• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Y'all are missing something here:

It's not the keyboard or the trackpad that justifies the price, it's the hinge that keeps the iPad afloat. We're talking about "$999 for a Metal stand with pivot, swivel, but no rotate"-Apple here 😓
Ah I see now.

T0i8yyL.jpg

ara

Oct 26, 2017
So fingers crossed they'll release a simpler, more smart keyboard folio esque version with a trackpad later on at a more tolerable price point?

The swivel thing is really cool tbh, but nowhere near "350 us dollars" cool.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Reading apples page, the trackpad support literally looks like they took the accessibility feature and just surfaced it as a separate thing. Cursor is still a circle, can still only left click I think . Still a good move - the kinda of apps I use would benefit from a mouse
I mean, this is perfect to me. Because it takes mouse support out of obscurity (and probably gets rid of the disc pointer only. I've been using my Pro + Brydge and a mouse as a laptop exclusive ever since iOS 13 Beta, so almost a year now. It's absolutely bliss. Yeah, it takes some getting used too at first, but due to customisable buttons I can pop up anything from the Dock to the control center, go home or to Expose, all next to instantaneously. It's all muscle memory now.

Not having a right mouse menu doesn't really impact that much, I've found.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As the owner of a mid 2018 MBP 13 (butterfly kb with membrane) as well as the MBP 16 (magic kb), I gotta admit I like typing on the butterfly keyboard more :/
I will never understand the love for the butterfly keyboards. :) It's probably the worst keyboard I ever had to use. I don't get used to it, no matter how long I use it. It's terrible.
Too bad for you though, of course. That keyboard design will never come back I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the love for the butterfly keyboards. :) It's probably the worst keyboard I ever had to use. I don't get used to it, no matter how long I use it. It's terrible.
Too bad for you though, of course. That keyboard design will never come back I guess.
It took a little while to get used to, but the way my fingers can fly across the keys is nice. The more deliberate effort required to press the Magic Keyboard keys isn't bad, but a little jarring. Its all about what you're used to I guess.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Will there be a version of the keyboard for the 2018 iPad Pro? Tho I guess I'm not sure how they achieved the trackpad without sacrificing typing comfort …

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I am glad to see that they upped the base storage to 128GB for the 12.9" iPad Pro, and knocked the price down by $50.

Edit: I read it wrong. It's still $999. But the storage increase is welcome. 64GB was just stupid; "Pro".

Still doesn't make up for a $350 keyboard.

it would literally be cheaper to have an entire normal ipad under your ipad pro just to use as a keyboard

lmao

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Are the designs of the Pros different, or do the last models cases still work?
New cases should be backwards compatible, but the new model has a square camera bump like the iPhone 11 Pro, so your older cases won't work on it.

Is that confirmed or are you judging by the looks? Wouldn't put it past them to move the smart connector just that tiny little bit.
On the store page for the new keyboard, it says it is compatible with 3rd and 4th gen IPP

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Is that confirmed or are you judging by the looks? Wouldn't put it past them to move the smart connector just that tiny little bit.
www.apple.com

Select iPad Keyboards

Shop Keyboards for iPad. Enjoy a great typing experience on a full-size physical keyboard—with a durable cover. Buy now and get fast, free shipping.

Compatible with
  • iPad Pro 12.9‑inch
    (3rd and 4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 11‑inch
    (1st and 2nd generation)

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New cases should be backwards compatible, but the new model has a square camera bump like the iPhone 11 Pro, so your older cases won't work on it.

On the store page for the new keyboard, it says it is compatible with 3rd and 4th gen IPP
Oh I thought first gen 11 inch pro had a square camera too. Looks like it wasn't. Thanks!

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Considering today's upgrade, is now a good time to get an iPad Pro? I would rather have one sooner than later, but if there really is a model with a better screen incoming, I could wait.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Considering today's upgrade, is now a good time to get an iPad Pro? I would rather have one sooner than later, but if there really is a model with a better screen incoming, I could wait.
There's always a better one around the corner. And with how things Are going, I'd just buy one now. You can always sell it and upgrade. Apple products have great resell value.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

personally I'd wait on reviews on speed and other improvements, and then potentially get a refurb/discontinued clearance 3rd gen.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
There's always a better one around the corner. And with how things Are going, I'd just buy one now. You can always sell it and upgrade. Apple products have great resell value.

That's true, of course, but if there was any indication that the next upgrade will be "bigger", I wouldn't mind waiting a few months.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I'm only noticing this now as I've had iPhones since the 3GS... but is it possible to turn down the notification sounds? At the moment the volume is at around 20% but my notifications are insanely loud (this includes my morning alarm) and I can't seem to find a way to turn them down.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading apples page, the trackpad support literally looks like they took the accessibility feature and just surfaced it as a separate thing. Cursor is still a circle, can still only left click I think . Still a good move - the kinda of apps I use would benefit from a mouse

Also supports two finger scrolling, and gestures for expose, multitasking, etc. None of those were possible with the accessibility feature (the scrolling in particular was very annoying).

Combined with the focus UI, far more capable than the current system. Severe overhaul

I don't know why I'm only noticing this now as I've had iPhones since the 3GS... but is it possible to turn down the notification sounds? At the moment the volume is at around 20% but my notifications are insanely loud (this includes my morning alarm) and I can't seem to find a way to turn them down.

It's the volume in Settings->Sounds & Haptics that controls alarm and alert volumes, separate from media volume

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
the Apple one has a hinge that floats the iPad and an extra USBC port that can change the iPad.

So you can charge and plug in something else hopefully.

