• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

"We're making the most affordable iOS device even better with performance that is twice as fast as before, Group FaceTime and augmented reality starting at just $199," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Product Marketing. "The ultra-thin and lightweight design of iPod touch has always made it ideal for enjoying games, music and so much more wherever you go."

Wow, so the iPod lives on! Looks like it will support group FaceTime calls and some AR stuff, and have the A10 Fusion chip inside. Otherwise the hardware is essentially unchanged. 40 hours of audio playback

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I genuinely didn't know they still made iPods.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I'd definitely consider this for a media consumption device when my kids are a little older as long as the parental controls are strong. I'd be more comfortable with this as a bridge device than a straight up cell phone.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, iPod Touch still lives. I might get this just for my music.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised they bothered. Guess they're still a good enough first smart device for people.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
not bad at all. their ipod touch's have always been pretty great devices and definitely more affordable than their iphone cousins

OP
OP
Ambient80

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised they bothered. Guess they're still a good enough first smart device for people.
Businesses love them, too, for taking payments and such. I think every person I've hired to come help with something for my house has had me pay using a credit card swiper on an iPod Touch.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I've actually been thinking of getting an ipod since I dont want to switch to iPhone but would like access to exclusive apps or shit like game of thrones enhanced editions.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Businesses love them, too, for taking payments and such. I think every person I've hired to come help with something for my house has had me pay using a credit card swiper on an iPod Touch.
You sure those weren't just older iPhones? How a device with no cellular connection can accept payment has me wondering...

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Headphone jack confirmed!

Scroll down to "External buttons and connectors
It's crazy how Apple has to do so little to please me, and yet it screwed up so much when it comes to phones that I gave up on iPhones earlier this year, in my opinion of course. Here I am, typing on my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", while my S9+ rings, and I'm seriously considering an iPod. I know that a lot of people still love their iPhones, and I do wish I could go back, but it's just not for me right now.

OP
OP
Ambient80

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You sure those weren't just older iPhones? How a device with no cellular connection can accept payment has me wondering...
I think they had them tethered to their own phone (which seemed silly to me, why not just use their own phone? maybe just security I dunno). But, they were definitely iPod Touches cause most of them didn't even have a case and you could see "iPod" on the back. Plus a lot of stores use them, too, and just connect to the store Wifi.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I still have my 128GB iPod Touch from a few years ago, so this is tempting. Although lately I've been listening to a lot of Apple Music.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Blast from the past. SO they don'have cellular, GPS but everything else really?

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
If it has headphone jacks they might have a sale from me.

Headphone jack confirmed!

Scroll down to "External buttons and connectors

Yep, it has a headphone jack.

It's interesting that in addition to the tech specs page listing the 3.5mm jack, they shot a promo picture with wired headphones plugged into it.

FwcWTDGl.jpg

hOY7PZ7l.png

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Unfortunately 6 months too late for my use case. Good to see happen though, it's a great cost effective device for specific situations. Wish they could cram an A11 in there instead of an A10 but it's still a big improvement over the A8.

Hopefully they ironed out all the battery issues that plagued the 6th gen device

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Worst part of these are the screen size and resolution. Games just don't look very good on the tiny screen. I actually still use my lastgen ipod touch for music.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I bought one for my son 18 months ago and the battery life is beyond appalling, have they fixed that?

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome! Essentially a $200 handheld console and music player. Finally I won't have to think about buying an iPhone.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Pity it doesn't have Touch ID. I sold mine because inputting a code to unlock is just barbaric nowadays.

Jasconius

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Wow, we just bought one of the old ones a couple of months ago to replace a dying nano. I honestly thought it was more likely that they would just discontinue the whole thing than release a new model....

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That price point for the higher storage is absurd. I'd consider a separate media device, but that's ridiculous.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I used to really like my old iPod Touches, but I had two that broke in the exact same way (home button) and after the second one broke I swore off Apple devices.

I got a Moto E for $40 a bunch of years ago and put a micro SD in there, and it's been completely perfect for my workout/jogging media device. Never again.

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Honestly, this makes an iPhone SE 2 a bit more likely. They are going to have to support this smaller screen size in future versions of iOS.

Edit: Typical Apple, those storage prices are ridiculous.