• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This is unacceptable. Thankfully Google offers a great alternative to Apple products.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
You can see that in the congressional hearings where Google, Facebook, and Apple's executives where they basically got off scott free.

The point wasn't direct punishment, it was making them uncomfortable. You can tell there were changes just based on the marketing. Facebook pulled API access to tons of apps and now says the future is privacy. I wonder why? Apple and Google now have official screen time apps. I wonder why? You would suggest they just came to that organically?

But that's just the more benign case, look at White House officials or Hollywood execs people never would have known the name of suddenly having people pry into all the shitty little things they've done and then getting taken to task. If you're willing to push into China knowing what the human cost is, chances are there are other lapses of morality.

Nihilism isn't really a realistic look at the world, it's just a coping tool to justify how powerless you feel.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The point wasn't direct punishment, it was making them uncomfortable. You can tell there were changes just based on the marketing. Facebook pulled API access to tons of apps and now says the future is privacy. I wonder why? Apple and Google now have official screen time apps. I wonder why? You would suggest they just came to that organically?

But that's just the more benign case, look at White House officials or Hollywood execs people never would have known the name of suddenly having people pry into all the shitty little things they've done and then getting taken to task. If you're willing to push into China knowing what the human cost is, chances are there are other lapses of morality.

Nihilism isn't really a realistic look at the world, it's just a coping tool to justify how powerless you feel.

They did all those things because it was profitable for them to do so.

Any executives who feel uncomfortable will simply be replaced with someone who doesn't care.

I am not saying nothing can be done, I'm saying that bad PR is irrelevant without an impact to their profitability.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
At least Samsung won't be manufacturing phones in China any more. Companies need to start moving away to be less dependent, but of course certain components and rare earth materials will be coming from China so every company will still at least be partially dependent on China. But when you only depend on China for some components instead of the entire manufacturing process, the Chinese government won't hold as much sway.

This is all moot for Apple who will bend over backwards to do whatever the Chinese government tells them because they sell allot of iPhones in China.

I agree.

Does anyone knows Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony stance?

They already are. All consoles get manufactured in China. It's completely impossible to disengage from China. No ethical consumption yadda yadda.

Nintendo had already moved their hardware production from China.

Not sure about Microsoft or Sony.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
At least Samsung won't be manufacturing phones in China any more.
FYI Samsung is closing their own manufacturing plant in China, but that doesn't mean it won't manufacture smartphones there. They have contracted Chinese ODMs to make some of their stuff like Galaxy A10s. Analysts predict that they will ship 30-40 million smartphones made in China by the end of 2019.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"However, over the past several days we received credible information, from the Hong Kong Cybersecurity and Technology Crime Bureau, as well as from users in Hong Kong, that the app was being used maliciously to target individual officers for violence and to victimize individuals and property where no police are present. This use put the app in violation of Hong Kong law. Similarly, widespread abuse clearly violates our App Store guidelines barring personal harm."

I can't believe you bought this.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Well what else am I supposed to buy?

Yes, I'm basing Apple's decision on a statement that Apple made. How is that any less reasonable at present than implying that CCP pressured them to remove it because of the protests alone?
Do you afford that same trust to Trump and everyone else who doesn't actually have your best interests at heart yet constantly claims to?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see.

This thread is wild with the phone wars. All the mocking comments about people ditching iPhone are confusing too. Ditch iPhone to get a google phone which similarly has bowed to the Chinese government and will harvest my data? No thanks.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
In related news, pro democracy cantopop songer Denise Ho is having a concert in London tonight and it's being picketed by Pro CCP flag wavers.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Do you afford that same trust to Trump and everyone else who doesn't actually have your best interests at heart yet constantly claims to?

That's somewhat of a false equivalence, no?

Trump is distrusted by many because he routinely says things which are then countered by others.

I don't think (although I'm open to correction) that this is the same case here.

Apple have removed something, there's been a bit of uproar, and then they've released a statement.

Not really sure what Trump has to do with it in all honesty !

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
That's somewhat of a false equivalence, no?

Trump is distrusted by many because he routinely says things which are then countered by others.

I don't think (although I'm open to correction) that this is the same case here.

Apple have removed something, there's been a bit of uproar, and then they've released a statement.

Not really sure what Trump has to do with it in all honesty !
A corporation is as trustworthy as a politician. Especially that one. I don't know why anyone would trust either.

Nov 1, 2017
Blizzard isn't alone in its awful decisions lately it seems. If anything, Apple is more of a double standard for letting other apps with similar issues stay on their store.