• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Try the iCloud thing before a full restore. That usually fixes most of these 'intra-iDevice-issues'

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter's XR on ios13.x won't stop asking for her iCloud password. Apparently she's been entering it over and over but finally told me last night.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Best Buy had Apple Watch bands 20% off last week and silly me thought the sale would last longer and I ended up missing out on it completely.

Damn my resistance to spending money!

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy had Apple Watch bands 20% off last week and silly me thought the sale would last longer and I ended up missing out on it completely.

Damn my resistance to spending money!

a lot of the bands for sale on Alibaba are almost indistinguisable and they cost like 5 dollars if your willing to wait a month for delivery.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but the Spotify app on the iPhone is steaming garbage in that it only allows shuffle play (not sure if this also applies to paid members, but I have no interest in a paid subscription atm).

Is there perhaps a third party app that let's me browse my Spotify account like normal?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but the Spotify app on the iPhone is steaming garbage in that it only allows shuffle play (not sure if this also applies to paid members, but I have no interest in a paid subscription atm).

Is there perhaps a third party app that let's me browse my Spotify account like normal?

uhm, isn't that normal behaviour for non-premium spotify? that it's just shuffled playlist and not à la carte streaming?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
uhm, isn't that normal behaviour for non-premium spotify? that it's just shuffled playlist and not à la carte streaming?

I'm not sure. I know that you can select specific songs as a non-paid member using their site.

Unfortunately the iPhone won't let you use the actual site and it defaults to the shitty app instead.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I love how I can check the charge level of my Apple Watch from my iPhone when it's plugged in and charging.

But I hate that I can't check the same status of my AirPods when they're plugged in and charging. It's actually kind of annoying to check the charge status of my AirPods. I have to open the case and check on my phone. But last night I had a bug where opening the case made the Left bud connect to my phone and it didn't disconnect at all so all night it drained it to 9% and kept it connected. So when I checked the battery widget this morning I saw "Left AirPod: 9%" in the list. Like why? What? What a silly bug. So I hate just opening the case to check the charge. And I'm afraid to just plug it in every night because I don't want to ruin the batteries so fast. Especially such small batteries.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I love how I can check the charge level of my Apple Watch from my iPhone when it's plugged in and charging.

But I hate that I can't check the same status of my AirPods when they're plugged in and charging. It's actually kind of annoying to check the charge status of my AirPods. I have to open the case and check on my phone. But last night I had a bug where opening the case made the Left bud connect to my phone and it didn't disconnect at all so all night it drained it to 9% and kept it connected. So when I checked the battery widget this morning I saw "Left AirPod: 9%" in the list. Like why? What? What a silly bug. So I hate just opening the case to check the charge. And I'm afraid to just plug it in every night because I don't want to ruin the batteries so fast. Especially such small batteries.

The only battery you'd affect by plugging the AirPods in every night would be the battery in the AirPods case. If you're worried about a charge cycle affecting the AirPods themselves, the charge cycle starts when you put the AirPods into the case, not when you plug the case into a charger.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The only battery you'd affect by plugging the AirPods in every night would be the battery in the AirPods case. If you're worried about a charge cycle affecting the AirPods themselves, the charge cycle starts when you put the AirPods into the case, not when you plug the case into a charger.
Yeah I figure. Still, I don't get why my phone connected to one AirPod (That wasn't even removed from the case during the 2 seconds I had it open) and didn't disconnect at all until this morning when I noticed it and opened and shut the case again. Hopefully that was a fluke and I'll be more observant next time.

Also, I still wish I could check the charge status of my AirPods without having to open the case. At least when it's plugged in let it send out a signal to tell my phone. Or when I press that button on the back that should send out a signal too.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone, I just installed Microsoft Edge as my new browser. I'm really liking it so far. I'm hoping it won't be as much of a drain on my battery as Chrome, but I may not know what I'm talking about, LOL. The browser is available here for MacOS.

Is there a general consensus about Edge or should I stick with Chrome?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So, before I take my MacBook Pro to the store, maybe anyone in here experienced something like that before.

