• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Random_Guy

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone here with the 2018 iPad Pro planning on upgrading to the 2020 model? I was about to make the jump from my 2017 10.5 in, but my friend is offering me a good price on his 2018 iPad Pro that he doesn't use much. It doesn't seem like there's much of a difference between the 2018 and 2020 model other than the camera additions. Processor seems to be a modest upgrade.

Thoughts?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here with the 2018 iPad Pro planning on upgrading to the 2020 model? I was about to make the jump from my 2017 10.5 in, but my friend is offering me a good price on his 2018 iPad Pro that he doesn't use much. It doesn't seem like there's much of a difference between the 2018 and 2020 model other than the camera additions. Processor seems to be a modest upgrade.

Thoughts?

we won't really know until people have them in their hands and test the processor specs. I am guessing it's a A12X chip with the eighth core unlocked.

If you care about AR the 2020 may be a big upgrade.

also for me I would want to know about the battery life of your friends 2018. I would want to plug it into my computer and use coconut battery to see how much of its battery capacity is remaining.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Has anyone received the 2020 MBA yet and have any impressions? Everyone seems to be pretty positive overall but have some concerns about performance with the CPU. I have a 2013 MBA that I was hoping to replace with the 14" MBP but not sure if supply chain issues are gonna prevent that from coming out soon. I'll be starting a new job next month and working from home so I need to get something as I'm not sure how productive my aging MBA will be, but I also don't wanna get myself something that's gonna be underpowered in a year or two.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A quad core should be a nice upgrade, I wouldn't expect too much from the other CPUs though. A MacBook Pro should be faster and they come with the better screens. Get the 13" only if you like the butterfly keyboard, wait for the 13"/14" update otherwise.

In the end it depends on the things you do with it. My sister is a teacher and absolutely loves her Air from last year. It's fast enough for all the office stuff she uses it for, it's light and has great battery life. She has 16GB of RAM though.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Has anyone received the 2020 MBA yet and have any impressions? Everyone seems to be pretty positive overall but have some concerns about performance with the CPU. I have a 2013 MBA that I was hoping to replace with the 14" MBP but not sure if supply chain issues are gonna prevent that from coming out soon. I'll be starting a new job next month and working from home so I need to get something as I'm not sure how productive my aging MBA will be, but I also don't wanna get myself something that's gonna be underpowered in a year or two.
What will you be doing with it? For sustained loads it'll only be able to go so fast (like the i5 holds at about 1.4ghz turbo w/all cores loaded according to one test I saw), but for lighter loads where it can turbo up higher for shorter periods it should be decently quick. Like the single core Geekbench scores that have been reported are about as fast as anything else out now.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Photos for MacOS has this quick filter dropdown which you can use to browse only pictures/videos/favorites of the currently selected album. I wish this was a thing on iOS. Sometimes, I'd like to show someone a favorite video of mine, but then I either have to use the Favorites album and sift through hundreds of pictures, or use the Videos album and sift through hundreds of non-favorite videos.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

I was expecting an A12X with the eighth core unlocked, but

"There could also be optimization issues for Geekbench on the new iPad Pro and iPadOS 13.4. We'll have to reserve full judgement until full reviews are available."

anyway my 2017 A10X 10.5 iPad Pro is still as fast as I need for what I do, so I don't expect to feel any performance issues with the A12Z.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I was expecting an A12X with the eighth core unlocked, but

"There could also be optimization issues for Geekbench on the new iPad Pro and iPadOS 13.4. We'll have to reserve full judgement until full reviews are available."

anyway my 2017 A10X 10.5 iPad Pro is still as fast as I need for what I do, so I don't expect to feel any performance issues with the A12Z.
CPU was never an issue.

