to me that they put an A10 in a product released in 2019.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was basically just asking if it's noticeable in day to day use having a technically inferior screen. :)

I don't think you'd notice the screen in any big fashion. It's a thing you can see if you're looking for it, but it's still a great quality screen. The base iPad is one of the best values Apple has going right now imo

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Are there any good apps that would allow me to use ResetEra unofficial themes on Safari 13? I recently upgraded and lost all my extensions which is a bummer but I really don't wanna switch to Firefox/Chrome due to battery life concerns.

What do you guys use? After a quick search, I found Tampermonkey and Cascadea that supposedly would get the job done, however, both are paid apps and I'd prefer not going in blind.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good apps that would allow me to use ResetEra unofficial themes on Safari 13? I recently upgraded and lost all my extensions which is a bummer but I really don't wanna switch to Firefox/Chrome due to battery life concerns.

What do you guys use? After a quick search, I found Tampermonkey and Cascadea that supposedly would get the job done, however, both are paid apps and I'd prefer not going in blind.

I hear good things about Cascadea, which I am definitely not the developer of and have no bias towards whatsoever

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

I use both and they both work as advertised and regularly receive updates. Losing user scripts especially would definitely make me consider switching browsers, so I happily tossed the few bucks towards the developer who has constantly put up with all the shit Apple has pulled re Safari extensions in the past two (?) years despite the assumedly small user base. I hope one day their efforts will pay off and the extension can be used without much further ado on mobile Safari. One of the things I still dearly miss on iPadOS in regards to the browser (in addition to the glaring lack of pinned tabs).

I'm btw not sure which of the two you need for your theming (I assume Cascadea?), just wanted to confirm that both are totally worth it.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
I hear good things about Cascadea, which I am definitely not the developer of and have no bias towards whatsoever
I use both and they both work as advertised and regularly receive updates. Losing user scripts especially would definitely make me consider switching browsers, so I happily tossed the few bucks towards the developer who has constantly put up with all the shit Apple has pulled re Safari extensions in the past two (?) years despite the assumedly small user base. I hope one day their efforts will pay off and the extension can be used without much further ado on mobile Safari. One of the things I still dearly miss on iPadOS in regards to the browser (in addition to the glaring lack of pinned tabs).

I'm btw not sure which of the two you need for your theming (I assume Cascadea?), just wanted to confirm that both are totally worth it.
Ended up getting Cascadea. All my themes work perfectly but I have trouble installing the Live Thread script for this site. I'm getting a URL not supported error message. The script is hosted on GreasyFork if it matters.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What do you consider the oldest iPhone still completely fine for day to day use including games? I'm thinking 6s/SE - and maybe they have 1-2 more years in them?

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I'm buying an Ipad Pro 12,9 this week for art purpose, but a friend told me there's rumors about à 15" 2020 model coming very soon. I searched but didn't find a lot of serious infos on that. Can somebody knowledgeable on Apple's modus operandi help me on this one? Are the yearly upgrades significant? When are they usually expected?

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
What do you consider the oldest iPhone still completely fine for day to day use including games? I'm thinking 6s/SE - and maybe they have 1-2 more years in them?
I think 6s and later are perfectly fine for normal everyday use.

My sister returned me my old iPhone 7 yesterday because she bought an iPhone 11 and I'm amazed at how good it holds up performance-wise.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Okay this is a dumb question. But I have an HBO account via ATT's Watch TV deal.

Is it possible to sign in on the new MacOS TV app and watch there - bypassing the trash tier website for HBO? And do I need Apple TV sub for it?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I'm buying an Ipad Pro 12,9 this week for art purpose, but a friend told me there's rumors about à 15" 2020 model coming very soon. I searched but didn't find a lot of serious infos on that. Can somebody knowledgeable on Apple's modus operandi help me on this one? Are the yearly upgrades significant? When are they usually expected?
Strong doubt on a 15" version, but the Pros will probably be refreshed around March/April. The current models are still very good, however.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
So towards the end of my school semester a couple weeks back I ran into issues running certain coding programs on my new MBP with Catalina (Mongo DB, mainly, but some PHP stuff as well). I have my old MBP from 2012 that I have Mojave on and those coding programs work fine and don't require workarounds. I'm heading into a new semester and will be working with some new coding programs and I don't want to be running into issues like I did a couple weeks back. Should I just go ahead and install Mojave on my new MBP and just upgrade to Catalina once stuff gets worked out?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is there any way to 'reset' my battery? I have a feeling my iPad Pro battery is always lying to me, from 100 to 90% it takes ages, then from 90 to 20 or 15 it goes super quickly and then from there to 0 it starts to go slow again. Sometimes I fully charge my iPad then I use it for half hour (web browsing) and the battery is still at 100 or very very close to it (99 98). The same half hour makes it drop 5-10% easily in other moments...

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to 'reset' my battery? I have a feeling my iPad Pro battery is always lying to me, from 100 to 90% it takes ages, then from 90 to 20 or 15 it goes super quickly and then from there to 0 it starts to go slow again. Sometimes I fully charge my iPad then I use it for half hour (web browsing) and the battery is still at 100 or very very close to it (99 98). The same half hour makes it drop 5-10% easily in other moments...

not really. But if you run it to zero and then wait a little bit, say 10min to one hour, to plug it in then it will kind of do that a little bit maybe.

a free Mac app like coconut battery can tell you your iPads battery health and percentage of its original capacity that it still has. There may also be iOS apps on the App Store that do the same thing, not sure.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
So towards the end of my school semester a couple weeks back I ran into issues running certain coding programs on my new MBP with Catalina (Mongo DB, mainly, but some PHP stuff as well). I have my old MBP from 2012 that I have Mojave on and those coding programs work fine and don't require workarounds. I'm heading into a new semester and will be working with some new coding programs and I don't want to be running into issues like I did a couple weeks back. Should I just go ahead and install Mojave on my new MBP and just upgrade to Catalina once stuff gets worked out?

I got tired of dealing with things like that and started using a Linux VM for these things.