• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
I mean, welcome to capitalism where it's money first; don't know if I can even blame them. (not that I'm defending apple, fuck them)

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
People in this forum to start boycotting Apple...

...Any minute now...

...Just you wait...

Fuck china! they are scum and if you support them you are also scum!

*posted from my brand new iphone while listening to music on my brand new airpods

bu-bu-bu what can i do everyone supports our winnie the pooh led overlords! at least apple has nicer designs!

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
As an Apple fan, I am highly disappointed. I wonder how Jobs would have reacted? Probably the same way, but I'd think his hippy nature would have swayed him to do the right thing.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
This is disturbing really. I guess this is payback for the sanctions on who was that chinese phone company? Huawei?

"They can wave their dick around. So can we on this front"

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet people will be more than glad to buy their next overpriced cash grab.

I hope they get as much shit as Acti-Blizzard for their deeds but I don't see it happening sadly.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Corporations oblige authoritarianism

Corporations own the media and major means of communication

Yeah, it's almost as it they're actually a major market pool that participates in capitalist accumulation. 🤔

i dunno, argument would be that the huge market in China isn't worth the ire of the US gov. Its a fucking shitshow now because of the president, but once shit settles down either way they've got no friends there and its just going to be used as fodder to break em up

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
inconvenient truth time: For all the people (rightfully, because them selling out is disgusting especially when they brag so much about how woke they are about human rights and the environment) bashing apple for this, just know that your android devices are:
a) most likely made in china
b) the OS is made by a company who's also making a censored internet for China (project dragonfly)

There's really no "better" alternative, the world's tech products are closely intertwined with China one way or another.

No ethical consumption and such

And why isnt Disney/Marvel getting enough heat? They literally edit their films for Chinese audiences.

At least ESPN is getting blasted

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.

Some people are way too eager to shit on Apple but do so from their Google phones, while consuming mass media from giants like Disney who don't have a very good track record either. It's all fucked. But the holier than thou attitude in here is gross.

It was the same during the Foxconn conditions scandal. Ripping on Apple for poor treatment of workers whilst their non-Apple devices are made in the same factories.

No corporation is your friend. No corporation does anything for the good of society. No corporation is clean.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

Some people are way too eager to shit on Apple but do so from their Google phones, while consuming mass media from giants like Disney who don't have a very good track record either. It's all fucked. But the holier than thou attitude in here is gross.

is it time to post that comic again lol
lzAQU91.jpg

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you guys gonna start throwing your iphones in the trash?

this wont stop, sooner or later Sony and MS will get somehow involved with this shit.

People underestimate how much pull China has over the world.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

this wont stop, sooner or later Sony and MS will get somehow involved with this shit.

Why is the onus on corporations to protect Democracy when first world governments aren't willing to do it? The US and EU could place trade sanctions or an embargo on the selling and manufacturing of goods in China but they won't for basically the same reason as these corporations.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017

They already are. All consoles get manufactured in China. It's completely impossible to disengage from China. No ethical consumption yadda yadda.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just Apple or Google, Disney and Blizzard. The West would collapse if it suddenly had to stop being reliant on China. This is decades and decades of companies wanting things mass produced by an army of cheap workers so that profits don't stop rolling in. This is government stepping back and letting the free market run riot whatever the cost, and it will never be undone.

I think if you are engaged with China in as big a way as these companies are, you follow China's rules in its territory. I don't really see a way around it. Unless Westerners are willing to accept wages and conditions broadly equivalent to those in China - and believe me, there are a lot of right-wingers who would love our workforce(s) to end up like that, so it might gradually end up foisted upon us - there's not going to be any way of escaping the reality that huge swathes of the things we buy have been touched by China.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Okay sooo Apple is completely capable of moving its business to thailand or malaysia or indonesia. So what gives??

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
If there was one company to stand by this, with their current power at least, it would've been Apple. I'm very disappointed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
How nice of Apple to keep people safe in HK by removing this app. I guess for next year's feel good video segment (a la this year's Apple Watch saving lives ad) they can throw in some HK police brutality footage
I remember all the shit I got from Apple fanboys when I said that that add was corportate bullshit.
"It save lives! You bla bla bla"

Fuck Google, Fuck Apple, fuck Actiblizzard... But, fuck China most of all. Digusting authoritarian country.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

inconvenient truth time: For all the people (rightfully, because them selling out is disgusting especially when they brag so much about how woke they are about human rights and the environment) bashing apple for this, just know that your android devices are:
a) most likely made in china
b) the OS is made by a company who's also making a censored internet for China (project dragonfly)

There's really no "better" alternative, the world's tech products are closely intertwined with China one way or another.

No ethical consumption and such

And why isnt Disney/Marvel getting enough heat? They literally edit their films for Chinese audiences.

At least ESPN is getting blasted
Like clockwork

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
How so? It's not like there's many Android phones that are not manufactured in China and Google is actively working on creating a version of Google that adheres to China's censorship.

This isn't "whataboutism" but a serious question of - what's the alternative?

Every larger corporation is so dependent on China, either as a growth market or as a core location in its supply chain - and that dependency is coming back to haunt them really bad right now.

Exactly. Literally most components for tech in general have some part in China.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phone companies are over a barrel more than most, because of the rare earths required to make them. Those are dominated by china, and it would take years to ramp up non-Chinese production.

I'm a little more forgiving of the phone companies than I am Blizzard, given the circumstances. Also, I suspect another app will pop up really quickly.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out. I don't suspect people will stop buying apple products but I really wonder if Apple are realizing their over dependence on China and Chinese manufacturing needs to change. Right now China literally has them against a wall. I can't imagine what would happen if China barred Apple from manufacturing in China.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Remember this when any corporation tries to pretend it cares about racial justice, LGBTQ rights, gender equality, etc. We are watching an organ-harvesting dystopian nightmare consume the region's last shred of democracy and these companies are falling all over themselves to help.

They will literally throw you to the wolves if it'll grow their revenue half a percent.

Capitalism is a disease.

Yup, they saw what was fashionable to support to get people going "oh they care". It's a fucking company, it only does things to maximize profits. If they made more money from denying rights to the lgbt community, they'd happily throw them under the bus.

This whole thing proves it to anyone who thinks otherwise. How easily it is for a company to back a disgusting regime and basically be its bitch for the all mighty yuan should be clear as day