The 2GB RAM bump is the big news here.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
The 2018 iPad Pro was overkill in a lot of ways. That thing will still be great in a couple of years. So it doesn't shock me that the new one isn't that faster. But I'll grab it for the better cameras and RAM. Still, they could've put a souped up A13 in it.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This'll be the first time since the original iPad Pro that I don't upgrade, but that Magic Keyboard is gonna make my 2018 model feel brand new anyway

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
In other circumstances I would have waited for the next big upgrade with the rumored better screen, but considering how much time I will spend at home in the coming months thanks to COVID, I don't regret my purchase at all. I'm just gonna sell it when the new models comes out.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
man mouse support is so great. Scroll speed is slow though with my Logitech mouse and I wish if you clicked the scroll wheel it could pop up all my available apps (like swiping up does). Good start though and hopefully Apple keeps adding features/options for mouse support.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
man mouse support is so great. Scroll speed is slow though with my Logitech mouse and I wish if you clicked the scroll wheel it could pop up all my available apps (like swiping up does). Good start though and hopefully Apple keeps adding features/options for mouse support.
You can adjust the scroll speed in accessibility. don't know why they don't just keep all of the settings under one roof, I immediately turned off pointer animations too. real mouse support is gonna be a game changer, loving it so far. Wish I had a keyboard case rn lol.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Been using a Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard with my iPad all day, the new update is fantastic.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm reading that 6 GB RAM across all models has not been confirmed. Have you seen it confirmed?

I saw MKBHD reached out to Apple and they wouldn't say yes or no.

Only confirmation I'm seeing is people saw in iPadOS prelease code a reference to 6 GB RAM.

anyone see confirmation (people seem to be receiving them yesterday/today) if every iPad Pro has 6 GB RAM now?

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
What will you be doing with it? For sustained loads it'll only be able to go so fast (like the i5 holds at about 1.4ghz turbo w/all cores loaded according to one test I saw), but for lighter loads where it can turbo up higher for shorter periods it should be decently quick. Like the single core Geekbench scores that have been reported are about as fast as anything else out now.
Test of the new MBA against the lower end MBP:

Basically as suspected, faster single core and graphics, slower multi, but all gets way slower under sustained load.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked, but will iPad have general bluetooth mouse support as well? Or just trackpad?

I have a generic cheap bluetooth mouse I'd love to mess around with

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked, but will iPad have general bluetooth mouse support as well? Or just trackpad?

I have a generic cheap bluetooth mouse I'd love to mess around with

I believe all iPads which support iPadOS can get the latest update, and use any Bluetooth mouse for support.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah any BT mouse, but by default there's just left and right click and scroll. If you have more buttons you need to turn on accessibility to map those to more functions (like show dock, app switcher, etc) which makes it much more usable.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah any BT mouse, but by default there's just left and right click and scroll. If you have more buttons you need to turn on accessibility to map those to more functions (like show dock, app switcher, etc) which makes it much more usable.

Can you do mouse wheel click for app switcher? Couldn't figure out how earlier.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Can you do mouse wheel click for app switcher? Couldn't figure out how earlier.
Yeah works here, it's button 3 on mine (Logitech MX720). Gotta enable assistive touch, which enables the button mapping.

Course if you disconnect your mouse, assistive touch leaves an on screen menu button which is kind of annoying. I kinda got around it by setting triple click home to turn assistive stuff on/off. I guess setting it to 15% opacity is ok, but could still hit it on accident.

Edit: one other little bit of jankiness, it feels a bit off. Wasn't sure until now but I think it's slightly laggy for my setup at least.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Just played around with mouse support on iPadOS and it's a gamechanger. I have a 2018 11" Pro and I can't wait for the magic keyboard case. I'd suggest getting a refurbished Pro instead of the new one. Apparently there isn't much difference except for the camera and RAM. I think Apple is going to release a 12.9" mini LED with the 14X later this year.

Honestly, I'm just so excited about this mouse support. It breathes new life into my iPad.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Man I went down a RABBIT HOLE with my Apple TV 4K tonight. Basically, I cut the cord this week and switched over to YouTube tv. Was watching better call Saul and noticed my tv was saying it was HDR. Obviously not true for tv stations.

So after spending WAY to long in the Apple TV settings and my tv settings, this is what I came down to. For reference I have a samsung KS8000 that I configured via rtings.