I use a MBP 15" from 2019. The last one before the 16". 8 core and 32GB Ram. Every now and then the MacBook refuses to turbo boost, more or less freezes while the CPU temperature sits at a comfy 70ºC. It becomes totally unresponive and unusable. I can either force it to shut down or wait until it magically works again.
I had this happening after a cold start, too. It was even worse then, the CPU maxed out at around 1.4Ghz or something. It disappeared 30min later.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
Face ID is already much better on the iPhone 11 Pro compared to the XS, I was positively surprised by it. It's nearly perfect now.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Face ID is already much better on the iPhone 11 Pro compared to the XS, I was positively surprised by it. It's nearly perfect now.
Yup agreed. I actually went from an XS back to an 8 because Face ID would fail so often or take so long for me. But it's almost perfect on my 11, i now see what the people who swear by it are saying

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I got an Apple Watch 5 for Christmas. I'm loving it, even more so having come from an Apple Watch 0, but I just noticed a deep nick on the face this morning. I knew scratches and nicks would be inevitable, but I expected it to happen at least more than a month of having it.

I got AppleCare+, so whenever the face becomes a monstrosity I'll get it replaced. The thought of putting a screen protector on the Apple Watch seems like an abomination to me.

However, what do the other Era Apple Watch users do to protect their watch face, if any?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
one of my airpod pros fell out as I was leaving the office, and bounced into the stairwell - fell 5 stories straight down into the basement. Seems fine. I guess being light has its advantages. They don't fall out often but I do need to adjus them fairly often just in case - and 'not often' is still a lot more often than my previous airpods.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I got an Apple Watch 5 for Christmas. I'm loving it, even more so having come from an Apple Watch 0, but I just noticed a deep nick on the face this morning. I knew scratches and nicks would be inevitable, but I expected it to happen at least more than a month of having it.

I got AppleCare+, so whenever the face becomes a monstrosity I'll get it replaced. The thought of putting a screen protector on the Apple Watch seems like an abomination to me.

However, what do the other Era Apple Watch users do to protect their watch face, if any?
Nothing really. I had a screen protector on my first watch and it was the biggest waste since lint gets caught there so easily and it looks abhorrent due to the screen shape. I haven't had any issues with screen scratches at all in the end, but then again I've had the sapphire screen model for the past years. So if you rock one of these, I wouldn't worry too much – I do manual work (wood and similar) outside regularly and it hasn't been a problem at all. Might be different if you work with harsher materials.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I think they added a feature in Apple Music that checks if a title youre about to add already exists in a playlist. Pretty sure that is recent.

E: sry for dp, got too excited about basic stuff
E2: introduced in iOS 13 apparently. I guess the duplicates i deleted the other day were added before

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
one of my airpod pros fell out as I was leaving the office, and bounced into the stairwell - fell 5 stories straight down into the basement. Seems fine. I guess being light has its advantages. They don't fall out often but I do need to adjus them fairly often just in case - and 'not often' is still a lot more often than my previous airpods.
With the amount of glue they use to keep that thing together, I'm not surprised.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Man the standard mail map in iOS 13 has been absolutely awful for me. Half the time it hangs and doesn't register my emails as having been read unless I physically go in to each email and back out.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
My iPad was bent when I fly to Texas a few months back ago in October. It's not even an option on setting up an appointment online in the apple store. What can I expect from them? Will it get replaced? I do have apple care.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Man the standard mail map in iOS 13 has been absolutely awful for me. Half the time it hangs and doesn't register my emails as having been read unless I physically go in to each email and back out.
I like the gmail app if your using gmail.
I'll try that one out, the Outlook app doesn't seem bad either.

Outlook is pretty good as is Gmail. Gmail lets you add non-Google accounts now too.

The mail app I've found myself most consistently happy with is Edison Mail. I feel like a lot of people haven't heard of it. Here's the App Sote link if you want to check it out:

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Outlook is pretty good as is Gmail. Gmail lets you add non-Google accounts now too.