It looks very not-lap-friendly, but will be curious to try it. More likely will get a cheap bluetooth keyboard with trackpad built in and use that occasionally.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
It looks very not-lap-friendly, but will be curious to try it. More likely will get a cheap bluetooth keyboard with trackpad built in and use that occasionally.

is any keyboard case for an iPad "very lap friendly"?

also no non-Apple keyboard case is going to support this stuff: "two finger scrolling, and gestures for expose, multitasking, etc. None of those were possible with the accessibility feature (the scrolling in particular was very annoying)."

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So why didn't Apple put the A13 chip in the new iPads Pro? Why did they stick with an A12Z?

Granted the Z means it's different...

Apple also skipped the A11 on iPads and went right from the A10X to the A12X. They only do odd generation chips for tablets?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
is any keyboard case for an iPad "very lap friendly"?

also no non-Apple keyboard case is going to support this stuff: "two finger scrolling, and gestures for expose, multitasking, etc. None of those were possible with the accessibility feature (the scrolling in particular was very annoying)."
Yes, the Brydge keyboard is lap friendly.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
personally I'd wait on reviews on speed and other improvements, and then potentially get a refurb/discontinued clearance 3rd gen.

Yeah, I'll wait for reviews, but I think I'll get one anyways. I really miss having an iPad (mine died), and thanks to Corona I'm probably gonna spend a lot of time at home in the coming months, so it would be nice to have one for passing the time.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About two weeks ago, my iphone x battery went to shit. I've done all the usual stuff, checked for apps draining, hard reboots etc etc, and so on, but nothing helps. Any ideas? Was lasting all day, no problem, now three, four hours with or without heavy use before hitting low power warning.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just installed iOS 13.4 RC. Best part of the update is remapping the useless ass globe key on my Smart Keyboard into an escape key.

As I feared, using a mouse on iPad OS is still a terrible experience. I can deal with the weird, floaty tracking but any traditional scroll wheel is basically useless unless you love the screen moving 2 pixels for each scroll wheel click. Also can't customize any of the buttons without turning on assistivetouch. Seems like you should just give in and get a trackpad case.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much heavier that new iPad Pro keyboard is going to be compared to the existing one.

Seems like they'd need to add weight to the keyboard part of it to so that it doesn't tip backwards unless you have it tilted in just the right way (which would seem to defeat the purpose of having a floating case, IMO).
My regular iPad Pro keyboard case already is pretty top heavy when I use the more vertical angle slot.

It does look pretty cool, and a trackpad would be nice, but at that price I'd much rather save $100 and go with that Brydge keyboard previously posted about. But I'm fine without a touchpad to be honest, so i think I'll still with the current keyboard cover (which was included for free with my Pro).

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
About two weeks ago, my iphone x battery went to shit. I've done all the usual stuff, checked for apps draining, hard reboots etc etc, and so on, but nothing helps. Any ideas? Was lasting all day, no problem, now three, four hours with or without heavy use before hitting low power warning.
Did you try to calibrate it? I have no idea if this is still a thing though. Charge it, use it until it shuts down, then wait some hours and charge it up again. Don't pull the cord the moment it reaches 100%. Let it charge after that for a while.

Anyway: it can of course just be bad? What does the battery settings say about it's health? Maybe you have to get it replaced 🤷🏼

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you try to calibrate it? I have no idea if this is still a thing though. Charge it, use it until it shuts down, then wait some hours and charge it up again. Don't pull the cord the moment it reaches 100%. Let it charge after that for a while.

Anyway: it can of course just be bad? What does the battery settings say about it's health? Maybe you have to get it replaced 🤷🏼
Still says it's in good condition- 85% - safari is the biggest culprit but nothing out of the ordinary.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much heavier that new iPad Pro keyboard is going to be compared to the existing one.

Seems like they'd need to add weight to the keyboard part of it to so that it doesn't tip backwards unless you have it tilted in just the right way (which would seem to defeat the purpose of having a floating case, IMO).
My regular iPad Pro keyboard case already is pretty top heavy when I use the more vertical angle slot.

It does look pretty cool, and a trackpad would be nice, but at that price I'd much rather save $100 and go with that Brydge keyboard previously posted about. But I'm fine without a touchpad to be honest, so i think I'll still with the current keyboard cover (which was included for free with my Pro).

I don't think it needs to be heavy at all. The weight of the bottom of the iPad Pro can help to balance the whole thing, and the hinge may not allow extreme angles that would cause it to tip over.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are everyone's must have MacOS apps?

To add to what everyone already posted

Unsplash has an amazing MacOS app that serves real life super high res wallpaper.

does everyone here pay for icloud storage

why is everything about icloud so confusing

I do. I got the $3 200 gig family plan for my crew. I'll upgrade to the next tier when we need it. My hope is as storage grows the entry level tier might bump up by time we hit the cap. It's mainly just for photos and stuff.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend me a good USB-C monitor for my MBP? Since im working from home, my work laptop also has a USB-C port so I figured I could use it for both.

I was looking at the LG 4k UltraFine, but the 27" is way out of budget, so I was looking at the 24". Would prefer 27 though.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Ram lovers rejoice:

"With the release of iOS 13.4 GMfor developers, we were able to confirm that all models of the new iPad Pro have 6GB RAM, among other things.

Based on code from the latest iOS 13.4 build, we can say that all fourth generation iPad Pro models are equipped with 6GB of RAM. Previously, with the third-generation iPad Pro, only models with 1TB of internal storage had 6GB of RAM, and all other versions had only 4GB of RAM."

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I just installed the GM on my iPad Air 2 and ran to my old Magic Trackpad to test it and... ugh, why is iPad OS 13.4 treating me like a second-class citizen? No multi-touch support for my... multi-touch trackpad from Apple? I can't fathom a possible explanation, except they wanting me to cave in for a second-gen one. I actually love the implementation, but without scrolling, home gesture and multitasking gestures, it's worthless. Fuck off, Apple.