Basically I changed my Apple tv from 4k HDR 60 to default to 4k SDR 60. HDMI output is the ycb string (not RGB high or low) and I have match range and frame rate to on. From what I've read online this is the preferred setup so you are not applying fake HDR? I also realize that this only seems to be a problem with you tube tv, as with Hulu or Netflix it would properly kick things back to an HDR signal.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Man I went down a RABBIT HOLE with my Apple TV 4K tonight. Basically, I cut the cord this week and switched over to YouTube tv. Was watching better call Saul and noticed my tv was saying it was HDR. Obviously not true for tv stations.

So after spending WAY to long in the Apple TV settings and my tv settings, this is what I came down to. For reference I have a samsung KS8000 that I configured via rtings.

Basically I changed my Apple tv from 4k HDR 60 to default to 4k SDR 60. HDMI output is the ycb string (not RGB high or low) and I have match range and frame rate to on. From what I've read online this is the preferred setup so you are not applying fake HDR? I also realize that this only seems to be a problem with you tube tv, as with Hulu or Netflix it would properly kick things back to an HDR signal.
Those are the right settings and YouTube on Apple TV doesn't support HDR. (Or 4K).

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
And just like every single iOS 13 update before that, iOS 13.4 caused a "SIM Failure". Had to restart my phone, as usual.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I can finally share iCloud folders, again. Thats great!
Also like the CarPlay improvements! Will test mouse support in my 9,7" Pro later.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
Guys, a question about updating to the latest version of Mac OS Catalina: I'm not on wi-fi, i can only use my phone as a hotspot, i have unlimited data but my connection tends to die every two or three hours or so... still, that's my only way to download the update.

After leaving it downloading twice, i noticed that if my connection dies, the updater just has to restart the download again from zero. Is that normal? Does the update really lacks an integrated download manager of some sort?

Random_Guy

Nov 1, 2017
we won't really know until people have them in their hands and test the processor specs. I am guessing it's a A12X chip with the eighth core unlocked.

If you care about AR the 2020 may be a big upgrade.

also for me I would want to know about the battery life of your friends 2018. I would want to plug it into my computer and use coconut battery to see how much of its battery capacity is remaining.

Followed your advice and checked friends iPad using coconut battery. It's at 93.6 capacity, which seems decent.

From the reviews so far, there doesn't seem to be much performance gains with the extra core or 2gb of RAM. My main use case is note taking and photo editing, which should be fine on the 2018 model.

My friend said i could try this out for a week and decide if I want to keep it. Coming from the 10.5 pro, this is a big upgrade. For CAD 1100, im getting a 12.9 iPad pro + pencil + apple's keyboard case. I'm thinking that's too good of a deal to pass on.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Followed your advice and checked friends iPad using coconut battery. It's at 93.6 capacity, which seems decent.

From the reviews so far, there doesn't seem to be much performance gains with the extra core or 2gb of RAM. My main use case is note taking and photo editing, which should be fine on the 2018 model.

My friend said i could try this out for a week and decide if I want to keep it. Coming from the 10.5 pro, this is a big upgrade. For CAD 1100, im getting a 12.9 iPad pro + pencil + apple's keyboard case. I'm thinking that's too good of a deal to pass on.

Sounds like a good deal

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Not available in the UK.
It's probably US only given that it provides medical advice and was apparently developed in cooperation with CDC.
———
I just paired my MX Master 3 to the iPad for the first time and mouse support feels great! Very positively surprised (now if only keyboard control would work better, but I guess custom UI is the culprit for it breaking in various apps on my end). Dislike the hefty price of the new Smart Keyboard with trackpad but I'm really looking forward to it now.

E: How is Apple Music still so insanely bad about new releases? Let's forget the lack of notifications – I totally would've missed Dua Lipas new album releasing today if it wasnt for the era thread, despite having added it to my library weeks ago – for a second. Then I tap on the album in my library and instead of showing me all songs unlocked, it displays the locked album with a link to the full album which I then have again to add to my library, but it's still not the full album which is only accessible artist page etc?!? seriously what the hell

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Youtube themselves are turning down the resolution due to higher usage of their services because of COVID-19. They don't want their datacenters crashing....

https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/youtube-480p-resolution-default-streaming-globally-for-a-month/
Why are my YouTube videos capped at 1080p in the year 2020? Am I doing something wrong? I have a xR on iOS 13.3.1.

Well that and YouTube doesn't support resolutions higher than 1080p on iOS anyway.