The mail app I've found myself most consistently happy with is Edison Mail. I feel like a lot of people haven't heard of it. Here's the App Sote link if you want to check it out:

Interesting. Do you know how they monetize the app? I don't see any in app purchases or stuff like that.

edit: read their privacy statement. They handle and process my mails.It's not for me then.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
My iPad was bent when I fly to Texas a few months back ago in October. It's not even an option on setting up an appointment online in the apple store. What can I expect from them? Will it get replaced? I do have apple care.
My daughter managed to bend her 5s a few years back and they replaced it under AppleCare with a refurb.

EDIT: Also, has anyone used USB Overdrive on their Mac? I'd like to get push to talk working on Discord on the Mac but the keybindings in the app don't work and I was wondering if I might be able to use USB Overdrive to fudge something that might work.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
EDIT: Also, has anyone used USB Overdrive on their Mac? I'd like to get push to talk working on Discord on the Mac but the keybindings in the app don't work and I was wondering if I might be able to use USB Overdrive to fudge something that might work.
I've used ControllerMate years ago, and it's great. It's more powerful than USB Overdrive. Might be overkill for your needs, but it has a free trial so give it a go. You don't even need to buy it if you don't need a lot of functions, but if you play any games on your Mac you might find more uses for it. I used it to make "spam key when I hold it down" macros for WoW.

Sounds like Discord is the issue though. Might not be fixable.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Discord is the issue though. Might not be fixable.
Yeah I'm guessing it might not be something I can get around. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try a trial of both (if necessary) but as I prefer not installing stuff if I can avoid it I thought I'd see if anyone had actually managed to get something working.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My iPhone's 11 battery capacity is at 99% after 3 months of usage. Is that normal?
Yes, that's nothing to worry about. Also - battery capacity measurements aren't an exact science. So don't get all freaked out if it were 98 tomorrow because it might only drop to 97 half a year from now.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017

I've never done anything with regards to protecting the watch face. Got a Series 0 space grey sport back in May 2015 that I wore for 3 years -- was very careful with it and it never got a scratch on the face. Did get some dings on the case but nothing major.

Upgraded to a Series 4 when that came out and got the Space Black model. I've accidentally smashed the face on a variety of stuff and always freak out when it happens haha. It's a sapphire blend though, so, quite strong.

Scratches on your watch are part of the device being a watch. It adds character. But I totally get wanting to keep the device pristine. AC+ is probably the best way to do that.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of want to take off the Breathing notification. It's way too often and I think I breath enough?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I want to turn off the activity notification on Apple Watch. I have all notifications turned off. That is the only notification that doesn't turn off no matter what I do.

Is it impossible to turn off the activity goal completed notification on Apple Watch?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I want to turn off the activity notification on Apple Watch. I have all notifications turned off. That is the only notification that doesn't turn off no matter what I do.

Is it impossible to turn off the activity goal completed notification on Apple Watch?
No, it's quite easy in fact. Just go to the Apple Watch App, tap Notifications, Tap Activity.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's quite easy in fact. Just go to the Apple Watch App, tap Notifications, Tap Activity.

It still doesn't turn off on my watch if I am working out. I tried that. I tried turning it off and on. It keeps notifying me during my workouts about my activity goal completion and my move goal completion.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want to take off the Breathing notification. It's way too often and I think I breath enough?
Imho the most useless reminder.
It only happens for the ding when paying for something with Apple Pay for me though (Series 5)
Fwiw, my phone is on silent 100% of the time and the only noise I could even name is the buzz when leaving "waterproof" mode.
And I pay with ApplePay a lot.

so silent mode should suppress that sound

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Imho the most useless reminder.

Fwiw, my phone is on silent 100% of the time and the only noise I could even name is the buzz when leaving "waterproof" mode.
And I pay with ApplePay a lot.

so silent mode should suppress that sound

Just took it off actually in the Watch app. That was easy. Yeah, it's pretty useless for me.