• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So towards the end of my school semester a couple weeks back I ran into issues running certain coding programs on my new MBP with Catalina (Mongo DB, mainly, but some PHP stuff as well). I have my old MBP from 2012 that I have Mojave on and those coding programs work fine and don't require workarounds. I'm heading into a new semester and will be working with some new coding programs and I don't want to be running into issues like I did a couple weeks back. Should I just go ahead and install Mojave on my new MBP and just upgrade to Catalina once stuff gets worked out?
Use a VM or Docker instead. Since we moved everything to docker, my life as a developer has become much easier.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
My cellular data usage exploded under iOS13. I have a 9GB plan and most of my cellular data usage according to my iPhone is used by "documents & sync". I have iCloud Drive set to not use cellular data.

But if I turn on my cellular data then the documents and sync category just goes up by 10-30mb in ten minutes when I'm not even using my phone.

I did an exhaustive search on the internet and found nothing. I reinstalled iOS13 from scratch and it still happens. I called apple and then are fighting with me about referring my case up to an engineer.

The senior support person that I just spoke with kept changing what he was telling me the "documents and sync" data category actually includes.

Ugh...

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Anyone else have had problems with WiFi on the iPhone 11 Pro? I just got mine a few days ago and for some odd reason, in apps, my wifi doesn't seem to function very well. I just tried viewing wallpapers in Vellum and with WiFi I couldn't get any of them to load but switching to 4G everything loaded just fine. Not sure if it's connected to me using a eSIM on it. Never had this issue before on any phone.

I tried the network reset function but that hasn't worked. Also noticed that sometimes I lose mobile internet too, like it shows that I have connected to 4G/3G and I have full bars and calls function, but I cannot load anything from the internet.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best Reddit app? I'm trying to decide if I like Apollo or Narwhal more, are there any other good ones?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Apollo is my favorite. I tried a few othres. Narwhal is cool too. I think I had another once that I preferred over Narwhal but I forgot it was... it was good too.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Razer Deathadder Elite for my Mac (to replace my ageing standard Deathadder). When I plug it in OSX comes up with a box to select the keyboard type (which obviously I can't do) and for some reason the mouse doesn't work (it has power, and the lights are working). I'm sure I had this same thing pop up when I tried the original Deathadder but I don't know that I did anything different.

Any ideas?

The Razer software doesn't help. I had though of trying out USB Overdrive (which seems to have been well received) but I don't know if it's going to help the fact that the mouse isn't even moving the cursor.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Razer Deathadder Elite for my Mac (to replace my ageing standard Deathadder). When I plug it in OSX comes up with a box to select the keyboard type (which obviously I can't do) and for some reason the mouse doesn't work (it has power, and the lights are working). I'm sure I had this same thing pop up when I tried the original Deathadder but I don't know that I did anything different.

Any ideas?

The Razer software doesn't help. I had though of trying out USB Overdrive (which seems to have been well received) but I don't know if it's going to help the fact that the mouse isn't even moving the cursor.
The popup is probably due to the fact that the mouse allows you to program and execute macros - which means it's able to send keyboard commands. So there's some chip in there that identifies as generic keyboard or somesuch.

i have no idea why it wouldn't even move the cursor 🤨

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
My cellular data usage exploded under iOS13. I have a 9GB plan and most of my cellular data usage according to my iPhone is used by "documents & sync". I have iCloud Drive set to not use cellular data.

But if I turn on my cellular data then the documents and sync category just goes up by 10-30mb in ten minutes when I'm not even using my phone.

I did an exhaustive search on the internet and found nothing. I reinstalled iOS13 from scratch and it still happens. I called apple and then are fighting with me about referring my case up to an engineer.

The senior support person that I just spoke with kept changing what he was telling me the "documents and sync" data category actually includes.

Ugh...

when you say 'from scratch' do you mean you set up as a new phone? no backup?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
when you say 'from scratch' do you mean you set up as a new phone? no backup?

yes I didn't use a backup to set up my phone.

But I logged back into my iCloud account and installed most of my same apps.

my wife's phone on the same iCloud account has used like 7MB in the documents & sync category this month. I have used like 1GB and it just keeps going up all the time while I'm not using my phone.

I am supposed to get a call back from Apple tomorrow they said they were going to try to get an engineer to look at my situation. We will see... so far I haven't had a lot of luck getting feedback on what is happening or where the data use is coming from so that I can turn it off.

If Apple can't tell me anything then I'm gonna try to log completely out of my iCloud account and use my phone that way if possible and see what happens.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Should we expect a refreshed MacBook Air this year?

