• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
1py8y178x_6Fb0HQZ04enTg.gif

Pretty cool idea. But if the camera is always on checking for "input", I wonder if it would crush the batterylife.

Macrumours:
Astro HQ, the makers of popular iPad drawing app AstroPad Studio, yesterday announced that their plans for a "Camera Button" feature for the app have been scuppered by Apple.

The developers' clever hack that turns an iPad's front-facing camera into a functional software buttonwas supposed to be coming in the next AstroPad Studio update, but Apple has rejected it on the grounds that the idea flouts App Store review guidelines.

The announcement came in a Medium.com post by Astro HQ titled "RIP Camera Button", which revealed that Apple had turned down the innovative iPad interaction because it broke the company's rules for iOS software.
We planned to introduce the Camera Button in an update to Astropad Studio going out today. However, we are disappointed to report that the Camera Button was rejected by Apple's App Store review under Section 2.5.9:

Apps that alter or disable the functions of standard switches, such as the Volume Up/Down and Ring/Silent switches, or other native user interface elements or behaviors will be rejected.

Apple is known for its strict adherence to App Store rules, so the rejection shouldn't really come as much of a surprise. But the news will also likely disappoint backers of AstroPad's forthcoming Luna display adapter, which turns an iPad into a wireless extended Mac desktop. The developers had hoped to include the Camera Button feature in the Luna software, but they've been forced to drop it from that, too.

Despite the setback, Astro HQ said their "urge to innovate" lives on, and that they remained "committed to pushing the boundaries of software and hardware engineering so that we can create the best productivity tools possible".

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's a neat idea, but it's not one that is really needed when we can just swipe a screen instead.

Computer

Oct 31, 2017
Scotland
Wonder if there was also a security risk with the camera being "always-on".

Not that large corporations have ever shown much support in the name of privacy but you get what I mean.

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if there was also a security risk with the camera being "always-on".

Not that large corporations have ever shown much support in the name of privacy but you get what I mean.

That was my takeaway from this. If the camera is detecting change, it's 'on'. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that. Apple has a reasonable record so far of respecting peoples privacy and the API restrictions / guidelines are there to protect the platform. It's a funky idea, but I think they made the right call.

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you have to touch it? Couldn't it be based on swiping past it or something to that effect?

Cool idea.