• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a refurb MBP on May 2012 and it's still going strong. If you buy refurb directly from Apple, you get the full warranty and they look basically like new. I had no problems with it.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
SOme years ago a friend bought a refurbished Macbook direct from Apple and recommended it. I bought an original iPad refurbished a year after release without issue.

I always check the refurbished section of the Apple shop if there's something I need.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
If you're buying directly from Apple it's worth it. You can even buy Applecare to extend your warranty to 3 years.
I bought a 2011 17 inch and it had the infamous GPU failure problem, which became a widely known problem and Apple made a repair program lasting one year.
My laptop got repaired 1,5 years ago and it's still working. My experience is that they've been reliable work machines until now.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've only ever bought Mac refurbs: my current MBA refurb is nearly 5 years old and still going strong. lol.

But buy direct from the Apple refurb store and not anywhere else.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. You're at the whims of available stock, but you're basically getting a new machine for cheaper, and can add AppleCare if you're really concerned about it.

Oct 27, 2017
What is the cost difference and what is the newest one you can get? They're refurbished program is fantastic, and refurbished items in general are undamaged returns. I don't think you'll experience any displeasure going the refurb route

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
If you buy a refurb, do it straight from Apple. It's basically buying a new product at a lower price. Recommended