Apple in July 2019 introduced a minor refresh for the MacBook Air, adding a True Tone display, updated butterfly keyboard, and most importantly, a more affordable price tag starting at $1,099. The MacBook Air continues to feature a Retina display, slim bezels, Touch ID, 8th-gen Intel chips, up to 16GB RAM, and up to a 1TB SSD.

buyersguide.macrumors.com

MacRumors Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy iPhone, Mac, iPad

This page provides a product summary for each Apple model. The intent is to provide our best recommendations regarding current product cycles, and to provide a summary of currently available rumors for each model. This page is based on rumors and speculation and we provide no guarantee to its...

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how I can clear out podcast sync data from icloud? Something is broken, and it's very frustrating. I have two apple TVs, and ipad pro, iphone 11, and a macbook. I listen to podcasts on my iphone 99% of the time. Since ios13, the podcasts app does not refresh until I open the app.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone. I turned off refreshing to manual on my apple tvs, ipad, and macbook. The phone is set to refresh every hour. I've toggled sync on and off on the phone.

I know something is broken with sync, because settings on one of my podcasts keeps reverting. I have it set to only keep the last 3 episodes, but something keeps setting it back to 'play most recent first'. I'm at my wits end. Driving me nuts.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Hi everyone I have a few questions and didn't want to started a thread so if you could get me that would be great.

first off my boyfriend and I both have 6s (Him) and I have a 6s Plus and are upgrading to iPhone 12 in September and I've started saving for both since December.

my wish list for iPhone 12 is Touch ID to return and no bezel.

I have also started saving for AirPods also but would it be safe to by AirPods 2 now as we are not interested in AirPods Pro, just afraid they will announce AirPods 3, should I hold out for now?

Thank you

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
My wishlist for iPhone 12 is just for the bezel to be much thinner. I want the screen to go to the edge. Whether it means the phone gets smaller or the screen gets bigger. As long as the bezels are so thin I don't notice them. If the notch can go too then even better. I don't need Touch ID back. I'm really enjoying the convenience of Face ID. It unlocks even when I'm not expecting it. Before I even look at the phone sometimes.

Also I want to be able to unlock and go to the homescreen without having to swipe. Basicall y I want the side buttons to have touch sensors in them that detect a swipe. It's be subtle but it would be a nice QOL addition.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
my wish list for iPhone 12 is Touch ID to return and no bezel.
I have also started saving for AirPods also but would it be safe to by AirPods 2 now as we are not interested in AirPods Pro, just afraid they will announce AirPods 3, should I hold out for now?

iPhone 12
Some rumors of a smaller face ID, some rumors of underscreen Touch ID...but we are a few months away from solid hardware leaks. I don't expect the rim of the device to get any smaller for a few years; it's already about as thin as it will get without compromising the fragility of the glass, and Apple doesn't seem interested in faking it by bending the display on the sides.

Airpods 3
Timewise, it wouldn't shock anyone to see new Airpods in March. But there is very little left to improve in the old design; the only two candidates I can think of are a slightly bigger battery (unlikely) or colors. I'd feel confident buying now if you find a sale because there is no obvious missing feature. The only significant rumor right now is that Apple was considering packing them in with future iPhone Pros.

So new iPad Pros are expected at the March event?

Sounds like it. Current rumor mill highlights would be:
  • Same form factor, but with the iPhone 11 Camera box
  • A13X internals (so, probably more RAM)
  • Possibly MiniLED display, though I have my doubts that's ready to go for mobile screens
  • Rumors of ToF camera. Seems pretty likely to happen this year, just a question of whether they debut on iPad or iPhone

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I asked in the iPhone 11 thread but I'll ask here too.

Can anyone recommend a case and credit card holder for my iPhone 11 that's clear. I mean the case should be clear. I want it completely clear with no dark plastic. I don't need protection. I just want to see the red color of my phone. I told the woman at the AT&T store who tried to sell me a clear Otterbox case that I didn't care about protection and she acted like I was crazy. But I wasn't paying $50 for that case. If I'm gonna pay that much I'd just get the official $40 Apple case.

Then also i need something to hold credit cards and a bit of cash in possibly that sticks to the back but I don't know which ones are good enough. The price seems to vary. I just want one that will stick to my phone or case and will hold my cards securely without making it difficult to get them when I need them. Gonna browse Amazon or NewEgg.

Question: Do credit cards interfere with wireless charging?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, the article says "Thus, if you're listening to MP3 or AAC files that you have stored on your smartphone, tablet, or computer, Bluetooth doesn't have to degrade the sound quality if both devices supports that format."
Does Apple use a good custom codec with say the PowerBeats Pro or AirPods?

Edit: HomePod must use WiFi
yeah, Apple used AAC as the codec for all their W1 and H1 headphones, which is also what iTunes and Apple Music is encoded in, so there shouldn't be audible quality loss on that front at least
So going back to our Bluetooth audio codec quality discussion from a couple of months ago, interestingly enough, the Bluetooth group announced the Bluetooth 5.2 standard this week, which among other features catered toward AirPod-like headphones, offers what will likely be perceived transparent audio.

