• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
According to our source, after many months of planning, Apple plans to deploy 1Password internally to all 100,000 employees. This includes not just employees in Cupertino, but extends all the way to retail, too. Furthermore, the company is said to have carved out a deal that includes family plans, giving up to 5 family members of each employee a free license for 1Password. With more and more emphasis on security in general, and especially at Apple, there are a number of reasons this deal makes sense. We're told that 100 Apple employees will start using 1Password through this initiative starting this week, with the full 100,000 users expected to be activated within the next one to two months.

Apple had very specific requirements for this deal, code-named B2, all around, as you would expect. Some of these include a maximum 4-hour response time (SLA) through customer support for Apple employees, translations of all 1Password support pages into all major international languages, and plenty more. In fact, since AgileBits wasn't even prepared for this kind of influx of users, the company turned to a third-party call management service that will help to provide phone support in order to fulfill the contractual requirements of the deal. Apple is also using the stand-alone version of 1Password — at first the company considered using the version that includes AgileBits syncing service that routes through cloud providers like Amazon AWS, but Apple quickly decided that wasn't acceptable. The standalone version of the software lets users sync through iCloud, something Apple is undoubtedly more comfortable with.
https://bgr.com/2018/07/10/apple-1password-acquisition-deal/

iCloud Keychain getting a much needed boost?

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been a huge fan of 1Password for years. I'm still rocking the standalone version. As long as Apple keeps that version in tact and doesn't require syncing with iCloud or whatever, I think I'm good with that acquisition.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
1Password was ruined by the mandatory sub. If Apple acquires it and implements it in one of their current subs, I will definitely give it a second chance.

Oct 25, 2017
The title of the story is misleading as hell. The only bit on an acqui-hire is this:
AgileBits' annual revenue is said to be around the $5 million to $10 million range, and our source told us the company would most likely sell for two to three times revenue. Could Apple just be kicking the tires before diving in? Possibly, but it would seem unlikely at this point. Either this deal is the actual acquisition, structured in a way that provides additional annual revenue for a set number of years, or there's something else going on.

Apr 1, 2018
How is any of that good news? if it's true what they're saying it means that Appl- i mean Cupertino doesn't trust whatever they serve to their customer.

Oct 25, 2017
Been a huge fan of 1Password for years. I'm still rocking the standalone version. As long as Apple keeps that version in tact and doesn't require syncing with iCloud or whatever, I think I'm good with that acquisition.

For me as someone who syncs with iCloud, my only concern is like you the perpetual license.

But I guess if they bought this it'd probably become a default app at some point.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Locking Thread.

1Password denied it, so no news here for now. If more news pops up, feel free to make a new thread. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.