AnandTech article.

So basically, in 18 months to 2 years, as long as your new devices (including cars and other things that tend to lag behind on Bluetooth standards) support Bluetooth 5.2, the audio quality problem will no longer be an issue. You won't have to worry about "do all my devices support AAC/aptx/etc. over Bluetooth, or will my quality be garbage?" any more. Awesome news. Hopefully they'll continue to incorporate some of the ease of use features from the AirPods, etc. to the Bluetooth standard as well.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I asked in the iPhone 11 thread but I'll ask here too.

Can anyone recommend a case and credit card holder for my iPhone 11 that's clear. I mean the case should be clear. I want it completely clear with no dark plastic. I don't need protection. I just want to see the red color of my phone. I told the woman at the AT&T store who tried to sell me a clear Otterbox case that I didn't care about protection and she acted like I was crazy. But I wasn't paying $50 for that case. If I'm gonna pay that much I'd just get the official $40 Apple case.

Then also i need something to hold credit cards and a bit of cash in possibly that sticks to the back but I don't know which ones are good enough. The price seems to vary. I just want one that will stick to my phone or case and will hold my cards securely without making it difficult to get them when I need them. Gonna browse Amazon or NewEgg.

Question: Do credit cards interfere with wireless charging?
if they're on the back, i could see the RFID coil in the credit card heating up like crazy.

iPhone 12
Some rumors of a smaller face ID, some rumors of underscreen Touch ID...but we are a few months away from solid hardware leaks. I don't expect the rim of the device to get any smaller for a few years; it's already about as thin as it will get without compromising the fragility of the glass, and Apple doesn't seem interested in faking it by bending the display on the sides.

Airpods 3
Timewise, it wouldn't shock anyone to see new Airpods in March. But there is very little left to improve in the old design; the only two candidates I can think of are a slightly bigger battery (unlikely) or colors. I'd feel confident buying now if you find a sale because there is no obvious missing feature. The only significant rumor right now is that Apple was considering packing them in with future iPhone Pros.

• Possibly MiniLED display, though I have my doubts that's ready to go for mobile screens
  • Rumors of ToF camera. Seems pretty likely to happen this year, just a question of whether they debut on iPad or iPhone

Bundling AirPods with the iPhone? yeah, no.

The only improvements to the (non pro) AirPods that i could eventually see happening: Slightly shorter stem, better power efficiency, and possibly (hopefully) some kind of additional 'interaction method' for volume control... i dunno, like touch and swipe?
(also maybe they'll inherit the "squeezable stem" from the AirPods Pro, because tapping your AirPods / temple looks dumb af)

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
iPhone 12

Airpods 3

Thank you I'll hold off for now

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Gmail app on iOS 13 (iPad) is kinda garbo, doesn't support multitask, can't browse files to send them (unless it's pictures/stuff on Google Drive)...
Am I missing something?
Is there a better option out there?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So going back to our Bluetooth audio codec quality discussion from a couple of months ago, interestingly enough, the Bluetooth group announced the Bluetooth 5.2 standard this week, which among other features catered toward AirPod-like headphones, offers what will likely be perceived transparent audio.

AnandTech article.

So basically, in 18 months to 2 years, as long as your new devices (including cars and other things that tend to lag behind on Bluetooth standards) support Bluetooth 5.2, the audio quality problem will no longer be an issue. You won't have to worry about "do all my devices support AAC/aptx/etc. over Bluetooth, or will my quality be garbage?" any more. Awesome news. Hopefully they'll continue to incorporate some of the ease of use features from the AirPods, etc. to the Bluetooth standard as well.

that's interesting. I know that significantly improving the audio quality transmitted over Bluetooth while lowering the amount of energy used would require rewriting the laws of physics.

Given that this comment made on theloop was interesting to me:

LE Audio will "offers improvements in perceived audio quality at a lower bit rate". I wasn't sure what they mean by "perceived" when they say "perceived audio quality". But they sure are careful not to call it an actual improvement in audio quality.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019

I caved and bought AirPods 2 today but still saving for iPhone 12 they are fab :)

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
16" MBP has been great so far. Keyboard isn't as good as the old one (I mean 2014 era ;-) but not totally broken either. CPU advertised as 2.4 GHz 8 core can sustain 2.5 GHz under linpack torture test which is surprisingly good imo. Touch Bar still remains as useless gimmick though.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thinking about getting an iPad Pro soon. I do love my Samsung Galaxy tab s6 for everything else but people were right when they said the drawing apps just don't compare. Debating if it's worth waiting until March to see what the new ones are or just getting one now because the jump won't really mean a lot to me.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Now that's interesting. I'll take more performance for certain situations in exchange for some fan noise. Here is hope upcoming Macs get a dedicated turbo button 🥳

fun fact, the turbo button was actually not a turbo button, but rather a throttle button that clocked down the CPU. (for compatibility reasons)
"Turbo" was simply the base speed of the PC.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5: Is Zeyphersan ok? Haven't seen them post in months.

now that you mention it, yeah they haven't been around. We could try tagging Zeyphersan and see if they appear.

Looks like they posted Oct 21st, which was the first time in a month. so maybe Zey is just busy with actual real life stuff. :)

Hey people, I appreciate the concern. Haven't been posting recently for a few reasons, but relevant to this thread was that it wasn't great for my mental health to spend all day working with/fixing Apple stuff then coming home and continuing to do the same thing on internet message boards. There wasn't a real work/life balance which meant that I was never really "off the clock" and that was taking a toll. I deleted my Reddit accounts to ensure that I couldn't do any posting over there, or even have a customized home screen that was all the Apple stuff. I like this site more so I won't be deleting my account, but my end goal is the same.

If anyone really needs something from me my PMs are of course open, but I won't be posting in or really browsing any Apple threads anymore. I hope you all understand. I had built my online identity, both here and at the old place, around discussing and helping people with Apple stuff, and while I don't regret any of that at all, it's time for me to build a new identity. One that's more offline and more myself and not an internet avatar, and one that doesn't make my brain be in work mode 24/7.

All the best to everyone!

Vagrant

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody knows why photos would give me warnings that I'm running out of space, even thou I have at least 10 Gb free and 2 TB on iCloud?

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any idea how to make my HomePod the dominant device again when saying "Hey Siri"?
It seems recently, my iPhone or iPad want to tkae control, even in the same room when previously this was never the case.
Nothing has changed settings wise, I've reset the HomePod and it still happens.

I dont want to have to put my iPhone and iPad face down just to get HomePod working when I need it.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Hey people, I appreciate the concern. Haven't been posting recently for a few reasons, but relevant to this thread was that it wasn't great for my mental health to spend all day working with/fixing Apple stuff then coming home and continuing to do the same thing on internet message boards. There wasn't a real work/life balance which meant that I was never really "off the clock" and that was taking a toll. I deleted my Reddit accounts to ensure that I couldn't do any posting over there, or even have a customized home screen that was all the Apple stuff. I like this site more so I won't be deleting my account, but my end goal is the same.

If anyone really needs something from me my PMs are of course open, but I won't be posting in or really browsing any Apple threads anymore. I hope you all understand. I had built my online identity, both here and at the old place, around discussing and helping people with Apple stuff, and while I don't regret any of that at all, it's time for me to build a new identity. One that's more offline and more myself and not an internet avatar, and one that doesn't make my brain be in work mode 24/7.

All the best to everyone!

take care, thanks for helping folks out and glad to see you are ok.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Does anyone else have trouble getting their Apple Watch to hear them say "hey Siri?" I have a series 5, and I sometimes have to say it 3 or 4 times before it will hear me.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any idea how to make my HomePod the dominant device again when saying "Hey Siri"?
It seems recently, my iPhone or iPad want to tkae control, even in the same room when previously this was never the case.
Nothing has changed settings wise, I've reset the HomePod and it still happens.

I dont want to have to put my iPhone and iPad face down just to get HomePod working when I need it.

Do you even use Hey Siri on your iPhone / iPad? Is it an option to just turn it off on these devices?

Zeyphersan : Take care! All the best!

Oct 25, 2017
Do you even use Hey Siri on your iPhone / iPad? Is it an option to just turn it off on these devices?

Zeyphersan : Take care! All the best!
I do yea, to set timers and random stuff.
Its really, really infuriating and making me want to pack the HomePod up and just not bother with it.
Why Apple hasn't given an option to make it the default device is beyond me, but then they wont let anyone mess with the bass of the thing either, so I guess its not too surprising.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I do yea, to set timers and random stuff.
Its really, really infuriating and making me want to pack the HomePod up and just not bother with it.
Why Apple hasn't given an option to make it the default device is beyond me, but then they wont let anyone mess with the bass of the thing either, so I guess its not too surprising.
Apple - it just works
unless it doesn't

It's like hand-off and other continuity features (like copy-paste across devices) ... 95% of the time it works 'magically', but when it doesn't, it's an absolute pain in the ass to trouble shoot.

Have you tried to log out of and log back into iCloud on all of the devices? :/

Oct 25, 2017
Apple - it just works
unless it doesn't

It's like hand-off and other continuity features (like copy-paste across devices) ... 95% of the time it works 'magically', but when it doesn't, it's an absolute pain in the ass to trouble shoot.

Have you tried to log out of and log back into iCloud on all of the devices? :/
Not yet, but that along with reset my iPhone is the last ditch effort.
If anything I'd rather switch to an Alexa than put up with this, lol